watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Need to buy a laptop...

Started by Burt, June 28, 2012, 05:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

After months of nagging I am giving in to Burt Jr's request for his own laptop.

I need something which is a good blend between him doing his school work (he starts his GCSEs next year, a lot of his work has to be done using the school's portal or using the internet for research), and gaming (whilst he uses his PS3 for the most part, he uses my PC for Sims and Civ4).

And preferably something which doesn't cost an arm and a leg  :dft011:

Any recommendations gratefully received.

mr-ska

ive got a Toshiba Satellite...  it cost £323 from Argos...   got a years free Macfee and Spotify aswell as a years warranty.

Really pleased with it.

elgreenio

You don't need all that much then really, can't think that Sims and Civ 4 would be that intensive on the machine. I personally wouldn't go to Argos because the chances of getting anything done if something goes wrong after the warranty period is zero. I've got a few sites bookmarked on my pc which I can pm you to look at. Anti Virus thrown in is completely minimal and shouldn't sway your decision either (though a lot of big stores will package them in the total price).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
touch my camera through the fence

Ron Sheepskin

Dell tend to be pretty reliable. Entry level laptop (which should be fine for homework/gaming) is £299 inc vat, deliver and anti virus. You get 1 year collect and return warranty too.

The only downside with Dell laptops is the battery life is truly awful. You don't get a great deal of time on battery power, and the battery itself will pack in after 2 - 3 years. My Dell is 4 years old, on it's second battery, third power 'brick', but otherwise absolutely fine.
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

Jimpav

Hello Burt,

Firstly, please accept my apologises for not RSVP'ing for your Motspur park tour. I was in Greece when dates were finalised and missed the boat.

Secondly, I echo Sheepskins thoughts and recommend Dell. Good value and do what they say on the tin. All set up ready to go which is handy if you are at technophobic.

I got a vostro with plenty of storage and intel processor for around £350-400.

Berserker

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

mr-ska

My warranty is with Toshiba not argos..  with options to extend. Its worked out fine for me thats why i recommended it..

dishEJtheRock!

might cost more than you like but if he likes gaming and has a ps3 a sony vaio isnt a bad option.
because its sony it comes with a couple features that work with the ps3, like remote keyboard and you can remotely access your ps3 from anywhere you have internet.

i bought one when the garbage tablets my college forced us to buy broke, and its been great. cost me $500 but i dont have one good enough to run new PC games, its going to cost more for one that can. i use this mostly for school though

Boggers

Quote from: dishEJtheRock! on June 28, 2012, 11:11:56 PM
might cost more than you like but if he likes gaming and has a ps3 a sony vaio isnt a bad option.
because its sony it comes with a couple features that work with the ps3, like remote keyboard and you can remotely access your ps3 from anywhere you have internet.

i bought one when the garbage tablets my college forced us to buy broke, and its been great. cost me $500 but i dont have one good enough to run new PC games, its going to cost more for one that can. i use this mostly for school though

I can recommend the Sony Vaio too, they're pretty durable, I've taken mine around half of Canada and it's survived numerous bumps and bashes, which might be handy if it's for Burt Jr.
"I never comment on referees and I'm not about to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat" - Ron Atkinson

http://alrightbeav.wordpress.com/

@shutuposhea

nickmuir

Pc world has a nice pc for just over 300 pound. 
But go on hp website thay have very good deals on

Burt

Thanks one and all for your suggestions.

As far as I am concerned, the primary purpose for his laptop is school work, with the gaming piece secondary (although still required).

Of course, Burt Jr's priorities don't quite align with mine.

But it's a case of he who has the wonga carries the day  :dft011:

Looks like I have a busy weekend ahead of me.

King_Crud

I bought a HP thingy. I went to Tottenham Court Road and walked up and down between the computer shops negotiating a good deal. They'll compete for your business, might be worth a couple of hours of your time.