watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Protein Shakes

Started by supersimmo123, June 30, 2012, 04:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersimmo123

Does anyone know if these help when trying to get bigger?

DevonFFC

In a word yes... However you have different types of protein and also many other supplements. Your best off as a novice getting a good all in one, try my protein as its cheap and look at hurricane XS  as a good basic all in one. However you need a good diet and training routine and cannot just rely on protein powders alone to gain mass

dishEJtheRock!

whey protein is fast absorbing protein thats good after a workout, casein protein is a slower digesting protein thats good at night so your body has a source of protein while you sleep.

the truth is most people get adequate amount of protein in their every day diet, but a lot of athletes are on stricter diets and protein shakes are a nice way to get a lot of their protein need without excess calories. tuna is an amazing food too. it has a ton of protein without much fat or sugar

if your just looking to get bigger you should try creatine. I like the creatine HCL because it comes in a pill and your body doesnt retain a lot of water, but any creatine will help. you will be able to work out a lot harder and it definitly helps with recovery

supersimmo123

to be honest the recover is what shoots be down every time i have had a big session the day before i ache and cant do a lot! is protein better than creatine for this?

MOR :

To get bigger all you need is a curry a day with all the extras and as many pints of your favourite alcoholic tipple you can take. By the time you're in your fifties you will be the size of a brick

Trust me I know...

jarv

Don't know. For a few years now I have been trying to get a bit smaller. (around the middle). :005:

SKSW6

Eat ~500 calories above maintenance
1g of protein per lb of bodyweight (that figure might be too high, but no harm in sticking to it)
Plenty of green veg
Search on the internet for decent routines which have been tested by tons of people over time (starting strength, strong lifts etc are good, well researched and verified ways of building strength as a beginner).
Don't do a bodybuilder's routine.
Get ~8 hours sleep a night.

BlaWhiArmyyyyyy

Im training to be a personal trainer. They do work, but depends what you mean as in bigger. Bigger muscle mass or bigger as in weight gain? If your gonna use them then you need to start up a consistent workout routine and have a healthy eating diet!

bigglesfc

Hey guys.

You need to be careful with too much protein and creatine.  I have been working out for more than 25 years and have tried different proteins etc.  I find they work best directly after workout within 30 minutes but I limit the amounts I take about 2/3 of recommended on package and only once per day.  Different body types will put on weight different, and protein and creatine shakes will not work the same for everyone.   

Creatine can make you retain a lot of water, and as a result you may get some swelling/bloating/puffiness.  It also will put extra stress on your kidneys and liver.

Protein or creatine will not generally help with the soreness after a workout and this is the result of the muscles tearing and rebuilding and also may be the build up of latic acid after exercise.

The best results come from diet, a good diet, rest and exercise.  Good luck. 

michaelread

http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html

give this a read, bookmark it, it's very helpful and informative. It's something that you can refer to at any time. There is a section on protein powders and general supplements in both. For me, I take wild fish oil 6-9 capsules a day, caffeine tablets on a 2 week on and off cycle, and basic protein powders. Regardless though, all the protein powder in the world is useless if you don't work hard. And if you're looking to gain some muscular mass, you MUST record your stats and lifts. Base your progress on those numbers and the look/feel will come.

also this is very helpful too http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh%27s_Worksheet_(WIP)

MOR :

Funny enough I've been trying as well but I lack the one thing neccessary WILL POWER...

MOR :

Quote from: MOR : on July 01, 2012, 12:52:13 PM

Funny enough I've been trying as well but I lack the one thing neccessary WILL POWER...
That's weight loss I'm talking about...

Mr_Moon

The best supplement is water, but yes protein shakes can be beneficial.