https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Masterclass

Started by Peabody, July 01, 2012, 08:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

By Spain. Who needs Strikers?

MJG

Don't see what the fuss is about. Whenever we have played Dempsey as the No 9 its like playing with six midfielders anyway.

Burt

They don't look unduly troubled, do they? Good stuff.

The Doctor

I know Spain have been pretty much in control all evening, but how cruel was that injury to Motta?  What little hope the Italians had went with him

cebu

The right team won, but the injury to Motta and the late goals make Italy sound like rubbish, which they weren't. Perhaps Italy was the surprise team of the tournament?

Mr Fulham

Quote from: cebu on July 02, 2012, 01:49:07 AM
The right team won, but the injury to Motta and the late goals make Italy sound like rubbish, which they weren't. Perhaps Italy was the surprise team of the tournament?
Definitely. Result was cruel and 2-0 would've been an appropriate result for the match. Spain had their moments of magic, but Italy wasn't that bad really.

By the way, I think it really is a negative development that the best teams in the world play without any strikers now.

dishEJtheRock!

Quote from: Mr Fulham on July 02, 2012, 02:42:48 AM
By the way, I think it really is a negative development that the best teams in the world play without any strikers now.

ive played midfield for as long ive played the game, but i couldnt agree with you more. it seems like every team has moved from having 2 strikers to having 1, so much 4-5-1 and 4-2-3-1 (when did this one become so widely used?).

as a product of american youth soccer development i wont know what to do when no on plays 4-4-2 because it is the only system we seem to have over here.

MJG

For anyone wanting to read about the history of tactics and how we got to 4-6-0, one book is 'inverting the pyramid' by Johnathan Wilson. It predicts the above formation coming into place.

Peabody

Surely the playing without a striker necessitates very skilful players and if that happens, then the game benefits. The only trouble is, if you do not have the skilfil players in the first place.  Either way, Spain were pretty good last night.