watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hose pipe rebel

Started by Scrumpy, July 01, 2012, 11:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrumpy

Incase overseas posters don't know, after several dry winters here in the UK we had a hose-pipe ban enforced in April. Since then we have had the wettest ever April, May and June, with flash floods all over the Country and rarely a day goes by without it raining pretty heavily. Over the last 2 months, I have twice had to take a diversion on the way home from work, to avoid flooded roads. Most Water Companies lifted their ban a couple of weeks back, so things are back to normal in most places.

I thought we were Thames Water - but turns out we're South East Water  fp.gif. Thames Water have lifted their ban, SE water have not. A week ago I cleaned half the patio with a hose fed pressure washer and on Saturday I finished the job. These fellas are quite noisy and can be heard from a few houses away. Anyway, after about an hour of cleaning on Saturday my neighbour pops over and says 'You do realise that we still have a hose-pipe ban?'. So I look like a muppet and  promptly pack the pressure washer away and feel a bit stupid. He's a decent enough bloke and knew that I wouldn't have done it on purpose.

My question is................will all my neighbours now hate me? Can I expect dog poo through the door now? How would you react?
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

VicHalomsLovechild

I'd shun you at the Thursday Sherry evening get together's and find another Bridge partner. You'd still be welcome at the Tennis Club wife swapping sessions though.

jarv

You made a genuine mistake, if he doesn't see the funny side of it then I would probably just ignore him in future. (or aim the power washer in his direction!).

LBNo11

...with a couple of our neighbours a shovel load of dog excrement through the letterbox would constitute as a home improvement..!
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Lighthouse

I think you will find that cleaning a patio and walls etc comes under health and safety and hygiene and as such you did not break any rules. Although you could post something nice through their letter box and see how they would clean it up without using water.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Scrumpy

Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on July 01, 2012, 11:11:37 PM
I'd shun you at the Thursday Sherry evening get together's and find another Bridge partner. You'd still be welcome at the Tennis Club wife swapping sessions though.

You must live locally, or that is a bloody good guess!

Berserker

I come under Thames Water and i thought our ban was still in place. Thought it was a bit rich having a hose pipe ban in Swindon in the first place as it's hardly the driest place, but as i live not far from the source of the Thames I come under Thames Water. Sorry rant over. Last time we had a ban Mr Scrumpy a man along the road from me took the water from the fire brigade manhole so as not to have it show on his meter.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Scrumpy

Quote from: Berserker on July 01, 2012, 11:29:37 PM
I come under Thames Water and i thought our ban was still in place. Thought it was a bit rich having a hose pipe ban in Swindon in the first place as it's hardly the driest place, but as i live not far from the source of the Thames I come under Thames Water. Sorry rant over. Last time we had a ban Mr Scrumpy a man along the road from me took the water from the fire brigade manhole so as not to have it show on his meter.

You see, feelings run high don't  they? Btw, your ban has definately been lifted.

Berserker

Oh good i've been struggling with buckets washing my car, now i can use the hose pipe, obviously don't need it for the garden!
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Lighthouse

Exemptions:

The following will be exempted from the restriction:

i) using a hosepipe in a garden or for cleaning walls or windows of domestic premises, paths or patios, a private leisure boat or an artificial outdoor surface, where such use is necessary for health and safety reasons

you can get away with a lot if you look at the small print
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

HatterDon

I thought this thread was about a trendy new band.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Ron Sheepskin

Quote from: HatterDon on July 02, 2012, 01:17:20 AM

I thought it was a spinoff about Yankee Jim and washing his neighbour's siding...
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

Travers Barney

Quote from: HatterDon on July 02, 2012, 01:17:20 AM

Indeedy me too....Taylor Swift must be due a new album soon Scrumpy
We are the whites