more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Footballers crying at the end of a game

Started by BalDrick, July 02, 2012, 09:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BalDrick

Quote from: Jack Fulham on July 02, 2012, 12:55:46 PM
I cried when Murphy scored vs Pompey. I can see why players do cry on the international stage though, they carry the expectations of an entire nation. After Hamburg, I was just annoyed and depressed though.

That implies you think they actually give a toss about the people and country they're representing. Whatever they may say in interview, do you honestly think Terry's tears after the Italy game were for you and me? They were for the cameras, nothing more, nothing less.

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 02, 2012, 12:43:21 PM
If it's Balotelli we're talking about crying, I'm wondering was he crying because Italy lost or because Shakira was on the sideline laughing and pointing?

No I'm not talking about him; if anything his post-match reaction I found the most honest.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Jack Fulham

Quote from: BalDrick on July 02, 2012, 01:29:57 PM
I cried when Murphy scored vs Pompey. I can see why players do cry on the international stage though, they carry the expectations of an entire nation. After Hamburg, I was just annoyed and depressed though.

That implies you think they actually give a toss about the people and country they're representing. Whatever they may say in interview, do you honestly think Terry's tears after the Italy game were for you and me? They were for the cameras, nothing more, nothing less.

If it's Balotelli we're talking about crying, I'm wondering was he crying because Italy lost or because Shakira was on the sideline laughing and pointing?

No I'm not talking about him; if anything his post-match reaction I found the most honest.

Terry cried when Italy knocked us out?! I didn't think being knocked out in quarters as an emotional moment.

BalDrick

Quote from: Jack Fulham on July 02, 2012, 01:46:59 PM
Quote from: BalDrick on July 02, 2012, 01:29:57 PM

Terry cried when Italy knocked us out?! I didn't think being knocked out in quarters as an emotional moment.

I'm sure I saw him shedding his crocodile tears after the game, may be wrong I suppose. May also be his last international tournament.

Oiseau

In my opinion it's understandable when footballers cry. It drives me up the wall when people bash Ronaldo's 'masculinity' (as if that's the definition of his worth) because he cried. People can get caught up in the emotion of a situation extremely easily. It's human. Zoltan Gera crying after the final is an image that I can't get out of my mind - it obviously meant a lot to him and that's nice to see. That's not to say that players who don't cry don't care, either. Pirlo crying last night was similarly harrowing.

I definitely agree with posters in this thread that everyone is different. Some people cry while others don't and that's perfectly acceptable. I don't usually get too teary about the football as far as I can remember. I got a bit emotional after Dempsey's goal in the last home game this season, though (slightly glazed eyes) which was unusual. I don't cry really that much apart from occasionally over some forms of media like books and film (there's a film called Napola that sets me off - the ice sceeeeene.)

Football is the centre of many of these player's lives. Most will grow up dreaming of the opportunity to win a tournament and represent their nation. The chances for success and glory they're given are incredibly few so when they miss out, it's heartbreaking.

Vinnieffc

I won't deny it. I cried with relief after the Pompey game. I'm not particularly disposed to emotional outbreak but I couldn't help it and am not ashamed to say so.

HatterDon

When players (a) play with emotion and are (b) sensitive to the aims and dreams of the supporters, the end of a "big match" has to bring some emotional release. Crying is the most acceptable form of this release. I've seen as many tears at victories as I have at defeats. The body has to release that emotion, but somewhere some idiot came up with the concept that real men don't cry -- which is the very definition of toro pupu
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: BalDrick on July 02, 2012, 02:04:23 PM

I'm not one of those who think it's weak to cry in such highly emotional situations and I really don't fault him for crying. I don't fault athletes for expressing their emotions. It shows they care which an important thing for me as a fan.

Just last night, watching the U.S. Olympic Gymnastics trials, I told my wife that just once I'd like to see one of those little girls pick up a chair and sling it after failing in one of their disciplines. They do cry from time to time, but I can't recall ever seeing one get truly angry about failing themselves.

By the way, I do fault Balotelli for making the pregame statements about inviting Shakira to the game so that he could humble Pique in front of her. It was a pointless, naive thing to do and obviously the reason for my 'joke' at his expense. Spain don't need extra motivation.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

MOR :

Must say the only game I cried after was the 1975 FA Cup final and then I didn't blub until I'd got home and was by myself.

SKSW6

I cried after the Europa League final, not ashamed. I was absolutely hammered though.

BalDrick

'I'm not one of those who think it's weak to cry in such highly emotional situations and I really don't fault him for crying. I don't fault athletes for expressing their emotions. It shows they care which an important thing for me as a fan.'

Not trying to imply there's anything wrong with crying, just wondering what people thought of it. As I said at the top, think I'd be more likely to blub if I was on the winning side.

'Just last night, watching the U.S. Olympic Gymnastics trials, I told my wife that just once I'd like to see one of those little girls pick up a chair and sling it after failing in one of their disciplines.'

I'm pretty sure that's more the type of thing I'd do if I lost.

I do also believe that a lot of these tears are affected, for the cameras.

King_Crud

maybe they'd all bonded pre-game with a night on the disco biscuits and they were all havng come-downs. They can make one quite emotional sometimes

Meerkat

Sheer frustration at losing can make them cry I should think. I don't think any less of a man for crying in fact it shows he has feelings. 

ScalleysDad

I balled my eyes out after my last ever competitive game but then again I had just got my wotsit trapped in the zip in my shorts!

Berserker

Quote from: ScalleysDad on July 02, 2012, 05:28:50 PM
I balled my eyes out after my last ever competitive game but then again I had just got my wotsit trapped in the zip in my shorts!

Years ago I knew a guy who got it actually stuck in his fly and had to go to A&E to have it released. Not sure if he had to have stitches
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

HatterDon

Quote from: Berserker on July 02, 2012, 08:06:39 PM
Quote from: ScalleysDad on July 02, 2012, 05:28:50 PM

Years ago I knew a guy who got it actually stuck in his fly and had to go to A&E to have it released. Not sure if he had to have stitches

if he did, they'd have to be made of elastic.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Burt

I had a quiet tear when we got promoted to the prem.

Never before, and not since.

Mitch

Just finished a match myself. We came back from 4-1 down to win 7-5 in the second half and knock the other team out of the competition finishing top of the group. No one cried.

LRCN

i cant imagine a player ever crying for the cameras. ever.

BalDrick

Logicalman

Quote from: MOR : on July 02, 2012, 04:35:37 PM
Must say the only game I cried after was the 1975 FA Cup final and then I didn't blub until I'd got home and was by myself.

Me and you both then, except mine started as I stood at the 'Fulham' end and saw my players applaud those I stood with. As I grow older I well up with nostalgia, especially where Fulham is concerned, but I was 16 1/2 at Wembley, and that's the first time I can recall doing that.