watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Footballers crying at the end of a game

Started by BalDrick, July 02, 2012, 09:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BalDrick

So, this has always confused me. I think if I had lost a game, my overriding emotion would be more one of annoyance than upset. Whereas I think the emotion of actually winning would be far more likely to make me blub.

Maybe it's different for fans, I don't know. At the end of the Europa final, I certainly didn't feel like crying. Whereas seeing either of our goals in the semi, or indeed remembering singing Stand Up if You Still Believe, still to this day makes me fill up a bit.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

leonffc

I think its pathetic. Even young kids crying has always confused (and annoyed) me.
I used to me angry after a loss but cry?

cottage cheese

its a natural emotion that comes about.

Everyone is different. Take certain movies in which guys and girls have litrally cried and cried while i have just sat there. It should not confuse you seeing as you have different emotions and different ways of dealing with things.

Also take in the scenario you play out of your skin but lose to a last min goal. That sudden change in feeling and emotion would make players cry.

AlFayedsChequebook

I think it just shows how much it meant to the players.

As a fan I have never cried after a match, and at the end of the Europa League final I was more depressed that Fulham would probably never get that close to a European trophy again in my life time.

But for the players, who have invested all their time, energy and emotions into trying to win the thing - the disappointment and emotional exhaustion could easily lead to tears. Have you never had a point where you have been so exhausted and emotionally drained that you have cried?

BalDrick

'Also take in the scenario you play out of your skin but lose to a last min goal. That sudden change in feeling and emotion would make players cry.'

But that's not what happened - they were outplayed and outclassed from the get-go. I sometimes feel players do this crying thing to order - didn't Terry cry after the Italians beat us in the quarters?

'Have you never had a point where you have been so exhausted and emotionally drained that you have cried?'

No, but that may be because I'm a lazy at the best of times. I cried at my mum's funeral, and plenty before and afterwards, and at the birth of my kids, but that's about all I think. I'm not especially cold, though I can turn feelings off sometimes.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Mitch

I cry when Mufasa dies in the Lion King. Every time.

It's probably a mixture of pent up emotions - anger, annoyance, sadness all let out. EDIT - Bonnuci, not me watching the Lion King.

cottage cheese

Quote from: BalDrick on July 02, 2012, 09:47:01 AM
'Also take in the scenario you play out of your skin but lose to a last min goal. That sudden change in feeling and emotion would make players cry.'

But that's not what happened - they were outplayed and outclassed from the get-go. I sometimes feel players do this crying thing to order - didn't Terry cry after the Italians beat us in the quarters?

'Have you never had a point where you have been so exhausted and emotionally drained that you have cried?'

No, but that may be because I'm a lazy fecker at the best of times. I cried at my mum's funeral, and plenty before and afterwards, and at the birth of my kids, but that's about all I think. I'm not especially cold, though I can turn feelings off sometimes.

well you have answered the question in itself. You say you are lazy and therefore that explains why you have a different emotion!. The players were chasing shadows for most of the match and that frustration took its toll

MJG

Quote from: Mitch on July 02, 2012, 09:48:54 AM
I cry when Mufasa dies in the Lion King. Every time.

It's probably a mixture of pent up emotions - anger, annoyance, sadness all let out. EDIT - Bonnuci, not me watching the Lion King.
I cry ay the end of Field of Dreams but apart from that not at football.

SouthfieldWhite

I think Cottage Cheese is spot on, everyone is different, you didn't see all players cry, ballotelli showed his emotions in a different way by storming off

A lot is down to adrenalin , for such big games as last night, you're adrenalin would be flowing and when you've put so much effort in and then lose , you may well feel like crying or storming off or whatever as your emotions would of changed for before the final whistle

Players might feel they've let theirselves , their family or fans down so might feel the emotion to cry

Once again everyone is different and will express their feelings in different ways

Mitch

Balotelli looked close to it when he came back out. Then again, he's 21 and won it all, with the exception of anything internationally where his career has just started, so he probably isn't used to losing.

SG

I'm with Baldrick on this - just dont get it particularly little kids when their team has been relegated from the Premiership. Get a life and get real (imho !)

Lighthouse

I am never convinced of players crying or reading out Respect speeches or rolling about on the ground. If people cry at films or books then it makes sense as they are designed to play with the emotions. But I feel suicidal after a a relegation and even bitter with hatred. But tears at losing? I don't think so. Our stiff upper lip resolve may have something to do with it. Really we should only cry at films and a loss of a pet. Pull yourselves together.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Rupert

I don't recall seeing any Fulham players or fans crying after the Europa League final on TV, just a lot of disappointed, but proud, people showing the right way to take this sort of thing. Standing up straight, watching the winners collect their trophy, then crowd and team saluted eachother and left the arena.

Maybe this was because we really did have something to be proud of, having overcome some of the top Euopean teams just to get there, and having gone with realistic expectations, or maybe it is because most of our lot are simply mature.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Mitch

...or at the end of Homeward Bound when the oldest dog, the golden retriever, that you think is dead comes bounding over the hill. Tears in abundance.

I didn't cry when we lost in Hamburg, but I did well up. A year of build up only to use; however had we won, i'm pretty sure I'd have been balling my eyes out. Weird eh!?

Mitch

Quote from: Rupert on July 02, 2012, 12:28:27 PM
I don't recall seeing any Fulham players or fans crying after the Europa League final on TV, just a lot of disappointed, but proud, people showing the right way to take this sort of thing. Standing up straight, watching the winners collect their trophy, then crowd and team saluted eachother and left the arena.

Maybe this was because we really did have something to be proud of, having overcome some of the top Euopean teams just to get there, and having gone with realistic expectations, or maybe it is because most of our lot are simply mature.

Panstil and Gera were definitely in tears.

sipwell

Quote from: BalDrick on July 02, 2012, 09:47:01 AM

No, but that may be because I'm a lazy fecker at the best of times. I cried at my mum's funeral, and plenty before and afterwards, and at the birth of my kids, but that's about all I think. I'm not especially cold, though I can turn feelings off sometimes.

Still you have lived on hope that you will win the cup. You have fought for it in several tough games, beaten England and Germany on the way to the final. And then you end up losing.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

ToodlesMcToot

If it's Balotelli we're talking about crying, I'm wondering was he crying because Italy lost or because Shakira was on the sideline laughing and pointing?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

jarv

When Fulham conceded in extra time, watching glued to my computer, my first reaction was disbelief....f***,f***,f*** then realising there was only 3 minutes left a massive feeling of disappointment came over me and I admit, my eyes welled up a bit. Same thing at the final whistle at Wembley in 1975.  More :56: than :dft004:

Berserker

I expect alot of players feel emotional at both winning and losing, some would bottle it up at all cost and others let go. Depends on your culture and nationality as well. I would imagine as Italians are very passionate people they would not have a.problem showing emotion
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Jack Fulham

I cried when Murphy scored vs Pompey. I can see why players do cry on the international stage though, they carry the expectations of an entire nation. After Hamburg, I was just annoyed and depressed though.