Started by craig10, July 03, 2012, 10:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craig10

In hospital - Menigitis scare, hope all is well

AlFayedsChequebook

Meningitis is awful.

Get well soon Daniel

ScalleysDad

Ditto that thought. Back in the dark ages my sister had it and the impact on the house was immense. Treatment is better these days but all the same best wishes to him.

leonffc

Quote from: ScalleysDad on July 03, 2012, 11:48:46 PM
Ditto that thought. Back in the dark ages my sister had it and the impact on the house was immense. Treatment is better these days but all the same best wishes to him.

You dont go much in to the outcome of your sister SD, and I'm not here to pry but my little boy had it in Gran Canaria when he was 4 (7 years ago). It absolutley scared me to death, partly because my first ever memory of a hospital was when I was about 4, going to see my dads best mate just before he died of it.
The problem is, you don't really hear the success stories, just the terrible ones where tots lose their limbs, or worse!
As you probably know, there are two strains of it, the viral one and the menencoccal (spelling?) one where it gets into your spinal chord and the real damage is done. Luis had the menencoccal strain but luckily made a full recovery, thanks to my Mrs not believing the idiot in the local medical centre and the staff in the main hospital in the capital on the island who were brilliant (although very different to our hospitals in their methods).
Its a terrible terrible illness and I wish Daniel Sturridge (and anyone else with it) all the very very best with his recovery.

ScalleysDad

I'm very glad to hear all went well. Treatment is so much better these days but it sounds like you had a rollercoaster as well.
She got through it, the M version, but was off school for about 15 months and I was off for quite a while as the Doctors could not decide if I was a risk or not. We would have ten and eleven then. No daytime tele then so I became a lego/meccano genius when not packed off to my Uncles in East Ham. My sister spent the first six months in an isolation ward at the big hospital in Croydon, is it/was it St Georges. This was 71 so its a while back and I remember spending most evennings on a bus going back and forth with my parents who ultimately cracked and split up. Could have done without the 'they are the single parent family' tag seemingly gleefully announced when we went up to collect our free dinners or the little bottle of milk. Rehab into school took a while, like a term and a bit, but she got an nvq type thing at the end of it and packed herself to the childrens hospital in Carshalton to be an auxillary nurse in the acute care section. I visited lots of times and have to say it took guts to work on that ward. She was always a bit fragile but robust enough to marry and have two fine lads. We shared quite alot including, and ultimately, Cancer which we both had in 2004 over the same eight month period give or take a couple of weeks. You learn the terminology quite quickly and I was the first to click that her prognosis was going to worse than mine so once again we circled the wagons and spent lots of time in our own little world. I did a completely unrehearsed eulogy to a mass of people who came from far and wide and a couple of weeks ago her eldest got married and his brother, who was the best man, copied it. Forget crying at the end of a football match! Sheesh.
I hope all continues to go well. 

leonffc

Wow, your story there makes mine look like a holiday (although we were supossed to be on holiday at the time).
He got ill on the first day, intesive care for three days followed by a spell on the isloation ward. They pumped him full of antibiotics and we were allowed to fly home on our scheduled flight (only just though - we nearly had to spend Christmas out there) providing we continued to inject him when we got home - we just whisked him to Stevenage hospital as soon as we got home where they treated him as an out patient!!
The recovery was amazing, from really thinking I wouldnt see him again to sitting up in bed after three days is something I often reminise about.
The hardest part was being so far from home with little support. We didn't know our way round the resort let alone the island. The staff spoke little English and I spoke very little Spanish. Their manner is to take the child away from the parent to treat them and he was obviously scared out of his mind being whisked off down dark corridors by people he couldnt understand. I had to fight to be with him!!
Once he was out of Intensive care one of us was allowed to stay with him and the other had to try and give our elder daughter a holiday in shift patterns.
That first night I sent them back and sat outside his ward. When I went for a walk outside the hospital I tried phoning my parents and broke down before I could finish dialing. I had to practice by phoning a pal of mine. Deciding I needed something to eat I walked in to the hospital canteen and there before me was ...... A San Miguel draught pump on the counter.

As I say though, mine really did seem like a holiday compared to your experience. And sorry to hear about the cancer with both of you too. All is well with him thanks. Despite warnings that his behaviour, hearing etc could deteriate over the first few years he is as good as gold, fit, strong and athletic so I consider him (us) so very very lucky.

ScalleysDad

And so to bed on a high note.

San Miguel on draught ............. you big girl !!!!!!!

leonffc

Quote from: ScalleysDad on July 06, 2012, 12:21:37 AM

Trust me. That came in handy that morning and every night when he went to sleep  065.gif

It beats the tea and coffee served up in our hospitals!

ScalleysDad

Quote from: leonffc on July 06, 2012, 07:33:32 AM
Quote from: ScalleysDad on July 06, 2012, 12:21:37 AM

Trust me. That came in handy that morning and every night when he went to sleep  065.gif

It beats the tea and coffee served up in our hospitals!

So true. Chemotherapy wards often adopt a dark sense of humour. One guy near me almost celebrated the fact he would'nt have to sit through another atrocious England performance but the general one was 'if the big C did'nt get you the food and beverges would'. My wife smuggled in macaroni cheese and tubs of ice cream on a regular basis.