watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army

Started by bog, July 06, 2012, 09:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

What is your oldest piece of Fulham memorabilia that you bought at the time of being available? Mine are some badges of players that a bloke used to sell outside the ground back in the '50's. Ian Black, Charlie Mitten amongst others.
My oldest programme is a March 1939 v Newcastle but I was given that.

092.gif   

TonyGilroy

I used to collect those plastic badges. White with photos of players glued on.

Long since thrown away sadly.

bog

I had forgotten them until I was clearing out some of my rubbish as my wife refers to...much nostalgia there.

OldBrownShoe

Anyone remember the religious nut evangelising on his soap box not far from the gates outside the Cottage? Those were the days.  087.gif

I had loads of those badges too.

Anyone confess to having one of those old fashioned rattles?  scarf
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

WhiteJC

I have a program from the day I was born, my Dad was at the game

Fulham v Sheff Utd, 1st Nov 1958

I was named after the Maestro  :54:

TonyGilroy

Quote from: OldBrownShoe on July 06, 2012, 09:50:37 AM
Anyone confess to having one of those old fashioned rattles? 

Of course.

CorkedHat

Quote from: TonyGilroy on July 06, 2012, 10:19:52 AM
Quote from: OldBrownShoe on July 06, 2012, 09:50:37 AM
Anyone confess to having one of those old fashioned rattles? 

Of course.

Me too - although at some stage it became red and yellow in honour of the Wimbledon Speedway team - sorry
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

bog

What an honour whitejc. And OBS I think I do recall that bloke having a regular rant. Also, a bit later, there used to be a chap who stood at the Hammy End behind the goal. Always well dressed with a posh hat on he used to smoke a pipe. One day there was a shot that went over the bar and soon there was a volcanic blast upwards as the ball had knocked the pipe out of his mouth.

092.gif  

Burt

A white silk scarf is the earliest thing I still have. It used to be tied proudly to my wrist.

I also still have all the programs to all the matches I attended before I stopped buying them, so it includes the first ever match I attended back in '74.

bog

I know that my first game was in 1953, I just wish me long gone father had kept the programme. 

cmg

Rattle - large, loud, very annoying, especially if used in a confined space (eg tunnel into Bishop's Park or District Line U/G train). Ex-WW2 gas warning rattle, painted black and white (but in stripes, if I remember, which was a bit silly of me)

Most of the progs are long gone. I still have a few - but it is great to have Phil Cowan's wonderful website for the full set.
I've found an old FFCSC membership card from as late as 1964-5, annual fee 2/6.

There is also a rather fine school portrait photo of a 10 year old me, beautifully Brylcreemed hair, pristine Primary school blazer on the lapel of which can clearly be seen one of those white plastic star badges with the smiling features of the Maestro himself.

SG

I too had a WW2 gas warning rattle. Very loud and very proud.

LBNo11

...these were the star badges, although I remember them I never bought one, these I found on the internet...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

cmg

Quote from: LBNo11 on July 07, 2012, 10:38:48 AM

...these were the star badges, although I remember them I never bought one, these I found on the internet...

...and a fair selection of the talent available at the time. Three of the greatest players ever to lace on a pair of boots.

Berserker

How old do you have to be an old sod by the way?
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

WhiteJC

LBNo11

Quote from: Berserker on July 07, 2012, 12:26:14 PM

...according to some, just being a member of this site qualifies, irrespective of our ages, we are all 'the old contemptibles'..!
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

HatterDon

Quote from: LBNo11 on July 07, 2012, 01:09:59 PM
Quote from: Berserker on July 07, 2012, 12:26:14 PM

...according to some, just being a member of this site qualifies, irrespective of our ages, we are all 'the old contemptibles'..!

Ah, I'll never walk alone.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

GoldCoastWhite

I think it's more of a state of mind.  092.gif And I don't own any particularly old memorabilia (I am very proud of my black sweatshirt and Adidas shorts with the "old" crest on them) but I have met Corked Hat, a living, breathing piece of Fulham memorabilia if ever there was one  :005: