watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do you think that Roy knows this?

Started by FatFreddysCat, April 05, 2010, 01:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFreddysCat

Yes the pacific starts tonight at 9pm , i'm sure Roy has set aside time to watch it. There you go, it's now Fulham related  :dft012: .

Admin

After yesterdays win, do you think Roy made a breakfast stick this morning using half a french stick, 3 eggs, 4 rations of bacon, mushrooms, good old english butter, red sauce all washed down with a cup of coffee, two sugars?

I mean, the mans got to eat so it is very plausable and best of all, it's Fulham related  :62:

FatFreddysCat

Just watched the first two episodes, very good, though i prefer band of Brothers, the whole Nip war just aint funky enough. And that sounds just the sort of breakfast that Woy should eat, he deserves it.

Scrumpy

Bugrit! I meant to watch this.  :035:

I missed it because I dozed off (Fulham related dreams).
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Tom

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on April 05, 2010, 10:53:15 PM
Just watched the first two episodes, very good, though i prefer band of Brothers, the whole Nip war just aint funky enough.
+1, tough to beat band of brothers.
Fulham for life!

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Scrumpy on April 05, 2010, 11:04:48 PM
Bugrit! I meant to watch this.  :035:

I missed it because I dozed off (Fulham related dreams).
Your in luck Scrumpy, it's on Sky anytime. My God i'm a font of knowledge  :028: .

FatFreddysCat

Cant Hanks and Speilberg do a Nam series? Nam was sexy football. Plus loads of Stones music in the background   :54: . Have i ever regailed you about my escapades with Andy McNab in Iraq   :028: .

Logicalman

Ahh, they could do one about Christmas 1915, WWI, when the British and German troops had an impromptu game of footie.

"...On Christmas Eve 1915, a peace overture came from the German lines. On Christmas Day, after a night of carol singing, Bertie Felstead, a private in the Royal Welch Fusiliers recalled that feelings of goodwill had so swelled up that at dawn Bavarian and British soldiers clambered spontaneously out of their trenches. A football was produced from somewhere – though none could recall from where. "It wasn't a game as such, more a kick-around and a free-for-all. There could have been 50 on each side for all I know. I played because I really liked football. I don't know how long it lasted, probably half an hour...Felstead died on 22 July 2001, aged 106"

Bet they didn't have Roy's breakfast of the breakfast stick using half a french stick, 3 eggs, 4 rations of bacon, mushrooms, good old English butter, red sauce all washed down with a cup of coffee, two sugars, though!!

I seem to have surpassed myself there, History AND Football together, AND England vs Germany!!!

FatFreddysCat

Very good LM 10/10  :54: . Just thought Scotty, Where's the fecking SAUSAGES in that stick?  :dft007:  :014:  :046: .

Rupert

Quote from: Logicalman on April 05, 2010, 11:34:01 PM
Ahh, they could do one about Christmas 1915, WWI, when the British and German troops had an impromptu game of footie.

"...On Christmas Eve 1915, a peace overture came from the German lines. On Christmas Day, after a night of carol singing, Bertie Felstead, a private in the Royal Welch Fusiliers recalled that feelings of goodwill had so swelled up that at dawn Bavarian and British soldiers clambered spontaneously out of their trenches. A football was produced from somewhere – though none could recall from where. "It wasn't a game as such, more a kick-around and a free-for-all. There could have been 50 on each side for all I know. I played because I really liked football. I don't know how long it lasted, probably half an hour...Felstead died on 22 July 2001, aged 106"

Bet they didn't have Roy's breakfast of the breakfast stick using half a french stick, 3 eggs, 4 rations of bacon, mushrooms, good old English butter, red sauce all washed down with a cup of coffee, two sugars, though!!

I seem to have surpassed myself there, History AND Football together, AND England vs Germany!!!

Generally speaking, the Brits got on quite well with many German regiments in the Great War (except for when they were actively trying to kill eachother), not surprising as many German regiments had historical links to the British army, many having "Waterloo" as a battle honour, for example. Bavarians might have "Blenheim" on their colours, Those from Hanover had been part of the army of King George I, II and III. Hessians had fought against the rebels in the American colonies. Brunswickers and Nassauers had been part of Wellington's Waterloo army. The main friction seems to have been with the Prussians, even other German units often fell out with them, to the extent that newly arrived British Battalions sometimes received messages from their opponents advising them that they were currently facing (for example) Saxons who just wanted a quiet life, but in three days time a Prussian unit would enter the line and please could you give them a hard time.

Try telling that to kids today, they don't believe you.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

epsomraver

I think you are dumming down the horrors of the first world war, I will be going to a place called Rouge banc in Northern France to commemorate the battle there  against Baverian troops of which one A Hitler was a member,  who  on the morning of 9th May 1915 killed  1416 British soldiers in under 4 hours, many killed before they even got out of their trenches,my Grandfather won the DCM and was seriously wounded throwing German grenades back at them, he got the last one wrong,  This battle although it was one of the worst losses of the war in regards to numbers killed and ground gained, which was nil, was overshadowed by the terrible losses of the mainly Aussie soldiers amounting to over 4 thousand in a DAY at Fromelles in July 1916, the Aussie memorial stands on the site of where Rouge Banc village was. Lets not forget

Logicalman

I fail to see any 'dumming down' being done when reporting a single incident from a war that lasted years.
Unfortunately all wars have their casualties, but the incident reported above, on Xmas day, just showed the humanity that still existed, even in a place widely accepted as hell incarnate. Lest we forget they were all somebody's sons, husbands or fathers.

RidgeRider

Quote from: Rupert on April 06, 2010, 12:38:57 AM
Quote from: Logicalman on April 05, 2010, 11:34:01 PM

Hessians had fought against the rebels in the American colonies.

Hey, who you calling a rebel!  :dft011:

epsomraver

Mr logical man, from what I could make out this Xmas truce happened on the same front as where I am going, it was isolated and only happened the once, under threat that it was repeated of firing squad and that was both high commands, my point was that unless you visit the war sector in France and Belgium and see the endless lines of white crosses you cannot comprehend the senseless slaughter,there was no "go easy on us and save it for the prussions nonsense" it really shook me the first time I went

Rupert

First of all, Epsomraver, there was no intent on my part to belittle the experiences of anyone in the Great War, and please accept my apologies if my prattling came across as such.
I am very much into military history, the latest book I read on the Great War was "1918- A Very British Victory" by Peter Hart, well worth buying.
However, I maintain that in war, as in any other way of life, humour does come out, however horrific the circumstances (and it can be argued that black humour keeps soldiers going in many cases), as do acts of humanity in the midst of the carnage. If you ever get the chance to read any issue of "The Wipers Times", the army newspaper produced in the Ypres salient, you can only admire the sangfroid shown by the men in the trenches, the humourous letters to the editor complaining about the potholes that kept appearing in the Menin Road (from enemy shellfire, obviously) and when were the authorities going to deal with them? That sort of thing.
It is a fact that the Christmas Truce of 1914 was the big one, but it was repeated, in smaller numbers and isolated sectors, in 1915, 1916 and 1917.
It is also a fact that units on opposite sides of the line did communicate with eachother, they were often a few scant yards apart, remember, and the human voice carries quite well. Alternatively, use the catapult that usually chucks bombs to chuck a brick with a note tied to it. And, yes, the fight-the-Prussians story is absolutely true.
Such local arrangements carried over to the Second World War, an account of Pegasus Bridge tells of one of the German commanders in Normandy, when in the Western Desert, having an arrangement witrh his British opposite number that the war would stop at 5pm every day. None of this takes away from the horrors of war.

Ridgerider- I think "rebel" is an accurate term for those ruffians and scoundrels who would fight against their mother country, don't you? (This, note, from a re-enactor who occasionally dresses up as a Canadien Militiaman from the French and Indian Wars and has even been known to turn out as a Minuteman to repel the bloodybacks. The only time I wear a redcoat is when I'm in Lally's Regiment, one of the Wild Geese!)
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Logicalman

Quote from: epsomraver on April 06, 2010, 04:12:25 PM
Mr logical man, from what I could make out this Xmas truce happened on the same front as where I am going, it was isolated and only happened the once, under threat that it was repeated of firing squad and that was both high commands, my point was that unless you visit the war sector in France and Belgium and see the endless lines of white crosses you cannot comprehend the senseless slaughter,there was no "go easy on us and save it for the prussions nonsense" it really shook me the first time I went

Unfortunately, you might find that the only 'isolated incident' part of the 1915 story was the game of football, I believe you might need to make out a little more, sir.

Troops from both sides kept their humanity in place, despite the overt blood-thirsty wishes of their masters at the time, and there were a great number of so-called truces, not just between the British and Germans, but the French and Germans also, that spanned from 1914 through 1917, on all fronts. It was a human thing.

Recalling how the humanity of people fared through a conflict of that kind deserves to be celebrated, not demeaned in favor of the waste of life that occurred. War is war, and those that gave their lives should be respected, but lets not forget that in every conflict there are stories of heroes, and not only heroes that caused death, but also those that saved life without killing. Falstead was a hero in my eyes, as every other soldier who fought in the trenches was.

With respect, I fail to understand how you took such umbrage to what was, in all fairness, a true and valid statement, in which no personal opinion was given except that of a person who was there - a first hand account.