A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Straight swap - Carroll for Dempsey, would you

Started by aFFCn_Fan, July 12, 2012, 12:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No extra cash involved Carroll to Liverpool, Dempsey to Scousers, would you be happy?

Yes
38 (73.1%)
No
14 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 46

aFFCn_Fan

I realise this is paper gossip, but assuming there was no real cash involved, would you be happy to see our 29 y/o top goal scoring American (with a year only on his contract), leave in exchange for a big, young, hairy geordie, with potential to become an England star?
@hincharoo

Frankie-Peter Taylor

All day long. I love Clint but Carroll would have a higher profitable value. Only problem would be whether Carroll can play in a 433 where movement and speed are more highly valued than strength and tankability.

twang

If you exclude every other aspect (Dempsey wants CL football, Carroll is worth more, Carroll earns twice as much, Carroll won't be interested in coming here etc etc...) except for just ability and value to the team, then no.

ffctom_b

Carroll would suit the system if we played with two out and out pacy wingers and put crosses in for a him. I think he is good enough with the ball at his feet to play that role too.
twitter @tombrowning1977
Blog ffctomb.blogspot.com

fulhamben

CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

BalDrick

Without taking all the other factors into account, then yep all day long as Clint's clearly not going to extend.

Trouble is, you have to take all that into account don't you? Otherwise might as well be asking whether we'd take a swap deal of Sidders and Etuhu to Barca and various members of the Spain midfield coming our way. Which would also garner a Yes from me.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Sheepskin Junior

No. It's not really a straight swap. Carroll is a striker and Dempsey is a winger. Carroll is good in the air, he is strong and can defend. But he cannot score. Keep Dempsey all day long.
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

hesedmedia

I was torn, but voted yes. Don't think we'd get him for a straight swap, but tend to rate Carroll's potential more highly than most after last season. If murph were still with us to give him an attitude adjustment or two, I would have been less torn.

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Quote from: Sheepskin Junior on July 12, 2012, 04:07:55 PM
No. It's not really a straight swap. Carroll is a striker and Dempsey is a winger. Carroll is good in the air, he is strong and can defend. But he cannot score. Keep Dempsey all day long.

This is the kind of fickle view I hate about football fans.

Andy Carroll scored 11 in 19 for Newcastle and was one of the best players in the league during the first half of 09/10. Liverpool didn't play to his strengths!

Let me take it into Fulham terms for you, having talented midfielders with the ball at their feet like Danny Murphy and Steven Davis only for Lawrie Sanchez to the defence to lump it. Hodgson comes in and tells Danny Murphy to be the play maker, and guess what? We've been worrying for ages who is going to replace him and many of us see him as a legend!

I suppose you think Fernando Torres can't score either? Despite him still being one of the best strikers in world football?

Not happy.

PokerMatt

I'm saying no, only because I don't want our football to involve a big man up front any more. And that's so far from Jol's style as well.

Not because I don't think Carroll has more resale value (he does), but only because I don't think he would be more effective than Clint in Jol's system.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Aldo

Love Clint to bits, but have to say yes. Aside from a much greater market value, we are not likely to keep hold of Clint for much longer anyway.

Carroll can score goals, but just needs a bit of confidence. If Jol thinks he can use him then i think he will be a fantastic signing!

However, doubt we would pay his wage demands!

SmithyFFC

In a second. Carrol, despite a poor season, has the potenial to be 3 times the player Clint is. We won't get him though, unfortunately.
FTID

Burt

In the absence of a target man up front, and given we will need to revert to that style particularly away from home, then he would be a good addition. It would also add to our potency from set pieces, where we generally have not posed enough of a threat in the past.

Unlikely though.