watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (15/07/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 15, 2012, 06:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Chairman ready for battle over Newcastle, West Ham, Man City, Man Utd, Southampton, Fulham & Reading target

Transfer news: Steve Parish is prepared to go to tribunal over Nathaniel Clyne

Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish is determined to extract the club's value for want-away star Nathaniel Clyne.

The 21-year-old is out of contract with the Eagles but is currently training with the south Londoners.

"There is some interest in him," Parish told the Croydon Advertiser.

"Nathaniel is back at the club training and we are dealing with agents, but there is nothing concrete yet.

"We just have to try and reach a solution, but we have to get the right deal for everybody."

If Palace and the buying club can't agree then Parish is prepared to go to a tribunal.

"We have got a figure in mind," he added.

"We think it is a fair value [for the player] and if we have got to go to a tribunal to get that, we feel that we have some solid arguments and we are happy to do that."

Newcastle, West Ham, Manchester City, Fulham, Manchester United, Reading and Southampton are all said to be interested.

http://www.london24.com/sport/championship/crystal-palace/chairman_ready_for_battle_over_newcastle_west_ham_man_city_man_utd_southampton_fulham_reading_target_1_1445069?

WhiteJC

Fulham star: I'm fit and ready to go

Steve Sidwell has recovered from a hernia operation

Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell insists that he is fully fit to play again.

The 29-year-old returned to pre-season training this week after a hernia problem made him miss the last four months of the season.

"It's been tough, I've been in all summer," he told the official website. "I had a bit of a break with the missus and kids as soon as last season ended but I've been here pretty much the whole summer getting fit and it's paid off.

"We're in our first week of pre-season training now and I've felt good. There will probably be a few little niggles here and there but the surgeon said that's completely natural. I feel like I'm on par with the rest of the lads fitness-wise.

"It was tough coming in when everyone else was off. It's the first time I've had to do that. I'm not someone who usually gets injured so to be in when everyone else is on a break is difficult. You're doing the work on your own as well which is hard but the fitness lads were first class. Hopefully, it's onwards and upwards from now on."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_star_i_m_fit_and_ready_to_go_1_1445082?

WhiteJC

Fulham linked with Italian pair

These are busy times at Fulham if you believe what the Daily Star say – and yes, that is a rhetorical question.

Having added Hugo Rodallega to his squad, Martin Jol is supposedly targeting both Juventus forward Vincenzo Iaquinta, and Sebastian Giovinco.

First things first, Giovinco will be going nowhere, as Juventus have only just purchased the remaining 50% of his rights from Parma – so you can disregard that immediately.

Iaquinta is a different story; he's the player the English press link to Premier League clubs when they've run out of more imaginative rumours. In fact, when Martin Jol was Tottenham's manager, Iaquinta was linked so frequently with a move to White Hart Lane that the Spurs fans started referring to him simply as 'Dave'.

The player will probably leave Juventus this Summer – he spent last season out on-loan to Cesena – but there's very little to suggest that he's headed to Fulham. And why would Jol want him at Craven Cottage? He's thirty-two now, and not once in his career has he managed 15 league goals in a season. He's not the player Fulham need.

On a side note, does anybody actually know someone who reads The Star – or at least admits to it? How it stays in print is a mystery.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/fulham-linked-with-italian-pair/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=fulham-linked-with-italian-pair

WhiteJC

A Fluent Approach

It's been little more than a week since he signed for the Club but Sascha Riether already finds himself back in his native country.

After four days of training at Motspur Park with his new Fulham team mates, the versatile German international flew out with the rest of Martin Jol's squad to take part in three pre-season friendly matches in Leipzig.

"My team mates have asked me about the city and the teams we're playing against," Sascha told fulhamfc.com. "But I can't say that much about Leipzig because I haven't been there a lot of times and Leipzig doesn't have a Bundesliga team so I never played there when I was in Germany."

Although Riether already speaks English very well, he is keen to improve and remains reluctant to rely too heavily on other German speakers within the squad such as Kerim Frei, Philippe Senderos and Mark Schwarzer.

"It's always easier when some players can speak the language," he admitted. "But for me it is important that I use the English I learnt at school, which will be better soon so that I can speak more fluently with the players, the people [at Fulham], and the fans."

The Team are enjoying the luxury of a pre-season schedule this year after being thrown straight into competitive action prior to the 2011/12 campaign, and Sascha acknowledges the significance of such preparation. 

"It's important to prepare well during pre-season and for the matches," he explained. "It will be a very hard season with a lot of games.

"Training in England is very professional, as it is in Germany, and the Manager has a good pre-season plan. The training sessions have been good and I hope that nobody gets injured and that we can all continue to train as well as possible."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/July/AFluentApproach.aspx?

WhiteJC

Sidwell raring to go
by DAN on JULY 14, 2012

Steve Sidwell has spoken of his excitement to put all his injury problems behind him as he approaches Fulham's pre-season back at peak fitness ahead of the new campaign.

The box-to-box midfielder timed his return to full training perfectly at Motspur Park last week as Fulham prepared for their tour of Germany which gets underway this weekend. Sidwell had missed the final four months of the 2011/2012 season after requiring an operation on his hernia injury, which he sustained during the 1-1 draw against West Bromwich Albion on 1 February. The 29 year-old feels that his hard work in regaining full fitness should pay off and, after the departure of Danny Murphy, Sidwell has a real chance to stake a claim for a regular place in Martin Jol's midfield.

It's been tough, I've been in all summer. I had a bit of a break with the missus and kids as soon as last season ended but I've been here pretty much the whole summer getting fit and it's paid off.

We're in our first week of pre-season training now and I've felt good. There will probably be a few little niggles here and there but the surgeon said that's completely natural. I feel like I'm on par with the rest of the lads fitness-wise.

We're in our first week of pre-season training now and I've felt good. There will probably be a few little niggles here and there but the surgeon said that's completely natural. I feel like I'm on par with the rest of the lads fitness-wise.

Sidwell has scored five goals in his 41 appearances for Fulham since moving Craven Cottage in January 2011.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/07/sidwell-raring-to-go/?

WhiteJC

The shape of things to come
by DAN on JULY 14, 2012

Pre-seasons always bring panic. Thankfully for Fulham this summer there hasn't been the feverish speculation about who the new manager might be, but there's been plenty of angst about the nucleus of a successful side being disrupted. I'm not going to row back from what I've written previously about Danny Murphy, but Martin Jol has been given the freedom to freshen up what was an ageing and one-dimensional squad, and just because we might lose the rigid conventions and structure that has characterised the club's steady progression since the Hodgson days doesn't mean that things are destined to go horribly wrong.

The exits from Motspur Park – Murphy apart – are largely unexpected. We all admired Andy Johnson's endeavour but the sober truth is that he was never the same after being 'literally banjoed' by Dmitry Belorukov just as he was striking up a strong partnership with his new QPR team-mate. If we're being brutally honest that cynical bodycheck – and Fulham's subsequent lack of strikers – forced Roy Hodgson to rethink his approach and afforded Zoltan Gera the chance to shine on the European stage. The cold statistics – 27 goals in 110 appearances over four years – suggest Johnson failed to justify either the considerable initial outlay or his reported £40,000-a-week wages.

Orlando Sa was a low-risk purchase and, unfortunately, he'll always be remembered for his part in that shambles against Odense. The Portuguese forward was let go by Jose Mourinho because of concerns about his fitness and pace and, although Sa scored a smart goal at Carrow Road last Christmas, his failure to convert a much more presentable chance moments later hinted at his unpredictability. Pavel Pogrebnyak's wage demands were extortionate – despite his lightning start – although the Russian's reaction to his winner at QPR will live long in the memory. Bjorn Helge Riise was on the fringes of the first-team even before Mark Hughes' brief tenure at the Cottage, although some of the midfielder's critics should recall the quality of those crosses that contributed to our brilliant win in Basel.

Jol's additions have been eminently sensible. Mladen Petric can play in a number of positions across the forward line and could even be thrown in as a lone striker should the need arise. But the straight replacement for Pogrebnyak is clearly Hugo Rodallega, who has shown glimpses of real quality during his rather fitful spell in English football. He scored ten league goals in 2009-10, one of which was the header at Stoke that kept Wigan up, despite being used as a winger for much of that campaign by Roberto Martinez. Rodallega's far more mobile and will link the play better than Pogrebnyak – while the prospect of Bryan Ruiz, Moussa Dembele and Kerim Frei buzzing around behind him sets the pulse racing a little.

The signing of Sascha Riether seems to follow the Mahamadou Diarra template from last season. Simply securing Diarra on a short-term deal was a big coup for Fulham and the confident nature of his performances, despite not having played a great deal of football over the past few seasons, might have been a contributory factor in Jol's decision not to offer Murphy a longer contract. Riether is versatile – able to fill in at right back where there are still concerns over Zdenek Grygera's fitness as well as right midfield – and experienced. Technically sound, with a couple of caps for Germany and a Bundesliga title to his name, having been a crucial part of Wolfsburg's ten straight wins on the way to their first championship under Felix Magath.

The final pieces in Jol's jisgaw might not be known until January but Fulham fans won't rest easy until the transfer window shuts. The chatter suggests that Clint Dempsey might be off, although if he makes his final big career move now he might well regret it. Rumours have linked the Texan midfielder with a move to Liverpool, who are in the midst of a massive rebuilding project under Brendan Rodgers, and currently well below the Champions' League level that Dempsey has set himself as a target. The departure of Moussa Dembele would be a much bigger blow, not least because the last time Fulham sacrificed a gifted Belgian playmaker it signified their descent from a team of artisans to a group of grafters and nearly cost the club their top flight status.

Second seasons are usually when foreign imports struggle but in Bryan Ruiz's case it might be the making of him. Injuries and the task of adapting to a far more physical style of football made last summer's big acquisition looked laboured at times last year, but moments of quality still shone through. The chipped finishes against Everton and Bolton were sublime, while his passes went through the tightest gaps to set up Dempsey against both Chelsea and West Brom. Ruiz looked far more comfortable as a classical 'number ten' than out wide but the fluidity of Fulham's approach means that Jol will not be worrying too frantically about assigning definitive positions to his creative players.

The big advantage that Jol has already established over his immediate predecessors comes in his ability to promote the best thing young talent. Matthew Briggs looked at home in the early weeks of Jol's tenure, although the England under-21 full-back might need to head out on loan given how well John Arne Riise finished the season. Jol was quick to spot the potential in both Kerim Frei and Alex Kacaniklic and should be credit for giving them early exposure to first-team football to quick the pair's development. This season could see the emergence of Pajtim Kasami but the introduction of younger players creates an exciting team two or three years down the line.

Jol's immediate priority will be replicating – or perhaps bettering – last season's top half finish but there's certainly no need for Fulham fans to let the silly season drive them insane.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/07/the-shape-of-things-to-come-2/?

WhiteJC

Fyvie heading for Dons exit
Scottish starlet feels he needs to move on

Fraser Fyvie: Has been strongly linked with a move to Wigan

Aberdeen starlet Fraser Fyvie is readying himself for a move away from Scotland, with Wigan believed to be leading the chase for his signature.

The 19-year-old is out of contract at Pittodrie at the end of the year and has expressed a desire to try his luck south of the border.

Fulham and Norwich are understood to be keen on the teenage midfielder, but Wigan find themselves in pole position.

Roberto Martinez has bided his time before making an approach, but he could be about to get his man.

The Latics have dipped into the Scottish market on a regular basis in the recent past, with the likes of James McCarthy, James McArthur, Shaun Maloney, Conor Sammon and Gary Caldwellmaking moves to the DW Stadium.

Gamble

Fyvie could be the next arrival in Wigan, with the youngster conceding that he needs to move on in order to fulfil his undoubted potential.

"I need to go to progress my career," he said.

"I feel it's the right time for me to try my luck elsewhere and see what happens.

"I may be taking a big gamble, but sometimes you have to take a risk. I feel I want to go and challenge myself."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/7901852/Fyvie-heading-for-Dons-exit?

WhiteJC

Ex-Fulham striker to continue Wycombe trial

STRIKER Ismael Ehui will have another chance to try and earn a deal at Wycombe Wanderers.

The 25-year-old former Fulham reserve striker played 45 minutes at Farnborough for Blues on Saturday.

The French-born forward, who scored 30 goals in 41 appearances for Belgium side R.R.F.C Montegnee, had little chance to impress in a scrappy second-half.

But boss Gary Waddock said he would be back in training with Wycombe on Monday and could feature at Forest Green Rovers on Wednesday night.

http://www.buckinghamshireexaminer.co.uk/be_wycombe_wanderers/be_wycombewanderers_latestnews/2012/07/14/ex-fulham-striker-to-continue-wycombe-trial-82398-31396391/?

WhiteJC

Clint Dempsey: Liverpool Transfer Makes the Most Sense for USMNT Star

Scott Heavey/Getty Images

Apart from the Robin Van Persie saga, the Clint Dempsey dilemma might be the most talked about EPL transfer story so far this offseason. Every single week there seems to be a new twist to the story, as the Fulham star looks destined for a club upgrade in the next couple of weeks.

Arsenal and Liverpool seem to be the favorites for the American at this point, but as of right now, nothing has materialized between the two prestigious clubs and Dempsey's current Fulham.

A move to Anfield makes the most sense for Clint Dempsey, and here's why. 

First off, it is evident that Dempsey is indeed a late bloomer and just entered his prime last season at the age of 28. That being said, he needs to be able to get maximum first team action these next couple of years if a team wants to get the most for their money.

Of all the potential teams interested, Liverpool is maybe the one club that would be an upgrade from Fulham, but could still allow him to compete every weekend and make significant contributions. Arsenal already have a plethora of attackers, and considering how much Wenger likes to develop his young players, might give the nod to Ryo Miyaichi or Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in games where Dempsey could be playing.

Also, changing leagues always results in a little adjusting-time for any player, and that adjusting time could keep Dempsey out of the first XI for a little bit and create an unnecessary road bump in his prime.

With Maxi Rodriguez gone and Bellamy possibly on his way out, Dempsey could step in and continue right where he left off: playing the full 90 week in and week out—and scoring goals.

Although Dempsey has stated his desire to play Champions League Football and Liverpool failed to qualify for the 2012-13 campaign, recent aggression in the transfer market hint that the Reds could be back battling for a top-four spot in the next couple of years.

Fabio Borini became the first signing for Brendan Rodgers a couple days ago and now Daniel Sturridge is heavily linked with the club. Add that to the fact that Carroll finished the season on a strong note and Suarez will be looking for redemption and you have a team that will could legitimately make Dempsey's UCL dreams come true.

Finally, Liverpool already has one of the biggest fanbases in the United States, but the signing of the USMNT's star player right before the club goes on their American tour would be absolutely fantastic for the expansion of their brand.

Liverpool Dempsey jerseys would sell like hot-cakes. This type of signing, arguably the biggest in US soccer history, would result in hours of coverage that would be incredibly beneficial for the club and its popularity.

So who doesn't win if this deal goes down?

Dempsey gets what he wants in significant playing time and a potential chance for UCL football down the road. Liverpool get what they want in a proven goal-scorer who can immediately contribute and massive publicity in the United States.

Fulham get their deserved cash and finally get this transfer saga over with. It's a win-win-win situation. It's only a matter of time before we see Dempsey call Anfield his home.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1258782-clint-dempsey-why-a-liverpool-transfer-makes-the-most-sense-for-usmnt-star?

WhiteJC

Schwarzer shares secrets of his success
by DAN on JULY 14, 2012

There's an interesting profile of Mark Schwarzer from SBS as the Fulham goalkeeper edges closer to his hundredth cap for Australia.

Fitness permitting, Schwarzer should reach the international landmark after a friendly against Scotland at Easter Road in August and the Socceroos' latest World Cup qualifier in Jordan the following month. Should Australia make it all the way to Brazil in 2014, Schwarzer will replace legendary Italian custodian Dino Zoff as the oldest goalkeeper to play in a World Cup finals.

Reflecting on a twenty-year career, which was celebrated when he was named Australia's best ever goalkeeper at a Sydney ceremony last week, Schwarzer suggested that nutrition and a strict fitness regime have helped him maintain his consistently high performance levels well into his late thirties.

It's all to do with the way you look after yourself, the way you train and live your life. I've also been fortunate with injuries over the years but by the same token I do a lot of work to prevent injuries. I also do a lot of good old hard work because I still have the desire to keep on playing as long as possible at the highest level.

It's not difficult at all to keep my motivation going. For me if I find it difficult to get motivated to get up and go to football every day then I would definitely consider retiring. I still get very excited about playing games and going to training. I like training because I enjoy working out to keep fit. And I'm doing that then it makes it easy.

The 39 year-old admitted that he could never have envisaged embarking on a professional career with such longevity when he was sitting on the Australian bench waiting for a chance to make his international debut, which came abruptly when former number one Robert Zabica was sent off against Canada in 1993.

Not in my wildest dreams did I ever believe that I would be playing almost 20 years later and nudging 100 caps for my country. I don't suppose anyone would imagine playing for that long. I think these things evolve as times goes by. A lot of things have to fall in your favour along the way and you need a lot of hard work and dedication.

You get a lot of ups and downs in your career and there are a lot of factors that dictate if you play that long or get that many caps. So I feel very privileged to have reached this stage of my career and I'm enjoying every moment of it. The last two years have been the most enjoyable in my life in football terms.

Schwarzer's German heritage also meant that his goalkeeping heroes as a child were largely European 'like Harald Schumacher to a degree and particularly Jean-Marie Pfaff and later Bodo Illgner'. As a consummate professional, it is no surprise that Schwarzer feels footballers should act as ambassadors for the game and to the children who dream of emulating them.

Behaviour is definitely an aspect of one's career. But you get that (mix) in all walks of life. There are those who believe that they should act responsibly on and off the pitch while others choose to live their own lifestyle.

But it is true that there are always repercussions to your actions. As far as I'm concerned I've always set a standard that I've tried to follow on and off the field. And when you become a father it becomes even more important to you because you want to lead by example.

The article concludes with Schwarzer looking ahead towards Brazil – insisting that representing Australia in the World Cup 'is a very realistic target but beyond that is too far for me'. Whether Martin Jol makes a change in the Fulham goal before then, given the promising performances of David Stockdale in recent seasons, will be another big decision for the Dutch coach.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/07/schwarzer-shares-secrets-of-his-success/?

WhiteJC

Fulham's new home shirt for 2012/13

Commiserations to anybody who shelled out to watch David Haye versus Derick Chisora, that probably wasn't the best use of your hard-earned cash.

Back to football, and Fulham have unveiled their new home shirts for next season – and it's good news for any overweight players in Martin Jol's squad: Kappa have added some vertical stripes this year. This will be the second year of the Italian company's Technical Sponsor and Official Supplier of Sportswear deal.

FX Pro also return as the club's shirt sponsor, as they enter the last of their three years as a principle partner.

The kit was officially unveiled yesterday, and – in keeping with all other Premier League teams – the Fulham club shop is ready to over-charge you for it immediately.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/fulhams-new-home-shirt-for-201213/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=fulhams-new-home-shirt-for-201213

WhiteJC

Fulham make contact with PSG about a permanent transfer for Chantome

Richard Heathcote - Getty Images

French press are tonight reporting that Fulham have approached PSG about a permanent transfer for 24 year old French midfielder, Clement Chantome.

We've been linked for some time with the talented French central midfielder but Lyon have been trying to gain the player on loan. Fulham though are said to have discussed a permanent transfer with the player and PSG and are awaiting a decision.

This story does seem to have some credence after continuous links and it looks like we've now pushed ahead in trying to sign Chantome on a permanent transfer.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/7/14/3159667/fulham-make-contact-with-psg-about-a-permanent-transfer-for-chantome?

WhiteJC

LIVERPOOL EYE £8M SWOOP FOR CLINT DEMPSEY

LIVERPOOL'S American owners have given the nod for boss Brendan Rodgers to swoop for Clint Dempsey.

John W Henry and Tom Werner would love Rodgers to add Texas-born Dempsey to a revamped attacking set-up – alongside Luis Suarez and new £10.5m hitman Fabio Borini.

And that means the end at Anfield for £35m hitman Andy Carroll – who will discover he has no Kop future in a face-to-face meeting with Rodgers.

Carroll, along with his England team-mates Steven Gerrard, Glen Johnson, Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson and Martin Kelly, will link up with the rest of the Liverpool squad in Boston a week tomorrow as they start a pre-season tour of North America.

And once they touch down, Rodgers will tell Carroll that he doesn't fit into his plans.

Carroll's first reaction will be to fight for his place.

But after making a strong case for a regular England spot with his performances at Euro 2012, Carroll won't want to be frozen out of club football for too long.

That's why Fulham will hope he'll consider a switch to Craven Cottage in place of Dempsey, with a 12-month loan a strong possibility.

Fulham want Liverpool to cough up £10m for Dempsey, 29, who has 12 months left on his contract. But Rodgers is confident that he can get his man for £8m.

Meanwhile, Borini can't wait to play alongside Suarez as he bids to take Liverpool back into the Champions League.
The striker, 21, said: "It feels really good to be a Liverpool player.

"They are a top club who have won a lot of trophies in the past and will do so in the future, we hope.

"I hope to achieve the maximum I can here by scoring goals, getting into the Champions League and all of the things the club want.

"Suarez is a player who is similar to me because he works very hard in every game.

"All of Europe wants him – and every player wants to play with him, so it will be a pleasure."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/262205/Liverpool-eye-8m-swoop-for-Clint-Dempsey/?

WhiteJC

Wigan Athletic striker Rodallega joins Fulham

Fulham have completed the signing of Wigan Athletic forward Hugo Rodallega on a free transfer.

The Colombia international was understood to be interesting Everton and Aston Villa, and admitted he had hoped to stay in the Premier League.

"I'm thrilled to have signed for Fulham football club," Rodallega told the club's official website.

"I wanted to stay in England and I'm delighted that I now have this opportunity with Fulham.

"I would like to thank the staff and fans of Wigan Athletic for three and a half wonderful seasons there.

"I'm looking forward to pre-season training with the rest of the Fulham squad and starting a new chapter in my career."

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/wigan-athletic-fc/1212955-wigan-athletic-striker-rodallega-joins-fulham.html?

WhiteJC

WIGAN AND FULHAM EYE ABERDEEN STARLET FRASER FYVIE

WIGAN and Fulham are after Fraser Fyvie, 19, who has turned down a new deal at Aberdeen.

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/333032?

WhiteJC

LIVERPOOL HOPEFUL OF CLOSING DEMPSEY DEAL THIS WEEK

Dempsey enjoyed his most impressive season to date.

Fresh from capturing Roma striker Fabio Borini, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers now hopes to conclude a deal for Fulham midfielder Clint Dempsey.

Dempsey's name has been linked to Liverpool for much of the summer, and although Rodgers has revealed that money won't be liberally sprinkled on new recruits, negotiations between the clubs has been ongoing, with Fulham seeking a fee in the region of £10 million.

Liverpool, though, are reluctant to pay more than £8 million for the 29-year-old, although a deal based on performances and appearances might help bridge the gap between the two valuations. A deal is now expected to go through this week.

Dempsey, for his part, has already told Fulham boss Martin Jol that he wants to leave the club. He was offered a new deal in March after a string of impressive performances that helped secure a nomination for PFA Player of the Year, but his failure to sign it has paved the way for Liverpool's interest.

Fulham are resigned to selling their star asset, who has a single year left to run on his contract.

His stats from last season demonstrate why he is so coveted:

• 23 goals and 6 assists in all competitions.
• He registered 16 Premier League goals, the most in a single season by a Fulham player.
• His hat-trick against Newcastle in January was the first by an American in the Premier League.
• He was Fulham's Player of the Year for a second successive season.
• He was fourth in the Player of the Year voting.

http://www.sport360.com/article/liverpool-hopeful-closing-dempsey-deal-week?

WhiteJC

Could this be Kasami's year?
by DAN on JULY 15, 2012

Could Pajtim Kasami play a more pivotal role in his second season at Fulham?

It seems fashionable to view every football manager's job as 'a project' these days. Andre-Vilas Boas has just embarked on a new one in north London, hoping to mirror the early success of Arsene Wenger, who must be wishing he could turn the clock back to those glory days. Roberto Mancini's 'project' at Manchester City began with what was viewed as a harsh sacking of Mark Hughes but that decision now looks like one of the smartest a football club has ever made as the ever-engaging Italian added some real flair to what initially was a dour, disciplined team that operated on the counter-attack and shut up shop once going in front.

What do make of Jol's project so far? Of course, just a year in, it's very difficult to judge. His chief aspirations on arrival were to revamp the playing style and reduce the average age of a squad that contained plenty of experience but was rather plodding and predictable. He's certainly done both but football fans demand certainty even when the game can only offer intrigue. Jol's more fluid approach has been described as 'total football' but that understates the transition from a rigid English structure, with clearly defined defensive roles for the wide players, central midfielders and even a striker, to a looser 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 that encourages movement and demands that the forward players interchange positions regularly.

Such a system requires a few free spirits who possess pace, stamina and high levels of technical ability as well as being exceptional readers of a game. In his very first press conference, Jol stressed the need for the speed but his initial assessment of the squad will have shown that he had inherited very few rapid individuals. The biggest area in need of an overhaul was a midfield that was at times pedestrian – largely because it lacked players who could burst through from central areas or break away thanks to a trick or a turn of pace.

Just over twelve months on from his appointment and the picture looks somewhat different. The reinvention of Moussa Dembele from a roaming forward to a midfield playmaker was a tactical masterstroke and the nonchalant ease with which he skips past opponents offering a different dimension to Fulham's approach play. Factor in the emergence of Kerim Frei and Alex Kacaniklic, who are both skillful and no slouches on either wing, and Jol's closer to constructing the template for a side that can attack in a number of different ways rather than being cautious and hoping to nick a goal on the break, which seemed the sum total of Fulham's ambition away from home for three or four seasons.

Of course, the big question mark is over who might replace Danny Murphy. But, as I argued when the news broke that Murphy was heading to Blackburn for a medical, it's a rather moot point as you won't find a replacement for Fulham's former captain – and if you did, he would cost big money. Murphy's experience and successful alteration from an advanced midfield operator to a deeper-lying orchestrator of attacks who successfully shielded the back four was one of the key reasons why Fulham were able to go from staving off almost-certain relegation to a European final in a blink of an eye. But in a less regimented system, the side's reliance on Murphy would diminsh.

Jol's reshaped central midfield will certainly include Mahamadou Diarra, who briefly replaced Murphy in the second half of last year. The Malian is more than just a defensive midfielder as his late marauding runs in the box, which heralded a first goal for the club up at Bolton, and his range of passing, illustrated by the cleverly disguised pass that released Clint Dempsey for the fifth goal at home to Wolves, demonstrate. Dembele – should he stay – will be the preferred pick alongside Diarra, but there are other options as well.

One of the most fascinating possibilities is why Pajtim Kasami might fit into the picture. The Swiss midfielder was a surprise capture after a successful single season with Palermo where he flourished under Delio Rossi, making 23 appearances as an eighteen year-old. Kasami had an eye-catching start to his Fulham career, with a couple of early energetic Europa League performances, whipping over a few dangerous crosses and corners with his lovely left foot and having no hesitation about introducing himself to English football with a tough tackle or two. People might have raised eyebrows at his sudden disappearance from the first-team picture after he rattled the bar with a penalty at Stamford Bridge, but this was always a developmental season for Kasami.

He made just 15 starts for Palermo in 2010-11 and Martin Jol offered him eleven in his first year in English football. With a bit more luck – and a less impressive assistant referee than Sian Massey – Kasami might already be off the mark in terms of goals for the club. He starred in the dismantling of Dnipro at the Cottage in August – playing a part in all three of Fulham's goals – and his development continued in the reserves, where he scored three goals and made three more as the club's second string finished the season very strongly.

Kasami's been a prodigious talent from a young age. He was a key part of the Swiss under-17 side that surprised everybody by winning the 2009 FIFA Under-17 World Cup in Nigeria and his high-octane displays for the under-21 side, for whom he found the net three times last season, have earned him a place in Switzerland's Olympic squad this month. Still only 20, Kasami was encouraged enough by his start to life in London – and Jol's belief in his 'great talent' – to reject an early return to Italy with Juventus last January and fight for a spot in Fulham's first team.

There's something endearing about the shaven-headed midfielder and it isn't his training ground high-jinks with Matthew Briggs. Instead, you feel that it's worth watching Kasami when he's on a football pitch. He can cross and shoot from range as well as take a mean set-piece and his technical skills, combined with that tenacious streak, mean he could play either behind the striker – a position for which they'll be plenty of competition this season – or, eventually, in the heart of a midfield. He's served his apprenticeship and I think the signs are encouraging: let's hope this could be his breakthrough year.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/07/could-this-be-kasamis-year/

Mr Fulham

Quote from: WhiteJC on July 15, 2012, 07:07:52 AM

Apart from the Robin Van Persie saga, the Clint Dempsey dilemma might be the most talked about EPL transfer story so far this offseason. Every single week there seems to be a new twist to the story, as the Fulham star looks destined for a club upgrade in the next couple of weeks.

Arsenal and Liverpool seem to be the favorites for the American at this point, but as of right now, nothing has materialized between the two prestigious clubs and Dempsey's current Fulham.

First off, it is evident that Dempsey is indeed a late bloomer and just entered his prime last season at the age of 28. That being said, he needs to be able to get maximum first team action these next couple of years if a team wants to get the most for their money.

Of all the potential teams interested, Liverpool is maybe the one club that would be an upgrade from Fulham, but could still allow him to compete every weekend and make significant contributions. Arsenal already have a plethora of attackers, and considering how much Wenger likes to develop his young players, might give the nod to Ryo Miyaichi or Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in games where Dempsey could be playing.

Also, changing leagues always results in a little adjusting-time for any player, and that adjusting time could keep Dempsey out of the first XI for a little bit and create an unnecessary road bump in his prime.

With Maxi Rodriguez gone and Bellamy possibly on his way out, Dempsey could step in and continue right where he left off: playing the full 90 week in and week out—and scoring goals.

Although Dempsey has stated his desire to play Champions League Football and Liverpool failed to qualify for the 2012-13 campaign, recent aggression in the transfer market hint that the Reds could be back battling for a top-four spot in the next couple of years.

Fabio Borini became the first signing for Brendan Rodgers a couple days ago and now Daniel Sturridge is heavily linked with the club. Add that to the fact that Carroll finished the season on a strong note and Suarez will be looking for redemption and you have a team that will could legitimately make Dempsey's UCL dreams come true.

Finally, Liverpool already has one of the biggest fanbases in the United States, but the signing of the USMNT's star player right before the club goes on their American tour would be absolutely fantastic for the expansion of their brand.

Liverpool Dempsey jerseys would sell like hot-cakes. This type of signing, arguably the biggest in US soccer history, would result in hours of coverage that would be incredibly beneficial for the club and its popularity.

Dempsey gets what he wants in significant playing time and a potential chance for UCL football down the road. Liverpool get what they want in a proven goal-scorer who can immediately contribute and massive publicity in the United States.

Fulham get their deserved cash and finally get this transfer saga over with. It's a win-win-win situation. It's only a matter of time before we see Dempsey call Anfield his home.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1258782-clint-dempsey-why-a-liverpool-transfer-makes-the-most-sense-for-usmnt-star?

Gosh, they are one joke of a website.

HatterDon

Quote from: Mr Fulham on July 15, 2012, 01:31:22 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on July 15, 2012, 07:07:52 AM

Gosh, they are one joke of a website.

Absolutely. They're like what the Star would be if they had editors.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel