News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Are we overlooking Jols good work/plans?

Started by Andy_M, July 17, 2012, 11:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Rupert on July 17, 2012, 02:00:44 PM
I'm largely in agreement with Lighthouse here, Jol has had a good first season, thus has done "okay", but this and the next transfer windows will see his team fully form. By January 2013 we should have a good idea of how good, or otherwise, he is.

Whre I'm not in agreement is the "next level" comment, while it is all very laudable to be hoping for the club to move on to a higher level, I have to ask where the funds needed to finance such a push are supposed to come from? My opinion is that we are currently over-achieving, consecutive top ten finishes while in a sub-30,000 seater ground is an outstanding result, thanks to the efforts of all three of our most recent managers. Roy built the team, Hughes did not mess about with it much, Jol has started to dismantle it and (hopefully) replace it with a younger, but equivalent version, playing to a different style.

My "next level" would be success in one of the domestic cup competitions, much more realistic, I think, than crashing into the top six on a regular basis.

The problem with seeing the next level as cup competitions is that they are notoriously unpredictable. Whilst we might have a good run one year, consistently doing well/getting to finals is nigh on impossible.

elgreenio

believe i'm thinking along the same lines as Rupert, in that i'm not fussed about consistently performing in cup comps, but winning one is the next step and a somewhat realistic goal and quite a nice cherry on top of the consistent premier league presence
touch my camera through the fence

tommyffc

In terms of Jol being good for the club - I totally agree. It feels like he has found a job he enjoys (rebuilding our side) without the massive pressure of succeeding. Relegation is unlikely now, and he can work on finding players/a team to make a step up - whether that's in the cup competitions or in the league.

Personally I enjoyed last season - we were more convincing in a positive footballing sense than I can ever remember (Europa League aside). We had a few big wins, and yes a few big losses - but I prefer a roller-coaster season to one of little interest and no excitement.

Abbotsbury White

I like Jol he has vast experience and looks as if he doesn't tolerate any nonsense,I know it has taken some a while to warm to him especially a period last season when we had the Hughes/Senderos scenario,Leaving DM out, Baird ..etc,but as the season went on we became more solid the players looked as if they were getting used to the style of play, at times we loooked slick and even sublime yes I know quickly followed by the ridiculous!,IF The Dem's stay and a semi marque signing is added I think we will better last term,
Oh by the way please get me to Wembley one more time!
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

Berserker

I'd like a bit of stability and a chance for Europe again
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Herbie

The only way for the club to progress is to build the infrastructure of the club, which is what is being done.  The Academy are making huge leaps, which will enable us to grow from within, whilst the club are looking at redeveloping the ground to increase revenue and give us a more sustainable financial footing.

Gone are the days that a wealthy buyer can come in and bank roll a club with a completely new team, especially with the impending arrival of financial fair play.  I think Jol is doing the right thing; purchases where it is a good deal in the long run (Ruiz), loans for experienced players to boost the squad (Diarra, Pog) and the sense of encouragement given to the youngsters in knowing that if they work hard they will get their chance in the first team.

I admit that last season was a bit slow getting off the ground, but I have faith in Jol to keep us moving forward next season.  Where that takes us, who knows? I do know that I will enjoy the ride, with a few dips along the way!

mangoputney

retaining prem status, regularly challenging 8th - 11th, cup run, sound infrastructure, nice style of footie, i'll remain happy

ambition, ridiculous, money, agents, champions and others league all combined have ruined football

remaining at the top table, stadium refurb, knowing who we are, where we came from, much more realistic and acceptable to some of the most reasonable fans in football :)

let Hughes have his 'ambition' its a false economy
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: mangoputney on July 17, 2012, 07:25:48 PM
retaining prem status, regularly challenging 8th - 11th, cup run, sound infrastructure, nice style of footie, i'll remain happy

ambition, ridiculous, money, agents, champions and others league all combined have ruined football

remaining at the top table, stadium refurb, knowing who we are, where we came from, much more realistic and acceptable to some of the most reasonable fans in football :)

let Hughes have his 'ambition' its a false economy

:clap_hands:

Jack Fulham

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 17, 2012, 01:32:26 PM
Quote from: TonyGilroy on July 17, 2012, 01:21:16 PM

Next level?

Better than a club that can expect to finish between 8th and 12th?

Too big an ask as being wholly unrealistic in my opinion.

So we are the best we can be and from now on only trying to keep at this level? Somewhat ironically I think the club CAN push on. But I believe I was in a minority when this came up a few seasons ago. That may be why I think Jol has done ok keeping at this level while others think he has done really well. Who would have thought it? I have more ambition for the club to improve.

if your ambition for the club is not matched by the club, then you're just to end every season disappointed!

Lighthouse

I think it is important to always try and improve. If we say that we have reached the glass ceiling then we stay in the past. I know many fans would like us to stay at the Cottage even if it meant a return to a lower division. There is a belief that we shouldn't look for ways to improve and just stay safe.

Clearly that is no way to run a football club. Ideally we can improve the capacity at the Cottage. Bring in players within the wage structure and improve the youth level so players can be sold or make the grade at Fulham. That is one way we can move to the next level. I have stated many times that the idea that we have reached as far as we are ever going to is not my belief.

Jack Fulham says that if my ambition for the club is not matched by the club than I will always be disappointed. I would suggest we have improved year in year out with only the odd exception. I would put it to others that if their ambition for the club has already been met. Then they are the ones who are disappointed because this is as good as it gets. The fear for them is it will never get better and we fight to stay where we are. That to me is disappointing. But as I have said before I am in a minority. I want more success and that means an improvement. Others don't and that is fine.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Herbie

I agree with your sentiments, Lighthouse, but it has to be tempered with realism.  Obviously every supporter wants their club to be the best, but I think what Fulham has in its favour is that the fans are generally a sensible, intelligent bunch, who realise that things could be a lot worse and we are doing well to be where we are.

I too hope for progression each season, it's just that i hope it doesn't come with too heavy a price which risks our survival as a football club.  I'd much rather we have a steady progression towards being a regular top 10 team, then who knows, maybe challenging for top 5 a la Everton, Spurs or Villa.

I'm confident the club is progressing and is moving in the right direction.  It just may not be as quick as some would hope.

Jack Fulham

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 17, 2012, 08:56:05 PM
I think it is important to always try and improve. If we say that we have reached the glass ceiling then we stay in the past. I know many fans would like us to stay at the Cottage even if it meant a return to a lower division. There is a belief that we shouldn't look for ways to improve and just stay safe.

Clearly that is no way to run a football club. Ideally we can improve the capacity at the Cottage. Bring in players within the wage structure and improve the youth level so players can be sold or make the grade at Fulham. That is one way we can move to the next level. I have stated many times that the idea that we have reached as far as we are ever going to is not my belief.

Jack Fulham says that if my ambition for the club is not matched by the club than I will always be disappointed. I would suggest we have improved year in year out with only the odd exception. I would put it to others that if their ambition for the club has already been met. Then they are the ones who are disappointed because this is as good as it gets. The fear for them is it will never get better and we fight to stay where we are. That to me is disappointing. But as I have said before I am in a minority. I want more success and that means an improvement. Others don't and that is fine.

I think everyone wants success but sadly for clubs like ours, their probably is a glass ceiling unless we invest heavily like those clubs that do enjoy more success than us. Obviously we should always strive for continuous improvement and I think the next step is too win a domestic cup because we have a better chance in them than we do winning league titles or finishing higher than lets say 7th.