more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (19/07/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 19, 2012, 04:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Iaquinta linked with Fulham

Juventus striker Vincenzo Iaquinta could move to Fulham, according to the player's agent.

The 32-year-old former Italy striker spent the end of last season loan to Cesena and is reportedly set to leave the Old Lady this summer.

Iaquinta's agent, Andrea D'Amico, says the player could move to England, and told Calcio Sport 24: "We are verifying a number of different options for Iaquinta in Italy, but especially in England. Fulham? That is a concrete hypothesis."

Fulham are looking to bolster their frontline after Andrew Johnson, Pavel Pogrebnyak and Orlando Sa all departed this summer, while Bobby Zamora left the club in the January transfer window.

Martin Jol's only attacking signings this summer are free agents Mladen Petric and Hugo Rodallega.

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/news/iaquinta-linked-with-fulham-13873/?

WhiteJC

HEY! EVERYONE! WE SIGNED CLINT DEMP.....whats that? Oh, we didnt? Oh....

Somebody – and possibly a few somebodies – was probably fired from the web department at Fenway Sports Group this morning.

Chaos insued when their site ran a story claiming Liverpool had "added Clint Dempsey to a team that game (sic) within a game of winning the FA Cup."

In case you were wondering, that "sic" part means, in journalism lingo, that yes, they did in fact make that typo, not me. I'm assuming that's as good a tell-tale as any to the haste in which this story was put up on the FSG website.

Oh, and also the fact that, according to Fulham, they haven't even received a bid for the 29 year old.

According to the London club, via their communications director Sarah Brookes:

"There has been no bid from Liverpool, or any other Club, for Clint and we would discourage any potential bids"

That's a pretty darn definitive statement, especially considering they certainly weren't forced to add that last part about discouraging bids.

I sent a request for a statement from Clint Dempsey's agency, James Grant Sports Management, but haven't heard anything from them.

Overall, this is just flat out a massive blunder by FSG. How does something like this happen? I don't even know. Yikes.  There are still multiple reports that this is close to being completed, which would make this a case of where there's smoke there's fire.  We probably won't know until everything's completed, however.

For what it's worth, Dempsey did not feature in the squad that played Lokomotiv Leipzig today.  Whether that's because he's barely trained (which is true) or some other reason more fitting for a conspiracy theorist remains to be seen.  But also absent from the friendly were Duff and Rodallega, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

UPDATE – Brendan Rogers confirmed on Liverpool's official website that they have indeed enquired about Dempsey, but no more than that.  This is not good at all for Liverpool. Suffice it to say Fulham are NOT happy about this statement.  Things could get ugly in the coming hours/days.  Could this be the end of the discussions? It remains to be seen.  But it's clear Fulham officials are furious over this revealing of inside talks.

http://fulhamsfinest.com/2012/07/18/hey-everyone-we-signed-clint-demp-whats-that-oh-we-didnt-oh/?

WhiteJC

Rodgers reveals Dempsey enquiry

Brendan Rodgers today revealed that Liverpool have made enquiries about Fulham striker Clint Dempsey.

In an interview with Liverpoolfc.com at the team hotel in Boston, the manager moved to clarify the club's position on the USA international, who scored 23 goals for Fulham last season.

"Clint is a player we've enquired about, it is as simple as that," said Rodgers.

"Ian Ayre, our managing director, has spoken with the club to see what the position is. That is where we're at.

"He's a very talented player but we don't like to talk about other clubs' players."

Meanwhile, Rodgers also spoke about Andy Carroll and insisted a possible loan move away from Anfield would not be entertained.

"There has been a lot written and spoken about him but first and foremost Andy is a Liverpool player," said the boss.

"To consider a loan period for someone the club spent £35million on isn't something we're looking to do at this moment in time.

"Andy will be the same as every other player - if there's ever an offer that comes in we'd look at it as a club and see if it's going to be worthwhile for the club and the team as a whole.

"The club invested £35million in him. People talk about whether he can fit into my style or not, but if you're a club and you spend £35million on a player you'd like to think he can fit into whatever style the team plays.

"He's a good player. He'll join the rest of the group next week and we'll take it from there."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/rodgers-reveals-dempsey-enquiry?

WhiteJC

Three Fulham Youngsters Who Could Break Out This Year

I would like to start by proposing a toast to a man who played for Fulham and gave three great seasons to the club.  But it may be in his departure that Paul Konchesky gives his most valuable contribution to Fulham.

In leaving for Liverpool, Konchesky netted the Cottagers two relatively unknown kids who, along with another youngster, could make serious contributions to the club this season.

When Konchesky was sold to Merseyside, attacking midfielder Alex Kacaniklic and striker Lauri Dalla-Valle were sent in the opposite direction.  Those two, plus Italian striker Marcello Trotta could be candidates to fill some serious needs in the first team this season after spending the last few years out on loan getting valuable playing time.

Don't be surprised to see these names, and a few other less familiar ones, making more appearances like this on your television this season.
Credit the front office for handling these kids well, giving them as much time as possible with loan spells at clubs such at Dundee United, Watford, Wycombe, Bournemouth, and Exeter.  They found places where these kids could thrive.  Some went very well, including both Kacaniklic and Trotta spending time at Watford, with the former openly expressing his thanks for the positive experience.

We'll start with the strikers.  I'm beating a dead horse by saying Fulham are in dire need of striking ability, even with the addition of Mladen Petric and Hugo Rodallega on frees this transfer window.  Many are expecting Jol to make a relatively high-profile move for someone like Jordan Rhodes, for example.  However, if our fearless leader believes that LDV (not to be confused with Lyle Della-Verde) and Trotta are indeed ready for first-team action this season, he may not even need to make such a move.

Both men have indeed gotten in the action already this season, netting three of the first four goals of Fulham's friendly trip around Germany between the two of them.  Trotta's brace started out the match against German 5th division opponents Lokomotiv Leipzig, and Dalla-Valle (or the "Flying Finn" as one of my Twitter followers called him) finished it off.

The main question surrounding these two budding talents is: are they ready? I don't think any of us are privy to enough information/have watched enough of them play recently to answer that question adequately, but Martin Jol certainly can, and if he deems them ready, get your popcorn ready because it's going to be a fun year.

The other man we already know fairly well.  Fulham fans got to preview the deadly crossing ability and solid possession of Alex Kacaniklic in the latter stages of last season.  In addition, many fans were almost left speechless after Kacaniklic came on as a substitute against Norwich for his debut.  The Swede blasted a screamer that just clipped the crossbar after being parried by John Ruddy.

Kacaniklic's best attribute no doubt is his crosses, something Fulham are desperate to find.  Their wingers are more goalscorers than crossers, and despite Ruiz, Dempsey, Duff, and even Riise all capable of putting a dangerous ball across the face of goal, I don't think it's their forte (except maybe Duff).

With Danny Murphy leaving, a hole is created in the midfield, and although they're not the same type of player by any means, the midfield is still a position of need.  Alex may be a great first-team player, someone Jol can rely on at the very least as a substitute.

Again, with the players at the ages of 20 (Kacaniklic), 19 (Trotta), and 20 (Dalla-Valle), there remain many if's about how this season will shape up. Don't be surprised, if Jol decides they aren't ready, to see more loan deals for this trio.  But if they are deemed worthy, they could be a massive bonus to a squad still needing many things.

Add someone like Kerim Frei to this mix, who's also already featured many times in the Fulham first team, and there could be some exciting days ahead in the home-grown department.

http://fulhamsfinest.com/2012/07/18/three-fulham-youngsters-who-could-break-out-this-year/?

WhiteJC

Manager's Reaction

Fulham manager Martin Jol has challenged his players to keep raising their standards following thier convincing 4-0 triumph against Germany's Lokomotive Leipzig.

Marcello Trotta rewarded his Manager's decision to name him in the starting eleven by scoring twice in 45 minutes before he was withdrawn, and second-half strike force Mladen Petric and Lauri Della Valle added after the break.

Jol is adamant his team can continue to improve on their first two pre-season matches in Germany, ahead of their final game of the tour against Kaiserslautern on Saturday.

"We didn't create too many chances but the ones we did we took, and I am happy with that," said Jol.

"We worked hard to put some good crosses in but Leipzig defended them well. I would have loved to have seen us create some more chances but it's still very early in pre-season.

"It is only the start of training for us, and it's early days with our attacking combinations because we have lost a few forwards over recent times."

While Trotta impressed with his clinical finishing in front of goal, Jol also admits he has high hopes from new Croatian striker Mladen Petric, who recorded his first goal in Fulham colours to make it 3-0.

"Our attack is changing, and Mladen Petric is a new one. He is starting right at the begginging," Jol added.

"It's still the first week and we've only played two games but I would love to be in the top ten this season, like last time when we finished ninth.

"It's a new team and a new challenge. We will do more training with Petric and we will be looking at having a more attacking midfield this season to support the strikers."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/July/JolFriendlyReaction.aspx?

WhiteJC

Venlo give up on Hoesen
Dutch outfit fail with final bid for Fulham forward

Eredivisie outfit VVV Venlo have seen a third and final offer for Danny Hoesen knocked back by Fulham and will now be turning their attention elsewhere.

Venlo had made the 21-year-old striker a top target for the summer transfer window, but have been continually frustrated in their efforts.

It is unclear where Hoesen fits into Fulham's plans, with the Premier League club having sent him out on loan to Fortuna Sittard last season.

The Cottagers are not prepared to part with any player for less than they feel he is worth, though, and Venlo have failed to reach an agreement.

"We are now moving our interest towards another striker," Venlo general director Hans Soentjes told De Telegraaf.

Future

"Last Friday we made our final bid and Fulham have said it is too low."

Hoesen claims he is in dark regarding his future, but has revealed that Fulham are prepared to discuss fresh terms with him.

"I was keen on a move to VVV Venlo," he said.

"Now I have to wait and see where my future will be. Fulham are interested in extending my contract."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7912631/?

BB

jarv

What a shambles Liverpool seem to be. The right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing fp.gif  Would never have happened if Roy was still in charge. I wonder what they saw in Rodgers, one season in the premier division, ok, played some nice football with mediocre players at Swansea. He admitted to Dempsey interest and has publicly humiliated his 35 million pound man. Doesn't sound too smart to me 080.gif

WhiteJC

Jol hopes Evian's Sagbo can make waves after Iaquinta trail runs dry

Fulham are in talks with French club Evian over striker Yannick Sagbo.

Manager Martin Jol has shown interest in Huddersfield hot-shot Jordan Rhodes and Juventus veteran Vincenzo Iaquinta, but Sagbo could prove better value at £3.5million.

The 24-year-old Ivory Coast international is quick and scored 10 goals in a struggling Evian side last season.

Pretty in pink: Yannick Sagbo is being targeted by Fulham boss Martin Jol

Jol and Watford manager Gianfranco Zola may be put off their interest in 32-year-old Iaquinta after learning he earns £60,000 a week after tax at Juventus.

The Italian's agent, Andrea D'Amico said: 'We are verifying a number of options for Iaquinta in Italy, but especially in England. Fulham? That is a concrete hypothesis.'

Former Fulham striker Orlando Sa is in talks with Sheffield Wednesday.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2175612/Fulham-talk-Yannick-Sagbo-Vincenzo-Iaquintas-wage-shock.html#ixzz214qwzeob

WhiteJC

Trotta's Brace

Teenage striker Marcello Trotta feels his two-goal salvo could be a sign of things to come this season after getting his name on the Fulham First-Team scoresheet for the first time against Lokomotive Leipzig.

The Italian pounced early to open the scoring on Wednesday night and followed his first goal up with a thunderbolt half-volley, before he was replaced at half-time – but he feels it was a job well done.

"I'm very happy now after scoring my first goal for the senior team," Trotta said.

"Even if it's a friendly, it means a lot for me and hopefully it's a sign of things to come this season.

"I was very happy because I'm trying to be in the right place, and I believe that if you give me a chance then I will take it.

"Once you've scored it makes you more comfortable and it gives you more confidence. I had a few other chances but I'm a striker and when I get a chance I really want to score a goal."

Trotta himself is the first to admit that goalscoring breeds confidence and, if he is given the nod to play again against Kaiserslautern on Saturday, the 19-year-old is determined to celebrate another strike.

"After scoring the first, the second one felt very good. It was a half volley and I was thinking let's try this, and it turned out to be a very good goal and I'm very pleased with that.

"I know I have to take my chances because there might not be many. You have to take them and tonight I feel like I have. Hopefully there will be another goal in the next game."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/July/TrottaMatchReaction.aspx?

WhiteJC

Clint Dempsey Staying With Fulham...For Now

USMNT star Clint Dempsey is staying at Fulham, for now. The club has issued a hands off warning, saying they would "discourage any club from making a bid for him." They claim they have not received an offer for Dempsey.

The 29-year-old has been linked heavily with Liverpool this summer. Fulham reportedly offered Dempsey plus cash to the Reds for Andy Carroll. Fenway Sports Group's own site jumped the gun on his signing early this morning. Posting how they were interested on their own website seems to be a clear indicator of interest.

Dempsey's desirable qualities are well known. He is coming off a monster, 28-goal season last year. The troubles are his advancing age and his inflated value for Fulham, significantly more than most clubs would be willing to pay. Fulham want a reported $11 million for Dempsey, who will have little to no value at the back end of his next contract. That plus a bump in wages would price out many teams, such as Arsenal. Liverpool, with wealthy American owners desperate to revamp the squad, is the most probable exception.

Liverpool, one of the most prestigious clubs in European soccer, would be a significant step up for Dempsey. The club finished level on points with Fulham last season, though that was one of Fulham's best seasons in modern history and one of Liverpool's worst. It is not the Champions League destination Dempsey was seeking, but it is a club that can get there should it reach its potential. Liverpool won the trophy in 2005 and reached the final as recently as 2007.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/07/18/clint-dempsey-staying-with-fulham-for-now-liverpool/?

WhiteJC

Liverpool Transfer Rumors: Fenway Sports Group Flubs on Dempsey Signing

Liverpool owners, Fenway Sports Group posted on their website early this morning that the Reds have "added Clint Dempsey to a team that came within a game of winning the FA Cup."

The only problem, Dempsey is still a Fulham player and the Cottagers deny that they have received any bids for the 29-year-old.

A spokesman for the London side rebutted these claims by stating, "We have received no offers from any club for Clint Dempsey. We would discourage any club from making a bid for him.''

The post was removed from NESN.com just five hours after the original flub, but the damage may already have been done.

Brendan Rodgers moved quickly to clear the air in an interview with LiverpoolFC.com:

Clint is a player we've enquired about, it is as simple as that. Ian Ayre, our managing director, has spoken with the club to see what the position is. That is where we're at. He's a very talented player but we don't like to talk about other clubs' players.

Rodgers is keen to freshen up his attacking options before the start of the 2012-13 campaign, and according to The Mirror, a swap deal (plus cash) for £35 million rated, Andy Carroll could see Dempsey land on Merseyside.

Liverpool are currently gearing up for their North American tour that will commence on July 21 against MLS club, Toronto FC.

Fulham continue to remain coy over their star man's future, but the Reds will likely be looking for the American to join up with new signing Fabio Borini and the rest of the squad as soon as possible.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1263683-liverpool-transfer-rumors-fenway-sports-group-flubs-on-dempsey-signing?

WhiteJC

Agent says Iaquinta could sign for Fulham

Juventus striker Vincenzo Iaquinta could move to Fulham, according to the player's agent.

The 32-year-old former Italy striker spent the end of last season loan to Cesena and is reportedly set to leave the Old Lady this summer.

Iaquinta's agent, Andrea D'Amico, says the player could move to England and confirmed Fulham as a potential destination.

"We are verifying a number of different options for Iaquinta in Italy, but especially in England," D'Amico told Calcio Sport 24.

"Fulham? That is a concrete hypothesis."

Fulham are looking to bolster their frontline after Andrew Johnson, Pavel Pogrebnyak and Orlando Sa all departed this summer, while Bobby Zamora left the club in the January transfer window.

Martin Jol's only attacking signings this summer are free agents Mladen Petric and Hugo Rodallega.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/soccer/14268721/agent-says-iaquinta-could-sign-for-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Good signs for Jol as Fulham win in Leipzig

Lokomotive Leipzig 0 Fulham 4

Fulham manager Martin Jol was given food for thought as young striker Marcello Trotta scored twice in a resounding win for the Whites in Germany.

Trotta's first-half double put them in control before new signing Mladen Petric and Lauri Della Valle scored after the interval to round off an encouraging performance.

Another summer signing, Sascha Riether, combined with Mesca to set up the opener for Trotta, who fired through the keeper's legs.

Steve Sidwell headed wide from Mesca's cross before Trotta belted in from 20 yards following good work from Alex Kacaniklic.

Lokomotive Leipzig started the second half well but found themselves further behind when Croatian striker Petric netted after being put through by Kerim Frei,

Simon Davies was involved in the fourth. Mahamadou Diarra guided the Welshman's 84th-minute cross into the path of Della Valle, who finished well.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/good-signs-for-jol-as6-fulham-win79-in-leipzig?

WhiteJC

LIVERPOOL TOLD TO THINK AGAIN BY FULHAM ABOUT CLINT DEMPSEY

FULHAM have warned Liverpool to forget trying to sign Clint Dempsey on the cheap.

The Anfield club was embarrassed yesterday when a report on their American owners' website claimed the USA international had become Brendan Rodgers' latest signing.

The erroneous article, posted on Fenway Sports Group's website, was later removed.

No bid has been lodged as yet and the Craven Cottage club insist the forward will not be sold for a fee in the region of £5million. with Fulham seeking nearer £10m.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/333815?

WhiteJC

Farcical twist in the pursuit of Dempsey

FULHAM HAVE taken a resolute stance over the future of Clint Dempsey, insisting that he will not be allowed to complete a cut-price move to Liverpool simply because he has only 12 months to run on his contract.

The situation took a farcical twist yesterday morning when the website of Fenway Sports Group, the Liverpool owners, said that the club had "added Clint Dempsey to a team that came within a game of winning the FA Cup". Fulham were bewildered as they had received no offer from Liverpool. The story was removed from the website.

Liverpool do have a serious interest in Dempsey, who scored 23 goals in all competitions last season, and the United States international would be receptive to the notion of a move to Anfield. But the fee remains an obstacle.

Liverpool would be loth to spend big money on a 29-year-old who stands to become a free agent next summer but Fulham's valuation of arguably their star player is reflected by the words of a club source, who said that a bid of around €6 million would be "laughed out of the boardroom."

Fulham and Liverpool did discuss Dempsey's possible transfer earlier in the summer but, as yet, there has been no official approach. "We have received no offers from any club for Clint Dempsey," a Fulham spokesperson said. "We would discourage any club from making a bid for him."

Meanwhile, at least one German in the Allianz Arena was celebrating as Chelsea defeated Bayern Munich on their own turf to win the Champions League final. Marko Marin had just agreed to join Chelsea from Werder Bremen and, while his new team-mates rejoiced at their improbable victory last May, he looked on from his seat reflecting on a decision well made.

Whether it will work out for the club is open to debate, since Marin is a rarity: a Germany international who looks like something of a gamble. A winger who can also play centrally, the 23-year-old made his Germany debut as a teenager in 2008 and Bremen paid Borussia Monchengladbach almost €9 million for him the following year. A similar sum has brought him to Stamford Bridge, indicating how his career has largely stalled.

Marin made two substitute appearances at the 2010 World Cup finals and appeared to belong alongside the likes of Mesut Ozil, Sami Khedira and Thomas Muller as totems of the new, young and thrilling German team. Yet he did not make the squad for Euro 2012, partly after missing much of the second half of the season through a hamstring injury and partly because he had not played well enough since South Africa to make himself essential.

A quick and enthusiastic dribbler, he has been denigrated as a provider of flair without substance. But he does not lack confidence. "It wasn't a surprise for me that Chelsea came in because all over the years there were a lot of big clubs interested in me. This time I thought it was the right step to go to England," he said during Chelsea's pre-season tour of the United States.

"Tottenham were interested in me in January but I decided early on that I wanted to come to Chelsea. When Chelsea called I was sure I wanted to play there."

With the Brazil international Oscar set to join from Internacional for around €31 million and Eden Hazard and Juan Mata already part of Roberto Di Matteo's squad, Chelsea seem well-stocked with nimble, attacking midfield players.

Guardian Service

Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who was signed yesterday by Paris Saint-Germain, will be subject to French President Francois Hollande's planned 75 per cent income tax rate.

The club's announcement that it was signing the Swedish striker from AC Milan on a three-year contract forced the French government to clarify whether professional athletes will face the "millionaire tax".

A rate of 75 per cent on income of more than €1million was among Hollande's election campaign pledges. Ibrahimovic will earn €14 million annually, sports daily L'Equipe reported.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0719/1224320379184.html?

WhiteJC

Cardiff City chiefs insist Peter Whittingham going nowhere after Fulham bids rejected

Cardiff City have dismissed two offers from Premier League club Fulham for star midfielder Peter Whittingham, and insisted he is not for sale.

The Craven Cottage side are the latest top-flight outfit to try to tempt Whittingham away from the Bluebirds, their highest offer thought to be around £2m.

But manager Malky Mackay, currently at a pre-season training camp in Switzerland said: "He is a Cardiff City player and we are looking to keep our best players.

Mackay's stance was backed up by chief executive Alan Whiteley, who said: "We have had two offers from the same club and rejected them both. "They do not come up to our aspirations, nor do we have any desire to sell Peter.

"As far as we're concerned Peter is going nowhere."

Whittingham 27, played every minute of all 46 Championship matches last season and is under contract for another two seasons.

Mackay again sees him as a crucial player in the quest for promotion and the laidback midfield playmaker is keen to be part of the Bluebirds team as they again press for promotion.

Fulham manager Martin Jol needs a creative midfield player following the departure of captain and former England international Danny Murphy to Blackburn Rovers.

But Jol has been left in no doubt Whittingham is not for sale.

Cardiff have already added three players, signing Slovenian striker Etien Velikonja, midfield player Jordon Mutch and goalkeeper Joe Lewis, while they remain close to clinching a deal for £2.4m-rated Kim Bo-Kyung.

The South Korean winger or central midfield player, 22, has made it clear he wants to sign for Cardiff and personal terms are agreed, though talks continue with his Japanese club Cerezo Osaka.

Kim is in Britain preparing for the Olympics and talks between Cardiff and his representatives went well this week. The deal should be completed fairly quickly and Kim is adamant it must be done before the start of the 2012 Olympic Games.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city/cardiff-city-fc/2012/07/19/91466-31424533/?#ixzz214uLC9Qp

WhiteJC

Fulham want Bolton midfelder – report

Fulham are chasing Bolton midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker, according to the Daily Mirror.

It is claimed the former Wimbledon and West Ham man, 28, is keen to return to London and that Fulham are interested in signing him.

The Mirror also say Liverpool would be prepared to sell Andy Carroll to Fulham in a part-exchange deal for Clint Dempsey but the England striker's advisors insist he will only move on loan.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/paper-talk/fulham-want-bolton-midfelder-report

WhiteJC

Fulham target pair

Fulham have stepped up their interest in Nigel Reo-Coker and Ivory Coast striker Yannick Sagbo.

Reo-Coker is a free agent after activating a clause in his contract following Bolton's relegation from the Premier League.

Boss Martin Jol has also opened talks with French club Evian over 24-year-old Sagbo, who is valued at £3.5million.

Fulham are also interested in Juventus veteran Vincenzo Iaquinta and Huddersfield's Jordan Rhodes.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-target-pair-7958832.html

WhiteJC

Fulham Slap £10m Price Tag On Liverpool Target Clint Dempsey

Liverpool have been told to cough up £10 million if they want to sign Fulham forward Clint Dempsey, reports the Daily Star.

New Anfield boss Brendan Rogers has identified the American as his number one target, leading to embarrassment yesterday when Liverpool's US owners announced the signing of the 29-year-old on their website – a claim Fulham vehemently denied.

The article, posted on the Fenway Group site claimed Dempsey had been added to the team 'that came within a game of winning the FA Cup last season'. It was later removed.

Rogers has confirmed that he is interested in Dempsey but is thought to be unwilling to pay more than £5 million, with Fulham holding out for double that sum.

"Clint is a player we've ­inquired about, it is as simple as that. Ian Ayre, our managing director, has spoken with the club to see what the position is. That is where we're at," said Rodgers.

"He's a very talented player but we don't like to talk about other clubs' players."

Dempsey has emerged as one of the most talented advanced midfielders in the Premier League, scoring 30 goals in two seasons for a mid-table Cottagers side.

Fulham boss Martin Jol is reluctant to lose Dempsey but knows he must sell before he can buy.

Rodgers has already missed out on Icelandic playmaker Gylfi Sigurdsson, who opted to join Tottenham instead, and will be desperate to get the Dempsey deal done after going public about his desire to sign the star.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/07/19/fulham-slap-10m-price-tag-on-liverpool-target-clint-dempsey/?