watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How do you become a fulham fan?

Started by Duncs, July 20, 2012, 06:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supermitch

The sperm cell that fertilizes the egg contains either an CFC or a FFC chromosome. If it is an CFC, the baby is born with a low forehead and long arms. If it is an FFC, the baby is born with a brain...
[/quote]

Very good Ed - so true!!

My parents were both brought up in Fulham and were thankfully well brought up by my respective Grand-parents who were Fulham supporters as opposed to the alternative.  My Grandfather on my Dads side was at the first game at Craven Cottage in 1896.

jarv

Make sure the first match he goes to (as long as he is old enough to figure it out) is at Craven Cottage. That should do the trick. If he has mates who support Chelsea, manure, Liverpool etc, just keep telling him they are not real football supporters or real football teams. :011:

ffcitaly

I started to support FFC ten years ago.My british part of my family supports FFC and I've always liked the FFC style,the great supporters and the fantastic atmosphere at CC.

CincyFulham1

Dad moved us across the pond for business in late 1979 and our first gaff was in Fulham(Parsons Green).  Fulham was the local club, and the Cottage was less that a mile away.. no brainer really.

The Bronsons

Born in Fulham, grew up in Fulham, first live game was at Fulham, but if I'm honest it never really took. I was more into music than football and used to take the mick out of my FFC mates in the dark days.

Then I moved away and had kids and one day my son asked me who I supported. I said, "Fulham, I suppose", although I would have struggled to name a current player, and next thing I knew he wanted FFC kit for his birthday. So I took him to the Cottage to watch a game, as a surprise. Then I took him again... and six years later I'm in my fourth year as a season ticket-holder.

It's about going home.

Herbie

Great topic!  My journey is not a typical one.  It starts out in normal fashion in that my Dad is a Fulham fan after growing up in Southfields.  However he never really forced football on my brother and I when we were growing up.  So we went through a few phases, based on who we had been to watch, including Sutton Utd and Wimbledon.  I think my first top was a Wimbledon top.

Then during junior school, when who you supported became important in playground politics and being able to play footy at break time, I supported Man U like my best mate.  Now before I get ostracised for this, bear in mind that this was before the Premier League, during the time that Man U were average and everyone supported Liverpool.  All the while, Dad would keep an eye out for Fulham on the videprinter on a Saturday afternoon.

Anyway, when I got to 13-14, i asked Dad if we could go to watch more live footy, so he started taking me to the cottage.  I really wish I could remember what my first game was, but it was during the 95/96 season. 

From then on, i was hooked.  I loved the journey to the ground; I'm a sucker for being by water (find it really relaxing). When I hit 16 and got a part-time job I started going more often and I made the decision that Fulham were my team.  Then there was no looking back.

I'm glad Dad let me choose my team, but deep down it feels like Fulham have always been the right team, I just had to figure it out.

Aldo

Friend of the family took me to the Cottage aged 8. I took my daughter to the Cottage, also aged 8! Most of her friends support Chelsea, Arsenal or Man U, but they have never seen them play live, whereas my Emily has!

ffc73

Like many above, family.  I'm third generation FFC and originally lived off Lillee Road.  I was taken to my first game aged 7 at the Cottage in September 1973.  We had won our first 2 games of the 73/74 season and promptly lost 0-3 to Orient.

A word of caution though.  I have 3 sons aged 21, 19 and 17.  Probably several reasons why but, none of them support FFC.  This is because they are not interested on football at all (that is not sub-text for they support CFC!).  Possibly "too much too young" and they have now found their own interests to follow.

My nephew is now 10, living in Verwood in the New Forest amidst ManU, Chelski etc school pals.  I have been bringing him to 2 games a season for the last couple of years and seeing him in his FFC shirt shouting "come on Fulham" as we were 0-5 down to ManU last December makes me feel that I may have redeemed myself.

Mr_Moon

Berserker

Never mind Mr Moon i'm sure your recover eventually
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

cmg

Like so many good things in my young life, it was all my Dad's fault.
He was Millwall (by birth)/Arsenal (by inclination), but, as we lived in Sutton, both were deemed too far away for me at eight. The trolley-bus (younger readers may need to Google this) ran from Sutton Green past Selhurst Park so it was Crystal Palace for my first exposure to the beautiful (not very) game. I'd have probably gone along with this, but I think Dad felt this might not be quite right (I think Palace finished bottom of Div 3 South that year) and so took me on the more ambitous journey to Fulham. Eventually both were at home on the same Saturday and I was given the choice. It was what is today called a no-brainer, I had seen Johnny Haynes and even at that age I could recognize genius when I was looking at it for 90 minutes. Dad was relieved because it meant he had not bred a total idiot (that side of my nature developed later).

So, Dad, you've got a big responsibility!

ffc73

Mr Moon obviously has far too much ambition for the rest of us

GoldCoastWhite

Quote from: FFC73 on July 21, 2012, 05:17:07 PM
Mr Moon obviously has far too much ambition for the rest of us
:005:

Burt

Born in Putney, and Brother Burt (one of three older brothers, but the sensible one who had got in to supporting Fulham) took me when I was knee-high to a grasshopper in 1974 (v. Blackburn). Hooked from then on.

Although I now live out in the sticks (if you can call Thames Ditton that) I got Burt Jr. in to the Fulham way from a very early stage too (5 years old, first match v. Cheltenham in the FA Cup at the Loftodrome). Apart from a minor wobble due to school peer pressure (full of glory hunting Chelsea, Arsenal and ManU fans) he has been a loyal white ever since, and actually now enjoys being the school oddball.

Peabody

As you can guess, I lived in Peabody Buildings on the Fulham Palace Road. My Dad died in 1946,when I was 7, as a diversion from what had happened, my Uncle (who was Liverpool born and bred) had just been demobbed from the army and he took me to see Fulham v Luton Town (we won 2-1) and that was it, I was a Fulham fan. Thank goodness both Chelseea and QPR were away that day.

Staffs White

Its a very good question and one that I have to answer a lot being from and still living in Stoke.

My dad was never really into football so I never had the influence of parents thank god otherwise I'd probably be a Stoke or Port Vale Fan

I decided to follow Fulham just because it was different when I was a young lad in the mid 80's

My 1st game was a 1-1 draw at Port Vale on 19th September 1987

Back in the days before the internet I spent the following 2 seasons glued to teletext waiting for news of how we were doing on a Saturday afternoon with my yearly Fulham fix coming at either Vale Park or Gresty Road, the only places I could get to see us play live.

Freedom soon came when I passed my driving test on the day Italia 90 started and for season 91/92 I was able to get to the delights of Shrewsbury, Bolton, Bury Mansfield etc.

Amazingly I did not see Fulham win a game until the 91/92 season (nearly 5 years) when we beat Bolton at Burnden Park 3-0

My 1st visit to the Cottage was in 93/94 to witness a 0-0 draw against Wrexham.

Looking back now its bizzare really that I chose Fulham but I just feel that I belong and the whole ethos of the club and the whole "Fulhamish" thing was made for me so if I get asked I just say it was fate and always meant to be