watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

El Capitan

Started by Herbie, July 21, 2012, 08:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herbie

Has the club announced who will be the new captain following the departure of Murph?

My vote would be for Brede; he is guaranteed to be on the team sheet if fit and played in every PL game last season.    1491

Burt

Good question.

And probably the right answer, although to be successful in that role I think he has to get a bit more vocal to keep things going on the pitch.

MontenegroWhite

Brede Brede Brede!!! He deserves it 100%.

Vice-cap could be Dembele.

cmg

As the man who has most usually stood in for Murphy and who is captain of his country, it would be surprising if Hangeland were not given the armband.

Aaron Hughes has also done the job and has also captained his country, although his longer term prospects of a regular start would rule him out.

Another other guy who has captained his country (we've got quite a lot for a little team haven't we?) who, I think, would make a fine captain (he always looks like the boss when he plays, anyway) is Diarra, but I guess he hasn't been around long enough.

cebu

Will Jol surprise us all and give it to Mark Schwarzer? I'd give it to Brede though ...

Peabody

I suppose Brede is the obvious choice but during last season, when Danny was not playing, Brede did skipper the side on a few occaisions and I do not think we did very well when that happened. Just a thought.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Peabody on July 21, 2012, 11:40:26 AM
I suppose Brede is the obvious choice but during last season, when Danny was not playing, Brede did skipper the side on a few occaisions and I do not think we did very well when that happened. Just a thought.

Was that because Brede was captain or because Murphy was missing I wonder though?

alexbishop

I imagine it will be Brede as he quite clearly deserves it.

Whether he'll make a good captain is another thing. Arguably the modern day football team doesn't need a captain and it is more of a role awarded to a player for his service to the club or because he's a big name (see pointless captains such as Taraabt at QPR)

Murphy seemed to the buck the trend and was a superb captain who commanded the respect of all his teammates. He was vocal, represented the team with class and wasn't afraid to tell people off. I don't think Brede will ever be the captain Danny was but then again who will? Mark won't play enough games next season and I don't believe in goalkeepers as captains anyway. Duffers won't play enough games either. Diarra is too new and not sure how good his english is.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

Berserker

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Berserker

Sorry spelt that wrong, Riise for Captain

- Martin Luther King Jr.

EtuhuForNigeria

I thought Hangeland had already been announced as the new captain? He gets my backing anyway.

NogoodBoyo

I love Hangeland as a player but I haven't been impressed with his on-field captaincy.  I would give it to Schwartzer.  He'll still keep Stockdale out; he's very focused, intelligent, articulate and, most importantly, I reckon he would be a good on-field motivator. 
France and Italy both had goal-keepers as captains.  Or was it Spain?  How quickly I forget.
Nogood "Captain Haddock, isit" Boyo

Mr Fulham

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on July 21, 2012, 09:59:17 PM
I love Hangeland as a player but I haven't been impressed with his on-field captaincy.  I would give it to Schwartzer.  He'll still keep Stockdale out; he's very focused, intelligent, articulate and, most importantly, I reckon he would be a good on-field motivator. 
France and Italy both had goal-keepers as captains.  Or was it Spain?  How quickly I forget.
Nogood "Captain Haddock, isit" Boyo

Hope we don't give it to the goalkeeper.

Give it to Riise.

Berserker

- Martin Luther King Jr.

HatterDon

I'm comfortable leaving that decision up to Jol. Whoever he picks is fine with me.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Maidstone Lee

Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19