more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

pompey near closure, some players refuse to help

Started by epsomraver, July 23, 2012, 04:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

Reindeer

Does everyone connected with saving Pompey have to have a tree related surname?

jarv

When a company heads towards bankruptcy, they usually file chapter 7 or 11 for protection. (and end up offering 5 pence in the pound)  Does this only apply to vendors and not former employees? (or current employees).?

Next question.... did 'arry offer these overpaid numpties their fat contracts?. (Ban Haim, Kanu....give me a break).

MJG

You can understand the players a little. They signed in good faith and have taken cuts here and there and in the end you look after yourself.

leonffc

Quote from: jarv on July 23, 2012, 06:04:15 PM
When a company heads towards bankruptcy, they usually file chapter 7 or 11 for protection. (and end up offering 5 pence in the pound)  Does this only apply to vendors and not former employees? (or current employees).?

Football is different. Don't ask me why. The 'football family' - basically the players, get their cut first (100% I think) before the little man in the street can get his 5%.
A recent appeal to change this law was overturned in court recently.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: leonffc on July 23, 2012, 06:41:22 PM
Quote from: jarv on July 23, 2012, 06:04:15 PM

Football is different. Don't ask me why. The 'football family' - basically the players, get their cut first (100% I think) before the little man in the street can get his 5%.

You're confusing liquidation with administration.

Portsmouth have been in and out of administration. Their options are over if there isn't a viable buyer. Liquidation means the end of the club. Someone will no doubt buy the assets and some money will go to creditors. The players won't get special treatment.

A Portsmouth new co would start in non league at level 7 or 8 as Aldershot and others have done.

Admin

And one person sitting there sunning it up at his sandy banks resort not given an absolute f**k would be the one and only Harry Redknapp. Takes two to tango though and the owners of Pompey should have seen him coming.

sunburywhite

And Milan Madric is Mother Theresas brother??????
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Walsh

my mate is a Pompey fan and I asked him "if Pompey close down who will you follow", he replied "Arsenal".

leonffc

[/quote]

You're confusing liquidation with administration.

Portsmouth have been in and out of administration. Their options are over if there isn't a viable buyer. Liquidation means the end of the club. Someone will no doubt buy the assets and some money will go to creditors. The players won't get special treatment.

A Portsmouth new co would start in non league at level 7 or 8 as Aldershot and others have done.
[/quote]

Aaaah indeed I am TG. Happy to be corrected.

So it would benifit the players to lower their demands then?

MrFantastic

Tal Ben Haim refused to listen, even if the whole club is going down he would rather get his money than help a little bit. He is the highest payed player left there so he should lead by example and terminate his contract. I would get it if he was some player that is starting out, didn't earn good money before. But he has money he played for good clubs before. Portsmouth fans shouldn't even give these players a choice terminate your contract or else. They would sign and would leave.
My friend has a trophy wife, I guess it wasn't first place.

The Rock

Well they can collect their wages and if the club ceases to exist, they can go join someone else on a free, right? Going from Europa league to broke in 4 years? It's the clubs fault, not the players. Players can't be held accountable when they can get paid elsewhere.

epsomraver

Quote from: The Rock on July 23, 2012, 09:48:48 PM
Well they can collect their wages and if the club ceases to exist, they can go join someone else on a free, right? Going from Europa league to broke in 4 years? It's the clubs fault, not the players. Players can't be held accountable when they can get paid elsewhere.

I am sure the staff being made redundant on £200 a week will agree with you watching players pocketing £35 k a week

Fletchino

jarv

fulham traveller

EtuhuForNigeria

Quote from: MrFantastic on July 23, 2012, 09:27:07 PM
Tal Ben Haim refused to listen, even if the whole club is going down he would rather get his money than help a little bit. He is the highest payed player left there so he should lead by example and terminate his contract. I would get it if he was some player that is starting out, didn't earn good money before. But he has money he played for good clubs before. Portsmouth fans shouldn't even give these players a choice terminate your contract or else. They would sign and would leave.
He has already given up £2.5m in wages, give him some credit.

HatterDon

I hate to see any club in that situation, but to point fingers at the players seems a little uncharitable. Over the last three seasons, they've gone without paychecks at times, have agreed to forego bonuses, and -- in MANY cases -- have taken significant wage cuts to help keep the club going from week to week.

They're employees, and it is hardly ever the employees that get a business into financial straits. But young wealthy athletes are easy to blame, and so it goes.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

timmyg

Quote from: HatterDon on July 24, 2012, 04:19:45 AM
I hate to see any club in that situation, but to point fingers at the players seems a little uncharitable. Over the last three seasons, they've gone without paychecks at times, have agreed to forego bonuses, and -- in MANY cases -- have taken significant wage cuts to help keep the club going from week to week.

They're employees, and it is hardly ever the employees that get a business into financial straits. But young wealthy athletes are easy to blame, and so it goes.

Don's right. Financially, this club has been a basket-case since Gaydamak bought out Mandaric in 2006. They've gone from Mandaric to Gaydamak to Sulaiman Al-Fahim (August 2009) to Ali al-Faraj 40 days later in October 2009, someone WHO MIGHT NOT EXIST, to Balram Chainrai (October 2010) to Vladimir Aleksandrovich Antonov (June 2011) to Balram Chainrai again in November 2011. Currently, they are in receivership.

So, I'd say it's not wholly the player's fault in this instance.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

TonyGilroy

It's not the players fault but Portsmouth WILL die in the next week or two unless they agree to tear up their contracts.

They'll get very little if that happens anyway.

It's brinkmanship assuming that at the last minute a buyer will arrive who will honour their contracts and provide the money to avoid liquidation. Usually that's what happens but as we've just seen with Rangers not always and not, I fear, in this case.