more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

over the cahill

Started by panto, July 23, 2012, 11:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panto

would you've taken tim cahill.

I would've. I thought he was much younger than he was. He had a couple of years in him.

Jack Fulham

We're better off giving our young players a chance. Cahill hasn't been great the past couple of seasons.

AmericanJames

Being stateside I really like seeing players of his quality make there way over, yet I fear most people internationally are starting to see the MLS as a retirement league and have discredited the rapid development of the level of competition over the past decade. Its a bit of a conundrum to be honest, especially when you don't have a hometown team to call your own and you are just rooting for the advancement of the game in the country.
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

panto

sorry to say this but sadly the MLS is a retirement league for European players but we have seen that it can provide a few good young Americans. Only when MLS gets Europeans that are in their 20s rather than 30s will it loose it's retirement brand but I am not sure it wants to loose that brand as the average american doesn't follow soccer but does follow celebrity. They will only be happy to watch Beckham, Henry, Keane and Angel once they've made a name for themselves in Europe and then the clubs get them to enhance their advertising campaigns. 

Ubik

Sadly injuries have taken there toll on Cahill, and he no longer seems to be close to the player he was two or three years back. Not really sure why, though, as he didn't have much to his game other than an uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time and being superb in the air (sounds much like our Clint, actually). On the face of it, injuries and age shouldn't effect these two elements of play greatly, but there you go :S

PaulUMD

Quote from: panto on July 24, 2012, 10:33:16 AM
sorry to say this but sadly the MLS is a retirement league for European players but we have seen that it can provide a few good young Americans. Only when MLS gets Europeans that are in their 20s rather than 30s will it loose it's retirement brand but I am not sure it wants to loose that brand as the average american doesn't follow soccer but does follow celebrity. They will only be happy to watch Beckham, Henry, Keane and Angel once they've made a name for themselves in Europe and then the clubs get them to enhance their advertising campaigns. 

It will probably always be a European player retirement league, but that's OK.  The future of the league is with North, Central and South American players.  Younger players in these regions are starting to figure out that MLS can give them a good, steady paycheck and a look from the big Euro leagues.  That's the future, become the Eredivisie of the Americans, utilizing good young talent from the Americas and giving them a showcase to the big 4 leagues in England, Italy, Germany and Spain.  And if 30 year old, good Euro pros want to come over and contribute, fine by us.

Matt Inglis

No. Last season really proved that his best days are behind him. Quite a lot of talk went on regarding his personal goal drought. That same drought, I seem to remember, was only ended by a two-yard tap-in. Then again they all count.
There's only one Emma's burger stand.

mr-ska

Through the years, when we've played Everton, Cahill was the player i feared most. Maybe time has caught up with him, but he was a great player x

Berserker

It catches up with all of us sadly :-(
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

HatterDon

Quote from: PaulUMD on July 24, 2012, 05:52:50 PM
Quote from: panto on July 24, 2012, 10:33:16 AM

It will probably always be a European player retirement league, but that's OK.  The future of the league is with North, Central and South American players.  Younger players in these regions are starting to figure out that MLS can give them a good, steady paycheck and a look from the big Euro leagues.  That's the future, become the Eredivisie of the Americans, utilizing good young talent from the Americas and giving them a showcase to the big 4 leagues in England, Italy, Germany and Spain.  And if 30 year old, good Euro pros want to come over and contribute, fine by us.

I agree 100% with this post.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

licker

End of an era at Goodison Park.

Since he arrived there Tim Cahill has been an inspiration to Evertonians both young and old, and i for one will be sad to see him go.

He will be a massive loss to the dressing room because of his passion, enthusiasm, and the attitude he shows when he pulls on the blue shirt.

Not blessed with silky skills or exquisite ball control, but undoubtably  a brilliant player for us and his love for the club has always been openly displayed.  
Time is catching up with him and for the last year has not been as good as he was, but he was with us for 8 years and at one and a half million pounds must have been the bargain buy of all time.

Thanks Tim, have a nice relaxing time winding down, you've earned it.

Bill

Burt

Agree Bill. Whenever we played Everton he was the one to watch out for. Great player, and such loyalty is rare in this day and age.

GoldCoastWhite

We were hoping he'd head back to Oz and the A-League as that would really have been a coup for our local league. I still think he has plenty to offer, even his his best days are probably behind him but not the way forward for Fulham. Hope he has a great year (or two) in the States then heads home while he still has some of that famous spring left in his heels.  oztralian