https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - The Olympics Build-Up

Started by The Equalizer, July 24, 2012, 04:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Equalizer

Some thoughtful words from our Maniacal Megalomaniac Mayor, Boris Johnson:

Boris Johnson's Olympic Welcome
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

The Doctor

Boris' vision of the opening ceremony is far more dramatic than anything Danny Boyle could possibly conceive.  Friday evening's going to be a massive let down after watching that

The Equalizer

In other news, I've just found out that Denzel Washington will be playing me in a new film adaptation of 'The Equalizer'.

I would've given it to Harrison Ford personally, but these studios just don't take a good hint.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Burt

The torch passed through our neck of the woods earlier today (Surbiton, Kingston). I had to go to work, but Mrs Burt dragged Burt Jr and Ms Burt out of bed to witness this historic event. All very good, by all accounts. I think the way they have done this torch relay has been top notch.

Harrison Ford as the Equalizer? He would have got my vote, and that of Mrs B.

HatterDon

The Fox Soccer Canadian wrap-up of the weekend's football featured Joe Cole with the Olympic torch and a couple of dogs -- one who looked very like Stratton the bulldog  :012: At the end of the segment the announcer said, "He probably injured his achilles doing this."
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Doctor

Quote from: Burt on July 24, 2012, 04:54:57 PM
The torch passed through our neck of the woods earlier today (Surbiton, Kingston). I had to go to work, but Mrs Burt dragged Burt Jr and Ms Burt out of bed to witness this historic event. All very good, by all accounts. I think the way they have done this torch relay has been top notch.

Yeah, we had it a couple of weeks back...it started out from my front door so I just strolled out 10 mins before the torch arrived with a cuppa, much to the chagrin of those who'd pitched up early.  Didn't appreciate all the sponsor hoopla that preceeded it though.  We had Raymond Blanc run it through the centre of town - I didn't see that bit but apparently the highlight was him dropping his phone and having to double back on himself to retrieve it!

Gutted I won't be going to any of the events, but wasn't in a position to enter the ballot last year.  Have a week off soon so might spend some time strolling round the park and soaking up the general atmosphere to make up for it

Burt

Quote from: The Doctor on July 24, 2012, 05:03:21 PM

Yeah, we had it a couple of weeks back...it started out from my front door so I just strolled out 10 mins before the torch arrived with a cuppa, much to the chagrin of those who'd pitched up early.  Didn't appreciate all the sponsor hoopla that preceeded it though.  We had Raymond Blanc run it through the centre of town - I didn't see that bit but apparently the highlight was him dropping his phone and having to double back on himself to retrieve it!

Gutted I won't be going to any of the events, but wasn't in a position to enter the ballot last year.  Have a week off soon so might spend some time strolling round the park and soaking up the general atmosphere to make up for it

You need tickets just to get in to the park, Mr Doctor sir... We have those for Thursday next week.

The Doctor

Balls...big screen in Trafalgar Square?  Else it's watching it on TV for me.  I still want a go on the cable car though.

Scratch that, can still get Park tickets.  Get in.  Right, where's my diary....

MOR :

Quote from: The Doctor on July 24, 2012, 05:03:21 PM

Yeah, we had it a couple of weeks back...it started out from my front door so I just strolled out 10 mins before the torch arrived with a cuppa, much to the chagrin of those who'd pitched up early.  Didn't appreciate all the sponsor hoopla that preceeded it though.  We had Raymond Blanc run it through the centre of town - I didn't see that bit but apparently the highlight was him dropping his phone and having to double back on himself to retrieve it!

Gutted I won't be going to any of the events, but wasn't in a position to enter the ballot last year.  Have a week off soon so might spend some time strolling round the park and soaking up the general atmosphere to make up for it

You should do the "Mens Olympic Cycle Road race" this coming Saturday...plenty of vantage points and free. They ride through Richmond Park.

The Doctor

Sadly, I'm in Wycombe watching some non-olympic football

Berserker

Think Harrison Ford is a bit old for the Equaliser role now. Strangely enough I used to like the original Equaliser as Callan, one of my favourite detective series of all time.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

zzamora

William Hill is offering odds of 33-1 that Boris Johnson sets his hair on fire whilst using the Olympic Torch.

I love that man.

epsomraver

What other country would have an Ex German tennis player carry the torch???  If Berlin had won it I can see them asking Henman to carry it for them :014: :014:

ron

Summer is for watching cricket, and waiting for the football to start. Anything else is second string, and not for me (and I suspect many others).

Oh, and don't get me started on the Test Match either.

So there !  :031: 092.gif

The Equalizer

Quote from: epsomraver on July 24, 2012, 09:17:54 PM
What other country would have an Ex German tennis player carry the torch???  If Berlin had won it I can see them asking Henman to carry it for them :014: :014:

And Will.i.am had it through Taunton. He just wants to get his face on everything these days.

Burt

Well I for one am really looking forward to the Olympics.

I used to love it as a kid (Daley Thompson and Steve Ovett were heroes of mine) and to have it in your own backyard is just something else.                 

The cycling goes down Hampton Court Road on the 28th, 29th and 1st, so that's three events I can watch whizz by for nothing!

leonffc

I couldn't give a monkeys about it. When it came through my neck of the woods I stayed firmly away. People dragging their kids out in the pouring rain (as it was then) to see a torch?! It's not like it's THE torch. There's bloody hundreds of them! It's like going bird watching and getting all excited over a crow.
And then it was gone ..... What an anti climax I imagine. Pointless IMO but I firmly accept some people enjoy it.
Also, the 'torch relay' was started by the Nazis which doesn't bode well (although so was burning gypsies so that arguments a non starter).

Sorry for being miserable on the subject but I'm just not into it. Once again it's more about the sponsors than the athletes and fans.
Oh, and what the hell is football doing in there!

cottage cheese

Quote from: leonffc on July 25, 2012, 12:17:40 PM
I couldn't give a monkeys about it. When it came through my neck of the woods I stayed firmly away. People dragging their kids out in the pouring rain (as it was then) to see a torch?! It's not like it's THE torch. There's bloody hundreds of them! It's like going bird watching and getting all excited over a crow.
And then it was gone ..... What an anti climax I imagine. Pointless IMO but I firmly accept some people enjoy it.
Also, the 'torch relay' was started by the Nazis which doesn't bode well (although so was burning gypsies so that arguments a non starter).

Sorry for being miserable on the subject but I'm just not into it. Once again it's more about the sponsors than the athletes and fans.

nazi's first introduced the ideas of motorways.....bet you use them and not moan??

please could you go elsewhere and not give us your life story on a thread about the olympics

cebu

Quote from: cottage cheese on July 25, 2012, 12:28:12 PM

nazi's first introduced the ideas of motorways.....

That is ... erm ... complete rubbish!

Lighthouse

I used to enjoy the Olympics but have to say it is all silly now. Too big and too much money spent . Add tennis to the what the hell is it doing there.  I agree with you 100% about the torch relay. Glad people enjoy it but it simply does literally pass me by.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope