watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR For Foreigners (Non UK) Only

Started by panto, July 28, 2012, 08:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panto

So London just spent 90million on the olympic opening ceremony. The purpose of the ceremony was to make more businesses and foreigners invest in Britain. Obviously we can't tell if this is actually going to work but you can give us an idea of how it was perceived overseas. I would like to know if the it was worth the increase in my taxes. No one outside Britain has posted anything on the official opening ceremony post which I think is a bad sign. thanks

Moderator Note: As this is aimed at non UK-based members, the overseas section of the MB is more appropriate.

btings

Here's what I said on twitter: "So, that was both incredibly weird and also strangely literal, but I enjoyed it. Good job, ancestral homeland."  I then had a lot of bad things to say about the American broadcast which, among other crimes, replaced the incredibly moving 7/7 tribute (I watched it on deadspin) with an interview with Michael Phelps.

I think a lot could be said about the comparison between this ceremony and the one in Beijing.  They were obviously aiming a different targets, but I don't think that's a bad thing for London.  I found it charming.

Basil

Ceremony £26 million not £90 million, big difference.

MJG

Im British and proud and don't know where you got the 90m figure.
Yes it was and will be worth it.

Rupert

Quote from: Basil on July 28, 2012, 08:43:42 AM
Ceremony £26 million not £90 million, big difference.

No Basil, you're British, young panto couldn't give a stuff about you posting the facts to his fantasy, he said so himself.

I watched it in the pub, commented to somebody that it looked impressive, he got all miserable on me about the cost (was that you, panto?), so I told him to go away and be miserable by himself. He did.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Peabody

As a British Taxpayer, I was tremendously proud last night. But then you don't want to hear that, do you?

TheDaddy

[img] With the fear of me talking shiite ,i thought it was overall a magnificent show.Giving an incite to the  world a brief look at our history and sense of humour  Things that put the Great into GREAT BRITAIN   :59:
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

cmg

If you don't give a crap about what I think, then perhaps you should consider posting on one of those forums that I don't use - which is virtually all the other forums in the world except this one.

One of the few serious disadvantages of posting on this forum is that you are stuck with my opinions whether you want them or not.

leonffc

I'm British (English actually) and don't care for it. I'm not bothered either way and have stated that I won't watch any of it but I hope it all goes well and I hope Britain comes out of this a proud nation.

I can't see how your taxes have gone up to pay for it. Mine haven't!

Interesting point though, how do foreign people perceive us over the Olympics? Do that many people really come over just for the games?
Do you know anyone that went to China?

CincyFulham1

I didn't watch, so I can't comment.

zzamora

Incredibly proud of what was a fantastic celebration of what is a unique and wonderful culture.

Don't really give a monkeys what any other country thinks.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: panto on July 28, 2012, 08:24:38 AM
The purpose of the ceremony was to make more businesses and foreigners invest in Britain.

Clearly it wasn't.

TonyGilroy

I'm English so ignore me but from being a complete sceptic I found myself being quietly charmed by the spectacle and will probably end up taking more of an interest and possibly even some pride in the games.

I don't know if my taxes have gone up as a result of the Olympics but my first choice option to bring them down would be to stop foreign wars.

Berserker

I agree with Mr  TG, i've been a bit fed up with all the olympic build up over the last few weeks, but the parts of the ceremony i did catch last night i was very proud of and impressed by.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

CorkCity

England has many moaning gits who dont know how good they have it, they moan about everythng, the NHS, foregners coming in, the weather, tax, traffic, cost of a pint, everything !
I for one am proud to be hosting the Olympics, forget the cost, your tax will not change whether the Olympics were there or not.
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: panto on July 28, 2012, 08:24:38 AM

If you are British don't bother writing on this post becasue I don't give a crap about what you have to think.

So London just spent 90million on the olympic opening ceremony. The purpose of the ceremony was to make more businesses and foreigners invest in Britain. Obviously we can't tell if this is actually going to work but you can give us an idea of how it was perceived overseas. I would like to know if the it was worth the increase in my taxes. No one outside Britain has posted anything on the official opening ceremony post which I think is a bad sign. thanks

fp.gif You need to get your facts right before you start a thread.

Personally, I thought it was a fantastic opening ceremony. Perfectly summing up our influence on the world throughout the modern era. A celebration of the multiculturalism that we should be proud of and an absolutely awesome demonstration of the talent that we have in our society.

And to quote you "I don't give a crap what you think" because that was the best thing I've ever seen.

Oh, and if you didn't want us to comment on it, put it in the overseas section.

:038: :59:
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

jarv

Apparently a study was just completed on previous olympics, and finances. The radio programme discussing it chose Barcelona and compared it to Madrid (which obviously was not the host city) as an example. They did qualify it by saying many other olympic cities were also studied and the results were the same.

Income from tourism/visitors showed there was no difference to what was normally generated. I doubt we will ever know because the government and organisers will never admit to it and will definitely spin it.

As far as the ceremony was concerned, I thought parts were very good and parts were naff, to a point of embarrassment. Very creative though. I live in America and some comments on tv reflected similar comments.

By the way, saying you don't give a crap about......   a little ott (just my opinion). To start with a statement like in any scenario will get you into trouble in life.

Porkopolis

I rather enjoyed the ceremony. As for finances the injection of money into the local economy from the Olympics is going to be massive. It is a good time to own a business in London. Any taxes spent will be well worth it.

YankeeJim

Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Logicalman

Closing Ceremony wasn't half bad either. Kudos to all the choreographers.