Main Menu

NFR Olympic Medals

Started by sipwell, July 28, 2012, 05:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sipwell

This is what it is all about:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/19036792

Olympics 2012: Niger rower Issaka wins fans' hearts

Niger rower Hammadou Djibo Issaka wins the hearts of GB rowing fans at Eton Dorney as he struggles to the finishing line in his men's single sculls repechage.
Issaka eventually crosses the line, to massive applause, a full minute and 39 seconds after Lithuanian winner Mindaugs Griskonis.
Hammadou reportedly took up rowing just three months ago.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Mr Fulham

Quote from: HatterDon on July 29, 2012, 06:36:43 PM
I'm sick of it and sick of all the nationalism that comes of it. The Olympics were supposed to be about internationalism, and it's not within a mile of that anymore.

That's it! :plus one:

Berserker

I'm with Sipwell on this one, I love it that people cheered the Nigerian, I loved Eddie the Eagle. It's all about having a go in life and trying your best, not about having to win everything. Probably why i support Fulham ; )
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

NogoodBoyo

Don't understand.  Disagree.  Dispute.  Debate.  It would seem to me as if the Olympics and any sport for that matter is about participating, playing AND WINNING, hopefully in style.  The medal table reflects that purely and succinctly.
After all, English football would be a boring old sport without the league tables.  Which we study and debate with great dilligence, excitement, angst, even rancour.  Why should it be different for the Olympics?
Nogood "learning your times tables in Chinese, isit" Boyo

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Mr Fulham on July 29, 2012, 07:48:23 PM
I'm sick of it and sick of all the nationalism that comes of it. The Olympics were supposed to be about internationalism, and it's not within a mile of that anymore.

That's it! :plus one:

Nice, I can get behind that sentiment.

NogoodBoyo

I'm not a fan of chest-thumping, jingoist, badge-kissing nationalism - except when it comes to sport (for some sick reason!).
Nogood "there's Welsh for you, isit" Boyo

Rupert

Ignore the Belgian, please.

The answer is that, when I was a kid, all the local newspapers and television stations were getting us excited because a local athlete was going to Melbourne for the Olympics [yes, I'm very old]. It was inculcated in me that the point of the Olympics was being selected, living in the village, hanging out with athletes of other nations and competing. I've still never lost that.

Medal tables -- at least over here -- foster a totally different concept. Unless you win a medal, you're doing nothing for your country. If you're at or near the top of your particular sport, a SILVER medal is abject failure. In an effort to increase our medal count, we came up with "the dream team" a bunch of NBA superstars who not only beat their opponents for 50 points while showing off, also refused to live in the Olympic Village or to associate with other athletes.

Television over here is ALL about the medal tables. I'm sick of it and sick of all the nationalism that comes of it. The Olympics were supposed to be about internationalism, and it's not within a mile of that anymore.

You see, it is a pity that your lot got so unreasonable about paying import duty on tea all those years ago, as a more level headed people would have remained in the Empire, then the Commonwealth, and would now be elegible for entering the Commonwealth Games.
One sport which has to be in those Games is Lawn Bowls.
Lawn bowlers are fine sportsmen and women and there is definately a lot of skill involved, but it has to be admitted that a gruelling fitness regime does not feature in the weekly round of most of them. So, as soon as they enter the competitors village, they tend to set up a bar and have a party, much to the bemusement (and possibly horror) of the athletes.
Now that, in my opinion, is a very stylish way to represent your country in international competition. I think we should have Lawn Bowls in the Olympics too. Might help the "dream team" types loosen up a bit.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Berserker

Quote from: Rupert on July 30, 2012, 04:45:53 PM

Ignore the Belgian, please.

The answer is that, when I was a kid, all the local newspapers and television stations were getting us excited because a local athlete was going to Melbourne for the Olympics [yes, I'm very old]. It was inculcated in me that the point of the Olympics was being selected, living in the village, hanging out with athletes of other nations and competing. I've still never lost that.

Medal tables -- at least over here -- foster a totally different concept. Unless you win a medal, you're doing nothing for your country. If you're at or near the top of your particular sport, a SILVER medal is abject failure. In an effort to increase our medal count, we came up with "the dream team" a bunch of NBA superstars who not only beat their opponents for 50 points while showing off, also refused to live in the Olympic Village or to associate with other athletes.

Television over here is ALL about the medal tables. I'm sick of it and sick of all the nationalism that comes of it. The Olympics were supposed to be about internationalism, and it's not within a mile of that anymore.

You see, it is a pity that your lot got so unreasonable about paying import duty on tea all those years ago, as a more level headed people would have remained in the Empire, then the Commonwealth, and would now be elegible for entering the Commonwealth Games.
One sport which has to be in those Games is Lawn Bowls.
Lawn bowlers are fine sportsmen and women and there is definately a lot of skill involved, but it has to be admitted that a gruelling fitness regime does not feature in the weekly round of most of them. So, as soon as they enter the competitors village, they tend to set up a bar and have a party, much to the bemusement (and possibly horror) of the athletes.
Now that, in my opinion, is a very stylish way to represent your country in international competition. I think we should have Lawn Bowls in the Olympics too. Might help the "dream team" types loosen up a bit.

My Auntie in law lives next to a Bowls club in Edinburgh, and I can tell you it gets very rowdy
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.