watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Craven Cottage

Started by username, August 01, 2012, 10:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

username

I was wondering exactly how big the ground could grow. If by adding another level to the riverside stand our capacity is raised to 30,000 what would be the next step to increase capacity? May be another level at the Putney End followed by another level at the Hammy End. 40,000 would be a distinct possibility. That would make us a more than self sufficient club. Even in the hay days of football our top crowd was officially 49,000. Would we ever need a ground that big and could we fill it regularly?

Chesh

Honest opinion - no and no....
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

MJG

I think because of the space avalable at the Hammersmith end we would always be stuck with a one tier stand. There is not enough walkway space below it to increase capacity.

The putney end you have more space to go out into the park but somehow I think we have more chance of winning the lge than that ever happening.

The next best shot would be the JH stand, keep the facade but rip out the wooden seating and two tier that. Suspect the listing and problems it would cause by shadow over the streets would be an issue.

So best bet, Putney end if we can get the council to play ball and we end up with maybe 35K at max. Thats a long way down the road, ten years I reckon.

b+w geezer

Much as MJG says, with the minor quibble that (as I once established via an idle half hour with Google Earth etc.) there'd be room at the H. End for a double decker the size of the one opposite the away end at Upton Park. However, in reality that stand holds hardly any extra seats than the current H. End -- the gain would instead be in terms of lounges, hospitality spaces and so on.

As for the notion of extending into Bishops Park, that was the pipedream of one of our former MD's, Jim Hone. I'd also (like MJG) severely doubt that permission would ever be granted, but it would be possible, without necessarily imposing onto the Park at ground level, just via overhang. The height would need to be along the lines of the Riverside extension, for which there is now of course precedent, but still sounds a ho-ho tall order.

Jack Fulham

unless they bring back standing, it will become very difficult to increase capacity beyond 30,000.

Burt

Are we really a club that will attract 40k crowds for every home match? Can't see it myself, only for the big games, and I think that 30k is the natural limit...

MJG

Quote from: Burt on August 01, 2012, 11:43:57 AM
Are we really a club that will attract 40k crowds for every home match? Can't see it myself, only for the big games, and I think that 30k is the natural limit...
I know exactly where your coming from but 15 years ago I thought 15-20 would be the limit, let alone the 25 we get now(even if it is heavly discounted at times).