News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Target Man issue. (Admin, you may want to read!)

Started by Frankie-Peter Taylor, August 02, 2012, 12:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie-Peter Taylor

I've just completed a guest post on fulhamfinest.com and it was with regards to a recent subject on here about Target Men started by Admin, and it inspired me to post an explanation originally intended for this board but it will also by posted on the Fulham blog. Hope you enjoy and feel free to reply!

The subject of a "Target Man" has been spoken about quite regularly when comments are made about the Fulham strikers' line; and I want to question whether the new Dutch style fluid attacking play really requires one. Perhaps the seemingly majority view that a target man is necessary, stems from the ever present position that has been a constant in Fulham sides throughout the years and down to my age, the earliest I can think of is Barry Hayles, then to be Facundo Sava, moving on to American hero Brian McBride and more recently Bobby Zamora and Pavel Pogrebnyak. The most successful of the bunch (arguably) is current QPR striker Bobby Zamora who could link up play very well and who will forget 'that' Europa League campaign in which Zamora as the target man struck an unexpected, yet formidable partnership with Hungarian midfielder Zoltan Gera. One of the positives of a target man is certainly that you can turn defence into attack with one big ball from the back and that was something that Aaron Hughes definitely succeeded in as it was clear to some that at the beginning of Martin Jol's reign that Hughes had little ball playing quality and it has become something that he has improved vastly as he pushed his way back into the starting line up ahead of Philippe Senderos.  This big long ball would be brought down by Zamora with the superb touch he possessed and he would hold the ball up to allow our previously defending midfielders time to get up the pitch, but this isn't the way Martin Jol wants to do it and now with a full summer transfer window in which he can put even more of his own stamp on the squad; he can bring players in that suit his style and that are familiar with the fashionable way that he likes to play.

Dutch Total Football was pioneered by legendary coach from the Netherlands Rinus Michels in the late 60s while he was at the helm at the unbelievable Ajax side that won what is now the Champions League, not once, not twice but three times in a row. The basic idea of "Totaalvoetbal" was that a player who moves out of his position is replaced by another from his team, thus retaining the team's intended organisational structure. Perhaps not done to quite the extent that it would have been done, but it is clear that movement is key and when players like Robin Van Persie, Wesley Sneijder and Arjen Robben were growing up, to watch players like Johan Cruyff and Marco van Basten must have influenced their playing style. A misconstrued and old fashioned view (in my opinion) is that a link up striker must be a big powerful Andy Carroll type build but this isn't necessarily the case. Marco van Basten, can be considered as one of the greatest strikers football or 'soccer' has ever seen, and if not for injury cutting his career short, he would have been a certainty. He led the line for the superb Netherlands side in the 80s which included greats like Ruud Gullit and Ronald Koeman. 

Despite his languid look which actually bares a remarkable resemblance in terms of playing style to current Fulham star Bryan Ruiz; he was technically gifted showing a good first touch, a superb passing ability and a scarily clinical instinct in front goal. Arsenal striker, although perhaps not for much longer, Robin Van Persie also shares the same qualities as Marco van Basten and he was by far and away the best striker in the Premier League last season as he became the first player since Cristiano Ronaldo in 07-08 to score 30 goals solely in the English Premier League. If the style of play suits the striker, he will score goals. If we were to buy a big man, for example, Andy Carroll who could be on his way out of Liverpool, he would have the same result here, as Liverpool. We both like to keep the ball on the floor and we both do not play out and out wingers so crosses are not a consistent ploy for our attacking play. Andy Carroll would suit a Big Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis side which is by no means an offensive comment, because it works. Some people won't like Stoke's style of play, but Chelsea won the Champions League playing the same way and I guess if it pulls off the right results, what's the problem?

New boy Mladen Petric has already shown incredible movement in pre season and I'm not saying he will follow in Robin van Persie and Marco van Basten's footsteps, but he has the movement that was key in the two Dutch striker's goal tallies. Without intending to put pressure on the pair of them, I back both Hugo Rodellega and Mladen Petric's clever movement and interchangeability with the expected three behind them of Bryan Ruiz, Clint Dempsey and Damien Duff to delight crowds at Craven Cottage and hopefully more often away from home this season. As mentioned above, Total Football consists of player interchangeability, another skill that both Petric and Rodellega posses is passing. They can see a pass and thread through a ball to whoever moves into their position, whether it be Bryan Ruiz or Clint Dempsey – who is still a Fulham player by the way!

To summarise, this post was intended to calm to nerves about our striking line up but looked more at explaining as to why Fulham Football Club do not need a target man. I do fully expect to see another striker come into the club and whether it's someone like Jordan Rhodes who is pretty similar to Mladen Petric or someone like Romelu Lukaku who is a quick and powerful striker, doesn't matter to me. If they suit Fulham, I'll take him! Believe in Fulham, believe in Martin Jol. I have a good feeling about the season ahead!

Admin

ffcitaly

great post,it was really a pleasure to read it.

simplyfulham

Yup good post, and to add I completely agree.

What is the stat the Fulham scored the least amount of headed goals last season? (or a stat similar to that I'm sure).

With that stat and the superb research from zonalmarking.com, that showed Fulham play through the middle more than any other club in the league, I doubt our need for a big strong target man.

Petric should become an important piece of the puzzle as I'm sure we will much sooner benefit from a front man with intelligent movement and good feet to play the ball into.

watfordwhite

Really good post, thank you. I hope This will carm the nerves.....
Down side, if we lose both the Dem's it could weaken our attacking midfield. Both players have fantastic movement on and off the ball.
I can't wait for the new season to start.  :scarf:

Andy_M

Can't argue with anything you've said. Great post and a great read!
@got_maile

Burt

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Thanks for your kind words guys! Our style of play for the coming season doesn't merit a big man and although the ability to link up play is needed, it will now be done in a more stylish way with short passing and fluid movement!

Come on you oranjes! Martin Jol's Black & White army!