watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do you think we can pull the same trick twice on the Amercans

Started by MasterHaynes, August 02, 2012, 06:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterHaynes

The American who bought the not so old London Bridge to set up in the desert in the USA he thought he was buying very old Tower Bridge do you think we can do the same with Moussa by selling at a huge fee the young lad we bought with the same name to UTD, ROMA, VILLA or L'pool?

LBNo11

...I like that idea! Problem might be if he scores a goal they'll smell a rat...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

mccscratch

Quote from: MasterHaynes on August 02, 2012, 06:12:19 PM
The American who bought the not so old London Bridge to set up in the desert in the USA he thought he was buying very old Tower Bridge do you think we can do the same with Moussa by selling at a huge fee the young lad we bought with the same name to UTD, ROMA, VILLA or L'pool?

In order to protect the integrity of Mr McCulloch whom purchased the bridge... he certainly knew which one he was purchasing... also you say not so old but it was erected in 1831... which would make it one of the oldest standing bridges in the US...

Also... if you ever want to really have a grand time... go to Lake Havasu for Spring Break... my god the women..

Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

MasterHaynes

' ...........but this was ardently denied by McCulloch himself and by Ivan Luckin, who sold the bridge' well neither of them were going to admit it.

I remember it being the all the talk in the press and on the tube going up to town in the late sixties on who was mad enough to buy a dilapidated bridge and made a very plausible story .

A lot of it dated back to 1830's but around 1900 it was widened by 13 feet and ruined which is why it was sinking and falling apart  20 odd years later and needed to be replaced so a chunk of it was less than 60 years old when he bought it.

A more Fulham related note is that until our very own Putney Bridge was built London Bridge was the only bridge across the Thames in London

jarv

Very interesting fact masterhaynes. So much that I just looked up Putney Bridge....cost over 240,000 quid to build in 1882....that's a LOT of money.

mccscratch

Quote from: MasterHaynes on August 02, 2012, 07:15:21 PM
' ...........but this was ardently denied by McCulloch himself and by Ivan Luckin, who sold the bridge' well neither of them were going to admit it.

I remember it being the all the talk in the press and on the tube going up to town in the late sixties on who was mad enough to buy a dilapidated bridge and made a very plausible story .

A lot of it dated back to 1830's but around 1900 it was widened by 13 feet and ruined which is why it was sinking and falling apart  20 odd years later and needed to be replaced so a chunk of it was less than 60 years old when he bought it.

A more Fulham related note is that until our very own Putney Bridge was built London Bridge was the only bridge across the Thames in London

Neat about the Putney... did not know that.

SP

C'mon mccsratch, give us the full story, wasn't it something about connecting an island McCulloch owned to the mainland & in the process netting him millions in real estate?

mccscratch

Quote from: SP on August 02, 2012, 07:59:15 PM
C'mon mccsratch, give us the full story, wasn't it something about connecting an island McCulloch owned to the mainland & in the process netting him millions in real estate?

from what I understand it was more about providing something that people would want to go see out in the middle of the desert that he swindled from the state of Arizona... he got all the land for free provided he would develop it...

He bought the bridge and chartered a new cargo ship that was made in the UK and was going to travel to the US with no cargo on its maiden voyage... he sailed it to Houston and re-built the bridge in paint by numbers style and made millions as people came and bought plots and invested in his project...

Daxidebs

HatterDon

There was a song a few decades ago about the London Bridge to Lake H. I just tried to find it on Youtube and struck out.

Some of the lines are:

London bridge has fallen down and moved to Arizona

and

step by step they'll take it [something or other] they'll make it

and

put it on a lorry .....

Anybody help me with this? VonBilly has been the best guy to find things like this, but I haven't seen him around for a while.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

YankeeJim

Truth be told, the bridge was erected in the desert and then a ditch was dug under it allowing the water to come underneath and creating an island. Gave the man more waterfront to build on and sell. A week end "at the river" as the City of Lost Angels calls it involves expensive boats turned into lawn chairs situated in the water because no can find a piece of empty water to run on. That, an when the locale residents die and go to hell, they take a blanket because they'll think its cold down there comparatively.

As to the women, to be sure there were some fine ones but the majority are proof that all women should not wear skimpy swim suits or perhaps I wandered into a Michelin convention. Spring break might be different but that's one week out of the year.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

LBNo11

Quote from: HatterDon on August 02, 2012, 09:14:26 PM
There was a song a few decades ago about the London Bridge to Lake H. I just tried to find it on Youtube and struck out.

Some of the lines are:

and

and

put it on a lorry .....

Anybody help me with this? VonBilly has been the best guy to find things like this, but I haven't seen him around for a while.

...this one HD:-

LONDON HOMESICK BLUES LYRICSDavid Allan Coe
Review The Song (0) Send "London Homesick Blues" Ringtone to your Cell

Well when you're down on your luck and you ain't got a buck in London you're a goner
Even London Bridge has fallen down and moved to Arizona
Now I know why and I'll substantiate the rumor that the English sense of humor
Is drier than the Texas sand
You can put up your dukes, you can bet your boots, I'll be leavin' here as fast as I can

Chorus:
I want to go home with the armadillo, country music from Amarillo and Abilene
The friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen

Well it's cold over here Lord I swear I wish they'd turn the heat on
And where in the world is that English girl I promised I would meet on the third floor
And of the whole damn lot the only friend I got is a smoke and a cheap guitar
My EYES keep rollin' and my heart keeps longin' to be home in a Texas bar

I want to go home with the armadillo...(chorus)

Well I decided that I'd get my cowboy hat and go down to Marble Arch Station
when a Texas fancies he'll take his chances
Chances will be taken that's for sure
And them Limey eyes they were eyin' the prize some people call manly footwear
And they said you're from down south and when you open your mouth
Son you always seem to put yout foot there

I want to go home with Armadilla...(chorus)
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

HatterDon

Quote from: LBNo11 on August 02, 2012, 09:18:57 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on August 02, 2012, 09:14:26 PM

Some of the lines are:

and

and

put it on a lorry .....

...this one HD:-

LONDON HOMESICK BLUES LYRICSDavid Allan Coe
Review The Song (0) Send "London Homesick Blues" Ringtone to your Cell

Well when you're down on your luck and you ain't got a buck in London you're a goner
Even London Bridge has fallen down and moved to Arizona
Now I know why and I'll substantiate the rumor that the English sense of humor
Is drier than the Texas sand
You can put up your dukes, you can bet your boots, I'll be leavin' here as fast as I can

Chorus:
I want to go home with the armadillo, country music from Amarillo and Abilene
The friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen

Well it's cold over here Lord I swear I wish they'd turn the heat on
And where in the world is that English girl I promised I would meet on the third floor
And of the whole damn lot the only friend I got is a smoke and a cheap guitar
My EYES keep rollin' and my heart keeps longin' to be home in a Texas bar

I want to go home with the armadillo...(chorus)

Well I decided that I'd get my cowboy hat and go down to Marble Arch Station
when a Texas fancies he'll take his chances
Chances will be taken that's for sure
And them Limey eyes they were eyin' the prize some people call manly footwear
And they said you're from down south and when you open your mouth
Son you always seem to put yout foot there

Not even close, Ed. I know this one well.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel