watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Landon Donovan > Andy Johnson

Started by mccscratch, January 27, 2010, 09:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mccscratch

Sorry but if Roy insists on playing a speedy midget off of Zamora (by speedy I mean us to be at one point in his career, regarding Andy) and on the last shoulder of the defense...then why the heck would Roy not consider Donovan who can link up, create half chances out very little and is a clinical finisher... not to mention likely the same price if not a little less than AJ was and 1 year younger and not a constant sick note...

Sorry just frustrates me that a player is out there who is a measurable upgrade.. looking for a move to the Prem and would likely be a like for like but add so much more... Oh well it looks like Everton will come in during the summer with a bid
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

HatterDon

based on his experiences with McBride, Moyes has a very good reputation with MLS. Roy doesn't have one yet. MLS felt certain they could loan out Donovan and not have Everton screwing with his head the way Milan did with Beckham.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Tktd

To me Donovans form has been impressive but i'm going to give him a bit of time to settle before I judge him as I get the feeling that he'll do what all newly promoted teams do... give it their all to impress seeing as it's the premiership and then slowly but surely fade out due to the demands of Premiership football - he's been playing in the MLS and his fitness levels I can imagine wont last. Plus teams will figure him out they'll figure out how he plays and they'll work to mute him - the first couple of teams are going in blind and are serving as a demonstration to the rest of the league what he's like.

I personally think him being here is bad for the U.S and good for us... He'll be knackered having experienced the rigours of the Premiership and not nly will that fatigue lead into tthe world cup but now Capello has a first hand look at not one (in Dempsey) but two of the U.S's key players.

Not to mention having Altidore here too and Jay Demerit etc etc...

clintclintdeuce

Mate, if theres one league that is as physically demanding as the Prem its MLS. The play is extremely rough, the temperatures of games 20 to 30 degrees more than England on average, average travel times to games measured in days. Landons fitness levels will only increase over the next couple months, as he didnt play a game in 3 months, and came to Everton match fit.

Also, Everton is messing with his head like Milan and Beckham, as Landy is now looking for more than a 3 month loan spell, and looking for a permanent move.
The Dude abides.

HatterDon

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on January 28, 2010, 12:12:25 AM
Mate, if theres one league that is as physically demanding as the Prem its MLS. The play is extremely rough, the temperatures of games 20 to 30 degrees more than England on average, average travel times to games measured in days. Landons fitness levels will only increase over the next couple months, as he didnt play a game in 3 months, and came to Everton match fit.

Also, Everton is messing with his head like Milan and Beckham, as Landy is now looking for more than a 3 month loan spell, and looking for a permanent move.

Word. The pace is slower in MLS because you can't play English pace in Kansas City in July. But MLS is physically demanding, and Donovan -- despite being a short bloke who gets fouled constantly -- is in great shape. What we haven't seen yet in Everton is his quick burst of speed running through the midfield and collecting the ball. When he's at full steam and only has the back line to beat, he's a force. That's not how Moyes is using him, but how Moyes is using him is just great.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

dancrawford

I like Landon Donovan and wish him all the best but this is ridiculous.

Johnson's a proven Premier League performer and has suffered a very serious injury. He's not back to sharpness yet and may never again reach the heights of earlier in his career. That said, he's scored goals in the top flight for a struggling team (Crystal Palace) and two sides that were challenging for European football (Everton and Fulham).

Donovan has played a few games and scored one goal. I don't think he's quick enough to play as a striker in England and he hasn't exactly been setting the continent alight when he's been in Europe. He's signed a new contract with the Galaxy I believe and getting more than a loan deal would have been difficut.

Also, the MLS would have demanded megabucks for their poster boy. Having overpaid for Eddie Johnson, it's entirely possible Fulham wouldn't want to get their fingers burnt again.

clintclintdeuce

Dan, I usually think youre spot on, but this time you are not. At no point in AJs career would he have even been considered by Bayern Munich, no matter the penalties hes scored for Crystal Palace(24 Premiership goals in 100 appearance since his departure from Palace) Also, as for the burned comment, maybe Fulham would feel hard done by the EJ transfer maybe not,  but 3 for 4 isnt too bad all things considered. (McBride, Boca, Clint)

Dononvan over AJ any day of the week IMO.
The Dude abides.