watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dempsey to Roma

Started by Jambo, August 04, 2012, 11:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Dempsey was linked with Roma for the same reason he was linked with Liverpool and [hilariously] Aston Villa. All three clubs have American ownership. Lazy journalism.

This is the only time of the year that I feel sorry for football managers [the ones that actually breathe]. They must have to spend 2/3rds of every "news" conference talking about potential transfers that are never going to happen.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Bassey the warrior

Hopefully no one will stump up the cash. He doesn't strike me as the kind of player to throw his toys out the pram. One more season out of him whilst we groom a replacement would be great. Of course it's now or never for his big move. No one will take him on at 30.

PaulUMD

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on August 05, 2012, 11:20:20 AM
Quote from: PaulUMD on August 05, 2012, 01:59:28 AM
One of the best American sources there is (Greg Selzer, who nailed the Bradley switch amongst others) already said Roma is not in for Demps.  He's said an Italian club is making inquiries but it's not Roma. 

I wonder if it is one of the Milanese clubs?

I think Clint would be a huge hit in Italy, and a club like AC Milan would be perfect for him. If he went to Inter (which I doubt) I would also be happy because they are my Italian team (unfortunately!)

AC Milan or Napoli (after losing Lavezzi) would make the most sense if there is an Italian club involved.  I'm not sure Clint is the type who wants to leave London but Milan would be a great move.  Napoli is good but not sure about their staying power in Serie A. 

As for the English teams, things aren't looking good for him.  Arsenal is certainly done, with Giroud, Podolski, etc. in the fold.  Liverpool seems to be a lot of smoke but no fire.  Not sure who else will go in on him...kinda surprised at the lack of interest.  At this point, wouldn't be surprised if Clint stays and makes them all pay for that.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: HatterDon on August 05, 2012, 03:25:20 PM
Dempsey was linked with Roma for the same reason he was linked with Liverpool and [hilariously] Aston Villa. All three clubs have American ownership. Lazy journalism.

Spot on.

Except that "lazy journalism" has now been re-named "bleacher report journalism".
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

YankeeJim

From a selfish American view, Dempsey to Roma would hook him up with Michael Bradely which would be good for the US Nats. However, it would mean I'd never see them play since I can't stand that overpaid, flopping, whining thing that is Series A. I can't watch it it is so bad. Is it true that they have to remove a pair of something to play in that league?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Terry Angus

Quote from: YankeeJim on August 05, 2012, 05:44:18 PM
From a selfish American view, Dempsey to Roma would hook him up with Michael Bradely which would be good for the US Nats. However, it would mean I'd never see them play since I can't stand that overpaid, flopping, whining thing that is Series A. I can't watch it it is so bad. Is it true that they have to remove a pair of something to play in that league?

try harder, serie A is brilliant. the football is more pure than the premier league. and it surely has the lowest wages of the big 3 club leagues, and they don't remove anything to play--see cassano, gattuso et al.

i miss gazetta footabll italia on tele on saturday mornings!

Mr_Moon

Quote from: Terry Angus on August 05, 2012, 06:32:08 PM

try harder, serie A is brilliant. the football is more pure than the premier league. and it surely has the lowest wages of the big 3 club leagues, and they don't remove anything to play--see cassano, gattuso et al.

It has the lowest wages because the clubs are up sh*t creek and all the talent is going elsewhere now. They're losing television money, sponsorship money and their clubs are becoming ineffective in Europe. Then of course there's another match fixing scandal which is keeping everyone entertained. The fact Destro and his transfer have attracted the most attention in Serie A this summer speaks volumes.

BalDrick

Just wish the pair would hurry up and either extend or leave. It's clear as day, we're waiting on money from them before we do any proper business. Almost past caring where Deuce goes, just go already.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

zzamora

Quote from: HatterDon on August 05, 2012, 03:25:20 PM

This is the only time of the year that I feel sorry for football managers [the ones that actually breathe]. They must have to spend 2/3rds of every "news" conference talking about potential transfers that are never going to happen.

We asked a goal.com journalist on Cottage Talk whether in his opinion the majority of reported transfers are real.

He replied that 90% are simply people joining the dots.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Terry Angus on August 05, 2012, 06:32:08 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on August 05, 2012, 05:44:18 PM

I think that Italy, next to Brazil, produces the finest all around footballers in the world. The problem is the incessant diving and gamemanship.  Naming a few of those fine players as you did does not excuse the wussy ball they play in Italy. It is likely better "football " then the slam bam EPL but I find it unwatchable. You give the game your all & stand up like a man, wining or losing based  on your effort and ability not on how you fool a ref. It's like haggis, if you can stomach it, enjoy. If not, look for something you can. I have.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

AmericanJames

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on August 05, 2012, 01:05:17 PM
Quote from: Berserker on August 05, 2012, 12:51:25 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on August 05, 2012, 12:39:55 PM
Quote from: Berserker on August 05, 2012, 12:14:39 PM
Quote from: Maidstone Lee on August 05, 2012, 12:04:52 PM
Reading the comments at the bottom of the page their fans aren't too keen on Dempsey, would sooner see him off to Roma. Am I right in thinking they have an American owner or chairman as well?

Yes, I think the same one as Liverpool

Thomas DiBenedetto owns Roma. Fenway Sports Group owns Liverpool.

Which other team does Fenway sports own then, I'm sure they own another team? Also is Thomas DiBenedetto American or Italian?

I don't believe they own another big football club. They do own the Boston Red Sox baseball team and Rousch Racing (NASCAR).

DiBenedetto is American.

He's a partner in the Fenway Sports group but his ownership of Roma is held in a separate entity
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

Lighthouse

Held In a seperate entity sounds very spooky.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

HatterDon

If Dempsey goes to AC Milan, he'll be even more stupid than many of you think he is. The experience of Oguchi Onyewu should be enough to guide any American away from Milan. They signed the lad, he had a serious injury on international duty, I don't think he got a single SerieA match the four years he was there. They didn't even loan him out until the third year of his contract. He's at Porto now, but what are usually the most productive years of his career were spent gathering dust.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: HatterDon on August 06, 2012, 01:28:15 AM
If Dempsey goes to AC Milan, he'll be even more stupid than many of you think he is. The experience of Oguchi Onyewu should be enough to guide any American away from Milan. They signed the lad, he had a serious injury on international duty, I don't think he got a single SerieA match the four years he was there. They didn't even loan him out until the third year of his contract. He's at Porto now, but what are usually the most productive years of his career were spent gathering dust.

Onyewu was at Milan for a total of two years (2009-2011), which included a loan spell at Twente in 2011 (so one-and-a-half years at Milan). And he's not at Porto, but plays for Sporting CP.

However, you were indeed right that he didn't make a single appearance due to injury. He missed the whole 2009/10 season and was involved in a training fight with Ibrahimovic in late 2010. He extended his contract at Milan in 2010 by one year - and in fact he didn't want the club to pay a salary during that year.

So all that stuff was not 'BOOOOH Milan' as you seem to conclude, but just an unlucky spell IMHO. Very harsh to give them a bad name for it.

HatterDon

Quote from: Mr Fulham on August 06, 2012, 02:00:28 AM

Onyewu was at Milan for a total of two years (2009-2011), which included a loan spell at Twente in 2011 (so one-and-a-half years at Milan). And he's not at Porto, but plays for Sporting CP.

However, you were indeed right that he didn't make a single appearance due to injury. He missed the whole 2009/10 season and was involved in a training fight with Ibrahimovic in late 2010. He extended his contract at Milan in 2010 by one year - and in fact he didn't want the club to pay a salary during that year.

So all that stuff was not 'BOOOOH Milan' as you seem to conclude, but just an unlucky spell IMHO. Very harsh to give them a bad name for it.

Thanks for the correction, but AC Mafia doesn't need me to give them a bad name. They are easily the most corrupt organization in Western Europe from the top down, and anyone who follows Italian politics, journalism, or football would find that hard to disagree with.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: HatterDon on August 06, 2012, 04:21:41 AM

Thanks for the correction, but AC Mafia doesn't need me to give them a bad name. They are easily the most corrupt organization in Western Europe from the top down, and anyone who follows Italian politics, journalism, or football would find that hard to disagree with.

Whilst I don't have any time for Mr.Berlusconi and his assorted chums, I genuinely think it would be a good move for Clint. I dont think the Oguchi move is a good example not only because Clint is playing on another level, but also because defenders in Italy are expected to be perfect to a greater extent than any other league.

Clint would be great in Italy because he is smart enough to play the Italian game, but has the drive to really excel.

Also - I met Onyewu in The Ship in Wandsworth at the end of last season, he was over on holiday having been injured playing for Sporting. Nice chap, had a good 10 minute chat with him about his career and bad luck with injuries.

epsomraver

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on August 06, 2012, 09:06:25 AM

Whilst I don't have any time for Mr.Berlusconi and his assorted chums, I genuinely think it would be a good move for Clint. I dont think the Oguchi move is a good example not only because Clint is playing on another level, but also because defenders in Italy are expected to be perfect to a greater extent than any other league.

Clint would be great in Italy because he is smart enough to play the Italian game, but has the drive to really excel.

Also - I met Onyewu in The Ship in Wandsworth at the end of last season, he was over on holiday having been injured playing for Sporting. Nice chap, had a good 10 minute chat with him about his career and bad luck with injuries.

amazing how so many football stars get in a crap pub at the back of the old Wandsworth Bus Garage when you are there as well?

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: epsomraver on August 06, 2012, 09:33:15 AM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on August 06, 2012, 09:06:25 AM

amazing how so many football stars get in a crap pub at the back of the old Wandsworth Bus Garage when you are there as well?

Not really. I have met one footballer there, Onyewu. Hardly a name I would drag out to impress everyone is it?

I'm not a huge fan of The Ship, but footballers do seem to frequent it. Here is our very own Phillipe Senderos (from Twitter):

LRCN

dempsey would fit in incredible well at milan, a dynamic, counter attacking, hard working team.

cmg

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on August 06, 2012, 09:57:15 AM

At least we now know how he got injured (see thread above). Fell down those stairs after od'ing on cappuccino. Serve him right for drinking coffee in a pub.