more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (06/08/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 06, 2012, 03:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

In Good Shape

Playmaker Mousa Dembele believes Fulham's five-day high-altitude training camp has whipped the Team into shape and they proved his point in the resounding win against OGC Nice on Saturday.

Martin Jol's squad spent last week training 4,000 feet above sea level in Crans-Montana, high in the Swiss Alps, and endured regular long-distance bicycle rides to improve their fitness and stamina.

The camp was concluded with a trip to the Cote d'Azur in the South of France, where Nice were put to the sword 4-0, with Mladen Petric, Alex Kacaniklic, Mahamadou Diarra and Mesca scoring.

And Belgian international Dembele – who pulled the strings in midfield at the Stade Municipal du Ray - added the result was the perfect way to sign off a productive week of hard graft.

"It was very intense in Switzerland; we worked very hard and the air was thinner and more difficult to breathe so it made training tough," Dembele revealed to fulhamfc.com.

"That makes me even happier that we finished with a win because when everyone was worked hard, and we travelled as well then played a team who want to pass the ball quickly.

"But we did it, and 4-0 was a very good score against a team like that.

"It was quite warm in France as well but we played well as a team and that makes it easier when you keep the ball as a team.

"Everybody was tired after a good week of training so, to play like that, makes it even better because everybody played very well and we got the result that proves how well we are progressing."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/August/DembeleNice.aspx?

WhiteJC

Dickson Etuhu Leaves

From the official:

The Club can confirm that Dickson Etuhu has joined Blackburn Rovers on a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

Dickson made over 125 appearances for the Whites since joining four years ago and played an integral role in our 2009/10 Europa League campaign.

Since replacing Jimmy Bullard on Boxing Day in 2008, Etuhu was a fixture in the lineup until this past season. In 2008-09, he started every single match from Boxing Day onward, bar one. He scored one goal, which coincidentally was one of the two matches I've ever been to.

Even though he was greatly involved in our Europa League run, he still played more league minutes that he did last season. In the league he started 14 matches and subbed in 6 times. He did not play in the first few Europa League Group Stage matches, but would ultimately make a massive impact in the later rounds: his goal at Juventus would prove vital in the setup for what is arguably the most memorable match in the club's history. Yet, I had completely forgotten he scored that until twitter reminded me. Shame on me.

Under Mark Hughes Etuhu started 23 matches, and was a substitute five times (with four coming in the last five matches). He played in 57% of the league minutes, scoring twice in the league and one in the FA Cup.

But things changed last season. Etuhu was struggling for a starting position. He started just nine games in 2011-12, none after February 4, and was a substitue for just 13 matches totaling just 26% of the overall league minutes. When Jol dropped Dembele into the center of midfield, it was the beginning of the end. Dembele thrived in that free role at the center of the park and elevated his game to a new level. Etuhu would muster just 74 total minutes of playing time in the final 14 matches (that's an average of about five per).

It may be easy to simply point out Etuhu didn't fit into Jol's plans, and so he had to move on. But that's only telling half the story. Etuhu signed a four year extension in September 2010. He is currently 30 and still had two years left on that deal. Although additional financials aren't revealed, those facts alone are a bit worrying. He's a good player, but a four year deal was too much. It was simply time to annul.

He will be missed.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/08/05/dickson-etuhu-leaves/?

WhiteJC

Nice stroll for Fulham

Few would have expected Fulham's pre-season friendly in Nice to be quite as easy as it proved to be in the end with the club literally strolling to victory at the Stade Municipal du Ray.

Mladen Petric's fine goalscoring form continued as he opened the scoring in the first half and then just before the break he set up Alex Kacaniklic to increase this lead.

Petric was again the provider for Mahamadou Diarra to score a rare goal to further extend the lead with young talent Mesca wrapping up a 4-0 win 10-minutes from time.

Pre-season is pre-season, results count for little (positive or negative) when the season gets underway but a win, and such an impressive one will certainly help.

The gruelling pre-season programme in the Swiss Alps has definitely paid off with the fitness levels very high!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=289115#ixzz22mA42DaH

WhiteJC

Classy on the continent
by DAN on AUGUST 5, 2012

Perhaps it's the fact that I wasn't there or that the a weekend on the Côte d'Azurs till sounds supremely exotic to me. Maybe it's the memories of how a French revolution transformed Fulham from a plodding mid-table team to one that stormed to the Premiership promised land in ten months during my teenage years. I can't blame it on alcohol, as I can't drink at the moment, but watching the way Fulham completely dismantled Claude Puel's Nice, who begin their Ligue 1 campaign next weekend, last night filled me with the sort of excitement Charlie found in the chocalate factory.

It's only pre-season and there's an important rider to attach here. However good Fulham – and particularly Mladen Petric – have looked these summer, there are no points awarded until August 18th. The excitement of early season can soon dissipate should results leave you looking anxiously over your shoulder or a key player – like Brian McBride in 2007 – be lost to injury. But there's definitely something building on the banks of the Thames that we've not seen since the Damiano, Propos and Tigana era.

Here's what a candid Martin Jol told the July edition of Fultime about changing the pattern of play in his first year at Craven Cottage:

When I came in I knew that despite being a stylish club, at the same time we were perhaps a bit too conservative. We played in an old fashioned English way, but we had had success with that. But that wasn't a system that I was used to. I wanted the team to become more adventurous in its approach. It was something that took a bit of time to implement too, because every time we suffered a bad resuylt or looked a bit indifferent you could sense a doubt or concern. In all honesty, the players found it tough and that was the biggest challenge – to convince them to play in a different way. I understand that, and it is something that takes time. But as I always say, 'Rome wasn't built in a day'.

People are notoriously resistant to change. As Russ Goldman has outlined here before, Jol's tweaks to what seemed a successful side appeared initially like unecessary meddling with a winning formula. Except the innate conservatism of Roy Hodgson's side worked whilst teams underestimated Fulham but an ageing side seemed far more predictable three years down the line. A new broom has swept away some old favourites, but Mark Hughes was similarly ruthless in sidelining both John Pantsil and Zoltan Gera.

Bryan Ruiz looks ready to revel in the Premier League spotlight

The change of system offers an air of the unexpected. Bryan Ruiz seems a shy, sensitive type but he's a ridiculously gifted footballer. Remember those effortless dinks over the goalkeeper against Everton and Bolton that produced gapsps of wonderment? He's barely been fit during his year at the club and with a full pre-season behind him as well as operating in the classical number ten position behind Petric he looks like he's ready to leave an indellible mark on English football. His free-kick against Wycombe the other week was magnificent and effortless at the same time.

Petric's potency and playmaking ability have perked up Fulham's forward line

Petric seems a canny replacement for Pogrebnyak, who we didn't pay a transfer fee for either. He's been there and done it right across Europe in a variety of positions but we knew he could find the goal spectacularly before he pulled on a Fulham shirt. He's proved it with five in five. I thought his opener at Adams' Park was special, until the overhead kick – eeirly reminscient of Zoltan Gera's effort which finished off Manchester United a few years back – in Nice. Petric is more than a scorer of spectacular goals – he's a playmaker too. Take a look at the sublime through ball that released Alex Kacaniklic for the second on the stroke of half time or the impudent backheel which Mahamadou Diarra lashed home after the break.

Diarra's decision to make his stay at the Cottage permanent probably hastened the departures of both Murphy and Dickson Etuhu. The Malian has some CV and, even as he was returning to full match sharpness, he offered tantalising glimpses of his class towards the tail end of last season. Classy on the ball and strong in the tackle you could see why Real Madrid thought he might be able to take over from Claude Makele. If Diarra stays fit and can be paired alongside Mousa Dembele, then that's a midfield partnership with the potential to leave the pundits purring.

But perhaps the most exciting element of Jol's vision for Fulham is the emergence of the youngsters. Kerim Frei dazzled at Kingstonian when he wasn't really much beyond second gear and he's clearly been working on his strength and conditioning during the close season. Whilst everyone was raving about Frei's impact last season, the Motspur Park talent developers were taking note of Alex Kacaniklic's progress. The Swede has shown just why Malcolm Elias was so keen to bring him down south from Melwood and both his crossing and confident finish in France underscored his further progression since that impressive introduction to the first team after his loan spell at Watford last season.

Then there's Mesca, the one Chelsea let go far too soon. The 19 year-old from Guinea-Bisseau scored two and made three more as he stepped up to reserve team level last season but he's got all the attributes to follow Frei and Kacaniklic into the first team on a regular basis. Pace, trickery and confidence are there as is a cool head in front of goal. The joy that his goal, just two minutes after replacing Damien Duff in France, brought was contagious. It's taken hold of this correspondent – and let's hope the rest of the Fulham faithful are feeling as optimistic after three months of the real thing.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/08/classy-on-the-continent/?

WhiteJC

Dickson's gone

I wanted to add to Tim's post on Dickson because he's been one of my favourite players for a while.

One thing to mention here is Danny Murphy. Murphy's gone to Blackburn in a position of some influence (we assume), and the first thing he's done is call on his old hunting partner. Now, if, as many people like to think, Dickson Etuhu is no good at football, who would be best placed to appreciate this? Danny Murphy played next to the man for a good time. If Etuhu was as bad as people liked to make out, if Murphy was 'carrying' Etuhu or somehow despaired of his contribution to the football team, well he wouldn't be dragging him up to Blackburn would he?

This essentially settles the argument for me. Dickson was a very important part of our best ever team, for reasons I've argued left right and centre all over the interwebs.

He didn't do much last year but having him on the end of the "Dickson, what's the score?' chants was absolutely priceless, his sly grin and eager show of fingers bringing a smile to everyone's face (he always makes me laugh in his interviews, too. Seems like a good lad).

So yes, we'll miss you, Dickson. He and Murphy are going to be pretty impressive next season and will instantly make their team much better.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/08/05/dicksons-gone/?

WhiteJC

Kean confirms Rhodes bid
Rovers enter race for prolific striker

Jordan Rhodes: Subject of interest from Blackburn and Fulham

Blackburn Rovers boss Steve Kean has confirmed he has tabled a bid for Huddersfield Town striker Jordan Rhodes.

Rhodes is one of the hottest properties in this summer's transfer window with a number of clubs chasing his signature.

Rhodes has scored 85 goals in 127 starts for Huddersfield and the Championship new boys are facing a fight to keep hold of their prize asset.

Fulham have already had one offer rejected for the Scotland international and now Blackburn have firmed up their interest with a bid for Rhodes.

Blackburn are in the market for striking reinforcements after seeing summer arrival Leon Bestsidelined with a serious knee injury and Kean has admitted they have bid for Rhodes and that they are chasing other targets.

"I can confirm that we have a bid in for Rhodes, and are also interested in other players," Kean told ESPN.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11676/7967650?

WhiteJC

A Special Moment

Fulham's unbeaten pre-season run continued on Saturday with a slick four goal victory over OGC Nice on the Côte d'Azur.

Mladen Petric grabbed his fifth friendly goal, before Alex Kacaniklic and Mahamadou Diarra put Martin Jol's side in complete control of the tie, with Mesca Na Bangna adding some gloss to the scoreline within two minutes of his introduction as a substitute.

The young winger has featured in every one of our pre-season matches to date and has been a menace to each full-back he has faced. Always full of attacking intent, Mesca was delighted to net his first goal for the Whites at the weekend and he hopes it is the first of many to come.

"It was a very special moment for me," he told fulhamfc.com "Because when I came on I was thinking that the Manager had said to me that I should go for goal and think about trying to score.

"Today it was a big moment for me to score. It was a good run and a good finish and I want to keep going and do it some more.

"I didn't have much time and it was the first time I received the ball - I was looking across the line and the defender was in the middle. I felt that I had good space to run into and I hit it well."

The 2011/12 campaign was a prosperous one indeed for young wingers at Fulham, with Kerim Frei and Kacaniklic impressing after making their debuts for the Club, and Mesca is keen to seize any opportunities that come his way this season.

"I'm trying to get more goals and scoring on Saturday makes me want to do it again," he explained. "I want to score more and if I get a chance it will be a good season for me.

"It was another great experience for me going away to Switzerland. I think I'm doing everything well and training well so I'll keep going and if I get more opportunities to play I will be very happy."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/August/ASpecialMoment.aspx?

WhiteJC

Jol tips Fulham youngster for bright future

Mesca

MARTIN Jol has predicted a bright future for young gun Buomesca Tue Na Banga – but doesn't want to pile too much pressure on the talented teenager.

The wing wizard was a big hit in the club's U18 side last season and has been training with the first-team during pre-season.

'Mesca' shone in the win at Wycombe Wanderers last month and was on the scoresheet against Nice at the weekend.

And boss Jul is predicting big things for the 19-year-old, but insists he's one for the future.

He said: "Mesca joined us last year from Chelsea. I believed in him and we gave him a contract.

"He started with the development squad but has trained with us quite a few times.

"He's exciting, but don't expect too much from him because he's 19 and a terrific talent."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/08/06/82029-31559895/?#ixzz22mBwKq52

WhiteJC

Liverpool set £10m cap on TARGET.

Monday, August 06, 2012 - Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has set a £10m cap on Fulham midfielder Clint Dempsey who has emerged as a potential transfer target.

Brendan Rodgers is a huge fan of the American forward and wants to bring him to Anfield, but he is not impressed by the £10million price tag Fulham have slapped on him.

Dempsey's move to Anfield seemed have edged closer when he was omitted from Martin Jol's squad at the Swiss training camp.

The attacking midfielder, who scored 17 Premier League goals last season and 23 in all competitions, has rejected the Cottager's offer of a new three year-contract opting to seek a new challenge.

Dempsey, who joined the London based club five-and-a-half years ago, believes that it could be the last opportunity he gets to play for one of the elite Premier League clubs.

Rodgers is keen to bring a new dimension in the Liverpool attack after revealing that he could let out of favour England striker Andy Carroll go out on loan with West Ham and Newcastle both interested.

The former Swansea tactician has outlined his desire to introduce an attacking brand of football at Anfield and the 29-year old American is a perfect fit in his preferred 4-3-3 formation.

Liverpool have also been linked to Swansea City midfielder Joe Allen and Bologna play maker Gaston Ramirez.

However, the ex-Swansea boss can be more confident of landing Joe Allen from his former club after Liverpool's owners the Fenway Sports Group gave the green light to a £15million bid.

http://www.kenyan-post.com/2012/08/liverpool-set-10m-cap-on-target.html?

WhiteJC

Liverpool Look Set To Miss Out On Forward Target

Liverpool are reportedly set to miss out on forward target Clint Dempsey, after the Merseysiders refused to match the £10 million price tag Fulham have slapped on him.

Dempsey, who has been linked with the Reds for a number of months, looked to be nearing a move, with boss Brendan Rodgers indicating that the American international was one of his highest priorities.

However, as reported by the Metro, the move now appears to be in tatters, with Fulham demanding that Liverpool pay £10 million for the 29 year-old, a fee Liverpool bosses see as excessive.

Dempsey was one of the Premier League's top performers last season, bagging an impressive 17 league goals for Fulham.

His performances alerted some of Europe's biggest clubs, with Italian giants Roma, believed to also be interested in him.

With Liverpool likely to back out of the deal now, it looks like Dempsey could be on his way to Italy, with the Metro continuing by claiming that Roma will be willing to spent around £12 million to capture his signature.

http://sportsvibe.co.uk/news/football/liverpool-look-set-to-miss-out-on-forward-target-19012/?

WhiteJC

Fulham sign Moussa Dembele to possibly replace Moussa Dembele
Fulham may have figured out who they'll replace star man Moussa Dembele with - a 16-year-old French striker from PSG, also called Moussa Dembele.

Old Moussa Dembele (Picture: Getty)

New Moussa Dembele (Picture: Getty)

The Belgian attacker has been linked with a move away from the Cottagers all summer, with Manchester United and Real Madrid rumoured to be interested.

But if he does depart, Fulham supporters may not need to throw away or replace their Dembele shirts - as the west London team have a namesake waiting in the wings.

However, the purchase of the younger Dembele is not a cunning plan to save on merchandising costs - the Frenchman is actually a talented footballer and has already been compared to Arsenal legend Thierry Henry.

The fledgling star will cost Fulham a maximum of £284,000, according to reports, and is a France youth international.

A factor in his decision to move could be the huge spending taking place at Ligue 1 side PSG, with strikers Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Ezequiel Lavezzi already signed in the close season.

One concern though - some older fans may be a bit taken aback when Dembele steps out for the new season, having had his hair changed, got a rounder face, regressed nine years, and lost a bit of weight.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/907288-fulham-sign-moussa-dembele-to-possibly-replace-moussa-dembele#ixzz22mD3XrIu

WhiteJC

Lens eye Halliche swoop
Defender has failed to make an impact in two years at Fulham

Rafik Halliche: The powerful Algerian centre-back could be on his way out of Fulham

Rafik Halliche could be on his way out of Fulham if French side Lens can come up with the reported asking price of €500,000 (£398,000).

The Algeria international, who was signed from Benfica in 2010 for £2.5million, has made just two substitute appearances in his time at Craven Cottage.

The 25-year-old joined SPL champions Celtic on trial last December but failed to earn a loan move and returned to Fulham.
Although he was included in the pre-season tour to Germany, Halliche is unlikely to feature in boss Martin Jol's plans this term as he has plenty of cover in defence.

Now the talented centre-back could be heading across the Channel in a bid to get his career back on track with some first-team football.

"I am doing my pre-season," he said. "To be honest I want to play week-in week-out this season either at Fulham or somewhere else."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7968346?

WhiteJC

Dons face Cottagers

Milton Keynes Dons face their second Premier League test in four days when they take on Fulham at stadiummk tomorrow (Tuesday).

Having fought out a goalless draw with Norwich City on Friday, Karl Robinson's side will now take on a Cottagers side that finished runners-up in the Europa League only two years ago.

Manager Martin Jol is expected to bring a strong squad to MK1 and will not take the challenge of facing the Dons lightly, fully aware of the impressive record the home side have against Premier League opposition.

The match will provide another opportunity for boss Robinson to give minutes to more of his squad ahead of the Capital One Cup tie with Cheltenham Town on Saturday and supporters a second chance to see the team at stadiummk before the League One opener with Oldham Athletic.

Tickets are still available for this fixture and are priced at £12 for adults, £8 for concessions and £3 for Under 18s.

Supporters can also purchase a Family 3 ticket (One adult and two children) for £15 or a Family 4 ticket (Two adults and two children) for £27.

Fans can upgrade to clubred for a £5 premium and tickets are available to purchase on the day of the game.

Gold and Platinum season ticket holders for 2012/13 will get their tickets included in their package, but will have to purchase food.

To purchase tickets please visit the Box Office at stadiummk or thecentre:mk or call 01908 622900.

http://www.mkdons.com//news/article/dons-face-cottagers-294809.aspx?

HatterDon

Quote from: WhiteJC on August 06, 2012, 03:35:43 PM

Dons face Cottagers

Milton Keynes Dons face their second Premier League test in four days when they take on Fulham at stadiummk tomorrow (Tuesday).

Having fought out a goalless draw with Norwich City on Friday, Karl Robinson's side will now take on a Cottagers side that finished runners-up in the Europa League only two years ago.

Manager Martin Jol is expected to bring a strong squad to MK1 and will not take the challenge of facing the Dons lightly, fully aware of the impressive record the home side have against Premier League opposition.

The match will provide another opportunity for boss Robinson to give minutes to more of his squad ahead of the Capital One Cup tie with Cheltenham Town on Saturday and supporters a second chance to see the team at stadiummk before the League One opener with Oldham Athletic.

Tickets are still available for this fixture and are priced at £12 for adults, £8 for concessions and £3 for Under 18s.

Supporters can also purchase a Family 3 ticket (One adult and two children) for £15 or a Family 4 ticket (Two adults and two children) for £27.

Fans can upgrade to clubred for a £5 premium and tickets are available to purchase on the day of the game.

Gold and Platinum season ticket holders for 2012/13 will get their tickets included in their package, but will have to purchase food.

To purchase tickets please visit the Box Office at stadiummk or thecentre:mk or call 01908 622900.

http://www.mkdons.com//news/article/dons-face-cottagers-294809.aspx?

I guess they didn't feel the need to tell their supporters what time kickoff is.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel