News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dempsey Ordered to Train Alone?? WTF?????

Started by LordNelson, August 08, 2012, 04:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordNelson

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/08/07/3291988/dempsey-ordered-to-train-alone-as-liverpool-move-stalls?source=breakingnews

Surely this can't be true.   :bang head:

Dempsey ordered to train alone as Liverpool move stalls
Wantaway midfielder will be kept separate from the first-team squad as his future remains up in the air, but the Merseysiders are undecided about making a move for the American

EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Clint Dempsey has been ordered to train on his own by Fulham as his dream move to Liverpool stands on the brink of collapse, Goal.com can reveal.

Dempsey has been told by manager Martin Jol to stay away from the first-team squad while he awaits developments on the transfer front.

As revealed by Goal.com last week, the USA international was left behind to train with the youth team in London after pulling out of the club's pre-season training camp in Switzerland.

But Dempsey's hopes of Liverpool following up their enquiries for him with a concrete bid have failed to materialise and the midfielder has been left in limbo by the Merseysiders.

The 29-year-old has made it clear to Jol and senior Fulham figures that he wants to quit the club for Liverpool, whose manager Brendan Rodgers has admitted that he has made enquiries about signing the player.

"Liverpool are now undecided whether they think the Dempsey move is right," a source told Goal.com. "There is some doubt whether, at his age, he can deliver the consistency of performance for the next few years."

It is understood that Dempsey, who is fully fit and not carrying an injury, took part in a number of sessions with the youth team at Fulham's Motspur Park training base at the start of last week before being told to train on his own.

The senior squad has now returned to London and Dempsey will be kept apart from the first teamers in the build-up to the new Premier League season.

Insiders have told Goal.com that Dempsey is not expected to figure in Jol's plans for the curtain-raiser at home to Norwich City on Saturday week, or at any point until the transfer window closes.

Jol will pick a young team for the pre-season friendly at MK Dons on Tuesday night but is set to select a full-strength team against Charlton Athletic minus Dempsey, and that will give a strong indication of his starting XI for the Norwich match.

Dempsey told Jol 11 days ago that he did not want to take part in the Switzerland trip, which led to a heated debate between the player and manager at the training ground. 

As revealed by Goal.com last month, the attacking midfielder, who scored 17 Premier League goals last season and 23 in all competitions, has rejected Fulham's offer of a new three year-contract that includes an option for a fourth year.

Dempsey, who moved to west London five-and-a-half years ago, believes that Liverpool's interest could be the last opportunity he gets to play for one of the elite Premier League clubs.

Fulham value Dempsey at £9 million but a combination of his age – 29 – and his contract situation – he has just entered the final year of his current deal – mean that they will settle for a fee of around £5-6m.

The Londoners do not want to lose their free-scoring midfielder but also will do their best to avoid a protracted saga, so they have enough time to bring in a replacement.

"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

FFC1987

I'd take whatever this goober has to say very lightly. He reported last week that Clint was sent home from the tour we were having after a bust up then corrected himself saying was left home prior to a bust up. The guy is a closet Pool fan and wants to create a fuss and wishes his club to sign our man. Regardless if he goes, I think it will be on good terms.

SKSW6

Admin

I wouldn't read too much into this. This is Goal's beefed up version of Dempsey being left behind from the Swiss tour to train with the youth/reserve team.

Patterson

I fear this is what may happen as more North American players excel at the highest levels.  Because "we" don't know too much about the history and importance of the so-called smaller clubs, there is an unnatural focus ono the prestige teams like Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and so on.  It's a certain narrow-mindedness that I hope to see fade away a bit and that more Americans and Canadians pick interesting teams to follow and don't just hop on a bandwagon team and not have much if any reason to follow.  I'm not sure people see how Clint could be better ff at Fulham.  Is he better off here or a "big club"?  I can't say as I haven't seen him with anyone other than Fulham...

That very narrow view of the sport really infuriates me and to a certain degree, causes embarrassment.  Some of us enjoy the sport itself and look to love every aspect of the game (even if at just the highest levels) and learn more names than simply Rooney or Van Persie.

Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant, but the more "news" I see about Clint that reeks of manipulation, the more I realize that the game escapes most of us and that we may never "get it".
A Canadian supporting Fulham...wait...what?!

mccscratch

Quote from: Patterson on August 08, 2012, 10:57:20 PM
I fear this is what may happen as more North American players excel at the highest levels.  Because "we" don't know too much about the history and importance of the so-called smaller clubs, there is an unnatural focus ono the prestige teams like Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and so on.  It's a certain narrow-mindedness that I hope to see fade away a bit and that more Americans and Canadians pick interesting teams to follow and don't just hop on a bandwagon team and not have much if any reason to follow.  I'm not sure people see how Clint could be better ff at Fulham.  Is he better off here or a "big club"?  I can't say as I haven't seen him with anyone other than Fulham...

That very narrow view of the sport really infuriates me and to a certain degree, causes embarrassment.  Some of us enjoy the sport itself and look to love every aspect of the game (even if at just the highest levels) and learn more names than simply Rooney or Van Persie.

Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant, but the more "news" I see about Clint that reeks of manipulation, the more I realize that the game escapes most of us and that we may never "get it".

This....

My sentiments exactly... even friends that I somewhat respect and think understand the game still support one of the big teams..

I have one exception... a friend that got into football through me and now supports Arsenal, not because of any star but because of the attractive way they played... and how Wenger handles transfers
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

Patterson

Quote from: mccscratch on August 08, 2012, 11:11:08 PM
Quote from: Patterson on August 08, 2012, 10:57:20 PM
I fear this is what may happen as more North American players excel at the highest levels.  Because "we" don't know too much about the history and importance of the so-called smaller clubs, there is an unnatural focus ono the prestige teams like Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and so on.  It's a certain narrow-mindedness that I hope to see fade away a bit and that more Americans and Canadians pick interesting teams to follow and don't just hop on a bandwagon team and not have much if any reason to follow.  I'm not sure people see how Clint could be better ff at Fulham.  Is he better off here or a "big club"?  I can't say as I haven't seen him with anyone other than Fulham...

That very narrow view of the sport really infuriates me and to a certain degree, causes embarrassment.  Some of us enjoy the sport itself and look to love every aspect of the game (even if at just the highest levels) and learn more names than simply Rooney or Van Persie.

This....

My sentiments exactly... even friends that I somewhat respect and think understand the game still support one of the big teams..

I have one exception... a friend that got into football through me and now supports Arsenal, not because of any star but because of the attractive way they played... and how Wenger handles transfers

To my friends who are/were interested in following footy, I recommend two things:

1-  Follow the Prem.
2-  If you pick one of the big teams, pick Arsenal.

For the second point, it's simple.  Yes they are a prestige team.  Yes, they have money.  Yep, they got big name players...but the difference is that they don't seem to waste their money like some of the other biggies.  Man U are to be respected for this too, but Arsenal are moreso likely to build with youth and not pay over for big-name players.  I don't think they would EVER make a mistake like Liverpool did with Carroll.

That being said, I recommend they take a look outside the big 5-6 and pick a team that is both likeable and means something to them in some way or another.  I think many savy American football fans chose Fulham for the fact that they weren't afraid of American (in my case Canadian) players.  That coupled with the fact that they COULD LOSE ANY GAME!  That makes it exciting!  There's a reason to cheer wins instead of simply expecting a win every run out.  I've followed this team from the Great Escape and watched them reach a Europa League finals 2 seasons later.  It just doesn't get any involving or interesting than that.  I'm now a fan for life and couldn't be happier with my decision to follow this club.
A Canadian supporting Fulham...wait...what?!

Mr_Moon

The idea of the club making Dempsey train alone is laughable. Either we sell him or we do our best to extend his contract. If by chance we reject bids for him, then we've made him train alone and gradually dislike Jol and the club to the point he'd leave on a bosman. Which doesn't benefit the club in any way, shape or form.

Stupid story.