more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (09/08/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 09, 2012, 04:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jol eyes midfield enforcements

Fulham boss Martin Jol admits he is eager to strengthen before the new campaign, with midfield additions his top priority.
Jol has captured free agents Hugo Rodallega and Mladen Petric to date this summer, as well as sealing a loan deal for Sascha Riether from German side Koln, but the Cottagers have not spent any money on transfer fees to date.

The Dutchman admits he is prepared to splash out on "two or three" players this summer, with midfield in particular an area he would like to strengthen.

Jol is also keen to bolster his attacking options, despite the arrivals of Rodallega and Petric, after seeing Orlando Sa, Bobby Zamora, Pavel Pogrebnyak and Andy Johnson depart.

"If everything stays as it is I am pretty satisfied, and we are still working to get two or three players in," Jol told Sky Sports News.

"It depends on what happens. You've heard all the rumours about the big players, our good players, so hopefully they will stay. We want them to stay, that is important."

"You saw Danny Murphy go. I wanted him to stay but he went to Blackburn, they offered him a two-year deal.

"Then Dickson [Etuhu], he wanted to play games and was asking me for the last couple of months, so we had to let him go as well.

"We need at least a midfield player, in the midfield area."

He added: "Up front, we lost four strikers - Orlando Sa went, Bobby Zamora, the Pog [Pavel Pogrebnyak], Andy Johnson went.

"We have got two, Rodallega and Petric, so at least we need one or two strikers as well."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/Fulham/Jol-eyes-midfield-enforcements-1452057.html?#.UCMu2EK_wds

WhiteJC

Sidwell's Assessment

Fulham extended their unbeaten pre-season run courtesy of a debut goal from Hugo Rodallega against MK Dons on Tuesday night.

The late strike proved enough to seal a 1-0 victory for the Whites and combative midfielder Steve Sidwell was pleased with how things went at Stadium MK.

"It's another win and we're still unbeaten", he told fulhamfc.com. "Obviously we knew it was going to be a tough game because MK Dons are a good footballing team so we knew what to expect. But we hung in there and got the result, which is the main thing.

"It wasn't the most consistent starting XI you've ever seen, there were a lot of changes in the side but the boys played well in a different formation and we stuck together. We rode our luck at times, got away with the penalty and got the win."

Sidwell was also impressed with new striker Rodallega, who got off to a flying start in Fulham colours and capped off an impressive performance with a goal.

"You can see from some of his runs that if you spot him and give him the ball, he can create chances and score goals," Steve said.

"Hopefully he's going to settle in very quickly. You could probably say we were a bit light up front before pre-season but with the players we have now it's not a problem.

"Petric has scored five times in the friendlies and then Hugo's come in today and scored as well.

"Now it's up to the rest of us to chip in with goals."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/August/SidwellDonsReaction.aspx?

WhiteJC

Chelsea's striker Lukaku will not be joining Fulham as per his agent Christophe Henrotay

Lukaku's agent Christophe Henrotay has today told French press that Lukaku will definitely not be joining Fulham but will be joining another unnamed Premier League club on loan.

He advised "I can assure you that Lukaku will not go to Fulham. I'm currently finalising a loan deal to another Premier League team. I cannot say where or when until this is finalised but negotiations are going well so far".

He went on to say "there were talks between Chelsea and Fulham but we talked to a lot of clubs but the journalists didn't even contact me to check if the information they printed was true".

Martin Jol yesterday confirmed we're still looking at bringing in another striker and with this deal seamingly dead and the Rhodes deal not appearing to progress, I wonder who we have in mind?

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/8/8/3227763/chelseas-striker-lukaku-will-not-be-joining-fulham-as-per-his-agent?

WhiteJC

It's August Already?!
by LORK on AUGUST 8, 2012

So I haven't posted any sort of analytical article since the Everton away game, for which I must apologise. It's not great on my part. However I have been busy so, eh, and you might have heard me every so often on Cottage Talk. But enough of this vain introduction.

A lot has happened since. Here is a collection of short thoughts on our end of season and summer so far. And we start the season in a week and a half...?!

DON'T PANIC. We haven't spent millions so far, but our transfer business has been really quite clever so far and we do have money to spend. We are just choosing not to spend it.

We got the extension on the Cottage. About time, but great news for the future for the club, you can't understate the potential impact this could have on sustaining our current position.

9th. Sweet finish. Irritating we didn't finish above Liverpool but 9th is a great position in this context and shows where we can reach if we improve even further

Sad to see Ray Lew depart for England and thus end his lengthy association with the football club but he is someone who will always, always be welcome back at Fulham and it's a move none of us would ever begrudge him.

Dempsey isn't remotely close to joining Liverpool. He is not skiving pre-season tours, or pulling out of friendlies, or any more of this nonsense. So stop propagating it.

We have a lot of really promising youngsters at this club, the newest name being Mesca it seems (I saw him on trial here last summer when he played at Walton Casuals and oh my gosh he must be as quick as Eddie Johnson, he's blistering).

The next few years could be great fun for us.

AJ's gone. A shame, but inevitable and the club won't miss him.

Murphy's gone. A tragedy, I loved the guy and he could still have done a job for us next season – quite why Blackburn was more attractive than Fulham I can't work out but fair play and quite sincerely, all the best.

Etuhu's gone. One of the most under-appreciated players we've had at the club, he was constantly mocked despite being a regular in our push for 7th place and our European journey, and it's not even as if he's a twit, in fact quite the opposite. Having said that he'd always be a squad player under Jol and although he'd be useful in that role we won't miss him considerably. Again, all the best.

BH Riise has gone. Almost a none entity at the club if it weren't for his two marvelous assists during that great night at Basel. Inevitable that he would leave really.

Gecov has gone. A bit disappointing really, he was always a source of intrigue from fans and we won't know how talented he was(n't) despite a bit of promise.

The Pog has gone. With those wage demands I'm not surprised. He did well but Petric looks like a competent replacement, to say the least.

Anyone else gone?

A lot of people have gone. I'm not really concerned, they have freed up a significant amount of our wage bill and have opened space for youngsters to take their place. However, we do need to sign one or two additions before the end of the window for sure, especially in central midfield and upfront.

We signed Petric on a free. Fantastic business, he's a very clever player, a good striker for sure, and I wouldn't actually be suprised if he's first choice this season.

We signed Rodellega on a free. Again, good business, an exceptionally inconsistent player but one who could do really well here – and if he doesn't, no loss financially anyway.

We signed Riether on loan. Umm, I don't get this, unless Jol likes him more than Kelly and wants a right back to keep us hanging over until we can get a better one in next summer.

Not many people have signed. We do need bodies – our central midfield looks a bit weak, as does our striking options – but we aren't yet in a panic to sign them. I trust Jol and the board, who are exceptionally competent.

Kacaniklic has signed an extension. Great news, he's better than I thought he was (I've seen him a bit for the reserves and honestly didn't see Premier League potential in him) and promises a lot for this season as a genuine wide option
Kelly has signed an extension. Pleased to see this, he's a tidy right back. Not exceptional, but he's ok.

So some clumsily arranged thoughts on the last few months. And there'll be more that I've missed I'm sure. But I just wanted to write again!

~lork

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/08/its-august-already/?

WhiteJC

Is this the year of Pajtim Kasami?

The case of Pajtim Kasami is a perplexing one. On his arrival at Fulham, Martin Jol lauded his purchase, claiming the Swiss was a "great talent" who would aid our development in both the "short and long term". The Dutchman was, of course, keen not to heap too much pressure onto this somewhat raw, un-nurtured talent but it was clear, not least from his tone, that Kasami was considered a vital creative element in Jol's new-look side.

This importance to the team never materialised, however. Jol seemed to lose faith in his young midfielder with some quite alarming haste, even fining the player for missing a penalty in a Carling Cup tie against Chelsea. Orlando Sa, it was later explained, was the designated penalty taker on that evening and Jol didn't take Kasami's decision to step up lightly.

Following this minor skirmish, the season seemed to go downhill for Kasami. He featured rarely, and produced the goods with an even more striking scarcity. He made seven appearances in total last year and his imprint on the first team was hardly visible. Such was his sudden demise, in fact, that a proposed move to Juventus in the January transfer window didn't even concern the Fulham faithful as much as you'd expect it to.

But then again, surely being linked with a European footballing giant in the ilk of Juve speaks its own story? The 20- year-old may not have been tempted from our grasps, but you don't attract attention from Serie A champions without possessing a morsel of ability and a portion of panache. And that's why you have to feel that Kasami, for all his opening inconsistencies and his enigmatic character, is a player well worth retaining and, just maybe, someone that will make a mark this coming campaign that we would never really predict.

He's not shown us much - hell, even Bryan Ruiz has had his quite exquisite moments - but, in the interests of fairness, he has had little opportunity to do so. He was kept at arms length, with consummate ease, by the likes of Danny Murphy and Steve Sidwell and, later on, Moussa Dembele and Mahamadou Diarra. Those are difficult pairings to get ahead of so, while the likes of Alex Kacaniklic and Kerim Frei are offered free roam of the flanks, Kasami has a job on his hands merely making it onto the pitch.

What we have seen though could be considered evidence enough. In that controversial game against Chelsea which, in the balance of the match, could have easily swung either way, Kasami had the persona of a dominant, creative force that had vision well beyond his years. The major disappointment was, clearly, his penalty miss and that scarred what was an impressive display.

If we look beyond his year at Fulham, it becomes even more difficult to see why settling in South West London has become so complex. At Palermo, a Serie A side that, over recent years have held the deeds to the likes of Edinson Cavani and Javier Pastore, Kasami managed to hold down a first team place for a fairly significant period of time. He may have had no goals to his name but 24 appearances show that he was furnished well for competitive football at the highest level.

So why doesn't he reciprocate that in London? Well, there's no reason to say he can't. FFC have been notoriously slow so far in this transfer window and, despite losing no fewer than 3 first team central midfielders, have yet to move into the market for at least one replacement. Maybe this hesitance is because, in many respects, we have cover in our ranks anyway. Perhaps Jol is prepared, for a second time, to put his weight behind Kasami and allow him to flourish in some truly combative football over this coming campaign.

It's a risk, of course, but many worse risks have been taken. Jol will still need to get players in but maybe this isn't just the year of Ruiz. It could be the year of Kasami too.
Pajtim Kasami - Welcome to Fulham

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/8/8/3228276/is-this-the-year-of-pajtim-kasami?

WhiteJC

Ruiz vows to score more for Fulham

Fulham striker Bryan Ruiz is promising to be more productive in his second year in the Premier League.

The Costa Rica international scored just twice last season for Martin Jol's side following his 10.6 million pounds move from FC Twente.

However, the 26-year-old is determined to put his difficult first season in England behind him and has insisted he will show fans at Craven Cottage that he is worth his hefty price tag.

"As a player that plays further up the pitch, it is one of my responsibilities to help in that area," he told the club's official website.

"Whether that is through assists or scoring goals, that's what I am here to do.

"It would be nice to score a few more as the new season progresses though and that's something that I know that I am capable of doing.

"I think there is more to come. I know that the manager has talked about me making a greater contribution and that he has faith that I can.

"Is that pressure? I don't think so. It is exactly what I want to hear because I came to England to show my qualities."

http://www.sportal.co.nz/football-news-display/ruiz-vows-to-score-more-for-fulham-191800

WhiteJC

Tooting & Mitcham Utd 0-3 FFC U21s

Fulham's Under-21s saw off Tooting & Mitcham on Wednesday night in what proved a comfortable 3-0 victory.

The Whites played some positive stuff in the first-half, with Omri Altman setting Kit Symons' side on the way when firing in from the edge of the box.

Their lead was doubled moments later when Lasse Vigen Christensen volleyed in smartly from Charles Banya's cross.

Sean Kavanagh scored the goal of the night though, striking home with a superb free-kick to send Fulham in to the interval three goals to the good.

Half chances fell for both Dino Islamovic and Banya, however, the Whites would fail to further the scoring in what proved to be a frustrating second period. 

Fulham Under-21s: Bettinelli; Brister, Pritchard, TRIALIST, Kavanagh; Grimmer, Christensen (Donegan 60), Altman, Banya (Williams 60); Peniket (TRIALIST 45), Islamovic.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/August/FFCU21sVTootingMitchamUtd.aspx?

WhiteJC

Fulham make move for Celtic forward Hooper as Jol looks to boost strikerforce

Fulham have made a move for Celtic striker Gary Hooper. The 24-year-old played for Celtic on Wednesday as goals from Joe Ledley and Georgios Samaras sealed a 2-0 win over HJK Helsinki which saw them progress 4-1 on aggregate to the Champions League play-off round.

Hooper was the subject of a failed £7million bid from Southampton earlier this year but Fulham boss Martin Jol is hopeful of persuading Celtic to sell this time around.

Heading south? Gary Hooper is wanted by Fulham

Hooper has scored 44 goals in 64 league games for Celtic following his £2.4million move from Scunthorpe in 2010 and Jol hopes he can continue that form in the Premier League.

Jol has switched targets as he was reluctant to outbid Blackburn for Jordan Rhodes of Huddersfield, who is expected to sign for £6m today.

Keen to strengthen: Fulham manager Martin Jol says he wants to add a striker before the end of the transfer window

Celtic are willing to sell at least one of their big-name players this summer and will consider a move for Parkhead favourite Scott McDonald — currently at Middlesbrough — should Hooper's deal go through.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2185677/Fulham-keen-Celtics-Gary-Hooper.html#ixzz23171buar

WhiteJC

Big Experience

While his team mates have been getting ready for the new campaign through a variety of training camps and friendly matches, Pajtim Kasami became an Olympian this summer.

And although his Swiss side didn't get the results they would have liked –taking a solitary point from their three group matches – the midfielder was delighted to play his part in the historic Games.

"It was an experience that nobody can take away from me," Pajtim told fulhamfc.com. "I learned a lot about the Olympics because you play every three days and it was high intensity international football.

"Also, we travelled everywhere on the bus - we didn't have a plane - so I learned a lot and I will definitely use that experience in the future.

"There were a lot of quality players there and you saw a lot of teams came with really big players and it was a very big experience for me. I'm still very young and I can still learn a lot."

Fulham fans will be hoping the undoubtedly talented youngster builds on his Olympic game-time in the coming season and Pajtim admits he was glad to be back in Fulham colours in our slender victory over MK Dons earlier in the week.

"I was happy to be back and to play 90 minutes – it was good," he explained. "I have played quite a lot – I played five games in 10 days I think - and I was a bit tired but now I've played my first game of the season for Fulham I still feel I can improve and get to my top level.

"I'm looking forward to the start of the new season. We've had a bit more time to prepare ourselves this year and I feel fresh now. Of course I had the Olympics which I enjoyed but now I'm pleased to be back and I'm training hard with the Team to get to my top level."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/August/BigExperience.aspx?

WhiteJC

Countdown to the Premier League: Previewing Fulham

After finishing in ninth place last season, Fulham manager Martin Jol claimed his side were the 'best of the rest' in the Premier League.

The Cottagers played some fine football during Jol's debut campaign – with one of the highlights a 5-0 thumping of Wolves – but a significant turnover in personnel over the summer could prove difficult for the Londoners to adapt to.

Influential captain Danny Murphy has left for Blackburn while Russian Pavel Pogrebnyak decided against extending his six-month spell and has signed for Premier League new boys Reading.

Jol has boosted his striking options by bringing in Hugo Rodallega and Croat Mladen Petric. However, much may depend on whether the club can hang on to the services of star men Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembele.

Here are the thoughts of contributors to Clean Sheets...

How will Fulham fare this season?

Matt Wood: I'd be surprised if they manage to do any better than their ninth placed finish last season. Having said that, Fulham became one of the most attractive teams in the league last season and the fans will be hoping the football continues to impress even if the team end up being stranded in mid-table.

Alex Hams: Anywhere above tenth would be a real achievement for Fulham, who may have a tough season this time out. The departure of Danny Murphy will really tell in the latter half of the season, as his experience has been vital for the club over the last few years. Clint Dempsey also looks set to leave, with Roma and Liverpool interested, and if he does they will miss his versatility and tenacity in attack. There are a few reasons for optimism though, with some additions to their forward ranks, the Cottagers could be a problem for some teams, and are usually strong at home. Too good to be relegated, not good enough to get into Europe, mid-table beckons.

Rohil Daya: Martin Jol has continued the good work done by Mark Hughes and his Fulham side plays some really attractive football. Yet they never look like they can fight for the top places in the league. The departure of Clint Dempsey could affect them massively but another steady season is likely for the Cottagers, with a top-half finish the best they can aim for.

Elliott Bretland: Another season of mid-table mediocrity beckons for the Craven Cottage club. However they have too much quality in the squad to be sucked into a relegation dogfight.

Is Martin Jol in danger of losing his job at any point this season?

MW: There's a clutch of teams below the top seven or eight that are all probably at a similar level. Fulham are arguably one of those and could easily be dragged in towards the bottom of the table if things don't go their way early on in the campaign. If they're in trouble at Christmas, expect a change.

AH: It would be a surprise to see Jol shown the door this season, as he seems to have the team playing good football and achieving the expected level of success. Of course if performances drop, which is a possibility, he could be in trouble, but the squad have the ability and the know how to keep the Dutchman safe.

RD: After a tricky start to his first season, Jol managed to win over the fans and the board. His clever buys have by and large worked in the league. A poor start to the season could put him under some pressure but as long as his team is away from the bottom-three his job should be safe.

EB: If the team is doing badly at Christmas I wouldn't be surprised if Mohammed Al-Fayed rang in the changes.

Who is the one player Fulham could do without?

MW: I've always felt Philippe Senderos was a clumsy type of defender and looks like he's an accident waiting to happen when he takes to the field.

AH: Bryan Ruiz looked out of his depth last season, with the hustle and bustle of the Premier League getting the better of him. He is a bit of a luxury player, and in a mid-table scrap you need everybody fighting and performing consistently. The occasional moment of magic doesn't make up for going missing during most games.

RD: Philippe Senderos. He has never convinced me in the Premier League and looked dodgy at points during last season.

EB: Steve Sidwell isn't the player he was when he moved to Chelsea from Reading all those years ago.

Which new signing will invigorate Fulham?

MW: Hugo Rodallega should be given much more of an active role than he was afforded at Wigan last season and should get his fair share of goals.

AH: The man who ruined England's summer in 2008, Mladen Petric. The Croat has a cultured left-foot, bags of experience and didn't cost a penny.

RD: Hugo Rodallega performed well for most of his time at Wigan but I am going for Mladen Petric. The Croat had a good goal scoring record in Germany and he should be a more than adequate replacement for the departing Andy Johnson. Despite his age, the 31-year-old should start most games and could become the focal point of Jol's new look attack.

EB: Mladen Petric has great European pedigree and the skilful Croatian should do well in the Premier League.

One player from Fulham to have in your Fantasy Football team this season..

MW: With 23 goals in all competitions last season, you can't argue with having Clint Dempsey in your team for £9.5m. Whether he'll be wearing the white of Fulham is another matter.

AH: Mark Schwarzer is always a good option in goal, but Moussa Dembele for £6m is, potentially, one of the best bargains out there.

RD: John Arne Riise at £5.5m is a good option. Fulham generally keep it tight at the back and he can also produce one of his famous left-foot blasts.

EB: At £6m, Moussa Dembele should get lots of points for assists during the coming season.

http://www.cleansheetsallround.co.uk/2012/08/premier-league-preview-fulham?

WhiteJC

Manchester United - Move on from Moura and go for Dembele

Forget Lucas Moura, right now, Moussa Dembele is the man for Manchester United.

Sir Alex Ferguson has been admirably stubborn in his midfield search this summer, but also caught in a financial quandry.

The manager did not want to pay Newcastle's £25 million asking price for Cheik Tiote so dismissed him as a target, while when he did make offers of that amount for Luka Modric and Lucas Moura, the club was told it was not enough.

With a week and a half until the season kicks off, there is little time to be wasted, and United are at the point where they need to act fast to bring a new face in.

With time elapsed, they do not have the luxury of bringing in a new man on pre-season to settle in. It would be wise now to bring in a midfielder with experience of the Premier League who can adapt quickly.

One who the club were previously linked with, and are reported to have had a £10 million offer rejected for just last week is Moussa Dembele.

The Belgian is a big talent, and has just one year left on his contract, so given the right offer, Fulham would be tempted to sell.

A bid of between £13-15 million should do the trick. Some observers may view this as over the odds, but it is less than half the club were willing to play on Lucas Moura, who has never even played in Europe, and would allow the club to strengthen in other areas.

Moura may be the world's next big star, he may be a bust, either way he is now out of reach, agreeing to sign for PSG in January. Dembele is in any case is a far safer option, even if he lacks the X-factor some fans are demanding. Right now United fans have to face it that midfield options are limited and he appears the best of the bunch.

It would leave money to spend on a left-back to cover for Patrice Evra, and even for a certain Dutchman to play up front.

Dembele is a talented footballer, who was originally signed by Mark Hughes for Fulham from AZ, where he played predominantly as a second striker.

Martin Jol last season converted him to a central midfield position, and it has worked wonders. His quick passing and ability to keep possession and control the tempo of the attack has crucial to Fulham's success last season, particularly at home.

At 25, he wants to join his Belgian international colleagues in moving to a major club capable of challenging for honours, and United naturally fit the bill.

United have wasted so much time on their pursuit of Lucas Moura which appears destined to end fruitless, so a quick signing of Dembele would be ideal. They have the money, it is just whether Sir Alex Ferguson wants to meet Fulham's valuation.

If they waste more time, they may end up without any new midfield additions, and Dembele would slot right in and be ready to go from day one.

http://hereisthecity.com/2012/08/08/manchester-united-move-on-from-moura-and-go-for-dembele/?

WhiteJC

Fulham - QPR : The battle for supremacy

Who will finish highest out of the West London rivals? Fulham, or QPR?

When you think of Fulham and QPR's rivalry last season, one man was at the heart of it all, Bobby Zamora.

He was instrumental in Fulham's 6-0 destruction of QPR, scoring one and assisting two others. He then shocked his club by walking out on them in January to join, you guessed it - QPR.

There he was re-united with ex-Fulham manager Mark Hughes, and when the pair met Fulham at Loftus Road in late February they slipped to a chastening 1-0 loss.

Right then, the R's were seriously contemplating relegation, and both Hughes and Zamora would have been seriously considering their judgement.,

As it was, they survived by the skin of their teeth, and their near brush with relegation has led to them coming back like a comic villain, badder and stronger.

They have added another ex-Fulham striker to their ranks, Andy Johnson, who bagged a hat-trick in that 6-0 victory, which will mean even extra spice when the two teams meet next season, as if it needed it.

Fulham-QPR is not seen as one of the games' most intense rivalries, indeed both clubs like to think themselves superior to one another and prefer to think of Chelsea as their more traditional rivals.

This season the clashes will be more competitive than ever. Last season Fulham went into both games considering themselves a notch above QPR, and they were, it showed in the results, with the newly promoted side struggling for wins all season.

Heading into this campaign, QPR's aim will not be simply to avoid relegation, they will enter it with the same aspirations as Fulham; a top 10 finish, and a decent cup run. European qualification would be a bonus.

The signings both clubs have made make top half finishes more than realistic. Mladen Petric looks excellent at Fulham and big things are expected from Bryan Ruiz in his second season, while QPR's signing of Park Ji-Sung is a sign of their new pulling power and ambition.

The battle to finish in the top 10 will be very competitive next year, and there may only be room for one of them. The question is who?

http://hereisthecity.com/2012/08/08/fulham-qpr-rivalry-more-intense-than-ever-before/?

WhiteJC

The new Fulham Review is out now!

It was another long slog, but the new Fulham Review is here.

Usual stuff, 108 pages of match reports, Dave's departing heroes, Colin's stats, and more historical marvels from Nick Johnson. There are also outstanding contributions from Alex L, 'Hatter' Don Hymel and Jamie R.  John Cummins made the cover better!

It's the sixth book we've done in the series and it's still a fiver.  Please do give me a shout if you have any questions, otherwise please go to www.godsfoot.com to order!

cheers

Rich

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/the-new-fulham-review-is-out-now/?

WhiteJC

Jol tipped to raid Bhoys

Fulham boss Martin Jol will reportedly test Celtic's resolve by launching a move for striker Gary Hooper.
The Scottish champions have so far stood firm on Hooper and rejected a £7million bid from newly-promoted Southampton for the forward earlier this year.

The Saints have since secured Jay Rodriguez from Burnley and are unlikely to return with an improved offer for Hooper and Jol now hopes he can capture the Celtic star, who grabbed 29 goals in 49 appearances last season.

Jol has already secured the services of forwards Hugo Rodallega and Mladen Petric this summer but the Dutchman admits he is still seeking to strengthen his frontline following the exits of Orlando Sa, Bobby Zamora, Pavel Pogrebnyak and Andy Johnson.

The SPL outfit are eager to keep hold of Hooper, who moved to Parkhead in a £2.4million deal from Scunthorpe in 2010, but Celtic boss Neil Lennon has previously conceded he could be forced to cash in on one or two of his big names this summer to fund his own transfer plans.

It remains to be seen how much Fulham will need to bid to convince Celtic to part company with the 24-year-old but Jol will almost certainly have to offer more than £7million if he is to secure the services of Hooper for the coming campaign.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/Fulham/Jol-tipped-to-raid-Bhoys--1452241.html?#.UCPENkK_wds

WhiteJC

Rovers only option for Etuhu

New Blackburn signing Dickson Etuhu has expressed his delight at joining the Lancashire club, stating that the decision was "a no-brainer".

The Nigerian midfielder signed a four-year deal at Ewood Park last week and looks set to form an experienced backbone to Steve Kean's midfield alongside fellow former Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy.

"This is exciting to me, coming to a big club like this in the Championship, there are some quality players so I thought it would be good to be part of that," he told the East Anglian Daily Times.

"I spoke to the manager, he told me his plans of how he wants to play and the direction he wants to take the club.

"Once I heard of the ambition that the club has it was a no-brainer for me."

http://www.teamtalk.com/blackburn-rovers/7975650/Rovers-only-option-for-Etuhu?

WhiteJC

Feeling Sharp

With the new Barclays Premier League season just over a week away, Mark Schwarzer is pleased with Fulham's preparations for the forthcoming 2012/13 campaign.

The Whites' First Team are unbeaten in their pre-season friendlies so far this summer and, while fitness is more important than results, evergreen goalkeeper Schwarzer has been impressed with the way things have gone.

"It's been going well," the 39-year-old told the official website. "We've had two pre-season camps – one in Germany and one in Switzerland – and they've been good.

"They're always good for a number of reasons. First and foremost, it gives the Team the chance to get together, meet the new signings and bond with each other. And it also allows us to get some serious training under our belts.

"I think they worked really well, we played some games along the way and overall they've been very competitive. I think we can be reasonably satisfied with the way we've performed.

"With a week and a bit until the start of the new season, we're looking forward to it and we'll iron out any nitty-gritty things and be right for the first game against Norwich City on 18th August."

New arrivals Mladen Petric, Sascha Riether and Hugo Rodallega have all been in action for the Whites in their summer sharpeners.

And Schwarzer is impressed by how the trio have adapted to their new surroundings.

"They've done really well," he said. "If you look at the scoresheet, Mladen's been on it just about every time so it's pretty obvious he's settled in very, very well.

"Hugo scored the other night at MK Dons and it looks like he's back to fitness. It's vital for us to have strikers who score goals.

"And Sascha Riether has done well at right-back. He's settled in well and it's like he's been here for a long time."

Schwarzer played 43 times in all competitions for Fulham last term as the Whites finished in a hugely respectable ninth place.

And Schwarzer admits hopes amongst the camp are high for similar success this season.

"Overall we were all very satisfied with the way the season ended up," he stated.

"To finish ninth – and we were very close to finishing seventh – when we started our first game in June was excellent. To have such a long season and still finish in the top half was a credit to everyone at the Club.

"This season we want to again finish in the top half of the table and to continue to be an established Premier League team.

"It's going to be tough and every season it gets tougher. Teams are investing in new players and the quality of the league is always getting better but we need to make sure we continue doing what we've been doing the last couple of seasons."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/August/FeelingSharp.aspx?

WhiteJC

'Lukaku will not join Fulham'

Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku will not be joining Fulham on loan, according to the player's agent.

Lukaku, 19, struggled to make an impact at Stamford Bridge after joining from Anderlecht last summer for a substantial fee, and he is expected to spend the 2012-13 campaign elsewhere to further his development.

It had been reported that he was set to join Chelsea's West London rivals Fulham, but it appears he is bound for another English club.

"I can assure you that Romelu is not going to Fulham," agent Christophe Henrotay said in Sport/Foot. "I am currently finalising the details with another Premier League club.

"Romelu will go on loan. I cannot say which team he will join, or when it will happen, but things are progressing."

Henrotay said Lukaku had spoken to Fulham but added: "We have spoken to many clubs. Those journalists at The Sun spread those rumours without even checking with me."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1131266?&cc=5739