News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Where does International Women's football come in the Football League?

Started by panto, August 09, 2012, 06:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panto

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19198301

The Olympics women's football has been good to watch. But would a women team or individual make it in any of the Football Leagues? I would say sadly not. Maybe the Blue Square Leagues.

Anyway just starting one of those if Rodger played Serena debates.   

Lighthouse

I hate these debates. The point is women playing a sport makes it a different sport. Not a worst sport or a better one but simply different. I love volleyball (not the stupid beach volleyball but proper volleyball) But nobody suggests they should have the sexes competing together. I suppose you could have mixed teams in a mixed game. But no I want to enjoy a game of football and then enjoy another game of womens football. They are different games.

Womens tennis is fun. Serena is a butch woman. But could not compete with any of the top hundred or so male players. She is a champion in HER sport. Let's not pretend other wise.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Lighthouse

Although I hate these debates I clearly don't as I have added to one and enjoyed it. Sorry interesting topic is really what I meant.

jarv

Agree you cannot compare them. In answer to your question, not one woman would make it in a Ryman league team. A few years ago, the US national team played against a boys club team (under 18) and lost. It was a good boys team but nowhere near semi pro level. It was not publicised (in fact kept very quiet) but I think the score was 2-0.

Burt

If the women's volleyball teams play in bikinis, why don't the blokes play in mankinis?

Stupid, and strangely repulsive, thought of the day.

Berserker

Quote from: Burt on August 09, 2012, 11:05:12 PM
If the women's volleyball teams play in bikinis, why don't the blokes play in mankinis?

That is so funny. As long as they don't have the naked man wrestling as in Borat, that would be just so repulsive
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

RidgeRider

Quote from: Burt on August 09, 2012, 11:05:12 PM

I thought I was reading a post from my esteemed colleague Ms. Berserker there for a moment.

Who are you and what have you done with Burt?  :dft012:

HatterDon

Quote from: jarv on August 09, 2012, 08:49:39 PM
Agree you cannot compare them. In answer to your question, not one woman would make it in a Ryman league team.

And, exactly what does that prove?

Certainly women's sport can be enjoyed on its own merits. I can't understand why people feel more macho when they denigrate women.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

btings

I enjoy watching the US women's team much, much, much more than the men's team.  The fact that they are actually good is probably a big part of that, but there are several people on that team (Wombach & Rapinoe in particular) that I like more than almost anybody on the men's team.

There's an animated gif floating around which I tried and failed to find for this thread - from an Alex Morgan interview where she says something like, "I was a tomboy, I used to love beating the boys at everything.  Then at some point around sixth or seventh grade it was no longer possible, so I decided to beat all the girls instead."  This is basically why the US Women's team is so appealing to me: because the desire to crush everybody else is pervasive, and there are few member's of the men's team who share it so openly.

There are inherit physical differences in terms of strength and speed, and that makes it a different game, but also a pretty interesting one.  The games seem to be more high scoring, because striking technique seems to be less limited by physiology, and goalkeeping moreso.  As the game continues to evolve at a high level, that may change.

One last note: Carli Llyod's second goal today was a fair impression of Balotelli in the Euros semifinal.  Except instead of outpacing the entire defense, she just burned straight through them with that screamer of a strike.

starsnstripes

stevehawkinslidingtackle

I think they could definitely now get a top 2 finish in the SPL

earlbeatty

I have seen the USA Women's team twice on the TV over the Olypmics and have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the football. The game against Canada was a cracking game of football.

EB

bog

The main point on this subject is that the the ladies' game has improved beyond recognition. The Canada v USA was unforgetable.

092.gif 

jms

Agree Bog ! It is also to be hoped that this Olympics will be another way of improving the visibility of Women's football to the British Sporting public and particularly the media.

King_Crud

"if the bible's taught us anything, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as foxy boxing, hot oil wrestling, and such and such"

Lighthouse

Quote from: King_Crud on August 10, 2012, 10:55:11 AM
"if the bible's taught us anything, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as foxy boxing, hot oil wrestling, and such and such"

:011: Nothing like a bit of Homer to make it all make sense

Mr_Moon

Why not open the question further and include Men's international football? Club football is by far superior to international football so it would be interesting to see where nations feature if they played side by side with clubs.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Mr_Moon on August 10, 2012, 12:28:28 PM
Why not open the question further and include Men's international football? Club football is by far superior to international football so it would be interesting to see where nations feature if they played side by side with clubs.

Yes I don't suppose there would be many top 4 finishes in the Prem outside of the very top International sides. I have a feeling Spain would be caught out playing Stoke and the like week in week out.

YankeeJim

I have to agree with those who have enjoyed the womans Olympic football. The gold medal game was hard fought with  a lot of effort and NONE of the phony diving & ankle clutching that you see so much today. There were few fouls. No, it's not as fast and the skill level is not as high but it's competitive. Much like watching a quality match at a lower level. That & I wouldn't mind being in the goal celebration pile up with a number of them. Alex Morgan anyone?  :004:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

btings

For the interested, a fairly funny writeup about the gold medal match and the last year of the US women's team, by the (fairly brilliant, imo) Brian Phillips of Grantland and Run of Play:
  http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8254543/brian-phillips-uswnt-gold-medal-game