watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army Moaner's Division

Started by bog, August 10, 2012, 10:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Is anybody else brassed off with the BBC with their general ignoring of medal ceremonies of other countries? When Victoria Pendleton got her silver they avoided showing who had stepped up for the bronze! The worst was last night. As the national anthem of Kenya was playing for the 800m the three Jamaican 200m runners were about to be interviewed. They were all standing still in respect and then this foll of a muppet pulls at the arm of the third placed runner and makes him answer his mind numbing questions ie How do you feel? whilst the anthem is still playing. Bog off!

092.gif 

mr-ska

The BBc Bosses have told staff to stop crowing about the Success of Team GB and trumpet other nations success. They seem to forget we pay for the smelly BBc and theres nothing wrong with enjoying the efforts of our fellow country men. Also they had to lecture us last night during the 200m finals. Just wind your necks in BBc and let us enjoy a bit of BRITISH JOY!

cebu

Quote from: bog on August 10, 2012, 10:07:11 AM
Is anybody else brassed off with the BBC with their general ignoring of medal ceremonies of other countries? When Victoria Pendleton got her silver they avoided showing who had stepped up for the bronze! The worst was last night. As the national anthem of Kenya was playing for the 800m the three Jamaican 200m runners were about to be interviewed. They were all standing still in respect and then this foll of a muppet pulls at the arm of the third placed runner and makes him answer his mind numbing questions ie How do you feel? whilst the anthem is still playing. Bog off!

092.gif 

I agree with you totally about the reporter pulling the Jamaican athletes to one side during the 800m medal ceremony. On the other hand it was good to see fellow athletes like Bolt showing their respect for Rudisha and his achievement, even though he's not from their own country.

King_Crud

BBC coverage is still better than the Australian coverage (I haven't watched it for these olympics). All they show is Australians winning in swimming, and when there are no Australians winning in swimming they show replays of Australians winning in swimming. You wouldn't think there were other sports or other countries involved in the olympics

Lighthouse

I live in Britain so I want to bask in our success with a little bit of other news thrown in. We will be back to knocking the Country next week. But if I hear one more interviewer ask 'how does it feel' to win, lose,draw, have a verruca, walk with a limp, lose badly, win well etc etc. I shall take them out and make them watch Gary Lineker and his stilted anchor work and ask them 'how does it feel to talk rubbish and have to watch it?'
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

SG

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 10, 2012, 11:45:47 AM
I live in Britain so I want to bask in our success with a little bit of other news thrown in. We will be back to knocking the Country next week. But if I hear one more interviewer ask 'how does it feel' to win, lose,draw, have a verruca, walk with a limp, lose badly, win well etc etc. I shall take them out and make them watch Gary Lineker and his stilted anchor work and ask them 'how does it feel to talk rubbish and have to watch it?'

Although I agree that there are some really inane questions where you want the athlete/sportsman/woman to say that is a stupid question how do you think I feel, isnt a pleasure for once to listen to reasonably educated, polite, considerate people who are incredibly grateful for the support and the opportunity that they have been given and barely acknowledge their own personal contribution and dedication to their success. Compared to our footballers I know who I would prefer to listen to and it is a real breath of fresh air.

TonyGilroy

It's easy to blame the interviewer but what should they be asking?

Read any good books lately? Who do you sleep with? Who do you vote for? Are you free tonight? What's your drug of choice?

"How do you feel" is a sort of catch all that opens the way for them to say whatever they feel like saying.

I actually think that the BBC coverage has been excellent with the right mix of expertise and enthusiasm.

Could only be bettered if Brendan Foster lost his voice.

Mr_Moon

Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 10, 2012, 01:07:52 PM
It's easy to blame the interviewer but what should they be asking?

Read any good books lately? Who do you sleep with? Who do you vote for? Are you free tonight? What's your drug of choice?

"How do you feel" is a sort of catch all that opens the way for them to say whatever they feel like saying.

I actually think that the BBC coverage has been excellent with the right mix of expertise and enthusiasm.

Could only be bettered if Brendan Foster lost his voice.

This. Also need to take into consideration that the athletes have just ran, swam, rowed, jumped so may feel exhausted or on a huge adrenaline rush. Keep it simple.

alfie

Quote from: mr-ska on August 10, 2012, 10:17:14 AM
The BBc Bosses have told staff to stop crowing about the Success of Team GB and trumpet other nations success. They seem to forget we pay for the smelly BBc and theres nothing wrong with enjoying the efforts of our fellow country men. Also they had to lecture us last night during the 200m finals. Just wind your necks in BBc and let us enjoy a bit of BRITISH JOY!

on Breakfast tv this morning they mentioned this but then followed up saying that it was not true.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Berserker

You know Mr B really dislikes Bredan Foster and moans alot when he is commentating. It isn't just this olympics it's always been like that
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

TonyGilroy

It's one long repetitious monologue that often has nothing much to do with the race we're watching.

Telling us whose in which position seems to be utterly irrelevant to him.

Lighthouse

So why do we have any interview? It is pointless in all sports after a race or game. Leave it a few hours and ask a question about tactics etc. It really bugs me that I have to listen to inane chat yet with all the blimmin hours of coverage I know little about some of the lesser known British Athletes. My favourite Lisa Dobrisky is a 1500 hundred metre runner. Yet very little time is given over to the problems she has had leading up to the games. Insted we get dull comments by the dull studio experts.

Although I do enjoy listening to Clare Balding on 5 live or the telly and Hazel Irvine and a few others, because they actually seem to know what they are talking about.

Less chat with the Athlete directly after the event would ease my pain.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

TonyGilroy

It's not much of a chat though. Usually less than a minute and often the athlete seems pleased to express appreciation for family, coaches, crowd etc.

I feel sorry for them when they've done badly but I don't think the "interview" is compulsory. I don't think the pole vaulter who clearly found the occasion too much for her got interviewed. If so I missed it.

HatterDon

092.gif 

One of the Olympics when I was living in England -- '68? '72? -- there was exactly ONE Brit track and field athlete to win a gold, and we saw his race about 53 times. Except for the women's footie, I haven't bothered with this year's edition, but it seems as if Britain is doing extremely well. Why shouldn't they wallow in their medal count this year?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

valdeingruo

NBC's is far worse and I've seen both.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Fernhurst

092.gif 

Well done, this needed to be highlighted.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Burt

I have actually been impressed with the Beeb. To cover all events is a logistical triumph, and for those where commentary has been provided it has generally been good.

The only two times things have grated with me was when the commentor for the heptathalon repeatedly burbled on about Jess Ennis winning gold with two events to go, and the above incident where Phil Jones all but dragged the young lad who came third in the 200m final for a quick interview when he was clearly respecting the Kenyan national anthem at the time.