more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (11/08/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 11, 2012, 06:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jensen's Fond Memories

As two of his former clubs go head-to-head on Saturday, Claus Jensen has spoken fondly of his time at both Fulham and Charlton Athletic.

Martin Jol's side take on Charlton at Craven Cottage in their final pre-season game, although the match itself we be played behind closed doors as a result of the London Olympics currently taking place.

The Whites have won four and drawn two of their six summer fixtures, while the Addicks have tasted victory in all but two of their nine matches as both teams prepare for the start of the 2012/13 campaign.

"This will be a good test for both clubs," Jensen told fulhamfc.com. "Fulham and Charlton are two teams that play good, attractive football and, as a result, the challenge is there for both managers.

"It's not really about results in pre-season, but we're now a week away from the start of their respective league seasons, so a positive performance is important. Martin Jol and Chris Powell will be looking at things a bit differently to they did in their sides' first pre-season game.

"Things have to start coming together, and it looks like they are, as both clubs have played well over the summer. Fulham and Charlton had good seasons last year, and they will want to build on that and start the season strongly."

Fulham and Charlton met last January in an FA Cup Third Round encounter – a game which the Whites won comfortably. Fulham lost their Fourth Round game at Everton, before going on to finish ninth in the Barclays Premier League.

The Addicks certainly didn't let the result dampen their spirits, as Powell's side ran away with the League One title with an impressive 101 points.

"Although this is a friendly game, Charlton won't want to lose 4-0 again, so in a way this will be a chance for them to put that right," added Jensen. "A win against Fulham will give them a huge boost ahead of what is a very important season for them.

"I'm really pleased for Chris, who is an old teammate and friend of mine. He has done a tremendous job at Charlton, and long that may that continue. Their goal is to get back into the top flight and I'm sure they will at some point.

"They want to be playing teams like Fulham every week, and after some difficult years they look to be heading in the right direction. I've been doing a lot of television work and while I have managed to watch a lot of Fulham as a result, unfortunately I haven't seen too much of Charlton – I'm afraid coverage in Denmark doesn't stretch to League One.

"Having watched Fulham in recent years, their progress has been really impressive. They are an established top-flight club and I think they will finish in the top 10 again this season. They have a great squad and a really good Manager, so everything is in place for them.

"The players are just a week away now - the new season is fast approaching. They can't wait to get it under way, after what would have been a tough summer for them. It's an exciting stage of the season, though, because hopes are high and thoughts are full of expectation." 

The former Denmark international spent four years at Charlton, where he made 134 appearances in all competitions, prior to a three-year spell at Craven Cottage. Injuries limited his impact, but the midfielder was still an undoubtedly valued member of the squad.

"I probably had my best years at Charlton," admitted Jensen. "They were in the Premier League then and after finishing ninth, 14th and then 12th, we went on to finish as a high as seventh in what was an unforgettable year for the club. It was a good time.

"Fulham was a different experience in honesty, because as a result of a series of injuries I never really got going. It was a bit stop start, and I only played in 40 games in that period. In the end I was forced to retire at the age of 30.

"But I still have fond memories from my time at Craven Cottage, because Fulham is just such a good Club, and to see how far they have come is incredible really. Like Charlton, I wish them every success for the season ahead."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/August/JensensFondMemories.aspx?

WhiteJC

Club-by-Club Guide: Fulham

Fulham look to take some of the work load off Dempsey

Last season: A ninth place finish was more than acceptable for the Cottagers, but they relied heavily on Clint Dempsey and will look for someone else to take the pressure off him this term.

Expectations: More of the same will be the aim for Martin Jol's men. They look to have added more of a goal threat, which can only be a benefit.

New arrivals: Hugo Rodallega scored 24 goals and 104 Fantasy League points in four seasons at Wigan and looks to be a shrewd bit of business. Croatian international striker Mladen Petric and German defender Sascha Reither have also come in.

Tactics: Moving Mouassa Dembele into a midfield position, and playing Dempsey further forward was a masterstroke by Jol last season. The arrival of Rodallega may see the American given a free role this term.

Star Player: Dempsey's tally of 65 FL points was more than any other midfielder last season. He scored 17 of Fulham's 48 goals, and assisted another seven.

Stalwart: Towering Norwegian Brede Hangeland was an ever present last season and has only missed seven games in the last four seasons. His nine FL points was somewhat short of the 40 he notched up the previous season, but his goal threat means he is capable of that kind of figure again.

One to Watch: 18-year-old winger Kerim Frei impressed when he broke into the first team towards the end of last season. He has yet to score a senior goal, but that could easily come this season if he's given another chance.

First five fixtures: Not too bad. Fulham are notoriously pretty good at home, where they face Norwich and West Brom, while they will also have chances of points at West Ham and Wigan.

2011/12 statistics:

Top goalscorer: Clint Dempsey (17)

Most assists: Clint Dempsey (7)

Av. shots per game: 13.52

Clean sheets: 11

Av. goals conceded per game: 1.34

http://www.fantasyleague.com/Articles/FantasyFootball/PremierLeague/club_by_club_guides_fulham.aspx?

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham v Charlton

Details of how to follow the action from Craven Cottage and who to listen out for
Iain Liddle reports

It may be a behind-closed-doors friendly, but Addicks fans will still be able to follow all the action from the match against Fulham on Saturday afternoon (3pm).

The Charlton Live crew and their broadcast equipment will be smuggled into Craven Cottage in the back of a used laundry basket to bring you exclusive commentary via CAFC Player, the club's premium video service.

Due to policing restrictions as a result of the Olympic Games taking place across the capital, the match on the banks of the River Thames will be a private friendly and no supporters are permitted access.

For Charlton manager Chris Powell it is a final chance to run the rule over his squad in the pre-season campaign, with a Capital One Cup first round clash at home to Leyton Orient kicking off their competitive schedule three days later on Tuesday evening (7.45pm).

You can sign up to CAFC Player for little more than 10p per day and subscribers will be able to utilise some of the new features on offer this season, including the ability to pause and rewind live commentaries – which will be archived for seven days.

In addition to the enhanced coverage, which means fans need not miss a second of the action,  subscribers will be able to watch highlights of the contest in West London as well as post-match interviews with Powell and members of the first-team squad.

Fans will also be able to watch the highlights in greater quality than before thanks to the improved 2MB flash video, and greater accessibility will also be offered to fans with Facebook accounts, via supporters' Facebook log-ins.

Season-ticket holders are reminded that they can get free access to CAFC Player for one month, using the form which accompanied this year's booklets.

Despite having been in separate divisions since the 2006/07 Premiership campaign, supporters of either club will not have to think too hard for the last meeting between the pair.

On January 7th of this year, more than 7,000 loyal Addicks followers made the trip across the capital to watch an FA Cup third round meeting between the sides, which the Cottagers eventually won 4-0 following a hat-trick from Clint Dempsey and an effort from Damien Duff.

The final scoreline was far from reflective of the game itself though as, backed by vocal support all afternoon, the League One champions to be gave a fine account of themselves before two goals in the final 10 minutes gave the result a skewed appearance.

Fulham lost 2-1 to Everton in the next round of the competition, but the blip did not affect their form in the Premier League as they went on to finish ninth in the top flight and level with Liverpool on 52 points.

Manager Martin Jol has continued his squad rebuilding process since the sides last met at the start of the year with Bobby Zamora leaving later that month to accept an offer from West London rivals Queens Park Rangers.

Former Addick Danny Murphy has also moved on, although he will line-up against Charlton once again this season for new club Blackburn Rovers – alongside Dickson Etuhu who also made the switch to Lancashire.

Andy Johnson and Zoltan Gera are among the other high-profile names to have departed Fulham since January, but Jol has replenished his attacking ranks by signing Hugo Rodallega from Wigan Athletic and Croatian international Mladen Petric from Hamburger SV.

Initial indications are that the moves have been positive for Fulham, who are as yet unbeaten after six pre-season matches which include a resounding 4-0 victory over French side OGC Nice and a 2-2 draw with FC Kaiserslautern.

Unlike his opposite number, Powell has not lost any key men from last year's title-winning group and has brought in versatile attackers Salim Kerkar and Jordan Cook, formerly of Glasgow Rangers and Sunderland respectively, along with Lawrie Wilson from Stevenage.

The Addicks boss was loyal to his favoured a 4-4-2 formation last term, but has experimented with 4-3-3 and a diamond midfield in this year's warm-up matches.

A glittering start saw the club win its first six matches on the spin including a 1-0 victory over European heavyweights Sporting Clube de Portugal during their training camp in Lepe.

On the injury front, goalkeeper Nick Pope, who was on the bench at Craven Cottage in January, is on the road to recovery following an operation on his left knee but unavailable for Saturday's match.

Andy Hughes is the only other player likely to be ruled out due to injury as he continues his attempts to overcome a troublesome Achilles problem.

The match kicks off at 3pm, but Charlton Live will be on air from around 2.30pm. You can also follow the match via the live blog on the front page of www.cafc.co.uk from the same time, or receive updates via the club's official Twitter service @CAFCofficial.

http://www.cafc.co.uk//news/article/20120810-fulham-preview-305653.aspx?&pageView=full#anchored

WhiteJC

Lukaku seals Baggies loan move
West Brom have completed the signing of Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku on a season-long loan, the Premier League club have announced.

The 19-year-old joined Chelsea from Anderlecht for a reported £13million in August 2011 but struggled to break into the first team and was unable to score in just eight appearances for the Blues.

He has attracted the interest of a number of Premier League rivals this summer after it became clear that Chelsea would be prepared to loan him out to gain more experience.

The Belgian youngster's agent revealed earlier in the week that a move somewhere was close, whilst ruling out Fulham as a possible destination, and the Baggies have now won the chase for his signature.

"I'm delighted to welcome Romelu to the club," said boss Steve Clarke.

"He's a strong, powerful centre-forward who is young, enthusiastic and eager to learn. He was also desperate to come here.

"Romelu had a lot of Europe's top clubs chasing him when he joined Chelsea from Anderlecht for big money a year ago and also had several Premier League teams wanting to take him on loan this summer, so we've done well to get him.

"With the calibre of strikers Chelsea have got, he's found it difficult to break into the first team at Stamford Bridge.

"But he's had a season working at a top Premier League club and he now needs more minutes on the pitch.

"We're more than happy for Romelu to continue his development with us. I am sure he will be a big help to the squad over the course of the season."

Lukaku told Chelsea TV: "I'm very excited. After last season, where I was able to adjust and prepare for this season, I can't wait to start at West Brom.

"It's very important because, like Chelsea, West Brom play in the Premier League, but it will also be a good learning school for me where I need to work hard with the players around me.

"I've heard a lot of positives about Steve Clarke here and it will be important for me to listen and learn from him. He plays good football."

http://www.football365.com/west-bromwich-albion/7980371/Lukaku-seals-Baggies-loan-move?

WhiteJC

Former Charlton and Fulham favourite: I was better for the Addicks

Claus Jensen has good memories of playing for the London duo

Fulham's Claus Jensen celebrates after scoring. Picture: Adam Davy/EMPICS

Former Fulham and Charlton favourite Claus Jensen admitted that he felt he played his best while at the Addicks.

The 35-year-old retired midfielder made over 120 league appearances for the south Londoners but only made 35 league appearances for the Whites in a three year spell after moving for £1.5million in 2004.

"I probably had my best years at Charlton," admitted Jensen. "They were in the Premier League then and after finishing ninth, 14th and then 12th, we went on to finish as a high as seventh in what was an unforgettable year for the club. It was a good time.

"Fulham was a different experience in honesty, because as a result of a series of injuries I never really got going. It was a bit stop start, and I only played in 40 games in that period. In the end I was forced to retire at the age of 30.

"But I still have fond memories from my time at Craven Cottage, because Fulham is just such a good Club, and to see how far they have come is incredible really. Like Charlton, I wish them every success for the season ahead."

http://www.london24.com/sport/league-1/charlton-athletic/former_charlton_and_fulham_favourite_i_was_better_for_the_addicks_1_1478552?

WhiteJC

BPL Transfer News: What Does the Future Hold for Clint Dempsey in the BPL?

Clive Brunskill/Getty Images

At the tail end of last season, rumors began to swirl that American striker, Clint Dempsey, could be moving on from Fulham for greener pastures.

It did not take long for possible suitors to emerge.  Dempsey's pursuers were some of the most well known clubs in the world.  Arsenal, Paris Saint-Germain, Chelsea, Tottenham, Roma, and Everton were all believed to be interested in acquiring the services of the prolific American goal scorer.

However, as summer began, there seemed to be only one team remaining in the "Dempsey transfer destination" discussion: Liverpool.

After scoring only 47 goals and posting a mere plus seven goal difference during the 2011-2012 English Premier League season, Liverpool realized the high-priced, Newcastle loan, Andy Carroll, was not a good fit.

Carroll's time with the Reds has been as smooth as a mountain pass.  After paying a record fee of £35 million for the striker, the Scousers would have to wait until a March 6, 2011 fixture against Manchester United to see their new addition in action.

Unfortunately, the Kop faithful are still waiting for Andy Carroll to show up.

Prior to transferring to Liverpool at the January 31, 2011 deadline, Carroll had bagged 11 goals in 19 appearances for Newcastle United.  However, he was not able to maintain that goal-scoring pace the rest of the season with the Reds, nor since.  In his Liverpool career, Carroll has netted only 6 goals in 42 matches of BPL action.

Coincidentally, just about the time the transfer rumors of Carroll being out at Anfield began to expound, so did rumblings of Clint Dempsey moving to Liverpool.

Only days ago, it was all but certain Andy Carroll was out at Anfield—especially since Liverpool agreed to a transfer fee with West Ham United—and a Clint Dempsey move to Merseyside was a mere technicality resting only on a transfer fee agreement.

"Buuut wait," as a cheesy TV pitchman would say.

Andy Carroll has rebuked West Ham's offer, and intends to stay at Anfield to earn his spot on the Liverpool squad.

Yet, there are reports he would accept a move back to the Magpies—but unless Newcastle ups the financial terms of their offer, Liverpool's stance will remain the same.  Carroll also wants a chance to play in European competition this season, which Newcastle can offer.

But what if Liverpool and Carroll cannot agree with any team on transfer terms?  Where does that leave Dempsey?

One would have to believe Dempsey's time at Craven Cottage will shortly come to an end.  Especially with the controversy surrounding his non-accompaniment of Fulham to their training session in Switzerland, a return to Fulham seems shaky.

ESPN Soccernet reports Dempsey was left off the training trip so he can work on his fitness with the youth team.  However, Goal.com reports Dempsey pulled himself out of the trip in order to force a move to Liverpool.

Really, looking at the reasons given, which seems more plausible: Fitness or wanting a move?

Dempsey has spent a shade over five seasons at Fulham and became the club's top Premiership goal scorer.  But with not having been on a UEFA Champion's League or BPL contending squad—or any other domestic hardware-contending squad for that matter—it is reasonable for the 29-year-old striker to want a move to a club that can offer him that.

Nevertheless, whichever report you decide to believe about why Dempsey remained back in England while Fulham held training sessions in Switzerland, it is only logical to believe he will be leaving West London before the August 31 transfer window closes.

Yet, as much the favorite Liverpool looks to be in procuring Dempsey, if things stay as they are, they could be out the running unless the Andy Carroll situation is cleared up.

The Reds already have Luis Suarez, and added Fabio Borini through a transfer with Roma at forward.  Would they dare take on another striker with Andy Carroll being adamant about staying at Anfield, turning him into another Alberto Aquilani?

If not, where does that leave Dempsey?  Would Roma, an early rumored destination, surface as the leaders to land Clint to replace the loss of Borini to Liverpool, and unite him with fellow American, Michael Bradley?

One thing is for certain, wherever he ends up you'd be hard pressed to believe a return to Craven Cottage is in the cards.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1292904-bpl-transfer-news-what-does-the-future-hold-for-clint-dempsey-in-the-bpl?

WhiteJC

Chelsea star snubs Fulham to join West Brom

Transfer news: Romelu Lukaku has joined the Baggies on loan for the season

Chelsea star Romelu Lukaku has completed a loan move to West Bromwich Albion.

The 19-year-old had a difficult first season at Stamford Bridge after his transfer for Anderlecht and turned down a move to Fulham to join the Baggies.

Lukaku told the Blues' official site: "I'm very excited. After last season, where I was able to adjust and prepare for this season, I can't wait to start at West Brom.

"It's very important because, like Chelsea, West Brom play in the Premier League, but it will also be a good learning school for me where I need to work hard with the players around me.

"I've heard a lot of positives about Steve Clarke here and it will be important for me to listen and learn from him. He plays good football."

http://www.london24.com/sport/chelsea/chelsea_star_snubs_fulham_to_join_west_brom_1_1478660?

WhiteJC

Rodgers shocked at 'incredible' prices slapped on transfer targets as Liverpool boss eyes Sahin and Dempsey

Brendan Rodgers admits he is shocked at the prices being quoted for his transfer targets since he took over as Liverpool manager.

Rodgers has signed Joe Allen from his old club Swansea after meeting the £15million release clause in the midfielder's contract.

But the frustrated Anfield boss has found other deals harder to complete because he claims clubs try to drive up the price whenever Liverpool show an interest.

Wanted man: Liverpool are eyeing Clint Dempsey

Rodgers is keen to bolster his newly acquired squad further, and is interested in either Fulham's Clint Dempsey or Real Madrid's Nuri Sahin.

'It's absolutely incredible,' said Rodgers after taking charge of his first home game against FC Gomel on Thursday.

'It's always complex at a big club but what I've learnt here very quickly is that the minute Liverpool are interested it adds about two noughts onto the price tag of a player.

'It's probably a wee bit frustrating for everyone, including myself, that we haven't got signings coming in quicker, but I think we've seen that the squad we've got here is already a good one. I'm just trying to improve it a little.'

In the bag: Brendan Rodgers (right) already has Joe Allen (left) from Swansea

As well as Sahin and Dempsey, Rodgers has also been linked with Barcelona winger Cristian Tello, Arsenal's Theo Walcott and Wolves goalkeeper Dorus de Vries.

But he is reluctant to say just how many more new signings will arrive at Anfield before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.

'I don't know whether I expect more signings to follow rapidly after Joe arrives, but certainly our hunt continues,' he added. 'I said when I first came in my objective was to build a squad that was going to be competitive.

'Hopefully between now and the end of August we can get some more players in who can help the players we have here. That would be great.

Target: Nuri Sahin (back) is also wanted by Liverpool

'I don't really want to say how many I'd like to bring in because if I say three, for instance, then people might say "you've not got three" if it doesn't happen.

'We still have work to do in the market and we hope to get it done sooner rather than later, because we want to give them as much time as possible to settle in.

'But I'm realistic enough to know that these things can take time. The people behind the scenes are working very hard on the targets I've asked to come in.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2186804/Brendan-Rodgers-chasing-Clint-Dempsey-Nuri-Sahin.html#ixzz23DMJUFtX

WhiteJC