watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Last season, I started falling out of love with football

Started by BedsFFC, August 11, 2012, 11:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

Hard to disagree with much of what has been said.

I'm still looking forward to the new season though, and at least the social side (beer, chips and gossip) hasn't degraded over the years.

Lighthouse

The Charity Shield or whatever it is called now is on telly live. I have only just bothered to turn it on and am thinking about doing washing. That seems to be how football sits for me right now.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

GoldCoastWhite

I drove down to the southern 'burbs on Saturday afternoon to watch my Para Hills boys beat South Adelaide one nil. Last game of the season against our local rivals, Modbury Jets, and then the Cup Final on the 25th at Hindmarsh Stadium. Now that I am really looking forward too ! Hindmarsh has a 15,000 capacity and I doubt we'll exceed 3,000 but its live, it's real and we'll be as loud as we can be. Corporate greed will never snuff out my love for the game  :scarf:

Scrumpy

I do agree with a lot of what's been said.

On the plus side, I find that a lot of the youngsters today have a massive interest in the good old days; the casual culture, the standing, the chanting, football specials etc. If we stop going and boring them all with our tales of how it used to be, then that's another nail in the coffin for 'real' football.

No, we must keep going until the bitter end. It's the fans that make a Club. It's our duty!!  065.gif :medal:

(and, if we're really honest, it can be pure theatre at times). 098.gif
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Walsh

Quote from: mr-ska on August 12, 2012, 06:55:58 AM
I still love it.  The banter, the social side, the highs and the lows. Cant wait for next Saturday..  i actually get butterflies think about it.   :scarf:

I'm with Mr Ska on this one, the moaning about diving and what is which makes Football amazing when I see a player go down when he hasn't been touched I go mental at my TV then afterwards have a right laugh with my mate about it. Football on the field has lost it's reputation a little but off the pitch is more a live than ever.

BedsFFC

Quote from: Walsh on August 12, 2012, 11:38:32 PM
Quote from: mr-ska on August 12, 2012, 06:55:58 AM
I still love it.  The banter, the social side, the highs and the lows. Cant wait for next Saturday..  i actually get butterflies think about it.   :scarf:

I'm with Mr Ska on this one, the moaning about diving and what is which makes Football amazing when I see a player go down when he hasn't been touched I go mental at my TV then afterwards have a right laugh with my mate about it. Football on the field has lost it's reputation a little but off the pitch is more a live than ever.

Agree with that. Get the feeling that at some point there may be a turn against the players.

LBNo11

...I agree with much already said, although I still love Fulham I have grown to dislike the premiership, sky, the FA, all the media and huge TV money injections that the players and their agents immediately demand a large cut of whilst us peasants still fund their extravagant lifestyles. Premiership players are becoming like the favoured gladiators of a morally corrupt Roman empire.

I still love football, but prefer to watch the league shows and have started to go to much more amateur football, real grass-roots stuff where there seems to be a purpose and a will to win. These amateurs may not have big talent but they try. Some people love the premiership and are happy that talented people prefer to cheat rather than use their skills, but that is not football to me, if I want to see acting I'll go to the theatre!

I also feel more marginalized as a fan, both of the top flight in general and Fulham in particular, they are, and will forever remain my team, but the passion has waned...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

MJG

One of the reasons also I think a lot of us feel this way is the amount of football now on.
Many of us grew up in the 70's and 80's where you had limited live football and really only highlights on TV.
Now its everywhere, you can't get away from it. It even ambushed the Olympics with yhe one off TeamGB.

Strangely I first felt like I was tired of football after the European final year. I was really jaded by how many games we played and went to. Hughes joining did not help my mood and I pretty much hated that season.
I got the love of live football back last season and with a manager who wants to give youth a chance I feel the future is good.
This season i'll be watching less sky games I think, although i might try and follow one of the overseas lges more closely just for a change of scenery.

TonyGilroy

I see it as an addiction. What's love got to do with it?

MJG

Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 13, 2012, 09:11:02 AM

I see it as an addiction. What's love got to do with it?
I'm an old romantic. But your right it is an addiction and that's an addiction to Craven Cottage and the club.
Mangers, players and fans come and go, but the club is the one constant in my life and has been for 35 years and if I live that long another 35 years im sure.

epsomraver

Quote from: LBNo11 on August 12, 2012, 11:50:53 PM
...I agree with much already said, although I still love Fulham I have grown to dislike the premiership, sky, the FA, all the media and huge TV money injections that the players and their agents immediately demand a large cut of whilst us peasants still fund their extravagant lifestyles. Premiership players are becoming like the favoured gladiators of a morally corrupt Roman empire.

I still love football, but prefer to watch the league shows and have started to go to much more amateur football, real grass-roots stuff where there seems to be a purpose and a will to win. These amateurs may not have big talent but they try. Some people love the premiership and are happy that talented people prefer to cheat rather than use their skills, but that is not football to me, if I want to see acting I'll go to the theatre!

I also feel more marginalized as a fan, both of the top flight in general and Fulham in particular, they are, and will forever remain my team, but the passion has waned...

Feel exactly the same Ed. I have ticket in Hammy end for Norwich game as it is the first, but not sure when I will go again, with costs , like most I will need to pick and choose carefully.