watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Last season, I started falling out of love with football

Started by BedsFFC, August 11, 2012, 11:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedsFFC

Don't get me wrong, I love fulham. God, I went to MK dons and gave charlton fc £5 today to listen to their commentary. I love grass roots football and think every boy and girl should be given the chance to learn and play and join a team.

I've absolutely been blown away by the Olympics, shed a few tears for the courage some have shown. With a big crowd, most of these sports are as exciting and gripping as football.

It's just the last few years, the screaming and swearing at refs, the diving and cheating, the arrogance, the money...it's just starting to get to me. I'd honestly rather watch a local club game of ten year olds than watch a sky gorge fest of say, Liverpool v man city.

I'm looking forward to fulham...but that's about it

Lighthouse

It is not just the play acting. I think the style of football is just dull. Barcelona and Spain are the greatest sides we have watched for years. But would I want to watch that passing and no forward style every week? Even Fulham are passing and playing and then stopping at the penalty area and having a picnic and a gossip before doing anything.  Just a bit dull to watch.

The Olympics were wonderful. The football was refreshing. Mainly because there was little time wasting. The Ladies wanted to score even when they were winning. Little slow passing to waste time. The men wanted to go forward and take chances.

I fear we will have a negative reaction in the Country once the Olympics are over. A common belief I know. After the European Championship and the Tennis and the Olympics. The Prem football will have a hard act to follow.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Admin

I understand where you are coming from. I love Fulham to bits but I have in recent years fallen out of love with the game, especially the Premiership. Like you say, the loyalty, the money, the greed, the diving, silly decisions has ruined something we once loved. Football isn't a game any more, it's a business and the meaning CLUB is slowly being taken away from us as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm so glad where Fulham are today and where we've come over the past few years but as we've become bigger, the fans have been pushed further away and it's a sad situation.  

matt1988

Everyone I know (who actually goes to games and doesn't support Man U or Liverpool through Sky Sports) says this. They hate the attitude of the players, the huge money not being passed down the leagues or in reduced tickets for fans, the piss poor media, punditry and over-hyping of football on TV, dead atmospheres at games, Alan Shearer etc etc etc.

We as fans hold the power, the reason the premier league is such a big draw is partly the crowds and match day earnings still make up quite a bit of a clubs profit. Organised action from fans across the country could actually force football to change.

chiefo

Welcome to my world mate. Had this feeling for last 5 or 6 years. My little old Fulham surviving relegation and Euro trip got me back a bit, but it is this outlandish idea that us fans can be taken for a ride year after year after year.

I also have said many a time over a pint with fellow whites and other club supporters who feel the very same.

Cost of going to a game is up year on year, but the TV deals are going up at every renewal yet the money seems to be leaving our game. The players salaries has become obscene then we have the agents taking their nice bunce out of it.

We've been in the prem for, how many years now is it? And people will still have us believe we owe Mo 100,200,300 million? How would this ever be paid back? Not by us fans of course.

If the product served doesn't have a customer then things need changing.

I'm kind of generalising here, but good to see its not just me.

mr-ska

I still love it.  The banter, the social side, the highs and the lows. Cant wait for next Saturday..  i actually get butterflies think about it.   :scarf:

CorkCity

I usually try to keep these thought to myself as I have been in many an argument with other fans who are blinded by the hype of Sky telling us "it's the best league in the world". When you see players on 60k a week who's first touch looks like they are trying to control a beach ball in a gale force wind, or defenders who look up to make a pass and kick the ball into the stands it all gets a bit disappointing.
I have pretty realistic expectations of our club, we are not a top 6 side.
We are lucky to support Fulham, we are just hanging on to the feel of a friendly family club, with the new development, with more corporate hospitality and the tourist supporter, I fear it could change, and not for the better.
I love Fulham but feel more and more distant from the club as the years go by, the stewards can be very unfriendly, they should take lessons from the olympics.
The fun seems to have gone for me, this is a personal view, I know many fans have great expectations and are excited about the new season, I just don't feel it.

"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

MJG

Quote from: matt1988 on August 12, 2012, 12:06:46 AM
Organised action from fans across the country could actually force football to change.
I so agree with you Matt. The only way the clubs/FA would take any notice is mass boycotts that hit the pocket.
But what would be the subject to do this about? Would the majority of fans take part?
If for example we see diving/cheating from todays season opener and it becomes worse what would/could we do to say enough is enough.
Abuse of the players does not work and not all players it to the extreme that some do. The only way I see any action working is to all turn up a match, but not eneter the ground. Let the game KO without the fans in the ground or a complete boycott. I favor the first option as you know a full boycott would not work.

God it reads as if I have been planning this for a while but I do see this as the only action we the fans could ever really do on mass.

The Bronsons

Things will only change when football becomes less popular. There are relatively few people who go to games and/or follow a club with which they have a real emotional investment. Our point of view is swamped by the huge numbers in China, India, the USA and of course the UK who are excited by the hype and follow Man United and the rest via TV and merchandise. It's them that Sky and the Premier League is interested in, so they set the style for the game.

At a slight tangent, I don't want to hear anyone calling players feigning injury "girls" any more. The Olympics has once again shown that women play the game without any of that nonsense.

King_Crud

i agree, i only renew my membership so I have something to do in the winter. But i find myself disillusioned with everything that goes on in the football world

SouthfieldWhite

I've started to feel the same, I never thought I would if I'm honest as football is a massive part of my life. I don't get paid for none of the stuff I do in football ( my choice) and it takes up a lot of my time, but just recently the things I use to enjoy doing have slowly become a drag

It doesn't help with things like Fulham calling us customers rather than fans, football is a massive business now and money is a major player

I doubt it will change in the near future , in fact it will only get worse

If I feel like this after this season, then this season could well be my last, even at grass roots football my love has dwindled

epsomraver

Quote from: BedsFFC on August 11, 2012, 11:48:46 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love fulham. God, I went to MK dons and gave charlton fc £5 today to listen to their commentary. I love grass roots football and think every boy and girl should be given the chance to learn and play and join a team.

I've absolutely been blown away by the Olympics, shed a few tears for the courage some have shown. With a big crowd, most of these sports are as exciting and gripping as football. 

It's just the last few years, the screaming and swearing at refs, the diving and cheating, the arrogance, the money...it's just starting to get to me. I'd honestly rather watch a local club game of ten year olds than watch a sky gorge fest of say, Liverpool v man city. 

I totally agree with you, for the first time in many many years the family have not got season tickets and will just go to the games that we want to,as a spectator sport football is dying, the crowd want goals, chances, good saves etc not this round and round and backwards possesion is everything we have imported from Europe with Jol

Me-ate-Live, innit??

BedsFFC most supporters feel the same, not just at Fulham   
It's the sitting  !!

Archibald Leitch had the right idea 140 odd years ago, the choice of standing AND sitting. 
As for the the little boys that are call St....ewarts,  don't get me started
most could not hold back a paper bag and are not even interested in the game.  Why not give the job to the fans ( sorry clients/ customers )  provide free First Aid Training and such and a free Season Ticket ???
They will eventually have to Bring back standing or it will die as a spectator sport.

Jack Fulham

Quote from: epsomraver on August 12, 2012, 09:48:03 AM

I totally agree with you, for the first time in many many years the family have not got season tickets and will just go to the games that we want to,as a spectator sport football is dying, the crowd want goals, chances, good saves etc not this round and round and backwards possesion is everything we have imported from Europe with Jol

football is dying as a spectator sport? I'm not sure that is true.

epsomraver

Quote from: KCat on August 12, 2012, 10:21:38 AM
BedsFFC most supporters feel the same, not just at Fulham   
It's the sitting  !!

Archibald Leitch had the right idea 140 odd years ago, the choice of standing AND sitting. 
As for the the little boys that are call St....ewarts,  don't get me started
most could not hold back a paper bag and are not even interested in the game.  Why not give the job to the fans ( sorry clients/ customers )  provide free First Aid Training and such and a free Season Ticket ???
They will eventually have to Bring back standing or it will die as a spectator sport.

Did stewards job, get to the ground 3 hours before kick off, get greasy burger and a coke,  stay till at least 1 hour after game finished no overtime for extra time and penalties at night games, total shift usually 6 -8 hours all for £28 with pay slip and deductions coming from Harrods, Any takers????? Fulham are one of the worst payers around and that includes Mc Donalds   Also you cannot watch the game , I used to but got told I had to  watch the game on TV downstairs, club got told Supporter first, steward second

epsomraver

Quote from: Jack Fulham on August 12, 2012, 11:27:01 AM
Quote from: epsomraver on August 12, 2012, 09:48:03 AM

football is dying as a spectator sport? I'm not sure that is true.

Watch this space, without corporate it is already.

HatterDon

For most of you, I think the basis of your ennui is not so much the football but that you've grown older. There are other things in your life now that are important, and football no longer dominates your life.

Me? I'm like Mr. Ska -- emotionally stuck at 12 years old and, mentally at least, still decorating the walls with football-related posters.

I also remember getting into the ground for much less than a quid and all that, but each year about this time, I can't wait for the season to start. I still get excited when I see the grass [and the rain], and I still find it exhilirating to invest so much time and concern about 30 or so gents I've never met, and performance that won't enrich or deprive me, but is vital to my happiness.

It's not logical; it's not meant to be.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Mr_Moon

Last season I decided to stop watching English football for a couple of months to see if I cared that much. I'll admit I slightly cheated as I did have pre-arranged commitments with two games, but I didn't want to let those people down. I didn't watch any televised English games, I didn't watch any Match of the Day and I only briefly followed what was going on in the news. It was really refreshing actually. The only reason I stopped was because every time there was a game on, my housemates would be watching it in the living room whilst I would be upstairs in my bedroom. Felt slightly antisocial.

I watch quite a lot of club football on the internet. I have my refuge in other leagues, away from the Premier League and again, it is quite refreshing. I can happily sit and watch a match, read all the news I want about said match or league without feeling as though it's all being shoved down your throat and edging nearer to being blase about it all.

I do miss watching Fulham. As I'm regularly living in the North West now I don't manage to see Fulham all that often. This season with less teams in proximity to the North West, I can't see myself making many games, unless we have some cup matches up here. The cost is also a sticking point.

Yesterday I flicked onto the Wembley fc FA Cup match out of interest to see McBride. Seeing an aerial shot of the ground in the sunlight and then footage of fans milling about, having a pint outside the social made me miss watching live football even more.

jarv

I am in agreement with just about every comment on this. We all want to see livee games but there are things happening on the pitch we don't like and the cost/ greed, outrageous. :014:

I have said before, every year on my annual trip home to UK, I take in a game (or two). Been doing that for about 18 years. Never seen Fulham lose (even away).  Last year, I planned around the Liverpool game. They switched it to MONDAY. I was staying on the south coast. So I would have to get home late (on public transport) and flying out on Tuesday made this a non starter. The COST, give me a break....so I have to put myself through all sorts of inconvenience and fork out 50 quid for the pleasure. No thanks.

I went to the local pub, not quite the same. I can watch it on tv at home. I was very disappointed, I love the pilgrimage to CC but please....on a Saturday (or the odd Sunday).