watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dempsey NOT called up for Mexico Friendly

Started by LordNelson, August 12, 2012, 09:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordNelson

"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

LordNelson

"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

EJL

aFFCn_Fan

Obviously Fabio has tapped him up to become Russian  :Get Coat gif:
@hincharoo

btings

There was some talk of this in another thread.  If you look at who else was/wasn't called up (yes: tons of MLS players; no: altidore, boca), I don't think it means much other than that Klinsmann is experimenting and trying to avoid calling up in-season European players he doesn't have to.

(ETA: I'm super-excited that Beitashour finally got a call-up.)

Fletchino

HatterDon

Quote from: LordNelson on August 12, 2012, 09:55:02 PM
Logical, common sense inferences that is!

JK doesn't like the idea of the August international break. He won't use European-based players in a friendly so early in their seasons. He'll use the fixture to figure out who his spear carriers will be going forward. This is the same thing he did last summer.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

BarryP

Quote from: HatterDon on August 13, 2012, 12:11:21 AM

JK doesn't like the idea of the August international break. He won't use European-based players in a friendly so early in their seasons. He'll use the fixture to figure out who his spear carriers will be going forward. This is the same thing he did last summer.

As Don pointed out more eloquently than I, Dempsey's lack of a call up for this match means bupkis either way.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

JBH

Mr Fulham

JK doesn't like the idea of the August international break. He won't use European-based players in a friendly so early in their seasons.

Tim Howard (Everton), Geoff Cameron (Stoke), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Terrence Boyd (Rapid), Fabian Johnson/Danny Williams (both Hoffenheim) and Maurice Edu are in Klinsmann's squad for the friendly.

HatterDon

Quote from: Mr Fulham on August 13, 2012, 08:44:15 PM

JK doesn't like the idea of the August international break. He won't use European-based players in a friendly so early in their seasons.

Tim Howard (Everton), Geoff Cameron (Stoke), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Terrence Boyd (Rapid), Fabian Johnson/Danny Williams (both Hoffenheim) and Maurice Edu are in Klinsmann's squad for the friendly.

Howard is a GK, and has no problem with the extra match/travel. Cameron hasn't reported to Stoke yet. Schalke would love it if Jones got lost in Mexico City and never came back. Edu is in the Scottish 3rd division and won't be there Sept 1, and the others are not starters. Look, instead, at those who are missing: Bocanegra, Dempsey, Onyewu, Altidore, Goodsen, Ream, Holden, Cherundolo, Rogers, Kljestan, Guzan, Lichaj,  Spector -- all play in Europe; all are part of JK's master plan.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: HatterDon on August 13, 2012, 09:04:37 PM
Schalke would love it if Jones got lost in Mexico City and never came back.

Not really, he's a starter there.

HatterDon

Quote from: Mr Fulham on August 13, 2012, 09:05:42 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on August 13, 2012, 09:04:37 PM
Schalke would love it if Jones got lost in Mexico City and never came back.

Not really, he's a starter there.

I think they wanted to kill him most of last season, though. He's an absolute nutter.

Mr Fulham

At some stage, but now he's a very important member of their squad.

BarryP

Quote from: Mr Fulham on August 13, 2012, 08:44:15 PM

Howard and Cameron are the only two names on the list I am mildly surprised to see. For the most part Klinsmann does seem to follow a policy of leaving established US internationals playing in Europe out of friendlies if it will inconvenience their club with a few exceptions.

• Howard is never left off it seems. He should not be flying home for this match in my opinion but I guess he will be.
  • Cameron and Boyd are both fighting to grab both a regular roster spot and regular playing time so I am not surprised that Klinsmann wanted to see what they could do on the road in Mexico.  I am sure Stoke is none to happy about Cameron losing the time but Boyd is five or six weeks into his season so it is just a routine call up for him.
  • Hoffenheim and Schalke don't start until the 25th & 26th so it is an inconvenience but not an insurmountable one and as of late Jermaine Jones seems to be another who is rarely left out of call ups.
  • Edu is playing in the SPL third division so who cares.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."