watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

That was odd... wasn't it?...

Started by General, August 13, 2012, 12:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

OR is it just me? Opening ceremony too was odd now we mention it.

chiefo

Lighthouse

All a bit odd with John Lennon singing Imagine despite this being at the Olympics where the words are almost insulting to the people holding flags  :005:. Still all in all a wonderful few weeks to make us forget about reality.

Now we face the backlash. But I hold my hand up and say the Olympics were better than I expected.

The openning ceremony had a good first half and then a second half that was like a closing Ceremony. All music and dance.

The closing Ceremony was aql music as usual but with Winston Churcill speaking Shakespeare.
New pop stars having to sing some old pop songs and a mish mash of stuff.

Still will miss it.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

bizarrebaz

The message was to support learning, culture and freedom while pointing out religions breed intolerance and wars

TonyGilroy

Quote from: bizarrebaz on August 13, 2012, 09:46:25 AM
while pointing out religions breed intolerance and wars

Apart of course from our own religion, whichever that may be.

epsomraver

Very very good BUT could have done without Annie Lennox on some ghost ship? and Russell brand miming a beatles song.All those clean living athletes listening to George Michael, known Drug taker, Brand known drug taker, is it me?

Lighthouse

The message was to support learning, culture and freedom while pointing out religions breed intolerance and wars

But the Olympics are about Country against Country, person against person. So Imagining there is no Countrys in an Olympics is a bit silly. It is not the song that is hard to understand just why we use it at moments like this.

People breed intolerance and wars by inventing different religions. As a specie we devide ourselves into them and us by borders and houses etc. It would be nice if the Olympics was something different. But it isn't. It is about flag waving etc. So that is why the song is incongruous
when used at a flag waving, person v person event.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Mr_Moon

Quote from: epsomraver on August 13, 2012, 10:00:02 AM
Very very good BUT could have done without Annie Lennox on some ghost ship? and Russell brand miming a beatles song.All those clean living athletes listening to George Michael, known Drug taker, Brand known drug taker, is it me?

I wonder what they made of 'I am the Walrus' which was written on acid.

epsomraver

Quote from: Mr_Moon on August 13, 2012, 10:44:45 AM

Mimed by the right bloke then  :011:

Maidstone Lee

Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

MJG

alfie

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 13, 2012, 10:23:25 AM

But the Olympics are about Country against Country, person against person. So Imagining there is no Countrys in an Olympics is a bit silly. It is not the song that is hard to understand just why we use it at moments like this.

People breed intolerance and wars by inventing different religions. As a specie we devide ourselves into them and us by borders and houses etc. It would be nice if the Olympics was something different. But it isn't. It is about flag waving etc. So that is why the song is incongruous
when used at a flag waving, person v person event.

i absolutely loved the closing ceromony (apart from Annie Lennox never did like her) but i certainly see your point it never occurred to me at the time.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

jarv

Must admit, not a fan of olympics but I did enjoy some, the cycling road race was the best I thought, it held my attention throughout.
Really can't be bothered with the likes of wrestling, boxing, badminton etc.

Next up? Winter olympics......now you're talking (except people doing tricks on snowboards).

Berserker

I do like the winter olympics. I'm hoping to go to the commonwealth games as will be able to commute easily from mothering-law's, also tickets probably be easier to get
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

epsomraver

What sport in the winter olympics is interesting? people going down an icy slope on tea trays, or on planks of wood,  lobbing big stones and sweeping the ice in front, please tell me 086.gif

cebu

As the Olympics approached, I told myself I probably wouldn't pay too much attention to the events, but found myself totally addicted in no time at all. It was a great games for Brits, but there was plenty of other stuff to pique your interest. For me the Jamaican sprinters and 800m gold medalist David Rudisha were up there with Mo Farah and Jess Ennis. I couldn't go and see it live, but even just following it on TV was pretty good.

The opening/closing ceremonies? They're always a bit strange really ... even when other cities host the Olympics!

HatterDon

Quote from: Mr_Moon on August 13, 2012, 10:44:45 AM

I thought it was written on a typewriter. Just goes to show.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

chiefo

Quote from: cebu on August 13, 2012, 01:49:35 PM
As the Olympics approached, I told myself I probably wouldn't pay too much attention to the events, but found myself totally addicted in no time at all. It was a great games for Brits, but there was plenty of other stuff to pique your interest. For me the Jamaican sprinters and 800m gold medalist David Rudisha were up there with Mo Farah and Jess Ennis. I couldn't go and see it live, but even just following it on TV was pretty good.

The opening/closing ceremonies? They're always a bit strange really ... even when other cities host the Olympics!
I'll admit I was same, but we're certainly not on our own there. Would be good if you guv did a poll on that.
That 800 was something else.