News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fellaini... and other famous Belgians...

Started by Gozorich, August 21, 2012, 09:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Patterson

As a half-Belgian, I feel as though I have to pipe up a bit.

We currently have the potential to be one of the better teams in Europe within the next 2 years.  I think what a poster before me said about lack of experience is a big factor for this team.  I think individually they know they're good, but they have to understand the magnitude of what lies ahead.  They have enough names on the sheet to challenge for the next Euro and World Cup if only they can gel together under a playing philosophy as well as narrow down the key members and build said style around their games.

This is it.  The golden generation.  It will never be this good again...let's make it count.

PS:  I cheer very openly and passionately for what is very much my second nationality.  My mother was born there and I hold a citizenship, but that's as far as it goes.  I yearn for the day to cheer for Canada in major competition and hold out hope for positive results...the wait continues.
A Canadian supporting Fulham...wait...what?!

sipwell

No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

HatterDon

Which goes to underscore the quality of players in the Dutch league. We really MUST not sign anyone who plays in that league.

timmyg

What I find fascinating about Belgium is how we've been having this conversation for years.

From 2009: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/oct/07/belgium-world-cup-qualifying
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

HatterDon

Quote from: timmyg on August 22, 2012, 07:55:58 PM
What I find fascinating about Belgium is how we've been having this conversation for years.

From 2009: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/oct/07/belgium-world-cup-qualifying

What I find fascinating is that more than one person on this site feels like talking about Belgium.  :airfix: :airfix:

licker

Mitch

Is it true that a big issue with the team is the language spoken? Some French and some Flemmish (sp?)?

They really need a main striker too, unless Lukaku can really come on leaps and bounds for WC Qualifying.

Mr_Moon

Can't be any worse than having Scouse and Geordie in the dressing room.

sipwell

Quote from: Mitch on August 23, 2012, 11:03:45 AM
Is it true that a big issue with the team is the language spoken? Some French and some Flemmish (sp?)?

They really need a main striker too, unless Lukaku can really come on leaps and bounds for WC Qualifying.

French and Flemish (Dutch) is spoken. Mind you, most Flemish Moroccans speak French as well. Language is not the biggest issue ;-)

Holders

Mr Sipwell.

Out of interest, does Flemish differ from Dutch in any way? That is, is it a dialect or maybe just a regional accent? Are there local words as in the English/German regional accents?

Yellow Jacket

I think Belgium will be a serious player in WC 2014 and Euro 2016.

sipwell

Quote from: Holders on August 24, 2012, 06:06:42 PM
Mr Sipwell.

Out of interest, does Flemish differ from Dutch in any way? That is, is it a dialect or maybe just a regional accent? Are there local words as in the English/German regional accents?

Exactly the same. A bit like American English and British English (accent differences and some other expressions/idioms)

Berserker

can you recommend a holiday dutch/flemish language book mr sipwell for us english speakers
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Holders

I've never studied Dutch but flew KLM last year (and will again in three weeks) and, with a little German, it's amazing how much of the Dutch announcements are quite understandable and not that dissimilar to English. The spelling just makes it look more different.  If it hadn't been for the Norman invasion, the languages would have diverged less.

Berserker

They do beginners german at a college near me, i may do it next term. Can't do it this term as i'm doing a creative writing course.

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Gozorich

Quote from: Berserker on August 25, 2012, 08:38:45 AM
They do beginners german at a college near me, i may do it next term. Can't do it this term as i'm doing a creative writing course.

I know this is a bit like hijacking this thread but then I started it anyway! :005:

I can highly recommend the Creative Writing course at the Open University. I did it for a couple of years and it was very good and surprisingly easy to follow. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Good luck. :wine:

Berserker

Thanks i may do something like that if i do well this term.

- Martin Luther King Jr.