News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Could this be the best forward line we've had since The Promotion Years?

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, August 21, 2012, 05:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhys Lightning 63

I know that it was only the first game, but we have been banging them in during pre-season as well.

So during the promotion years, we had Luis Bo, Hayles, Saha and Malbranque tearing Division 1 to pieces, do any of us think that

Petric
Kacaniklic           Ruiz         Duff

could do the same job?

@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

PaulUMD

Plenty of reasons to be excited about the early going but those guys combined scored about half of Dempsey's total last season.  I expect big things from Ruiz this year, Petric as well if he can stay healthy.  Hard to know what we'll get over the long term with Duffer and Kaca, given their age and lack thereof. 

Apprentice to the Maestro

I am not sure that we are quite at that level in terms of individual players but the fluid style we saw against Norwich and occasionally last season gives us hope that that we can create not chances. And generally more chances means more goals.

Something that was different and positive is that, on several occasions, Petric received the ball, turned and put in an accurate shot and he is prepared to take those shots from distance. He could easily have had another couple of goals. We haven't seen that for some time.

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on August 21, 2012, 05:55:19 PM
I am not sure that we are quite at that level in terms of individual players but the fluid style we saw against Norwich and occasionally last season gives us hope that that we can create not chances. And generally more chances means more goals.

Something that was different and positive is that, on several occasions, Petric received the ball, turned and put in an accurate shot and he is prepared to take those shots from distance. He could easily have had another couple of goals. We haven't seen that for some time.

I don't think any of the players were really 'top draw' that season, it was more of a team effort that year and the team chemistry etc.

Interesting to see if we stick a bid in for Adam Johnson, and how that changes anything

LordNelson

There is no way to know after only one game against a subpar team.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on August 21, 2012, 06:23:43 PM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on August 21, 2012, 05:55:19 PM

I don't think any of the players were really 'top draw' that season, it was more of a team effort that year and the team chemistry etc.

Interesting to see if we stick a bid in for Adam Johnson, and how that changes anything

Saha was probably at a different level (but I have high hopes for Petric).

I agree in both cases it won't be about individuals but how the group plays.

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 21, 2012, 06:48:32 PM
No Malbranque in the promotion team.

Dang, of course he wasn't. That's what lack of sleep does to you

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on August 21, 2012, 05:34:54 PM
I know that it was only the first game, but we have been banging them in during pre-season as well.

So during the promotion years, we had Luis Bo, Hayles, Saha and Malbranque tearing Division 1 to pieces, do any of us think that

and you haven't even mentioned Hugo .............
                      Petric
Kacaniklic           Ruiz          Duff

could do the same job?

And you have not mentioned Hugo !!! ( Duff's a bit old ) ................. but it's looking good

RidgeRider

Quote from: KCat on August 22, 2012, 12:02:02 AM

Petric
Kacaniklic           Ruiz          Duff

could do the same job?

And you have not mentioned Hugo !!! ( Duff's a bit old ) ................. but it's looking good

Good point about Hugo.....and who knows...maybe Dempsey will stay after all or we will get another forward and/or attacking CM.

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: RidgeRider on August 22, 2012, 12:23:16 AM

Petric
Kacaniklic           Ruiz          Duff

could do the same job?

Good point about Hugo.....and who knows...maybe Dempsey will stay after all or we will get another forward and/or attacking CM.

I did base it on the starting line-up from Saturday, for all I know, Dempsey might pull a U-turn and start playing, in which case I could see him playing up top, Petric on the left hand side of the three, with Kacaniklic on the bench. And of course, Hugo could go up top with Petric out left etc

Lighthouse

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Bassey the warrior

If Petric can do anything more than be completely invisible against Man Utd he can be very pleased. He'll struggle to get much service. Our entire game depends on Diarra and Dembele bossing midfield.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on August 22, 2012, 12:36:56 AM
Quote from: RidgeRider on August 22, 2012, 12:23:16 AM

Petric
Kacaniklic           Ruiz          Duff

could do the same job?

I did base it on the starting line-up from Saturday, for all I know, Dempsey might pull a U-turn and start playing, in which case I could see him playing up top, Petric on the left hand side of the three, with Kacaniklic on the bench. And of course, Hugo could go up top with Petric out left etc

Really? Why would Jol play him up front when Petric did so well? Petric has played up front far more often.

Fulham Far East

What about Frei, where will he fit in when he is back from the injury? Subbing for Kaca?

GloucesterWhite

When we have a better line up than Les Barrett, Stevie Earle, and Jimmy Conway then I'll get excited.

cebu

Quote from: Fulham Far East on August 22, 2012, 04:23:51 AM
What about Frei, where will he fit in when he is back from the injury? Subbing for Kaca?

I think it's apparent that Jol wants adequate cover for every position. Kaca and Frei will be constantly competing possibly for the same spot and may the better man win. Competition is good!

TonyGilroy

Quote from: GloucesterWhite on August 22, 2012, 08:26:09 AM
When we have a better line up than Les Barrett, Stevie Earle, and Jimmy Conway then I'll get excited.

Hugely enjoyable players whose greatest success was in the 3rd Division, who coped with the 2nd reasonably well but never flourished in the 1st.

HatterDon

Quote from: GloucesterWhite on August 22, 2012, 08:26:09 AM

I've only seen film of Les Barrett, but from what I've seen, I'd take him over Boa, Steed, and even Duff. Two very good feet -- crossing and shooting -- and great positional sense. I see why there are some on here who idolize him.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel