Main Menu

QPR buying defenders!

Started by JIMMY D, August 22, 2012, 10:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Peacock

Quote from: ffcitaly on August 22, 2012, 12:35:41 PM
Quote from: MJG on August 22, 2012, 10:48:36 AM
Anyone missing Hughes now?
If he left because we would not let him do this, them well done the club for not giving in to his wish to play with the future of our club.

well said. 082.gif

Spot on and not me!
Somewhere in deepest East Surrey
Follow me on twitter @pavo121

MJG

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on August 22, 2012, 01:44:26 PM
QPR are gauranteeing themselves huge problems for the 2013 season, when FFP rules take effect.

Where's the revenue going to come from to justify all these players' salaries?
FFP only really comes in to play if they qualify for europe. Hughes is trying to kick them into a position where they are like us..established.
The money is almost certainly not coming from the gates. But sky money goes up 70% next season.

LordNelson

Maybe they should be buying anti-depressants and new sets of teeth for their cro-magnon-ish fans.   :dead horse:
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: MJG on August 22, 2012, 02:13:39 PM
QPR are gauranteeing themselves huge problems for the 2013 season, when FFP rules take effect.

FFP only really comes in to play if they qualify for europe. Hughes is trying to kick them into a position where they are like us..established.
The money is almost certainly not coming from the gates. But sky money goes up 70% next season.

Ah, didn't realize that it was specific to Euro ball. Thanks.

I "get it" more now. I still say they're going about it wrong though......buying a menagerie instead of building a team IMO. Hughes is a bit of a kid in a candy shop.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: MJG on August 22, 2012, 02:13:39 PM

I guess this means that they are tying up all their upcoming sky money on rank average players

HatterDon

Quote from: ffctom_b on August 22, 2012, 10:13:33 AM
Who cares, they still getting relegated!

A wish dream that is most likely to be unfulfilled. QPR will stay up. Not that I care, really.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Berserker

I believe they will stay up, and possibly finish higher than us. I do think the spending will bite them in the bum though, Sparky must now be on a big wack. He's definitely a man who likes to spend.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

aFFCn_Fan

Hughes is obviously doing what he did with us - 'allowing players to resurrect their career'. He just seems to be doing it a bit too ambitiously, and not mixing in any youth. I'm sure Fernandes is also all for getting in former Prem League big names, they will sell shirts in Asia, which will be a key push for where the club hopes to build a fanbase. This means getting in former/loaned Man U/Scum/Spuds players, who will be recognised with the Asian floating fans, is actually not a bad idea.

I'm glad he is getting Carvalho and Dawson in TBH if it means Aaron Hughes is left off his wishlist - I always had a doubt in the back of my mind when it looked like Senderos was getting the nod ahead of Aaron that we would lose him to the HaHa's.

Sparky now has to get a lot of new teammates to gel. I think he will do it (so long as he isn't sacked/offered a more ambitious role) but it's certainly a very short-term team.
@hincharoo

timmyg

QPR are making Bruce's Sunderland look like they knew what they were doing.

Transfers since in past 13 months:

2011-12 IN
13-Jul-11    Jay Bothroyd    Cardiff City   Free
13-Jul-11    Kieron Dyer   West Ham United   Free
25-Jul-11    Danny Gabbidon   West Ham United   Free
4-Aug-11    DJ Campbell   Blackpool   Undisclosed
10-Aug-11    Brian Murphy   Ipswich Town   Free
11-Aug-11    Bruno Perone    Tombense   Free
26-Aug-11    Joey Barton   Newcastle United   Free
27-Aug-11    Luke Young   Aston Villa   Undisclosed
30-Aug-11    Armand Traoré   Arsenal   Undisclosed
31-Aug-11    Shaun Wright-Phillips   Manchester City   Undisclosed
31-Aug-11    Anton Ferdinand   Sunderland   Undisclosed
26-Jan-12    Nedum Onuoha   Manchester City   Undisclosed
31-Jan-12    Djibril Cissé    Lazio   Undisclosed
31-Jan-12    Bobby Zamora   Fulham   Undisclosed

2011-12 OUT
19-Aug-11    Leon Clarke   Swindon Town   Released
24-Aug-11    Kaspars Gorkšs   Reading   Undisclosed
31-Aug-11    Antonio German   Stockport County   Released
30-Sep-11    Matteo Alberti      Released
14-Oct-11    Alessandro Pellicori      Released
31-Jan-12    Martin Rowlands   Colchester United   Released
31-Jan-12    Petter Vaagan Moen      Released
31-Jan-12    Bradley Orr   Blackburn Rovers   Undisclosed

2012-13 IN
1-Jul-12    Ryan Nelsen    Tottenham Hotspur   Free
1-Jul-12    Andy Johnson    Fulham   Free
1-Jul-12    Robert Green    West Ham   Free
1-Jul-12    Samba Diakité    Nancy   Undisclosed
9-Jul-12    Park Ji-Sung    Manchester United   Undisclosed
27-Jul-12    Junior Hoilett    Blackburn Rovers   Free
17-Aug-12    José Bosingwa    Chelsea   Free

2012-13 OUT
6-Jun-12    Bruno Perone   Released
30-Jun-12    Peter Ramage      Free
30-Jun-12    Danny Shittu       Free
30-Jun-12    Danny Gabbidon   Released
30-Jun-12    Gary Borrowdale      Released
30-Jun-12    Fitz Hall       Free
30-Jun-12    Lee Cook   Released
30-Jun-12    Rowan Vine       Free
30-Jun-12    Patrick Agyemang   Released
11-Jul-12    Paddy Kenny    Leeds United   Undisclosed
13-Jul-12    Ákos Buzsáky      Released
2-Aug-12    Heiðar Helguson    Cardiff City      Undisclosed
22-Aug-12    Matthew Connolly    Cardiff City     Undisclosed   
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

cebu

I dunno, Reading have 8 new signings that have to gel - and they're leading 1-2 at the Bridge. Should have been 1-3!   :011:

aFFCn_Fan

Check this story out, for a very nice summary

QPR's Crippling Lack Of Transfer Imagination

Queens Park Rangers and Mark Hughes got a fortunate second chance to establish themselves in the Premier League. Their transfer policy may put paid to that.

Queens Park Rangers' fans rightly considered themselves dissatisfied at the end of last season. Since the sacking of Neil Warnock on January 8th, the club won just seven of their 21 remaining Premier League games and, due to their final day defeat at Eastlands, QPR survived courtesy of a controversial late Stoke penalty against Bolton. Such is life, however, and this 'great' escape afforded QPR the opportunity to progress and make a definitive imprint on the Premier League that went beyond simply employing its enfant terrible in midfield.

The club's initial fear was a squad that could at best be defined as bloated. As the season ended QPR had forty first team players, a figure that desperately needed reducing, particularly with the enforcement of the Premier League's 25-man squad rule. A genuine clear-out was obviously necessary, and manager Mark Hughes made clear his intentions. "Every club will look at their current staff and what they need to build and get stronger. That means a number of players will go as a result," said Hughes just before the City game.

Even more concerning was the age of the squad, and exactly half of those forty players within the squad were aged thirty or more. Of the side that started the defeat to Manchester City six were the wrong side of thirty, and none of the starting eleven was aged under 25. QPR did not give a single league start to a player under 21 years of age last season, the only top flight side not to do so.

Initially, the club made some headway. Danny Shittu, Fitz Hall, Danny Gabbidon, Lee Cook, Patrick Agyemang and Akos Buzsaky were all allowed to leave on free transfers, and Paddy Kenny and Heidar Helguson dropped down to the Championship for minimal fees.

All looked rosy until Rangers began to bring in replacements. Aside from Junior Hoilett's arrival and making Samba Diakite's loan deal permanent, the club has recruited five players. Ryan Nelsen is 34, Andy Johnson 31, Rob Green 32, Park Ji-Sung 31 and Jose Bosingwa 30. On Wednesday they began talks to enlist Ricardo Carvalho from Real Madrid, another 34-year-old. Carvalho will become the 19th thirty-plus player at Loftus Road. It's almost pipe and slippers time, and QPR's policy has been scorned by many.

Forgetting the weak Dad's Army and QPR OAP gags for a moment, this appears to be a futile exercise in short-termism, and Mark Hughes has sculpted a squad that will need an overhaul within two seasons. Moreover, the swollen nature of the squad has not been addressed. For a team that often fields only one striker (with Jamie Mackie pushed out wide right on Saturday), having Johnson, Cisse, Mackie, Bobby Zamora, Jay Bothroyd, DJ Campbell, Rob Hulse and Tommy Smith on the books falls somewhere between greed and lunacy. Should Carvalho and Michael Dawson sign, in central defence they will have at least six options to choose from.

Mark Hughes' plan to recruit enough Premier League experience to attempt to ensure survival is evident but by no means fool proof, and in addition QPR have added considerably to their wage bill this summer. It is a particularly disappointing approach from Hughes, who remarked after leaving Fulham that "as a young, ambitious manager I wish to move on to further my experiences." Signing ageing players on high wages in a bid to simply survive, looks like anything but 'ambitious'. Given Hughes' underperformance since his appointment, the carte blanche provided by Tony Fernandes is equally confusing. Matt Stanger's Eggert Magnusson comparison in Winners and Losers rings true, and should ring alarmingly for fans.

On Saturday, QPR looked woefully inept against a Swansea side expected by many to find things tougher this season, suffering their worst home defeat in over sixty years. Manchester United recruits Fabio and Park looked lost, and Rob Green displayed his World Cup 2010 form at an inopportune time. Rangers had four players making their debuts, and yet the frailties of last season appeared have been ignored. Another long season potentially awaits.

The saddest aspect of QPR's transfer window is that, unlike many other clubs, it appears that Hughes had a meaningful budget to effect change at Loftus Road. Given a fortunate second chance to establish themselves as a Premier League club after a substandard first season, QPR and their manager have ignored ambition and fancy (not to mention an effective scouting network) in favour of an expensive tunnel vision. They may regret such a lack of imagination.

Daniel Storey - follow him on Twitter
@hincharoo

MasterHaynes

Is the Dawson deal still going through? thought it had hit a snag with Sunderland & Spam coming in now. If Hughes misses out on Dawson I'm sure he will go back for Gallas anyway.

If he does what a dressing room Cisse, Gallas, Tarabt,Derry, Zamorra, Dyer and then to cap it all Barton if he returns - its almost worth going to watch them training and see it all kicking off. Phew close call , thank goodness he had ammbition and moved on.

I certainly cannot see them finishing above us, even if,and its a big if with these personalities, when they eventually gel and play a system effectively it won't be until christmas by which point we should be well clear of them