https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sky Sports understands Fulham are lining up a move for goalkeeper Stelekenburg

Started by PaulJ123, August 22, 2012, 01:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelread

Quote from: Mr Fulham on August 22, 2012, 05:56:20 PM
We don't need another goalkeeper.

Perhaps not, but a signing like that show's a lot of intent. It also shows other players that Fulham mean business. Could be the start of something.

But I do agree to an extent, if we could use that money in other positions, that would be great.

ToodlesMcToot

At least since Roy, we've never been a team to give up many goals. Our defence is more sound than most. We've got one of the best keepers in the PL IMO and an understudy who's proven himself worthy of the chance to replace our #1.

Where we'll gain position in the table is getting more goals, something that has never been something we're known for. We'll rise in the table and earn more money buying players who generate goals. If we can pick up a Douglas along the way and help Mark out, so much the better.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

BalDrick

Quote from: michaelread on August 22, 2012, 06:03:02 PM

Perhaps not, but a signing like that show's a lot of intent. It also shows other players that Fulham mean business. Could be the start of something.

But I do agree to an extent, if we could use that money in other positions, that would be great.

Which is why I think the Dempsey swap thing works so well. He's not interested in staying, Liverpool are going to dick us about till 3 seconds before the window 'slams' shut, American-owned Roma get the player they were apparently first interested in, just works so well on so many levels.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Maybe Jol have a buyer lined up for Stockdale
What is the value of  young English goalkeeper ???

BalDrick

Quote from: KCat on August 22, 2012, 06:22:21 PM
Maybe Jol have a buyer lined up for Stockdale
What is the value of  young English goalkeeper ???

Implying he wouldn't be replacing Schwarzer? I'd say he'd be the one to go - Skeleton isn't going to sit on the bench is he?
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

mccscratch

Quote from: BalDrick on August 22, 2012, 06:14:57 PM
Quote from: michaelread on August 22, 2012, 06:03:02 PM

Which is why I think the Dempsey swap thing works so well. He's not interested in staying, Liverpool are going to dick us about till 3 seconds before the window 'slams' shut, American-owned Roma get the player they were apparently first interested in, just works so well on so many levels.

Roma have never been interested in Clint... it simply lazy journos putting American owners with American player...

I see no need for us to strengthen the GK position... yes I highly rate Stek but I also somewhat rate Stock.... we should be spending any money we have on a strong goal scoring center forward.
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

White Noise

Jol has said he wants to bring the average age of the squad down. Schwarzer is the oldest player by 7 or 8 years. Schwarzer is a top class player and a medical marvel but relying on him staying fit and maintaining his performance level is surely giving a big hostage to fortune.

Jol wanted to keep Murphy but essentially told him he would be phasing him out and he would not be guaranteed a starting place this season. Maybe Jol sees it as appropriate risk management to do the same with Schwarzer?

So why not Stockdale as the transitional choice? He has been with the club a while and maybe he hasn't kicked on as the club hoped. Or maybe there is a perceived opportunity with the Dutchman to get in a high quality late twenties international goalkeeper who hadn't appeared available before? Jol is trying to build the best, most flexible and most robust side possible and maybe he rates the Dutchman much more highly than Stocko? He has to be pragmatic and has to take chances when they are there. The succession in goal appears to be an issue and maybe Jol had no involvement in the Stockdale contract extension?

Fulham are one of the top 30 or 40 clubs in Europe by results, revenue etc and Jol is looking to achieve regular European football. Does Stockdale have the potential to be one of the best 30 or 40 keepers?

White Noise

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/august/22/mr-reliable

Mr Reliable

Wednesday 22 August 2012 14:53

Mark Schwarzer's appearance in Saturday's victory over Norwich City meant that the Australian stopper has now performed in 16 of the 21 Premier League campaigns in the competition's history.

It's a statistic that can only be matched by an elite group of footballers but Mark has always remained humble regarding his undeniable accomplishments.

"I suppose it's because of the appreciation of what you've got and what a great life we have, and what a great job I have," the 'keeper explained. "So it's that appreciation of what I do and not taking it for granted I think that is probably the key for me the older I've got, and wanting to make the most of it."

Since making his debut for Bradford City as a 24-year-old in November 1996, Mark has gone on to make hundreds of appearances between the sticks on English soil and our No.1 admits that he has seen the game change considerably during his time in the UK.

"I think the whole standard has improved dramatically from when I first arrived in 1996," Mark said. "I think the professionalism of the clubs has just gone through the roof. It has had to, I think, with the influx of foreign players.

"There was such a gap in the way foreign players trained and lived their life as a footballer in comparison to British players back then. But things have evolved tremendously and I think that definitely helped the game in this country.

"Some would argue that maybe it's halted the growth of some of the British players coming through, but I think on the contrary. I think it's actually helped a lot of the players improve and become world class players as a result of the influx of top quality footballers that have come to this country."

Schwarzer is now one of the Club's longest-serving current players and while the 39-year-old has enjoyed nothing other than success during his time in SW6, he remains eager to help his Team continue to grow as a Premier League force.

"This is my fifth season at the Club and in the four seasons I've been here we've been in the top ten three out of those four times," Mark stated. "And the one time we weren't, we made the Europa League final so that wasn't a bad consolation.

"So we want to continue to establish ourselves as a top ten team and show that it has not just been a good couple of seasons for us. Hopefully there will be a lot more to come in the future.

"We're a Club that deserves the right to have been in the Premier League for as long as we have been. We are a family orientated Club who play in a very traditional stadium - which I think the league needs.

"Time and time again we have proven we can mix it with the best teams and have had some fantastic results every season against the best sides in the country which goes to show that we fully deserve to be in the league we are in." 

valdeingruo

Stockdale has been great every time he has played for us. He has been waiting in the wings for years now and doesn't complain and has patiently waited for his spot, even returning to the bench when Mark became fit again.

I don't believe that Roy didn't take him because he doesn't rate him, I think it was more of a not playing deal. Football is all about reactions and if you haven't played competitively in 6 months you're bound to be a bit slower than when you play week in and out.

Fulham have always had quality keepers over the past few years, especially the Premiership years. If he comes then so be it, would be an amazing signing. However it would definitely be the end of Stockdales career on the Thames.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Ordar

Stekelenburg is miles ahead of Stockdale in terms of quality. The age game between them is 3 years. You don't pass up the opportunity to sign a world class goalkeeper if he becomes avaliable. Yes he'd be replacing Schwarzer, which will need doing in the summer anyway.

I'm bemused why anyone would think Stockdale is remotely close in terms of ability to Stekelenburg.

If we get him, Douglas and another CF, keeping Dembele, then Jesus we have a team

PaulJ123

From what I've seen from Stockdale, I think he has the majority of the attributes to be a prem keeper. Saying this though, whenever he starts I never have full trust in him, I dont know why this is but I have always felt a lot safer with schwarzer playing and would always have him starting when hes fit.

In my opinion, the signing of Stekelenburg would be a massive lift for us fans and the club to get a genuinely world class player in (similar to when we got VDS). I dont think Stockdales ever gonna be a top keeper, only a solid backup. I wish him all the best but I hope hes never our out and out keeper, can see him settling in the the championship in a few years time

zander

A couple of interesting bits on the Stekelenburg situation. Firstly his agent came out this week stating he'd demand to leave if Roma signed another keeper and current rumours have them in advanced talks over Uruguayan keeper Mauro Goicoechea.

However there are conflicting rumours that Stekelneburg requires shoulder surgery hence why Roma are looking to add at the position.

Only speculation so take it all as rubbish until something actually happens!

Oiseau

Quite. If there's any position that I'm confident we've got covered, it's in goal. I could understand if they were going for a younger keeper in the event of Stockdale leaving/threatening to leave but Stekelenburg certainly isn't a Stockdale replacement...

Stekelenburg is a super keeper. He won't be content to warm our bench and he seems a little surplus to requirements when we've got Schwarzer.

I also think that Krul has the potential to be just as good a keeper as Stekelenburg in time, if not better in the right conditions. Vorm isn't too shabby, either. Then again, I'm a bit biased and a massive Krul fan.

Ordar

I can only presume some people on here have never seen Stekelenburg play or are just trolling...

Utterly mind boggling comparisons.

Can't get over it.

Stekelenburg is 29, which is not old. He's also the Dutch number 1, Krul (who Newcastle would never sell) is number 2 and Vorn is number 3.

He is one of the best 5 goalkeepers in the world. To say Stockdale is a better option is utterly rediculous

TonyGilroy

Steklenburg's 29. 3 years older than Stockdale but 11 years younger than Schwarzer.

If, somehow, we could get him at a reasonable price, we should even though I'd be happy to stick with Schwarzer for the time being.

Goalkeeper though ought to be the last position we're strengthening. It shouldn't be at the expense of a striker and central midfielder.

Same applies for Douglas. If those two are coming it means we have serious money to spend.

Mitch

Quote from: Ordar on August 22, 2012, 07:29:29 PM
I can only presume some people on here have never seen Stekelenburg play or are just trolling...

Utterly mind boggling comparisons.

Can't get over it.

Stekelenburg is 29, which is not old. He's also the Dutch number 1, Krul (who Newcastle would never sell) is number 2 and Vorn is number 3.

He is one of the best 5 goalkeepers in the world. To say Stockdale is a better option is utterly rediculous

Completely agree. I think Stockdale's great attitude and nationality blinds us; He's OK to good, but Stekelenburg is a different gravy.

ElissonSnygg

Stekelenburg was close joining United last year, that says a lot. Yes we maybe are'nt in the need of a goalkeeper atm but if Jol sees an oppurtunity to take him - I really don't see why not.
Official board member of the Swedish Supporter Club - FFC Sweden.

Twitter: @ElissonSnygg

L-Wizzy

One of the best keepers I've seen, could be on level or even a higher level that swartz
Twitter: @officialslimwiz

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Ordar on August 22, 2012, 02:42:54 PM
Quote from: Jack Fulham on August 22, 2012, 02:38:26 PM
Quote from: sipwell on August 22, 2012, 02:00:58 PM
Don't think he is the best goalkeeper at reasonable prices at the moment. He is unchallenged in the Dutch goal.

Vorm? Krul?

Stelekenburg is sooooooo much better than the 2 you mentioned...

Stockdale is on par with Vorm and Krul, Stelekenburg is world class.

Would be a fantastic (young) signing, but cant see it happening, although if we sign him, Eduardo and Douglas, I will be thrilled!
Stockdale isn't on par with Vorm or Krul. They along with Cech are the best keepers in the league.

aussierod

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on August 22, 2012, 04:51:25 PM
NO NO NO NO NO. We have a really promising keeper in Stockdale that is ready to take the #1 jersey away from Mark when he goes (hopefully this season). Don't get me wrong I love Schwarzer, but we need Stockdale to give us a consistent #1 for the next 15 years or so.

I'm amazed that Stocko hasn't handed in a transfer request at this point. Being #2 for the best part of 5 years and then when he gets settled in the first team, Mark come straight back in.

I love this, Stockdale will play for us for the next 15yrs lol, if he played for us for 5yrs as a starting keeper then I'd be absolutely amazed, 1) being the fact that if he was any good and him being English, another club will buy him off us 2) if he's not good enough, then we would sell him or replace him.

Stockdale is a good young keeper, absolutely, but as someone else pointed out, I do not feel confident in him, and I can guarantee if we as fans feel that way then the players will also (if you've played football at any level, you will know what its like playing with a keeper you trust completely and one you just trust to make some saves).

IF we got Stelekenberg, in my opinion, thats a step up on Mark, Stockdale can go out on loan and if we want to sell him or he wants to go, so be it, we will be much better off getting say 3-4yrs out of a world class keeper (eg what we did with VDS) than having 5-6yrs with a good, upcoming keeper
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts