watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sky Sports understands Fulham are lining up a move for goalkeeper Stelekenburg

Started by PaulJ123, August 22, 2012, 01:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulJ123

"@SkySportsPeteO: Sky Sports understands Fulham are lining up a move for Roma goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg.#FFC"

Admittedly, i dont think this will ever happen but what a coup it would be!
Would be sad to see Stockdale go and ply his trade elsewhere which he surely would do as he'd be down to third choice which we all know is below him and should be a first choice for someone

sipwell

Don't think he is the best goalkeeper at reasonable prices at the moment. He is unchallenged in the Dutch goal.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

The King

One of my favourite goalies at the moment, along with Akinfeev. Would love this to happen, but sadly, can't see it.

Jack Fulham

Quote from: sipwell on August 22, 2012, 02:00:58 PM
Don't think he is the best goalkeeper at reasonable prices at the moment. He is unchallenged in the Dutch goal.

Vorm? Krul?

Ordar

Quote from: Jack Fulham on August 22, 2012, 02:38:26 PM
Quote from: sipwell on August 22, 2012, 02:00:58 PM

Vorm? Krul?

Stelekenburg is sooooooo much better than the 2 you mentioned...

Stockdale is on par with Vorm and Krul, Stelekenburg is world class.

Would be a fantastic (young) signing, but cant see it happening, although if we sign him, Eduardo and Douglas, I will be thrilled!

Rhys Lightning 63

NO NO NO NO NO. We have a really promising keeper in Stockdale that is ready to take the #1 jersey away from Mark when he goes (hopefully this season). Don't get me wrong I love Schwarzer, but we need Stockdale to give us a consistent #1 for the next 15 years or so.

I'm amazed that Stocko hasn't handed in a transfer request at this point. Being #2 for the best part of 5 years and then when he gets settled in the first team, Mark come straight back in.

I remember back in 04/05, Mark Crossley had a blinder at Newcastle and he was in the side for a good month after that, even though EVDS was undisputed #1. I think it's disgraceful that Mark can walk straight back into the team when Stocko has a great run of games
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

zander

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on August 22, 2012, 04:51:25 PM
NO NO NO NO NO. We have a really promising keeper in Stockdale that is ready to take the #1 jersey away from Mark when he goes (hopefully this season). Don't get me wrong I love Schwarzer, but we need Stockdale to give us a consistent #1 for the next 15 years or so.

I'm amazed that Stocko hasn't handed in a transfer request at this point. Being #2 for the best part of 5 years and then when he gets settled in the first team, Mark come straight back in.

I remember back in 04/05, Mark Crossley had a blinder at Newcastle and he was in the side for a good month after that, even though EVDS was undisputed #1. I think it's disgraceful that Mark can walk straight back into the team when Stocko has a great run of games

I agree with you about Stockdale, a gk is really not a priority at the moment especially with Stockdale waiting to take over from Mark. Of course this depends on how Jol views Stockdale if he dose'nt seem him as the long term replacement then he could be looking at adding someone.

That said I'd be surprised if it was Stekelenburg. He's only been at Roma 1 season and it would cost a fair bit to tempt him away especially as Roma are not actively looking to move him.

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: zander on August 22, 2012, 05:09:02 PM
Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on August 22, 2012, 04:51:25 PM

I agree with you about Stockdale, a gk is really not a priority at the moment especially with Stockdale waiting to take over from Mark. Of course this depends on how Jol views Stockdale if he dose'nt seem him as the long term replacement then he could be looking at adding someone.

That said I'd be surprised if it was Stekelenburg. He's only been at Roma 1 season and it would cost a fair bit to tempt him away especially as Roma are not actively looking to move him.

Maybe Jol isn't that keen on him, that's why he kept Etheridge behind last year and sent David out on loan
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on August 22, 2012, 05:16:51 PM

Maybe Jol isn't that keen on him, that's why he kept Etheridge behind last year and sent David out on loan
Ehhhrrrmm...that shows that he wants Stockdale to get regular pitch time.

Pitch time at Ipswich > Bench at Fulham

DJinNJ

I thought signing a four year extension last year indicated that Stockdale was willing to wait out Schwarzer. I highly doubt anyone promised he'd be the #1 by now as a condition of him signing the extension, so he should be content for now. If we go and get a world class keeper who's not much older than him then he may want to move on, but we'd be crazy not to take Stekelenburg if we had the chance, doubtful as it is.

michaelread

Well, this is now three managers who didn't think Stockdale was ready to take the leap into starting goalkeeper. The first of those three did not think he was worthy of another England call up for the Euros.

In my opinion, Stockdale isn't as wonderful of a keeper as people think he is. He's probably very good, but Stekelenburg is a massive step up.

I think his nationality often blinds fans. If we can improve dramatically on a position...why is that a bad thing? Stockdale is a good premier league keeper. Stekelenburg is a good International keeper. There's a massive difference.

fulhamben

Quote from: michaelread on August 22, 2012, 05:34:27 PM
Well, this is now three managers who didn't think Stockdale was ready to take the leap into starting goalkeeper. The first of those three did not think he was worthy of another England call up for the Euros.

In my opinion, Stockdale isn't as wonderful of a keeper as people think he is. He's probably very good, but Stekelenburg is a massive step up.

I think his nationality often blinds fans. If we can improve dramatically on a position...why is that a bad thing? Stockdale is a good premier league keeper. Stekelenburg is a good International keeper. There's a massive difference.
sorry mate but did you see the 2 back up keepers roy did take. you can hardly call that sound judgement.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

fulhamben

and as to him joining im sticking with my rule of thumb. and this goes for douglas too. if a player is good, excites us and has been linked wih us, then he isnt coming. stick with this rule and a heartache it will save you
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

BalDrick

Straight swap for Dempsey? To quote Keegan, I would love it, just love it
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Steven Ageroad

WHY??

If Stockdale goes out on loan this season, Stelekenburg won't want to sit on the bench. Then if next season Stockdale becomes No.1, again Stelekenburg won't sit on the bench.

Can't see the reasoning behind it, unless Jol has some master plan up his sleeve.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: BalDrick on August 22, 2012, 05:42:17 PM

That would be incredibly pointless.

BalDrick

He'd replace Schwarzer wouldn't he? Okay another few years of being #2 for Stockers - personally can't shake the feeling if Stockers was going to make it, he'd have done so by now - but it's an upgrade on what we have now.

Quote from: Mr Fulham on August 22, 2012, 05:51:30 PM
Quote from: BalDrick on August 22, 2012, 05:42:17 PM

That would be incredibly pointless.

Why? Jol is going to play Ruiz in the Dempsey role this season clearly, I don't think Jol has any plans for playing Dempsey at all. We'd upgrade a position that's starting to need to be upgraded, we'd get shot of our wantaway player without being seen to lower our asking price and those thieving scousers would miss out. Everyone's a winner. Well everyone not connected with Liverpool Football Club.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

TWFL

100% agree. Stockdale is decent but Stekelenburg is incredible. Would much rather Stekelenburg, a young (in keepers terms) proven keeper with potential sell on value, came in and took Mark's place as well. If you get the chance to sign a world class player you don't turn it down.

michaelread

Quote from: fulhamben on August 22, 2012, 05:38:44 PM

sorry mate but did you see the 2 back up keepers roy did take. you can hardly call that sound judgement.

he took a seasoned backup (i know he's terrible) and a young up and comer for the experience. If he thought that Stockdale was worth the time, he would have taken him. He didn't, and Roy would be the best judge of his ability that I could think of.

Stockdale isn't good enough. If he was, he would have made the jump to no.1 by now, or someone would be knocking down our door to get him from us. He hasn't, they haven't, says it all really.