watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mods and rockers rap Dempsey

Started by NogoodBoyo, August 22, 2012, 11:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NogoodBoyo

...Berserker's gone berserk in making an outrageously sensible comment when she locked one of the Dempty threads. "....the debate's gone round and round in circles", she said.
Brilliant! 
FACT.  Or was that Sarah Brooks quoting Jol?  Or Jol  answering a Brooks question only to back-track the next day on something he never said.
O Iesu bois bach, who's going to be in the team on Saturday then?  And don't you think Senderos is definitely better than Hughes?
Nogood "Opinionman, isit" Boyo

Lighthouse

Should we lock threads? I think we need a debate that goes on and on and on until somebody loses their temper and somebody else comes and makes a comment nobody understands and it should go on for many many pages.

Kevin Locke could take a good penalty though.

:plus one:  096.gig  I feel a pointless icon was needed as well.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

chiefo

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 22, 2012, 11:56:07 PM
Should we lock threads? I think we need a debate that goes on and on and on until somebody loses their temper and somebody else comes and makes a comment nobody understands and it should go on for many many pages.

:plus one:  096.gig  I feel a pointless icon was needed as well.
Oh yes, fond memories of golden locks stepping up. Top left keeper!! 082.gif

BarryP

Speaking of top left keepers, how many left handed keepers has Fulham had that you can recall?
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

NogoodBoyo

Thank the lord yn y nefoydd that some people have a sense of perspective and a sense of humour about this.  It's beginning to get really tedious without those two attributes.
Nogood "who cares other than those who care too much, isit" Boyo

nevzter

Speaking of left-handed guitarists, what'll ya have (bass included)?  Obviously, Jimi, but others?...  I'll steal McCartney.
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

HatterDon

Quote from: nevzter on August 23, 2012, 05:40:21 AM
Speaking of left-handed guitarists, what'll ya have (bass included)?  Obviously, Jimi, but others?...  I'll steal McCartney.

:HD:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

nevzter

Quote from: HatterDon on August 23, 2012, 05:44:58 AM
Quote from: nevzter on August 23, 2012, 05:40:21 AM

:HD:

I politely recant, sir lefty from S.A.    :HD:
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

sunburywhite

I remember an episode in Roy of the Rovers where Melchester were due to play this team that had a keeper who had never conceeded a penalty. There was a prematch meal and they had a guess the weight of the turkey competition. Well, Roy handed this turkey to the oposition goalkeeper and he took it with his left hand.
Lo and behold when they cam to play the match Melchester got a penalty so Roy hit it to the keepers right (knowing he was left handed) and of course he scored to win the game.
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Nero

Quote from: sunburywhite on August 23, 2012, 06:33:59 AM
I remember an episode in Roy of the Rovers where Melchester were due to play this team that had a keeper who had never conceeded a penalty. There was a prematch meal and they had a guess the weight of the turkey competition. Well, Roy handed this turkey to the oposition goalkeeper and he took it with his left hand.
Lo and behold when they cam to play the match Melchester got a penalty so Roy hit it to the keepers right (knowing he was left handed) and of course he scored to win the game.

Is this what the Germans do before any World Cup or European Championship and will it be taught at new national football centre if so I may put a bet on England for the 2020 World Cup

sunburywhite

You will have to buy a turkey first (Marlet does not count as a turkey)
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

cmg

Quote from: Nero on August 23, 2012, 07:06:34 AM
Quote from: sunburywhite on August 23, 2012, 06:33:59 AM

Is this what the Germans do before any World Cup or European Championship and will it be taught at new national football centre if so I may put a bet on England for the 2020 World Cup

What did you think the Motspur Park chickens were for?
That Jol doesn't miss a trick.

...and on the subject of plucking (you heard)...my vote for southpaw guitar plucker would go to the late Albert King.

Lighthouse

I am sure there was a goalkeeper character from the comic TV Tornado that was called Doughnut Donavon because he used to eat said delite during the game. Or Donut Donavon if you come from one of our colonies.

Tv Tornado and TV 21 were incorperated at one time. I miss really good comics. The Sun and The Guardian just don't cut it with me.

I think the guitarists that are spawns of the devil (left handed) should be left to play the devils music. Look beyond  Jimi Hendrix and Hatter Don and you find the delights of the evil sinner.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FC Silver Fox

Don't know about left-handed keepers but we've had a few cack-handed keepers.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

cmg

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 23, 2012, 09:37:31 AM
I am sure there was a goalkeeper character from the comic TV Tornado that was called Doughnut Donavon because he used to eat said delite during the game. Or Donut Donavon if you come from one of our colonies.

Tv Tornado and TV 21 were incorperated at one time. I miss really good comics. The Sun and The Guardian just don't cut it with me.

I think the guitarists that are spawns of the devil (left handed) should be left to play the devils music. Look beyond  Jimi Hendrix and Hatter Don and you find the delights of the evil sinner.

Now, I wouldn't dream of trying to look beyond HD - even if that were possible.
However, I do remember a goalkeeper from a bygone comic (Wizard, I think) called Bouncing Briggs ("Who only lost one goal") he was a scrap-metal man, trained on tripe and onions and drove a motor-bike with a bath as a sidecar. Dunno if he was a lefty; sounds like he should have been.

sunburywhite

Alf Cook, a scrap metal merchant in the Midlands town of Bradstoke, was in his yard, which was situated between a railway yard and the gasworks, when he heard a rattling and clanking in the street. The noise struck him as familiar.

"It can't be Bernard, surely," he muttered. "He dumped his old bike in a quarry!" The noise became pronounced, and Bernard Briggs, who earned his living as a general dealer and kept goal as an amateur for Bradstoke Town, turned into the yard. He was in the saddle of an ancient belt-driven motor-cycle, and the side-car was an old bath. Bernard stopped his bike. "So you fished it out again," said Cook. "Blooming Ada, it wasn't half a job," replied Bernard. "The water was deeper than I thought I could have done with a frogman's hat." Bernard had experienced a great deal of trouble with the machine, and, because everything had seemed set to get a new one, he had run it over the edge of a claypit to get rid of it. But things hadn't turned out as expected, and at the last moment he hadn't been able to find the cash to buy a new combination. So the old one had had to be retrieved from the pit. "I'm surprised you were able to mend it!" exclaimed Cook. Cook looked into the bath side-car. It contained a quantity of small scrap, most of it red with rust. "That looks poor stuff, Bernard," he remarked. "Ay, it ain't first class," admitted Bernard, a frown on his rugged face. "I've done so much clearing up round here there ain't much left. I reckon I'll have to seek pastures new." "Before you unload, there's a bit of information you can give me," said Cook. "What time will half-time be tomorrow?" Bernard gave Cook an astonished stare. The latter was an enthusiastic pigeon fancier. He had no time for football. Yet, Bradstoke Town Football Club, once regarded as the worst team in the North Section of the Third Division, had reached the Cup semi-finals, and on the following afternoon played Blacksea Rangers on the neutral ground of Aston Albion. That the town should have gone so far was because Bernard, often called Bouncing Briggs, by reason of his agility, had not given away a goal. In fact, never in his career, so far, had he done so! "Well, wonders will never cease, Alf!" Bernard exclaimed. "I never thought you'd get roused about football." "I ain't roused now," retorted Cook. He drew a deep breath. "About a dozen members of our Pigeon Racing Club are going to the match," he explained, "and they'll take birds with them, see? The idea is to make a race of it. The pigeons will be released at half-time, and the first 'un reaching its loft with the half-time score will win the race, the sweepstake and any side-bets." A grin appeared on Bernard's ugly face. "Now I get the notion!" he exclaimed. "The kick-off is at three o'clock and you should allow two or three minutes for stoppages," Bernard said. "I should say the ref. Will blow his whistle about three forty-seven or forty-eight." "Okay," said Cook. "Which bird is the favourite?" asked Bernard. "One of mine, Cock-eye," replied the fancier. "My son is going to the match and will release it. You'll know the bird if you see it, because it has a white ring round one of its eyes." I'll look out for it, Alf," said Bernard earnestly. Bernard unloaded the scrap, and, as it was a Friday, Cook settled with him for his recent deliveries. After leaving the yard, Bernard rode to the cooked meat shop of Syd Potter. The latter followed the Town through thick and thin. Syd had an early copy of the evening paper spread on the counter. "Blacksea have picked their team," he said as Bernard shambled in. "There was some doubt as to whether their centre-forward, Templewaite, would be fit," said Potter.

sunburywhite

Perhaps we should call our reserve left back Bouncing Briggs

cmg

Bloody hell, Sunburywhite, where did you get that? The very man. The piece must be at least 50 years old.

I don't recall whether we ever found out about the one goal Briggs did let in. (I probably discovered girls, or beer, or both before then and lost interest in Bouncing Briggs). I don't think Town ever made it to Wembley (hope I'm not spoiling the story for anyone). I think Briggs was (mistakenly) arrested by the police at half-time in the semi!

sunburywhite

http://www.britishcomics.20m.com/bernard1.htm

What aboutAlf Tupper Tough of the track who would turn up after working as a welder