watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

State of play

Started by BishopsParkFantastic, August 27, 2012, 04:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BishopsParkFantastic

This is my first contribution to this forum, having been a regular reader of the FoF daily Fulham stuff. I'm a Fulham fan since the 1958/59 season, when my dad took me to see Fulham play Derby in the days of Haynes, Mullery, Lowe and Jimmy Hill et al - our promotion year to the olde divison 1. I remember, aged 9, standing on the terracing in front of the 'Johnny Haynes' stand in a packed ground, with children being passed over the heads of people to reach the front to get a better view! For me, this was one of the most memorable matches I've been to, alongside both of Fulham's  semi-final FA cup matches against Birmingham (1976) and recent semi-final victory in the Europa cup over Hamburg. Favourite player of all time: the maestro Johnny Haynes. Every home match day, from the age of 9 of would run all way down to the ground from my home off Putney Hill, so that I could get to the perimeter fence to get the best, unimpeded view of Johnny Haynes at work. Favourite forward line of all time: Earle, Clarke and Barrett. Best player buy: Alan Clarke (from Walsall); worst player sale: Supermac to Luton (as a full back, sic); best years: the 1960's (massive crowds, great players, exciting Fulham team) in olde division one and our move back to Craven Cottage; lost years: when I refused to go to Loftus Road; worst of times: the Bulstrode years.

I think these are hugely exciting times for Fulham: Quality in depth premier squad of players; proposed new stand and increased ground capacity; great young players' set up with international talent coming through; progressive team structure and manager in Martin Jol. This year, my hopes for Fulham to achieve at least a top 10 finish with successful cup runs - next year, with completion of new stand, to get into the Europa league proper.

I understand that people must be bored with all the transfer talk about Clint Dempsey and (to a lesser extent) on Moussa Dembele; however, I'm sorry but my only words on Clint and Moussa (in advance of Friday's transfer deadline) topic are:

On Clint
Quote from the 'Said & Done' column in the Observer (Sunday 26.8.12): 'Best philosophy: Fulham's Clint Dempsey – speaking three months before allegedly "going on strike" after they blocked a move to Liverpool: "If (a transfer) is meant to be, it will be. What I do is focus on the teams that I play for and five my heart to them, work as hard as I can to make the most of my time and make the most of the career I have left."

I think Clint has (unfortunately) contributed to the current situation. In my view, transfer needs to happen now, probably to Sunderland or Liverpool - hopefully for at least £7.5m.

On Moussa
I believe Moussa to be a product of Mark Hughes' short term transfer and team building philosophy, i.e. signed with a release clause fee of £15! I think Moussa is an exciting, strong and skilful midfield player; however, I do not think his performances are consistent enough from match to match, or sustained enough for 90 minutes in individual games to make him a great player. Reluctantly,in my view, transfer needs to happen now, probably to Spurs – hopefully for at least £15m.

Transfers in
With £22.5m (from Clint and Moussa) + £1.5m (from Etuhu)  = £24m
I would like to see us secure:
Stelekenburg
Douglas
Chadli
Benayoun (loan)

I think it's a real shame we didn't get Lukaku on loan. I currently live in Huddersfield, and have listened to Town supporters. I definitely would not pay over £5m for Rhodes. My view is that we should give Trotta an opportunity as back-up striker and, if necessary, go for Rhodes in the January window if he shows consistent goal-scoring form in the Championship.

I think all of the above transfers would give us player strength and creativity in midfield, provide long term quality investment in our defence. What we need is more options up front, to include a big, strong and dynamic goal scorer!

I'm looking forward to my next two Fulham matches against Sheffield Wednesday and West Brom (welcome back Gera!). COYW

Steve_orino

Mr. BPF, it is supporters such as yourself, who have seen Fulham play over the past 40, 50, 60 years that I enjoy reading the most.  As a new-comer to this Club, your insight to Fulham's past in considered invaluable - welcome to FoF.

Great first post...if we were to bring in those 4, I'd have no problem losing both Dem's

Up the Whites!
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

cebu

Welcome aboard sir - I see you've ben following Fulham even longer than I have.

Might I suggest that you copy the text of your posting into this thread:

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=7313.255

That way it won't get effectively lost over time - and you get the benefit of losing your Michael Jackson status at the same time.  

Logicalman

Welcome ... feel free to impart such memories, gives the old-timers here something to dwell on and fill in the gaps the medication seems to have removed (myself included)  065.gif

ffcitaly

welcome on fof.it's great to read posts of such experienced supporters.
082.gif

The Bronsons

Thanks for a great post. Was feeling a bit down after losing tonight against Wednesday and then hearing the news re. Dembele and Spurs. This puts it in perspective, though: tonight's worries are a gnat's fart compared to the Bulstrode years.

Burt

Welcome to the board sir!