watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Clint Dempsey's Cult Hero status.....

Started by Jambo, September 04, 2012, 04:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jambo

Just want to throw this up for discussion.  In our (FoF) HoF Clint was voted in as a cult hero, I remember at the time people saying that current players should not be considered until they leave or retire.  Having left the way he did has this effected this status and how he is seen by us fans???  

changed the 'y' to a 't' on cult (I hope that was the right word interpretation)
We all see the game differently, FoF has taught me that.

@jambohunt

http://jameshuntbw.blogspot.co.uk/

JBH

It has for me Im affraid, he showed a total lack of class  096.gig

Andy_M

Quote from: JBH on September 04, 2012, 04:36:16 PM
It has for me Im affraid, he showed a total lack of class  096.gig
:plus one:  096.gig
@got_maile

LBNo11

....it will depend as ever on the individual, and we are all fickle to some extent. Clint was my favourite player and made such a difference for us and worked hard to get and keep his place with so many manager changes and improved year on year and scored important goals.

Nobody on this message board knows for sure that he refused to play, so until he confirms it I reserve judgement.

Cult hero status usually depends on what generation saw him play without having experienced previous players to compare against, so most of the newer fans will more likely remember him as a significant player for us in the last 5,5 years, which in this days and age is probably the equivalent of 10 years - ten years ago!

I was upset with Steeed and with Saha for how they left even though the reasons they both left was largely just speculation too. Fickle me...

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Andy_M

I will say though that I will forever remember the moment, the feeling, the atmosphere in the Hammy End when he pulled off that beautiful chip against Juve.

For that moment alone once the dust has settled I think I may forgive him slightly...
@got_maile

ElissonSnygg

Official board member of the Swedish Supporter Club - FFC Sweden.

Twitter: @ElissonSnygg

Jambo

Quote from: ElissonSnygg on September 04, 2012, 05:12:21 PM
No harm done here.  True cult hero.

tend to agreed. the way it ended my have tainted it but for those moments (Chelsea, Juve, Liverpool).  He still deserves it.
We all see the game differently, FoF has taught me that.

@jambohunt

http://jameshuntbw.blogspot.co.uk/

username

A hero without a doubt

The fact is what drives Dempsey is always wanting to improve by setting targets. from last season there was nowhere else to go here. If he did not have a season like the last one it would have seriously affected his ability to find a bigger club at the end of his contract. If it was for money he could have just seen out this season and walked. He could have negotiated himself a big contract somewhere like Sunderland and left us with no financial compensation.

For me he has done the right thing. He has left us with some great memories and now was the time to move on. A three or four year contract at Spurs will give him a chance of champions league football although he has little chance of winning medals

As Fulham supporters we have to accept that for the moment our players will be taken from time to time. There is no point in fretting about it. It is great watching some of these young players develop.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

The term "Cult hero" is so very close to his true status

Burt

For his contributions - yes.
For magic moments e.g. Juve goal - yes.
For generally sticking with us for longer than most players do nowadays - yes.

The manner of his leaving was not the best, but (much like Saha) he is assured of a positive place in our history...

David_Keating

voted player of the season twice (or 3 times ?) by the fans, imo he gets cult hero status despite a PR disaster and the devil's horns some people seem to see on him at the moment and he came back saying good things about the club and the fans.

Holders

Quote from: Burt on September 04, 2012, 06:57:50 PM
For his contributions - yes.
For magic moments e.g. Juve goal - yes.
For generally sticking with us for longer than most players do nowadays - yes.

The manner of his leaving was not the best, but (much like Saha) he is assured of a positive place in our history...

My thoughts exactly
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Yellow Jacket

He was never a cult hero to me. He is the scum of the earth and I'm sure many on this board with my assessment that he is an overrated and talentless oaf.

mccscratch

Quote from: Yellow Jacket on September 04, 2012, 09:08:39 PM
He was never a cult hero to me. He is the scum of the earth and I'm sure many on this board with my assessment that he is an overrated and talentless oaf.

Get yourself a new map
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

HatterDon

I thought the whole "cult hero" thing was a bit strange, and thought the idea of naming current or recent players/managers was silly.

I still haven't changed my mind.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

fulham traveller

in our premiership life, he is our clint hero, lets hope he gets a standing ovation when he returns, but the idiots at the back of the hammy end will probably boo him, he never went on strike, he wanted a move to a top 4 club, and dont you also believe that jol wanted to sell him? dembele is the  one ffc wanted to keep more, but we has no option but to sell him

username

He was not the greatest player in the world and is not the quickest but still a great player for us during his time here. The fact that he scored so many goals will always lift him to a higher level than those that did an equally good job but without the goals. As for the way he left the press always want a story. Why let the truth get in the way of that.

epsomraver

Quote from: fulham traveller on September 04, 2012, 10:25:36 PM
in our premiership life, he is our clint hero, lets hope he gets a standing ovation when he returns, but the idiots at the back of the hammy end will probably boo him, he never went on strike, he wanted a move to a top 4 club, and dont you also believe that jol wanted to sell him? dembele is the  one ffc wanted to keep more, but we has no option but to sell him
[/quote

An opinion few would share, certainly this side of the pond.