watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Frei in central midfield?

Started by MrFFC, September 05, 2012, 10:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LRCN

i wrote very extensively on kerim frei a few months back, and said exactly why he's not a right winger - because he's much, much better than that

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/04/hes-no-small-frei-a-look-at-fulhams-teenage-sensation/

LRCN

he would also get ruined in central midfield.

MrFFC

I played him in centre of a 4-3-3 on FIFA he was very effective breaking with pace
Come on you Whites!! :)

Fulham Far East

Quote from: Ordar on September 05, 2012, 12:26:42 PM
I thought about Baird myself.

I personally would play Richardson there, at least until January. Before I get criticised I'll explain why.

- Yes he didnt have a sensational debut playing out wide. He lost the ball a few times and looked a bit lost. But that is perfectly understandable as he'd only joined the day before. He didnt look match fit to me, which can be rectified by a better training regime (as Sunderland obviously dont have one) and playing some games.
- He can obviously tackle well, and is used to running forward and tracking back from his long recent experience at right back for Sunderland.
- He is obviously comfortable on the ball and can go forward well, due to his experience of playing higher up the field.
- We saw at West Ham that he's willing to have a shot when in range.
- He cant be worse than Sidwell

Jol himself said that he sees him as more of a CM (which totally contradicted what he'd said when he signed him).

I like this idea

epsomraver

Quote from: Edward_Winston_Malone on September 05, 2012, 04:53:09 PM
Personally i wouldn't have Frei in the team full stop.  He runs very fast into brick walls.  His delivery is poor and is matched only by his poor shooting.

I would give him a season elsewhere.  But hey that's just my opinion...

I HAVE TO SAY I AGREE WITH YOU, HE IS A BIT OF A ONE TRICK PONY AND I SAW HIM PLAY A MORE CENTRAL MIDFIELD ROLE IN THE U 18'S CUP AND HE WAS NON EXISTENT, GREAT TALENT BUT NOT THE ANSWER AT PRESENT ESPECIALLY AGAINST THE MORE PHYSICAL TEAMS Please excuse the caps I am not shouting just caught the caps button

MJG

I really do despair, a young exciting talent finally in Fulham colours and he's described as a one trick pony. and shouldn't be in the team.
fp.gif

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Quote from: MJG on September 06, 2012, 10:09:24 AM
I really do despair, a young exciting talent finally in Fulham colours and he's described as a one trick pony. and shouldn't be in the team.
fp.gif

Don't despair, each to his own opinion...

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: MJG on September 06, 2012, 10:09:24 AM
fp.gif

Yes. He is also only 19 (?).

Funny, no one was calling him a one trick pony when he shifted the momentum of the Arsenal game last season or had the entire CL winning Chelsea defence at sixes and sevens.

cebu

Frei turns 19 in November. At 5' 7" he isn't very tall, but he is the same height as Paul Scholes, who's managed to survive among the big men in the Prem. Kerim still has a lot to learn, but he's young enough to do just that. He could well have a Fulham future playing in midfield, I believe, but of course he'll need to show Jol what he's made of.

epsomraver

GREAT TALENT BUT NOT THE ANSWER AT PRESENT please read other peoples posts properly before moaning about them, he is a great talent but is not the answer to the current midfield shortage.

Travers Barney

Quote from: LBNo11 on September 05, 2012, 03:26:11 PM
...don't get me wrong AFC, I appreciate your points and have nothing against inverted wingers, my favourite player played as an inverted winger, difference was he could cut in on the right but also cross with is left foot too.

The finest sight in the seventies was to see Jimmy Conway and Les Barrett repeatedly swap wings during a game and the defenders didn't know what day it was...

May not have happened but I seem to recall that with affection when we beat the filth in 75/6...jimmy scored  from memory...I recall as a young  impressional 12 year old what a charming bunch of supporters they had.

I must move on.
We are the whites

HatterDon

Quote from: epsomraver on September 07, 2012, 08:26:45 PM
GREAT TALENT BUT NOT THE ANSWER AT PRESENT please read other peoples posts properly before moaning about them, he is a great talent but is not the answer to the current midfield shortage.

Caught the caps AND the bold that time. You're on a roll!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

LBNo11

Quote from: LBNo11 on September 05, 2012, 11:48:44 AM
...how about Mr Utility - Chris Baird..?

...Jol hangs on my every word.. :008:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

MasterHaynes

Quote from: MJG on September 05, 2012, 02:40:39 PM
Would not want to see Frei as one of two CM's that would not work.
He has played behind the striker for the reserves and I would expect him to end up playing in that position in years to come.

Im surprised Jol seems not to want to try him on the right. With him and Kaca on both wings we would have youth/pace and directness..3 things we lack big time.
As he's not going to do that, the other option I favour is that Kaca & Frei alternate the left side position.
That way they get games, but being young are not overplayed. It would give is a bit of un predictability aginst the opposition as well. Will it be a player going on the outside or inside this week?
I don't think alternating Frei and Kaca will work for a couple of reasons, the first is they have totally different attributes and strengths, one is happy to go down the line and cross the other never does, it would change the shape of the team with other players having to adapt. The second is that Kaca is rapidly making that position his own, growing in confidence each game he plays. Taking him out every other game will not help his development and may undermine him. At the end of last season I was not sure about playing him every game and alternating him with Frei but I think Kaca has matured and grown. Take him off after 60 minutes by all means to give him a breather but I think he is now a regular starter.

MJG

Quote from: MasterHaynes on September 15, 2012, 09:56:35 PM
Quote from: MJG on September 05, 2012, 02:40:39 PM
Would not want to see Frei as one of two CM's that would not work.
He has played behind the striker for the reserves and I would expect him to end up playing in that position in years to come.

Im surprised Jol seems not to want to try him on the right. With him and Kaca on both wings we would have youth/pace and directness..3 things we lack big time.
As he's not going to do that, the other option I favour is that Kaca & Frei alternate the left side position.
That way they get games, but being young are not overplayed. It would give is a bit of un predictability aginst the opposition as well. Will it be a player going on the outside or inside this week?
I don't think alternating Frei and Kaca will work for a couple of reasons, the first is they have totally different attributes and strengths, one is happy to go down the line and cross the other never does, it would change the shape of the team with other players having to adapt. The second is that Kaca is rapidly making that position his own, growing in confidence each game he plays. Taking him out every other game will not help his development and may undermine him. At the end of last season I was not sure about playing him every game and alternating him with Frei but I think Kaca has matured and grown. Take him off after 60 minutes by all means to give him a breather but I think he is now a regular starter.
I dont disagree with that at all really. Kaca is the older and taken his chance, but as we know younger players tend to dip in and out of form more than older players. my proposal was partly to help both develop (we always say they need games) and also make us less perdictable, but yes the style would change game to game. But as we showed yesterday we can adapt to formations and personel.