watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Frei in central midfield?

Started by MrFFC, September 05, 2012, 10:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrFFC

I actually think that could work what we now lack with Dembele gone is someone in the middle who can beat a player and accelerate away and Frei can do that yes he is not as strong or as good in the tackle but he could terrorize teams and there back 4s running at them allowing Ruiz space to pick a pass. Would like to see if anyone agrees with me but a front 6 of

Diarra

Frei Ruiz

Duff Berbatov Kaca

Think that would be interesting for sure
Come on you Whites!! :)

AlFayedsChequebook

I think there has been a large overreaction to the loss of Dembele. He is/was fantastic in that midfield role but is not really replaceable without spending a load of money we dont have.

For the team to be balanced, we need to have two more defensive midfielders sitting a bit deeper and covering the defence. They have to be good at passing and one might have more of a license to go forward, but ultimately, the creative burden will land on the front 4. Considering we have Berbatov, Ruiz and Petric as options through the middle alone will tell you we are well stocked for creativity.

All of these formations that suggest replacing Dembele are only really going to be seen when we are at home and chasing a game - like the 4-1-4-1 Jol played last season against the likes of Arsenal. For the rest of the time Sidwell/Diarra should be fine, if not amazing. A young, energetic midfielder who can pass/defend/tackle to replace Sidwell in Jan is the most likely next move.

Yarden

Just get in Ramsey and we are fine

BishopsParkFantastic

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on September 05, 2012, 10:34:18 AM
I think there has been a large overreaction to the loss of Dembele. He is/was fantastic in that midfield role but is not really replaceable without spending a load of money we dont have.

For the team to be balanced, we need to have two more defensive midfielders sitting a bit deeper and covering the defence. They have to be good at passing and one might have more of a license to go forward, but ultimately, the creative burden will land on the front 4. Considering we have Berbatov, Ruiz and Petric as options through the middle alone will tell you we are well stocked for creativity.

All of these formations that suggest replacing Dembele are only really going to be seen when we are at home and chasing a game - like the 4-1-4-1 Jol played last season against the likes of Arsenal. For the rest of the time Sidwell/Diarra should be fine, if not amazing. A young, energetic midfielder who can pass/defend/tackle to replace Sidwell in Jan is the most likely next move.

You have to have a way of delivering the ball to the front four!

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: BishopsParkFantastic on September 05, 2012, 10:48:47 AM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on September 05, 2012, 10:34:18 AM

You have to have a way of delivering the ball to the front four!

Yes, and Diarra and Sidwell are fine with that, particularly the former who has taken over from Murphy as the central distributor of the team.

The difference between now and times gone past is that the CM's just have to keep it simple and play simple passes upfield. When Murphy was the creative hub he had to do the simple passes and create the chances. Now there is less emphasis on the latter from midfield. Why do people find this so hard to grasp - we have considerably changed playing styles.

LBNo11

...how about Mr Utility - Chris Baird..?
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Ordar

I thought about Baird myself.

I personally would play Richardson there, at least until January. Before I get criticised I'll explain why.

- Yes he didnt have a sensational debut playing out wide. He lost the ball a few times and looked a bit lost. But that is perfectly understandable as he'd only joined the day before. He didnt look match fit to me, which can be rectified by a better training regime (as Sunderland obviously dont have one) and playing some games.
- He can obviously tackle well, and is used to running forward and tracking back from his long recent experience at right back for Sunderland.
- He is obviously comfortable on the ball and can go forward well, due to his experience of playing higher up the field.
- We saw at West Ham that he's willing to have a shot when in range.
- He cant be worse than Sidwell

Jol himself said that he sees him as more of a CM (which totally contradicted what he'd said when he signed him).

jarv

Frei centre mid?? Are you mad? :005:

HatterDon

I like the idea of Frei in the middle. He's absolutely lost on the left wing, and both Richardson and Special K are more at home [and more effective] there. He has pace, dribbling ability, and a good eye for the pass. This time last season, very few of us would have considered Dembele for the role he played for us and excelled at.

In the meantime [in between time] I would MUCH prefer Baird in CM rather than Sidwell. I don't think SS has what it takes.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Black, White and Fred

Quote from: HatterDon on September 05, 2012, 01:48:48 PM
I like the idea of Frei in the middle. He's absolutely lost on the left wing, and both Richardson and Special K are more at home [and more effective] there. He has pace, dribbling ability, and a good eye for the pass. This time last season, very few of us would have considered Dembele for the role he played for us and excelled at.

In the meantime [in between time] I would MUCH prefer Baird in CM rather than Sidwell. I don't think SS has what it takes.

I have to agree with Hatter on this. Some of Frei's interplay towards the end of last season looked really smart and also he never goes down the flank anyway, he loves cutting into the center. So let him play there.
I would play Bairdino before Sidwell and make Frei his understudy. No so much to learn from him, but so big Martin can train him up to play smart football in the middle while Baird acts as a temporary quick fix.
And for anyone that is thinking along the lines of 'soft touch' & ' won't be able to hack it physically' just think of Xavi and Inesta. Not the strongest of tacklers but nibble at balls and plus he would be backed up by Diarra.
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: 1879 on September 05, 2012, 02:17:22 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on September 05, 2012, 01:48:48 PM

I have to agree with Hatter on this. Some of Frei's interplay towards the end of last season looked really smart and also he never goes down the flank anyway, he loves cutting into the center. So let him play there.
I would play Bairdino before Sidwell and make Frei his understudy. No so much to learn from him, but so big Martin can train him up to play smart football in the middle while Baird acts as a temporary quick fix.
And for anyone that is thinking along the lines of 'soft touch' & ' won't be able to hack it physically' just think of Xavi and Inesta. Not the strongest of tacklers but nibble at balls and plus he would be backed up by Diarra.

Iniesta plays further up the field and Xavi is not similar to Frei at all.

I dont see why everyone gets so upset about him cutting in from the left. As long as we have width on one side it is fine to have players cutting in. Duff rebuild his career doing just this.

LBNo11

...AFC, the point about him cutting in from the left is that defenders know he does that and so he is predictable to defend against, prevent him from cutting inside and the momentum is gone...

MJG

Would not want to see Frei as one of two CM's that would not work.
He has played behind the striker for the reserves and I would expect him to end up playing in that position in years to come.

Im surprised Jol seems not to want to try him on the right. With him and Kaca on both wings we would have youth/pace and directness..3 things we lack big time.
As he's not going to do that, the other option I favour is that Kaca & Frei alternate the left side position.
That way they get games, but being young are not overplayed. It would give is a bit of un predictability aginst the opposition as well. Will it be a player going on the outside or inside this week?

Black, White and Fred

I was referring to his physical similarity to both those players that play in the middle, throw in Mata and Hazard if you like. He can run with the ball and he can always improve his passing range, though we have seen some natural glimpses that he can pick a pass.  The way I would kind of see it:

Schwarzer
Reither  Hughes  Hangeland  Riise
                 Diarra
              Frei   Ruiz
Dejagah                              Kaca
              Berbatov
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

EJL

Quote from: LBNo11 on September 05, 2012, 02:32:20 PM
...AFC, the point about him cutting in from the left is that defenders know he does that and so he is predictable to defend against, prevent him from cutting inside and the momentum is gone...
Now Riise is pushing up more and more, he won't be as predictable if he's playing on the wing.

Example - When Robben doesn't have the support of Lahm he is completely marked out of games. Like Frei, he is extremely one footed.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: LBNo11 on September 05, 2012, 02:32:20 PM

I understand that, but I think that is as much a problem with when we used to get far too narrow.

Frei does cut inside, but so does Duff on the other wing. The problem comes when there is no width to balance that on the wing or from full back.

Frei is fine on the left if we have riise providing a passing option and someone like Dejagah on the right stretching play.

LBNo11

...don't get me wrong AFC, I appreciate your points and have nothing against inverted wingers, my favourite player played as an inverted winger, difference was he could cut in on the right but also cross with is left foot too.

The finest sight in the seventies was to see Jimmy Conway and Les Barrett repeatedly swap wings during a game and the defenders didn't know what day it was...

CH FFC

I would not think about having Frei starting in the middle.  He is much better playing on the outside, and coming into the middle. 
Richardson will be playing in the middle, from what I understood from Jol.  I can see it happening, but not sure how I feel about it yet.

Still curious how we will normally set up, seems like every week someone that I would normally want to start will be sitting out.

Riether   Hughes   Hangeland   Riise

Diarra   
            Berbatov    Ruiz
Dejagah/Duff           Frei/kaca
                    Petric

OR

Riether   Hughes   Hangleand   Riise
                   Diarra
                         Richardson
   D/D        Berbatov        Frei/Kaca
                   Petric

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Personally i wouldn't have Frei in the team full stop.  He runs very fast into brick walls.  His delivery is poor and is matched only by his poor shooting.

I would give him a season elsewhere.  But hey that's just my opinion...

HatterDon

Quote from: LBNo11 on September 05, 2012, 03:26:11 PM
...don't get me wrong AFC, I appreciate your points and have nothing against inverted wingers, my favourite player played as an inverted winger, difference was he could cut in on the right but also cross with is left foot too.

The finest sight in the seventies was to see Jimmy Conway and Les Barrett repeatedly swap wings during a game and the defenders didn't know what day it was...

So, how long has it been since the league has seen a real two-footed winger. When you watch Barrett in highlights, you need to see him take a free kick/corner kick before you can tell he's left-footed. I wish I could have watched him play.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel