https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (10/09/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 10, 2012, 04:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Schwarzer: Qualification drives me

© Getty Images

It was the 17th minute of Canada and Australia's 1993 CONCACAF qualifier for the FIFA World Cup 1994 at Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium. As the fresh-faced young goalkeeper strode onto pitch to replace Australia's first-choice shot stopper Robert Zabica, sent off seconds before, little did Mark Schwarzer know that this moment would mark the start of a glorious career for the national side.

Two years previously his fledgling career had taken a nosedive, with injury ruling him out of the finals of the FIFA U-20 World Cup Portugal 1991. Seizing the opportunity in Edmonton, the 20-year-old stated his case for inclusion by contributing to an eventual 3-3 draw, then going on to shine in the return leg, saving two penalties to send his team through to the final phase of qualifying.

The Socceroos never made it to USA 1994 after being denied by Argentina in their next match, but 12 years later a now-established Schwarzer faced another South American side in FIFA World Cup qualifiers as Uruguay sought to impede Australia's progress to Germany 2006.

Four days after an opening leg defeat in Montevideo on 12 November 2005, Schwarzer stunned the Uruguayans by repeating his feat of saving two penalties, a critical contribution that helped secure Australia's first qualification for the finals of a FIFA World Cup in 32 years.

Last Thursday witnessed another milestone for the 6'5" giant as he became the first Australian to play 100 games for his country in an international friendly against Lebanon. FIFA.com caught up with Schwarzer to chat about his record-breaking achievement and the dream of qualifying for Brazil 2014.

FIFA.com: Mark, congratulations on making it into the century club. How does it make you feel?
Mark Schwarzer: It's a great honour and a real milestone for me. I tried not to think about it too much and I reckon I'll feel prouder of it when I look back later.

My teammates and I have one objective, which is to reach the World Cup finals, and we have achieved any number of impressive things along the way. The satisfaction and pride will come later.

Your first team debut was in a FIFA World Cup qualifier back in 1993. Did you ever imagine that you would come so far and achieve so much?
I never dreamed of getting this far. Qualifying for Germany 2006 was a massive achievement, especially because it came after a 32-year absence. I never gave a thought to anything beyond that, but getting knocked out in the Round of 16 gave me a real desire to fill that gap, which drove me to keep playing and make it to another World Cup.

As far as I was concerned South Africa was to be my last World Cup but then I just kept going. After 75 international appearances I began to think I might just make it to my century, and that's what happened. But my main goal was always to qualify for the finals in Brazil and nothing's changed.

My teammates and I have one objective, which is to reach the World Cup finals.
Mark Schwarzer, Australian international goalkeeper

You've had a slow start with only two points from your first couple of games, qualifying for Brazil 2014 is looking tough.
The first game was very difficult given the conditions we faced in Oman in June. Then we had to take a trip home, which lasted 22 or 23 hours, arriving just three days before our game against Japan, who had got there before us. It was hard, but I reckon we played well.

Australia have appeared at two Asian Cup finals, but were knocked out twice at the hands of Japan. Are they a particularly tough team to beat?
At the moment in the Asian Cup series, we've failed to beat Japan. But when you look to World Cup qualifiers, the roles have been reversed. We have beaten them in the World Cup qualifiers and in the World Cup as well. I think I'm happy with that result, with that scenario at the moment. Hopefully we can finish in the top two and qualify for the World Cup.

Which of the teams in your group pose the biggest threat to your chances of qualification?
All of the sides in Group B are a threat. They've all earned their right to be there. We cannot take any of them lightly, especially when we're playing them on their home soil.

Oman have proved how tricky they can be at home and I am certain that Jordan will put on a good performance when we face them next week, though I'm sure we'll play well and get the result we want. The same goes for Iraq. We've played them on a number of occasions and they have never failed to be strong.

We never take anyone lightly and we know that every game is difficult. These matches are qualifiers for the FIFA World Cup and the other teams want to go through just as badly as we do.

Just how important is competing in the FIFA World Cup to you and the rest of the Australian team?
It's vital in order to ensure that the game in Australia keeps moving forward. Qualifying for a World Cup attracts a lot of benefits: sponsorship, financial support, even interest in the game. It motivates people in Australia to play more football, to want to make it into the national side or just to get involved in whatever way they can.

It's also important that as a side we are well prepared as we can be. We are probably the most famous team in Australia, the nation's favourites if you like. We must keep playing well and keep winning, because Australians love winning, they demand it. We have to give it to them.

Australia will be hosting the Asian Cup in 2015, are you looking forward for this tournament and do you want to take part in it?
I haven't been thinking that far ahead, all my focus is 2014, though I am aware of Australia hosting the Asian Cup. It's a tremendous tournament for Australia to host and I'm absolutely positive that Australia will put on a fantastic show for the Asian Cup. We'll see in what capacity I'm involved if I'm involved at all.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/news/newsid=1697971/index.html?cid=rssfeed&att=

WhiteJC

Dembélé, García and Berbatov: Hit or Miss?

Several deals blew through the transfer window just before it slammed shut, breaking fingernails and trapping slow-moving agents' hands in the process. But are these late moves destined to bring trophy-laden joy to their new clubs or a sense of crushing disappointment? The experts on the Life's A Pitch panel pass their verdict on Tottenham recruit Moussa Dembélé, Manchester City new boy Javi García and Fulham's Dimitar Berbatov, bought from Man Utd.

The Daily Mirror's Martin Lipton thinks Dembélé could provide Spurs with that vital link between midfield and attack. "The only problem is how André Villas-Boas sorts out the mix in midfield." If he can clamber his way to the top of the pecking order, Lipton thinks "he'll excite the fans" and reckons he'll be "more hit than miss". It's not glowing, but it's an endorsement.

Ian Ridley, of the Mail On Sunday, isn't so reticent when it comes to Fulham's Dimitar Berbatov. "I think he'll be a hit," he declares, barely able to contain himself. "He's had a lot to say about being forced out of Manchester United. Well, here's your chance [to prove them wrong], it's a great stage and he'll suit Fulham's style." Just for good measure, host Mike Calvin chips in: "I love him!" It almost gets emotional.

Back in Manchester, Javi García is settling into life at Man City and the Sunday Mirror's David Walker thinks he'll fit in just fine. "He's a big, strong, powerful boy, and he's skilful too. He can play in a holding midfield position or at centre-back, and City need a centre-back." But there's always a catch, isn't there? "My worry is how long he'll get in the team, but if he gets a run, he'll be a hit."

http://www.lifesapitch.co.uk/laptv/two-minute-warning/dembele-garcia-and-berbatov-hit-or-miss/?

WhiteJC

Commerce: have you got your Fulham Review?

While millions of people the world over are buying things like Fifty Shades of Grey and Coldplay albums just because other people are buying them, the same sort of momentum rarely attaches itself to those of us at the humbler end of the spectrum. But The Fulham Review is just as special in its own way, and contains some wonderful things by some fine writers, so please do have a look if you're in any way tempted.  I'm sure you won't regret it.

Special offer for the next week, too – backissues for a pound if you get this year's book. We have 06/07 (Coleman/Sanchez), 08/09 (Roy's first season, 7th) and last year's (Hughes, but perhaps the best all around of all the books).  If you want to do this just send Paypal to richallen7 at yahoo dot com for the necessary amount (email me to clarify if you like, but it's £5 for this year's book, £1 for each backissue, and say, £3 for postage).

www.godsfoot.com to order!

Cheers

Rich

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/09/09/commerce-have-you-got-your-fulham-review/?

WhiteJC

Fulham Boss Martin Jol Ready to Loan Out Pajtim Kasami

Fulham manager Martin Jol believes it may be better for both club and player if midfielder Pajtim Kasami is sent out on loan.

Kasami joined the Cottagers last summer from Serie A side Palermo and was hopeful of establishing himself at Craven Cottage.

However, the Switzerland Under-21 star has struggled to make the impact he would have desired and, with his motivation to play first team football undimmed, Jol feels that Kasami may benefit from a loan spell away from Fulham.

"The problem is that he wants to play every week, but if everyone is fit then that does not happen", said Jol.

"It seems therefore better to loan him to another club, so that he can have more playing time.

"He will benefit."

Kasami has long been considered a rising talent, but it appears the Macedonia-born midfielder is not yet ready to make the breakthrough as a regular at Craven Cottage.

The 20-year-old made 24 appearances for Palermo in the 2010/11 campaign, before moving to the Premier League with Fulham.

Read more at http://www.insidefutbol.com/2012/09/10/fulham-boss-martin-jol-ready-to-loan-out-pajtim-kasami/68685/?#2gYQ5lxTyX6xADZC.99

WhiteJC

Get Ready For West Brom

Show Your Stripes and full support for the Team in your own Home Shirt.

With just five days to go until our next home fixture against West Bromwich Albion, purchase today with your hero's name and squad number to guarantee delivery in time for the game!

Shirt prices start from £29.99. Order online or direct on 0843 208 1223, or come and see us at the Fulham Road or Stadium Stores today.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/10/home-kit?

WhiteJC

FFC Loan Watch

Fulham youngsters Marcus Bettinelli and Richard Peniket were both in action for their respective loan clubs in the Blue Square Bet Premier over the weekend.

Goalkeeper Bettinelli, who had enjoyed a four-match winning streak with Dartford prior to Saturday's action, conceded twice as the Kent outfit were beaten 2-0 by Gateshead. The loss saw Dartford slip to 10th in the Blue Square Bet Premier table with 12 points.

Meanwhile, striker Peniket almost scored a wonder goal as Kidderminster Harriers drew 2-2 with Southport last weekend. Peniket played the full 90 minutes and almost scored a sensational goal early in the second half, but his chipped effort over the goalkeeper had too much pace on it and the ball bounced off the crossbar.

Despite earning a draw, Kidderminster slipped to the foot of the Blue Square Bet Premier table, with just three points earned from their opening eight league matches. 

This weekend Bettinelli and Dartford will look to return to winning ways at Hereford United, whilst Peniket and Kidderminster entertain Grimsby Town.

Elsewhere, Fulham striker Corey Gameiro, who joined FC Eindhoven on a four-month loan deal at the end of August, will be hoping to feature when the Dutch side take on Helmond Sport on Friday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/10/ffc-loan-watch?

WhiteJC

West Brom Sold Out

Barclays Premier League action returns to Craven Cottage this weekend when Martin Jol's team challenge West Bromwich Albion at Craven Cottage.

The Club is delighted to confirm that Saturday's match has now sold out, with supporters hoping to witness a similar performance to  FFC's last home match, when the Whites defeated Norwich City 5-0 on the opening day of the season.

Whilst all match tickets have been sold for this fixture, hospitality packages are still available for supporters wishing to attend Saturday's fixture in SW6.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/10/west-brom-sold-out?