watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The lads and Klinsman

Started by YankeeJim, September 12, 2012, 07:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeJim

Yes it is just the first game BUT, Klinsman hasn't a clue what to do with this team. We might be able to play a 4-3-3 if Donovan comes back and brings some desire with him but short of that, he needs to shift back to a 4-4-2 with some midfielder who knows that the ball is supposed to be sent up to the strikers. That, and his German mercenaries need to get some life in them. Johnson was fine, not his best game but fine. Yellow card Jones is not, has not and will never be a player I want on the field. Lastly, explain to me what all the hype about Jugbutt Tim Chandler was all about. With a derriere like that he should be sitting in a library somewhere rather then huffing & puffing as he chases some quick little Hispanic who nugmegs him at will. That, and 33 year old Dolo had knee surgery today. We finally get a left back and now we need a right one.

RUN! The sky is falling!
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

CanadianCottager

I always said that the US would miss Bunker Bob, to be fair the only teams that really performed to or above expectations were Honduras and Jamaica yesterday, nonetheless Jurgen really failed to do his homework on Honduras. Had he scouted Honduras in the past few months there's no way he would have lined up with such a defensive minded 4-3-3, when Honduras relies on the long ball and wingplay to generate chances its no use clogging up the centre. To be fair to Chandler, Costly and Boniek Garcia are both top notch players even if they haven't shown in the MLS and I don't see any right back in CONCACAF having an easy time against them. Klinsmann should consider switching to a 4-2-3-1 against Costa Rica and Mexico as both teams have very attacking minded fullbacks that like to overlap, they're going to need the wingers to hustle back when they lose possession. That being said, the first round of the hex is rarely indicative of who makes the big show, otherwise last time around we'd have seen Costa Rica, Trinidad and the USA as the likely favourites.

Forever Fulham

We have an amazing qualifying record at home games.  We'll be OK.  Honduras scheduled the start time for the hottest time of the day.  They are used to that weather.  Our German American contingent sure isn't...  They didn't cut their grass, and must have practiced playing on a meadowlike condition, with what looked like high ankle level grass, which deadened the ball.  Plus, Honduras has got a pretty darn good team!  Having said all that, though, I agree Klinsmann is the wrong guy for the U.S.  We should get rid of him and quick.  Being a former great player doesn't qualify you to be a great coach.  It's a different set of skills.  U.S. Soccer made a big mistake, and we shall pay dearly for it. 

YankeeJim

How about the home leg with Honduras be played at night in Fairbanks?

Forever Fulham

Quote from: YankeeJim on February 12, 2013, 05:57:01 PM
How about the home leg with Honduras be played at night in Fairbanks?
:Haynes The Maestro:

McBridefan1

well after the mexico game one thing can be said... our back four and our back up keeper are looking pretty good. Beser, Gonzalez, and Guzan were awesome, period. That is huge going forward. Admittedly mexico didn't play very well but our back four were solid when they did manage to put together an attack, and very good on set pieces as well. When demps, donovan, et al finally play together things could look very good indeed. I thought Jermain Jones (injured) was what we were missing in midfield for the mexico game, he and Bradley together could really boss the midfield. With Edu, a solid back up. Brek Shea on the left wing and Donovan on the right with altidore up top and demps playing behind him, bringing on Hercules around the 60th minute to add to that attack... I salivate for a string of games with that line-up. Now with our back four a little more solid, things are coming together very nicely. You have to look at the big picture, as woy did with fulham, we are building from the back. No more getting caught out and giving up early leads would make us that more dangerous.

McBridefan1

I didn't want to make my last response too long, so I broke it up...

I know we all want an american to lead the team to greatness some day, but there just isn't great coaching in the us... sorry bob was our best and he was miserably lacking. Do we want to get better or do we want to remain that scrappy underdog that runs around and tries real hard but loses. Or do we want to become a team that can get results in mexico, italy etc... We are now able to get points against European teams, I think Klinsmanns only downfall was under estimating concacaf competition, and the physical demands of playing those games... he is building us to be able to beat European teams but hasn't had us prepared to play the physically demanding games against concacaf. I don't think he will make that mistake again. We will be ok, we just need to get the first team together for this summers games. I love that klinsmann has brought in new guys to challenge the starting 11, our boys were getting complacent, and this coach has given them what they needed, a good swift kick in the ass. He is doing things the right way, its just that we've never seen the right way to build a team before. Well we've seen it at Fulham, and the parity between Fulham and the US is unmistakable in my mind.

YankeeJim

Who is this negative idiot, Yankee Jim?
He never sees the positive side. He likely doubted that a center back pairing with a total of seven caps could stand up to Mexico in their house. I, for one, knew that Matt Besler was the savior we have been needing. Everyone needs to be consistent, like me.    :Get Coat gif:

YankeeJim

I had to miss the Jamaican match. Any comments from Sam's Army?

valdeingruo

Quote from: YankeeJim on June 08, 2013, 08:01:14 PM
I had to miss the Jamaican match. Any comments from Sam's Army?

Im hoping for the same, missed it due to afghan but caught the honduras match.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

YankeeJim

Watched the Cuba match. Best player on the pitch was the Cuban keeper. It could have been 7-8 to 1. Donavan seems to have his desire back. I say this not because he tormented the Cuban back line all match but because about the 75th. minute he crossed a ball which came back out  quickly and a fine pass from some Cuban at the back caught their striker at almost full stride and Donavan made the defensive play at the top of the US box. Well done! That's a pure gut play. Not a word I have used much where Landon is concerned. Holden looked good and even Beckerman looked class. I can't wait until some one starts pushing for Wondo for a better league. Five goals in two games is a fine achievement but consider the opposition.

BTW, what the devil happened to our northern brothers?

valdeingruo

No clue up on the north!  But he did make key saves for Cuba, if it werent for him and the fact that Mr Shea was playing like he didnt want to go to Brazil next year I would agree with your score assesment. Holden is looking like he is coming back, slowly but surely.

YankeeJim

I'm beginning to think that Stoke bought a turkey. He hasn't had a good match since before his injury.

jmh

Quote from: YankeeJim on July 13, 2013, 11:35:22 PM
I can't wait until some one starts pushing for Wondo for a better league.
I'm not sure what club in a stronger league would take a chance on a 30-year-old who's only even been a regular in MLS for three years, especially with his strike rate down so far this year.  If Fulham signed him Jol would be slated for signing an old unproven player.

YankeeJim

Quote from: jmh on July 18, 2013, 12:24:24 AM
I'm not sure what club in a stronger league would take a chance on a 30-year-old who's only even been a regular in MLS for three years, especially with his strike rate down so far this year.  If Fulham signed him Jol would be slated for signing an old unproven player.

If FFC signed him it would be like throwing raw meat to a few on the board. People use to wonder why Taylor Twellman never got a shot at a bigger league. I saw Twellman get a hat trick against Norway at the Home Depot Center but the marking by Norway's B team was abysmal. Aside from that and Wondo's recent heroics you can't be slow AND small as a striker which is what both of them are.

jmh

Quote from: YankeeJim on July 18, 2013, 01:52:40 AM
Quote from: jmh on July 18, 2013, 12:24:24 AM

If FFC signed him it would be like throwing raw meat to a few on the board. People use to wonder why Taylor Twellman never got a shot at a bigger league. I saw Twellman get a hat trick against Norway at the Home Depot Center but the marking by Norway's B team was abysmal. Aside from that and Wondo's recent heroics you can't be slow AND small as a striker which is what both of them are.
It worked for Robbie Fowler.  (Of course, he was faster before he got, you know, bigger.)

YankeeJim

The guys looked good against an aggressive Salvadorian side who spent more time stomping on the top of feet than playing the match. Donavan seems to have found his desire. Beckerman, Beasley & Goodson would seem to be a reasonable third/fourth stringers. Eddies new hairdo is stupid although that lighting bolt served well on one occasion and also was used on the pass on Donovan's breakaway. The rest of them (except Holden) are likely not heading to Brazil. Mix has been a revelation & might have a strong future with the Nats. It is nice to see that our second string can be competitive. Honduras will not be a push over and than there is the revenge minded egos from south of the border looming out there. Come on Panama! They do have the defense so one can hope.

valdeingruo

Quote from: YankeeJim on July 22, 2013, 07:16:00 PM
The guys looked good against an aggressive Salvadorian side who spent more time stomping on the top of feet than playing the match. Donavan seems to have found his desire. Beckerman, Beasley & Goodson would seem to be a reasonable third/fourth stringers. Eddies new hairdo is stupid although that lighting bolt served well on one occasion and also was used on the pass on Donovan's breakaway. The rest of them (except Holden) are likely not heading to Brazil. Mix has been a revelation & might have a strong future with the Nats. It is nice to see that our second string can be competitive. Honduras will not be a push over and than there is the revenge minded egos from south of the border looming out there. Come on Panama! They do have the defense so one can hope.

Corona may have an outside chance

jmh

Diskerud is still young and should have a nice career ahead of him.  I'm not sure he'll see much playing time when Bradley and Jones (one of Klinsmann's favorites, like it or not) are called in and Holden is healthy, but at this point I don't see any reason he shouldn't be playing ahead of Beckerman and Kljestan and Feilhaber.

YankeeJim

Watched the Honduras match yesterday. Who exactly is that guy wearing #10? I have never seen a US player dominate like he has. I really don't recognize him. He looks a little like Lanneycakes but this guy has a pair.
Bedoya looked good. Holden is still rusty. Eddie's hairdo looked blonde last night rather than the apparent white from the last match. I think is has earned the backup role to Jozy or perhaps even the super sub (sorry Finney) role. Beasley (my favorite US player after McGod) is a usable backup at left back and perhaps left wing. Mix may be a little short given the crowed midfield  but going forward he is the likely replacement for that yellow card machine Jones.
Rimaldo looked good but he has to wait for Timmay & Guzman to die to see the sticks in any meaningful match.

As a negative note; did the US seem (especially Torrez) seem to whine a lot. They seemed more like El Tri (Ha!Ha!Ha!) than a US side. When a team is desperate as Honduras was they often fall into cheap shots. That really is a CONCACAF norm and that coupled with the usual abysmal CONCACAF referees can test a team. They should all do as DaBeaz did, simply get up and get on with it.

And  :drums:, Panama will not be a pushover. They are big, pacey and confident. This match will really test Landon. I promise you, they'll beat him up. If they don't, look for a repeat of last night.

And (finally), way to go Klinsman, show some fire!