more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (13/09/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 13, 2012, 04:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

More on Giorgos

Yesterday the Greek international Giorgos Karagounis put pen-to-paper on a season long deal.

Karagounis, having failed to agree terms with Panathinikos, was a free agent and he arrives at Craven Cottage with an array of experience.

In a career that has, so far spanned 17 years, the 35 year-old has amassed 120 caps for Greece, captaining his country at the recent Euro 2012 Finals whilst also being a part f the shock Greece victory at the Euro 2004 Finals.

His club career has seen him play for both Benfica and Inter Milan and upon signing for Fulham he had this to say,

"I`m looking forward to working under Martin Jol and playing alongside some fantastic players."

Whereas Martin Jol had this to say.

"Giorgos Karagounis has a wealth of club and international experience and I`m happy that he`s joined us for this season."

"He`s been an influential player for his club sides and is a renowned player in world football as he`s about to become the most capped player for Greece."

"He brings many certain qualities to our squad."

It`ll certainly be interesting, considering his advanced years, to see how he slots into the very competitive Premier League!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=293140#ixzz26JixGi85

WhiteJC

Riise Nets Winner!

Don`t you just love last minute winners!

They`re so dramatic and give you that buzz that seems to last a whole lot longer than a goal scored in any other part of the game.

Now whilst I may have no Norwegian blood, or connections, I reckon our very own John Arne Riise might very well have been feeling particularly pleased with himself last night.

With Norway entertaining Slovenia, in front of 11,168 spectators, John Arne sent the home fans delirious with a last minute winner, from the penalty spot, to give Norway three vital World Cup qualification points.

I bet the buzz lasted hours!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=293141#ixzz26Jj9wPjr

WhiteJC

DESPERATION OR A BIT OF SHREWD BUSINESS FROM THE BIG MAN?

Fulham's capture of Greek international Giorgos Karagounis after his release from Panathanaikos could be seen as something of a desperate gamble by Martin Jol, but the 35-year old could become a vital cog at Craven Cottage if used correctly.

The former Benfica midfielder has been signed on contract which runs till the end of the season after he couldn't agree terms with the Athens based side.

He then captained the Greek national side at Euro 2012 and scored the vital goal against Russia that saw his unfancied side reach the quarter-finals but has been unable to find a club for the new season before now.

The sale of Mousa Dembele to Tottenham has left the West London side short of attacking midfield options, and the signing of Karagounis gives them a new option to play behind the striker.

He may be coming towards the end of his career, but his intelligence and ability to pick a pass should help a Fulham side that have become much more attractive to watch and have one of the best groups of attackers outside the top eight.

Summer signings Dimitar Berbatov, Hugo Rodallega and Mladen Petric all need good service if they are to provide the goals to propel Jol's side towards the top half, and the ex-Inter Milan midfielder is the man who will be tasked with providing the crosses and passes that Dembele used to provide.

Damien Duff, Bryan Ruiz and youngster Alex Kacaniklic will fight with the veteran for a place in the side, but if he can work his magic early on in the capital then he could become an instant hit at the Cottage.

The signing of the midfielder is a shrewd signing on Jol's part and a good season in England looks set to be the final hurrah in what has been a memorable career.

Read more at http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2012/09/premiership/desperation-or-a-bit-of-shrewd-business-from-the-big-man?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TransferTavern+%28The+Transfer+Tavern+Home+Page%29#DUBDKVXlzqmz5u2h.99

WhiteJC

Premier League preview: Fulham v West Bromwich Albion

After making a blistering start to the season, Fulham have lost two in a row and face the undefeated West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.

Fulham trounced Norwich 5-0 at Craven Cottage in the opening round but it has been slim pickings ever since.

The Cottagers have tasted defeat against Manchester United and West Ham in the Premier League, while they were also bundled out of the League Cup by Sheffield Wednesday.

Having started the season so positively, the West London club is in need of maximum points and the recent signing of Greek international captain Giorgos Karagounis should help their cause.

The 35-year-old, who has earned 120 caps for the national team, joins Martin Jol's side on a free transfer.

"I'm delighted to have signed for Fulham Football Club and I am excited by a new challenge in England and the Barclays Premier League," the former Inter Milan and Panathinaikos midfielder said.

"I'm looking forward to working under Martin Jol and playing alongside some fantastic players at this club."

Fellow new boy Dimitar Berbatov is in line for a starting role after playing the final 45 minutes against West Ham at Upton Park, while Simon Davies, Bryan Ruiz and Kerim Frei could all be included in the squad.

Their opponents West Brom, led by Steve Clarke in his first managerial role, have claimed the scalps of Liverpool and Everton in convincing fashion so far this season.

West Brom stunned Liverpool 3-0 before accounting for Everton 2-0 at The Hawthorns.

Clarke's men are one of four undefeated teams and they have made their best start to a season since returning to the top flight in 2010.

West Brom are hopeful of welcoming back Romelu Lukaku to the side after the Belgian sat out the Everton match.

"Romelu's injury was the result of a tackle and, to be honest, it was probably a 10-day injury. He just ran out of time to play against Everton," Clarke said.

"It was natural that he would be fit and ready to play for Belgium."

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2012/September/13/premier-league-preview-fulham-v-west-bromwich-albion/?

WhiteJC

Turkish keeper in Cottage link

Goalkeeper Sinan Bolat is understood to be at Fulham ahead of a potential January move from Belgian club Standard Liege.

The 24-year-old Turkey international is thought to be getting treatment on a knee injury for which he underwent surgery in June.

Reports in Belgium claim that Fulham will be his next club, although how he will fit into a goalkeeper set-up that already comprises Australian number one Mark Schwarzer and England keeper David Stockdale is not known.

Stockdale could be pushing for a loan move after being named on the bench for Fulham's first three Premier League games this season.

Bolat joined Standard Liege from Racing Genk for a fee of just 150,000 euros in the January 2009 transfer window, on a four-and-a-half-year contract.

Bolat is the only goalkeeper ever to score a goal in open-play in the Champions League, which he managed with as late header in a 1-1 draw against Alkmaar in 2009.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/Fulham/Turkish-keeper-in-Cottage-link-1467986.html?#.UFHkrEK_wds

WhiteJC

Fulham fight off competition for cut-price midfielder deal

FULHAM were hugging themselves with glee when Giorgos Karagounis cost them a bargain £500k this week – and that includes the Greece captain's wages.

His country's hero for a decade also turned down last season's surprise package in the Champions League, Apoel Nicosia, as well as lesser-known OFI Crete for a cut-price last stab at glory in the Premier League on a one-year-deal.

Ostensibly, Karagounis takes over the role vacated by Mousa Dembele, or considering the Greek's age, more fittingly, Danny Murphy.

And although he earlier vowed to end his career at Panathinaikos, Karagounis jumped at the chance when Fulham came in for him.

However, he comes with a warning.
A source close to Panathinaikos said: "It depends on how Fulham use Giorgos as to whether they get the best out of him.

"His enthusiasm for football is undiminished, and he spends hours studying the game. In fact, he's quite an encylopedia on world football – but he is 35."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/09/13/82029-31827660/?#ixzz26MF6RMU7

WhiteJC

Shorey's View

One current Barclays Premier League player who will be paying close attention to Fulham's match against West Bromwich Albion at Craven Cottage on Saturday is Reading's Nicky Shorey.

After a successful loan spell at Fulham during the second half of the 2009/10 season, the left back spent two years at The Hawthorns prior to his summer switch to Reading.

Speaking to fulhamfc.com, Shorey spoke of his fondness for both clubs before predicting a tough encounter between the two sides in SW6 this weekend.

"I enjoyed my time at Fulham immensely and it's a really good Club with great fans," said Shorey. "Sometimes when you go on loan it can be hard but the supporters took to me right away and it was a really successful period when I was there.

"Obviously I couldn't play in the UEFA Europa League but we also did well in the Premier League. I've got very fond memories of Fulham and I've always enjoy returning to Craven Cottage. It's the same for West Brom. They're both very good clubs that are well run so I thoroughly enjoyed my time at both clubs.

"I know a few of the players at Fulham really well, especially Steve Sidwell, who I played with at Reading. Obviously a few players moved on late in the transfer window but I still feel with the quality they have at Fulham, and the way they play, they'll enjoy another solid season again."

West Brom will arrive at the Cottage in high spirits following an unbeaten start to the new season.

"West Brom's start to the season has been unbelievable but that came as no surprise to me because they had a great squad last year," said Shorey. "The players they've brought in have fitted in well and gelled really well together.

"When you look at West Brom's squad they've got some really good players who have really come on so the start they've made this season hasn't been a shock to me.

"It will be a really interesting game this weekend, especially with West Brom going so well. Craven Cottage is a very difficult place to go irrespective of recent form.

"It's always tough at the Cottage and the fans get right behind Fulham. It's a quirky little ground but West Brom will be going there full of confidence. It will be an intriguing contest on Saturday."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/13/shoreys-view?

WhiteJC

Fulham are the benchmark for West Bromwich Albion, says head-coach Steve Clarke

Steve Clarke has highlighted Saturday's opponents Fulham as the perfect team that West Brom should be looking to emulate.

The Cottagers are an established Premier League club with European aspirations having reached the Europa League Final in 2010 under former Baggies boss Roy Hodgson.

Clarke is well aware of the fine work that has been achieved at the west London club in recent years having worked and played for neighbours Chelsea.

He believes that Albion would do no harm trying to replicate what they have achieved but understands it will be harder given their greater financial clout.

"They have acquitted themselves really well in the Premier League," he said.

"They are an established Premier League club and that's what we're aiming for here.

"They are probably run slightly different to the way the chairman runs things here. But they are a good benchmark.

"They're a team that has come through the leagues, they spend money without over-spending, and they've managed to put together a really good squad of players that is competitive in the Premier League."

Fulham's season got off to a flying start as they beat Norwich 5-0 on the opening day of the season.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2012/09/13/fulham-are-the-benchmark-for-west-bromwich-albion-says-head-coach-steve-clarke-97319-31823578/?#ixzz26MFjQTIn

WhiteJC

Gera eager for Cottage comeback

Midfielder fit and hoping to convince Clarke to start him against old club

ZOLTAN Gera is relishing a return to Fulham on Saturday (ko 3pm) – and hopes he has done enough to convince Steve Clarke to start him against his former club.

The Baggies head to London with the midfielder eager to break back into the team after being an unused substitute in the two league games since his opening-day wonder strike in the 3-0 win over Liverpool.

And Gera insists he is fully fit for the challenge at Craven Cottage, where he spent three successful seasons, after overcoming an Achilles niggle while on international duty with Hungary.

"I had a little problem with the Achilles, which is why I came off in the first international game after 45 minutes," he said.

"The game was over as it was 2-0 at half-time so it was better to come off and prepare for the next game.

"I'm okay now because I had good treatment, and there is no problem.

"I played almost a full game on Tuesday and I felt good.

"There is no issue and the plan is to train as normal building up to the weekend.

"I'm looking forward to playing against Fulham and seeing my old friends because I had a good three years there.

"When the fixtures came out the first games I looked for were the ones against Fulham.

"I was disappointed I couldn't play against them last season.

"I have very good memories from Fulham and I was happy there.

"It is a similar club to West Brom. It is friendly and there are very, very good people around the club."

Gera insists he is happy to remain patient for his first-team chances as he gets back up to full speed after spending the majority of last season on the sidelines with cruciate knee damage.

And he was delighted to get two more caps for his country under his belt over the last week – the first of which made him Albion's record international appearance maker – surpassing Stuart Williams' 33 for Wales.

"I came back from a long injury," he added.

"I had the chance to play in the first game against Liverpool and scored.

"I didn't play in the next two league games but I don't need to rush and I want to be patient.

"Of course, players always want to play, and I'm no different.

"I want to play as much as I can, as long as I can.

"I just want to improve in training and show to the head coach there is no problem if I need to play.

"The two international games were good for me and I feel fitter and stronger than when I played in the first game of the season.

"I'm just looking forward to playing again for Albion.

"I've played 75 times for Hungary in total now and hopefully I can carry on and get more.

"I'm very proud to be top of the Baggies list – it is a good achievement."

Gera was named the Cottagers' 2009/10 Player of the Season, in a campaign where they reached the Europa League final.

He is now hoping those efforts are remembered by the home fans on Saturday as he prepares to face an 11th-placed Fulham side in transition under Martin Jol.

"When you play against your old club you want a good reputation," said the 33-year-old ace, who rejoined the Baggies from the Cottagers in summer 2011.

"I'm sure they will remember the good things about me and I'm not worried about it.

"I'm looking forward to it.

"In the two years since I left the squad has changed a lot.

"The new manager has brought in new players as normal.

"They started well with a 5-0 win over Norwich and then they lost to Manchester United and West Ham away.

"But they still have good players and I think they will finish in a similar position as recent seasons."

http://www.wba.co.uk//news/article/gera-eager-for-cottage-comeback-365500.aspx?&pageView=full#anchored