more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (14/09/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 14, 2012, 08:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham chase Turk

Martin Jol is looking to bring in Turkish goalkeeper Sinan Bolat in the January transfer window, with a view to provide competition to current number one, Mark Schwarzer.

The Standard Liege stopper, according to EatSleepSport, is already in Fulham and speaking to the club with Jol keen to send David Stockdale on loan and ensure ample cover is available for his first choice, Australian 'keeper.

At 24, and already a fully-fledged Turkish international, Bolat has his best years ahead of him and, despite a wealth of goalkeepers already at the club, Jol views Bolat highly enough to bring him to South West London.

Bolat boasts the strange record of being the only 'keeper to ever score a Champions League goal in open play after firing home a header in a 1-1 draw with AZ Alkmaar back in 2009.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/9/13/3325880/fulham-chase-turk-standard-liege-bolat?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham v West Brom

Fulham lost at West Ham last time out but they are a different animal completely at home. I reckon striker Dimitar Berbatov - who will fit in well at Craven Cottage - will start.

Berbatov had some things to say about his treatment at Manchester United but everyone's entitled to their opinion. He felt he was under-used. Another thing about the Bulgarian is that United want to play at a higher tempo than he is comfortable with.

He is the best walking footballer I have ever seen. He is also a player that needs to be loved. As parting shots go it wasn't that bad. You don't expect him to chase back and close people down; it's not his style. You basically have to give him the ball and get people around him as he makes things happen.

West Brom have made a really good start. Manager Steve Clarke has done very well after stepping up from his previous roles as a number two. He couldn't have wished for a better start.

They played very well at Tottenham and sneaked a win over Everton. They will be delighted and he will be hoping it continues.

Prediction: 2-1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19500230

WhiteJC

Karagounis signs!

Quiet times at CCN, for which we apologise slightly. It's always the way around international breaks.

The main news is Martin Jol's response to the fans' "Midfield Black Hole" concerns: an ancient Greek. Giorgos Karagounis, to be exact, 35 year old acclaimed midfielder from the same metaphorical scrap-heap that delivered Mahmadou Diarra and Jari Litmanen.

The funny thing about Karagounis is that despite winning 120 caps for Greece, his career is remarkably trophy free. He won a Greek league as a youngster, and Euro 2004 with the National team, but then only won another trophy when Panathinaikos went on a spending splurge a couple of years back. In a long career in what we might unkindly call a second tier footballing nation, one might have expected more trophies.

But no. However, people say that Karagounis played well at the recent European Championships, so this is good news. I don't know if he'll be expected to start or just to lend some Olivier Dacourt style gravitas to the Motspur Park canteen, but in any case, he's another person who can notionally play in midfield if Diarra and Sidwell do get hit by that bus, so for that we must be somewhat happy.

https://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/09/13/karagounis-signs/?

WhiteJC

Gera Hoping For Fulham Return

Zoltan Gera has said he is hoping he has, and will, do enough in training to convince Steve Clarke to start him against his former club, Fulham.

Speaking to wba.co.uk Gera said he had overcome the Achilles issue whilst on international duty, so he is fit and raring to go if called upon.

'I had a little problem with the Achilles, I'm okay now because I had good treatment, and there is no problem. I played almost a full game on Tuesday and I felt good. I'm looking forward to playing against Fulham because I had three good years there, I was disappointed I couldn't play against them last season.'

Read more: http://www.wba.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=293208#ixzz26QV2BvdO

WhiteJC

Not Ready Yet

West Bromwich Albion are our opponents at Craven Cottage this Saturday and most Cottagers will be wondering whether our latest signing Giorgis Karagounis will play.

One leading tabloid reckons that Martin Jol is keen to throw him straight into the fray but the Greek international is a little more cautious especially as he hasn`t kicked a ball in anger since the Euro 2012 Finals this summer, remarking,

"I can`t wait to get started. But I also need some time to train with the ball."

Will he get some action this Saturday, possibly as a substitute I reckon?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=293211#ixzz26QVEibNi

WhiteJC

Fulham v West Brom (1500)

For so long now, the formula with Fulham games has been simple. Back them at odds-against at home, leave them alone at odds-on, and just take them on away from home. Since they were promoted to the league in 2001, the Cottagers have averaged over nine wins per season in front of their own fans, a ratio that increases to over 10 if we focus on the last four. Put that together with a record of five wins and one draw from six renewals of this fixture, and 21/20 about Fulham looks good business. However, new-look West Brom have played Tottenham, Liverpool and Everton so far this season and have amassed a remarkable seven points from those games. Boss Steve Clarke has really impressed his squad, several of them keen to applaud his desire to keep the ball moving, and a repeat of any of their performances this season would be enough to ensure they don't lose this game. With that in mind, there's a temptation to take the last of the 4/5 about West Brom avoiding defeat, but instead we'll back them to win at 3/1. History is against them, but recent form is much more relevant and although Fulham will relish a return home, three successive defeats followed by an international break isn't the ideal preparation for a tricky fixture.

Verdict: Fulham 1 West Brom 2

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/8076604/black-cats-set-to-purr?

WhiteJC

Fulham v West Brom – Match Preview

After a spectacular 5-0 victory on the opening day, Fulham have lost two in a row and welcome and unbeaten West Brom Albion to Craven Cottage on Saturday.

The Cottagers were drubbed 3-0 at West Ham last time out, having previously put up a good performance losing 3-2 at Old Trafford. They have also found themselves dumped out of the League Cup by Sheffield Wednesday.

With three points from a possible nine, Martin Jol will be no doubt going out for maximum points against the Baggies.

Greek International captain Girogos Karagounis could feature, with Jol having singed the 35-year-old on a free transfer.

"I'm delighted to have signed for Fulham Football Club and I am excited by a new challenge in England and the Barclays Premier League," the former Inter Milan and Panathinaikos midfielder said.
"I'm looking forward to working under Martin Jol and playing alongside some fantastic players at this club."

Fellow new boy Dimitar Berbatov could also be in line for his first start for his new side, while Simon Davies, Bryan Ruiz and Kerim Frei are all expected to be in the squad.

Steve Clarke's West Brom side have made a fantastic start to the campaign, beating Liverpool 3-0 on the opening day, before earning a dramatic point at White Hart Lane.

The Baggies claimed another Merseyside scalp during their last outing, beating Everton 2-0 at the Hawthorns.

Romelu Lukaku is hopeful of returning to the squad having sat out the Everton victory.

"Romelu's injury was the result of a tackle and, to be honest, it was probably a 10-day injury. He just ran out of time to play against Everton," Clarke said.

"It was natural that he would be fit and ready to play for Belgium."

Prediction: Fulham 2-2 West Brom

http://www.footballfancast.com/2012/09/preview/fulham-v-west-brom-match-preview

WhiteJC

Kelly ready to grab Fulham chance

STEPHEN Kelly insists he's champing at the bit to be given the nod against West Brom at home tomorrow.

The Fulham full-back was a regular last campaign but has been a frustrated spectator so far this time around as summer signing Sascha Reither has started the season as first-choice right-back.

Kelly was given a rare outing in Ireland's 4-1 friendly win against Oman at Craven Cottage on Tuesday night.

And with the Whites going into the clash against the Baggies after a run of back-to-back defeats, Kelly hopes he will be given the chance to stake his claim.

He told the Chronicle: "It was good to get 90 minutes under my belt.

"I feel fit, that's never really been a problem with me. I'm champing at the bit to get a game and the chance to show what I can do.

"It was extremely disappointing not to start the season as first-choice. I felt on the back end of last season and how I did in pre-season I would've been given an opportunity as I felt it was my place to lose.

"That wasn't to be so all I can do is perform well in training and when I get my chance I've got to take it.

"We're on the back of two losses so you never know what's going to happen. My record last season spoke for itself we were unbeaten for a long time so hopefully I'll get an opportunity to come back in."

If given the nod, Kelly could come up against international team-mate Shane Long, who scored for his country at Craven Cottage.

And he has warned his fellow Fulham defenders will have to be on their guard against the former Reading frontman.

"I know him [Shane Long] well and know his game," said Kelly.

"I'll be telling our defenders all about him. He's in very good form and causes people problems with his pace and his aerial ability.

"He chases things down other centre-forwards would leave. The lads have been around long enough to know what to expect.

"Longy's a good friend and we've been together for a couple of weeks. It's always interesting when you play against them straight away but when you cross the white line friends become enemies."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/09/14/82029-31833075/?#ixzz26QrOBvK6

WhiteJC

Ridgwell eager to keep Berbatov quiet

West Brom defender Liam Ridgewell is eager to ensure that Dimitar Berbatov's Fulham home debut passes without the Bulgarian dazzling the Craven Cottage faithful.

Ridgewell and his Baggies team-mates know that Berbatov, 31, is determined to make an impression following the departures of Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembele from the London club.

It has been suggested that Berbatov's £4 million move to the Cottagers could be the bargain of the summer as the former Manchester United striker aims to prove Sir Alex Ferguson wrong for allowing him to leave.

Berbatov has been forced to wait to make his presence felt because of the international break - and, if the striker makes his full debut, Ridgewell wants to keep him waiting for a while longer.

"Fulham have a lot of good players, but I am sure he is the one who people will be especially watching," Ridgewell said.

"He's a new face, but everyone knows about him and how good a player he is. You do not play for Manchester United and not be a good player.

"Even though he looks like he's laid back, I don't think Sir Alex Ferguson would have had him at Manchester United if he was a laid-back player."

Berbatov made a low-key debut for Fulham as a substitute in the 3-0 defeat at West Ham, but Ridgewell has painful memories of how effective he can be.

His last encounter with Berbatov ended with the Bulgarian scoring a hat-trick for United against Birmingham City in 2011. "It is sometimes worrying because suddenly he spurts into life, scoring a hat-trick," said Ridgewell.

"So you've got to keep your wits about you. They have a lot of good players at Fulham, and we will all have to be on our game to make sure we stop them."

As well as the threat of Berbatov, history is against Albion, with their previous win in the league at Craven Cottage coming when Jeff Astle and Tony Brown scored in a 2-1 success 45 years ago.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1158735?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Fulham vs West Brom

Team news for Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash between Fulham and West Brom.

Right-back Steven Reid is West Brom's major injury concern for Saturday's Barclays Premier League encounter with Fulham at Craven Cottage.

Reid suffered a hamstring injury during the second half of the 2-0 home success over Everton before the international break.

On-loan Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku has recovered from the ankle injury which kept him out of that match.

However, winger Jerome Thomas, who has missed the first four league and cup games of the season, faces a further lay-off after undergoing minor knee surgery.

Teams

Fulham (from): Will appear here...

West Brom (from): Foster, Myhill, Reid, Olsson, McAuley, Ridgewell, Jara Reyes, Tamas, Dawson, Jones, Dorrans, Yacob, Mulumbu, Morrison, Brunt, Gera, El Ghanassy, Fortune, Long, Rosenberg, Odemwingie, Lukaku.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/match-preview/261594/west-brom-wait-on-reid-fitness?

WhiteJC

Fulham v West Brom preview

Team news for Saturday's Premier League clash between Fulham and West Brom at Craven Cottage.

Right-back Steven Reid is West Brom's major injury concern for the trip to face Fulham.

Reid suffered a hamstring injury during the second half of the 2-0 home success over Everton before the international break.

On-loan Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku has recovered from the ankle injury which kept him out of that match.

However, winger Jerome Thomas, who has missed the first four league and cup games of the season, faces a further lay-off after undergoing minor knee surgery.

Fulham team news to follow...

Fulham (from): Will appear here...

West Brom (from): Foster, Myhill, Reid, Olsson, McAuley, Ridgewell, Jara Reyes, Tamas, Dawson, Jones, Dorrans, Yacob, Mulumbu, Morrison, Brunt, Gera, El Ghanassy, Fortune, Long, Rosenberg, Odemwingie, Lukaku.

http://www.teamtalk.com/match/preview/978/8076736/Fulham-v-West-Brom-preview?

WhiteJC

Steven Reid a major concern for West Brom ahead of Fulham game

Right-back Steven Reid is West Brom's major injury concern for tomorrow's Barclays Premier League encounter with Fulham at Craven Cottage.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/steven-reid-a-major-concern-for-west-brom-ahead-of-fulham-game-8138846.html

WhiteJC

Packed Programme For West Brom

A stellar cast make up the official matchday programme for Saturday's visit of West Bromwich Albion.

The new-look programme - available in both traditional print format and digital - includes exclusive interviews with Martin Jol, Steve Sidwell, Matthew Briggs, Jonathan Greening, Zoltan Gera, Barry Hayles and Les Strong, as well as plenty of other fun and exciting features.

With bespoke content that you won't find anywhere else, the 84-page perfect-bound publication's new spine design also shows a snippet of a picture that is added to with each edition of the programme. By the end of the season, an iconic Fulham picture can be viewed when the programmes are lined up next to each other.

With all the usual news and views from in and around the Training Ground, plus much more besides, the official Fulham FC programme really is the essential matchday accessory. Priced £3.50, it is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off.

Fans can also order copies online as well as subscribing for the season by heading here.

From this season, Fulham have also launched a brand new digital edition of the programme, giving you access to exclusive video content, interviews and highlights from 9am on every home matchday.

Available on your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, and Android devices alongside PC and Mac, the digital edition comes with all the content from the printed programme, including all the regular behind-the-scenes action, features, quizzes and Jol's Manager's column.

But on top of this, readers of the digital programme will be able to view additional videos. This week's content includes video interviews with Jol, Brede Hangeland, Dimitar Berbatov and Kieran Richardson as well as the latest edition of Chicks Predict!

Digital programmes will be available from 9am on the day of the game and will be available for all home league and cup fixtures, meaning fans from across the globe can get ahead of the action if they're unable to attend a game.

What's more, there are a number of features that include:

• Easy to use page turning technology

• Simple content navigation and skip-to-page features

• Interactive content

• Back-dated issues

• Apple users will also have all their issues hosted in one place on Newsstand for easy access

Fulham supporters can subscribe for the whole season for just £24.99 or buy individual versions of the programme for £1.99. The programme is also available via the Pocketmags app on Kindle Fire and Blackberry Playbook.

Click the links below to order your digital programme now.

Apple

Android

PC and Mac

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/14/programme-plug?

WhiteJC

Determined Mood

Stephen Kelly admits he's 'champing at the bit' to regain his First Team place at Fulham.

The Republic of Ireland international has had to be content with a place on the substitutes' bench in Fulham's three Barclays Premier League fixtures so far this season, with Martin Jol opting to use new signing Sascha Riether at right-back.

Kelly did, however, play the full 90 minutes in the familiar surroundings of Craven Cottage as Ireland defeated Oman 4-1 in a friendly on Tuesday night.

"It was good to get 90 minutes under my belt," he said. "I feel fit, that's never really been a problem with me. I'm champing at the bit to get a game and the chance to show what I can do.

"It was extremely disappointing not to start the season as first-choice. I felt on the back end of last season and how I did in pre-season I would've been given an opportunity as I felt it was my place to lose. That wasn't to be so all I can do is perform well in training and when I get my chance I've got to take it."

After the 5-0 opening-day win over Norwich City, the Whites have suffered contrasting defeats in their last two league games; an unlucky 3-2 loss at Manchester United was followed by a disappointing 3-0 thumping at West Ham United.

So Kelly is keeping his fingers crossed that Jol may opt to ring the changes for Saturday's home clash with West Bromwich Albion.

"We're on the back of two losses so you never know what's going to happen," he stated. "My record last season spoke for itself. We were unbeaten for a long time so hopefully I'll get an opportunity to come back in.

"It's going to be a good test because they always play well against us. It's not going to be an easy one and we need to bounce back. Three points isn't too bad a start to the season, going away to Man United no one expected us to get anything but against West Ham we underperformed and never stood up to the physical aspect of it.

"We didn't play well but we need to put things right and get back on track. Hopefully it's going to be us dominating like we do at home and if we can impose our game there's nothing to worry about."

If Kelly does get the nod to start, he's looking forward to doing battle with Ireland teammate Shane Long, who is set to lead the line for the Baggies.

"I know him well and know his game," mused Kelly. "I'll be telling our defenders all about him. He's in very good form and causes people problems with his pace and his aerial ability.

"He chases things down other centre-forwards would leave. The lads have been around long enough to know what to expect.

"Longy's a good friend and we've been together for a couple of weeks. It's always interesting when you play against them straight away but when you cross the white line friends become enemies."

At the other end of the field to Long, Dimitar Berbatov is pushing for his first full start for the Whites following his deadline-day switch from Old Trafford.

Kelly added: "Dimitar's a very good footballer and hopefully he will add to the Team.

"It's going to be interesting to see how these players gel and settle in over the next couple of months but his quality is there. We all know what he's capable of."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/14/determined-mood?

WhiteJC

Fulham - West Brom Preview: Berbatov looks to end Baggies' unbeaten start
The Bulgarian striker is expected to make his first start for the Cottagers but comes up against a visiting side who have started well under new boss Steve Clarke

PROBABLE LINEUPS
FULHAM
Schwarzer
Riether, Hughes, Hangeland, Riise
Duff, Diarra, Sidwell, Richardson
Petric, Berbatov

WEST BROM
Foster
Jones, McAuley, Olsson, Ridgewell
Yacob, Mulumbu
Dorrans, Morrison, Odemwingie
Long

Dimitar Berbatov is in line to make his first Fulham start, with forward Bryan Ruiz (hamstring) still recovering from injury.

Greece's joint record appearance holder Giorgos Karagounis and fellow midfielder Ashkan Dejagah could make their debuts after their transfers from Panathinaikos and Wolfsburg respectively.

Attacker Kerim Frei (pelvis) is doubtful, while centre back Philippe Senderos (foot) is unavailable.

Meanwhile, West Brom could be without right back Steven Reid (hamstring), with Billy Jones his potential replacement.

Goran Popov could instead make his debut at left-back following his arrival from Dynamo Kyiv, with the remaining defenders moved across accordingly.

Winger Jerome Thomas out after surgery (knee), and midfielder Zoltan Gera is doubtful (Achilles), but striker Romelu Lukaku (ankle) could feature after recovering from injury.

DID YOU KNOW?
Fulham recorded the most points at home of any Premier League team outside the top six last season, and have lost just one of their last 11 league matches at Craven Cottage.

West Brom meanwhile have enjoyed their best start to a top flight season since 1978-79, with two wins and a draw, and have lost just one of their last eight Premier League matches.

The Cottagers are unbeaten in their last 13 home matches against the Baggies, but the fixture last season ended in a 1-1 draw, while the game between the two at the Hawthorns finished 0-0.

All six goals Martin Jol's side have conceded so far this season have been netted in the first half.

The west London side have the best shooting accuracy in the Premier League so far, with 80% of attempts on target.

The Midlands outfit have blocked 18 opposition shots, more than any other team in the top flight.

Zoltan Gera (pictured right) returned to West Brom from Fulham last summer, having previously signed for the west London side in 2008. In his first year with the Midlands club in 2004-05 he helped the Baggies avoid relegation on the final day of the season, playing alongside the then on-loan Kieran Richardson, who scored on the day.

Winger Damien Duff played under newly-appointed Baggies manager Steve Clarke at Chelsea from 2003-2006 while Clarke was youth coach and then assistant manager at the Blues, winning two Premier League titles in 2004-05 and 2005-06 before leaving for Newcastle.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/80841/fulham-vs-west-bromwich-albion/preview

WhiteJC

Cottage ace on a comeback mission

Stephen Kelly is hoping Martin Jol hands him a first start of the season for Fulham's home clash with West Brom on Saturday.

The Republic of Ireland international right-back has slipped behind summer signing Sascha Reither in Jol's pecking order so far this season. However, after playing for his country in their 4-1 friendly win against Oman at Craven Cottage on Tuesday, Kelly now has the bit between his teeth to play this weekend when the Premier League returns.

He told the Chronicle: "It was good to get 90 minutes under my belt.

"I feel fit, that's never really been a problem with me. I'm champing at the bit to get a game and the chance to show what I can do.

"It was extremely disappointing not to start the season as first-choice. I felt on the back end of last season and how I did in pre-season I would've been given an opportunity as I felt it was my place to lose.

"That wasn't to be so all I can do is perform well in training and when I get my chance I've got to take it.

"We're on the back of two losses so you never know what's going to happen. My record last season spoke for itself we were unbeaten for a long time so hopefully I'll get an opportunity to come back in."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/cottage-ace-on-a-comeback-mission-1468262.html?

WhiteJC

Visit Bishops Park this Saturday

Before Saturday's home match against West Bromwich Albion, all supporters are invited to Bishops Park. Family Fun Day is back and there are plenty of activities for everyone to get involved in, all free of charge.

Come on down from midday to take part.

Collect your free goody bags
Free goody bags will be available for junior supporters to collect from the giant inflatable football in Bishops Park from midday.
Make sure you arrive early as we only have a limited number to hand out to supporters.

Show off your skills with the Fulham Football Club Foundation
There will be a number of small-sided football matches taking place inside our two inflatable pitches from 12pm. Young supporters are invited to experience an action-packed match where they can showcase their new skills in front of fans heading to the big game.

With no pre-booking required, simply turn up from 12pm and introduce yourselves to our enthusiastic and fully-qualified Foundation coaches. 

Play FIFA 13
Our friends at EA SPORTS are back and they will be bringing down their EA SPORTS Dugout for you to use.

Visit Bishops Park from midday to take on your friends and family at the eagerly anticipated and unreleased FIFA 13 game ahead of its official launch.

Take on the Target Cage and win Fulham prizes
Why not test your accuracy with the Foundation Target Cage and have a chance of winning a fantastic Fulham prize?

One lucky supporter who scores the highest number of points from three shots will win a signed football.

The winner will be contacted on Monday 17th September.

Meet Billy the Badger
Our furry mascot Billy the Badger will be on hand to meet fans. He'll be available to pose for photos in his new Fulham Home Kit.

He's been practising his football skills and can't wait to have a go at some of the activities available. Make sure you're in Bishops Park from midday to meet him!

Face Painting and Balloon Modelling
Show your support for the Whites by getting your face painted in Fulham colours before the match. Come on down to one of our Fulham gazebos in Bishops Park before the game!
Our talented balloon modeller will also be on site to make you anything you like! A mini Billy the Badger, a hat in Fulham colours - or test him out with an idea of your own!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/14/free-activities-in-bishops-park?

WhiteJC

MATCH PREVIEW: Fulham v Albion

Stats and info for Saturday's trip to West London (ko 3pm)

PLD   W   D   L   F   A   GD
HOME   40   22   9   9   86   43   43
AWAY   38   14   8   16   34   52   -18
TOTAL   78   36   17   25   120   95   25

Interesting facts

The Baggies head to Fulham unbeaten in their last four Barclays Premier League away games. Albion last lost on the road in a 4-0 defeat by champions Manchester City in April.

Zoltan Gera returns to Craven Cottage for the first time since joining Albion in August 2011. The Hungary international was voted Fulham's Player of the Year for the 2009/10 season.

Cottagers boss Martin Jol played for Albion between 1982 and 1984, making 67 appearances.

Albion have got off to their best-ever Premier League start with two wins and one draw from their first three fixtures. It is their finest opening to a top-flight season since 1978/79 – 34 years ago.   

Fulham have lost only one of their last 11 home Premier League games, winning eight and drawing two. During that period they have scored 27 and conceded 12 goals.

Last time out

HOME: Barclays Premier League, Saturday, September 24, 2011, Albion 0 Fulham 0

AWAY: Barclays Premier League, Wednesday, February 1, 2012, Fulham 1 (Dempsey 69) Albion 1 (Tchoyi 82)

Form guide (last six league matches)

ALBION: DDLWDW
FULHAM: WWLWLL

Last league match line-ups

ALBION (v Everton – home W 2-0): Foster; Reid (Jones 53), McAuley, Olsson, Ridgewell; Yacob, Mulumbu; Dorrans (Odemwingie 58), Morrison, Fortune; Long (Brunt 76). Subs not used: Myhill (gk), Dawson, Rosenberg, Gera.

FULHAM (v West Ham – away L 3-0): Schwarzer; Riether, Hughes, Hangeland, John Arne Riise; Duff, Diarra, Sidwell, Richardson (Kačaniklić, 60); Petric (Berbatov, 45), Rodallega. Subs not used: Stockdale (gk), Kelly, Baird, Briggs, Kasami

Fulham team news

Martin Jol is hoping to have Bryan Ruiz available for selection after the Costa Rican missed defeats at Sheffield Wednesday and West Ham United with a slight hamstring problem.

Dimitar Berbatov could make his full debut after coming off the bench at Upton Park.

Phillipe Senderos (ankle), Kerim Frei (groin) and Simon Davies (neck) are all long-term absentees for Fulham.

Ref watch

Roger East will referee Saturday's game. The Wiltshire official is refereeing only his second Barclays Premier League game but oversaw the Baggies in last season's 4-1 Capital One Cup victory at Bournemouth. He has dished out one red and 19 yellow cards in seven games this term.

Betting

Selected odds from Bet Butler:

Fulham to win: 11/10

Albion to win: 3/1

Draw: 5/2

Romelu Lukaku to score first: 8/1

Dimitar Berbatov to score first: 13/2

If you fancy a flutter with the club's official online betting partner, click here.

Tickets

This game is sold out.

Listen to live match commentary on Albion Player

Can't get to the Fulham game? Tune in to Albion Player's live, full-match commentary from 2pm. To subscribe, click here.

Follow our live matchday blog

Keep up to speed with all the matchday action and interact with fellow fans on our FREE blog from 2pm.

http://www.wba.co.uk//news/article/match-preview-fulham-v-albion-366688.aspx?&pageView=full#anchored

WhiteJC

Boa Morte: Fulham Is My Club And We Could Be Massive
by LORK on SEPTEMBER 14, 2012

Boa Morte scored an infamous winner against Chelsea

A lot of Fulham fans hold Boa Morte with a lot of affection after giving us six and a half years of skill, aggression, and many magical moments including that goal against Chelsea. Judging from this interview he did with the Official website, it appears to be mutual. Boa Morte's been training at the club to maintain his fitness levels after being released by South African outfit Orlando Pirates and took the time to say a few words. Check out the quotes below.

Boa Morte, who played in a World Cup for Portugal, featured in Fulham's Best Premier League XI, voted for by fans and an accolade he appreciates; he clearly still holds the club in great esteem:

"Thanks to all the supporters who voted for me. Every time I played against Fulham I always got a good welcome from the fans and I'm really pleased with that. In England I played for four clubs; Arsenal, of course, I appreciated because they were the team that brought me to England but Fulham definitely is my team because it was here that I lived all my best moments.

"I would say that winning the Premier League and the FA Cup, and the Charity Shield twice, at Arsenal was massive. And it was good for someone who had just arrived in England to play in the Premier League with big players. That was quite difficult for me but at Fulham I won the Championship – the old Division One – and the Intertoto Cup, which was important as we wanted to play in Europe in the UEFA Cup. Plus all the other moments I lived at Fulham in the six-and-a-half years that I played here and lived here. That was massive for me, so Fulham is definitely my Club in England. "

The 35-year old seems impressed by the steps the club have taken off, as well as on, the pitch since he was last at Motspur Park:

"The Training Ground looks a million dollars. I'm glad that our Chairman has invested a lot in the Club because it looks really nice now. I'm glad that the Club has stepped forward and the place looks really nice and well set up. I was pleased to see that we've got planning permission for the new stand so everything seems to be going in the right direction. I think we could end up being a massive Club."

Boa Morte was disappointed with the result against West Ham – perhaps partly fuelled by the very poor time he spent in claret and blue following his switch from Fulham:

"I watched the match against West Ham but didn't see the game against Norwich – which was obviously a great match – and I watched the match against Manchester United. The Team played really well at Old Trafford – they got beat – but they played really well. The match against West Ham wasn't that good and I was really sad that they didn't beat West Ham United – I really wanted Fulham to win! But, for sure, this weekend against West Bromwich Albion, the players will give the best answer for the defeat against West Ham."

He concedes that his performances dwindled when he left the banks of the Thames, but hopes it doesn't mark our memories of him:

"At the end of the day, after leaving Fulham I never really got back to the levels that I reached here. I hope that the Fulham supporters always remember me as a guy that lived everything on the pitch and always fought for the Club. I always wanted to win but, whatever happened, by the next match I was always ready to play and fight for the result again."

As for what's next, well there's nothing on the horizon:

"I haven't got any immediate plans at the moment. I'm training here with Fulham; last week was with the First Team and this week with the Reserves to just keep fit before I decide what I'm going to do in the future. I haven't hung up my boots but if I have to then that will be a sad day."

Hopefully we see him some time against West Brom!

~lork

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/09/boa-morte-fulham-is-my-club-and-we-could-be-massive/?

WhiteJC

Fulham Focus - Karagounis to give Cottagers short-term stability as well as quality

Having assessed the replacements for Moussa Dembele in the middle of the park after the talismanic Belgian's move to Tottenham, it is fair to say that Martin Jol's options were limited. The Dutchman had either the choice of inexperience in Pajtim Kasami or the stable but hardly inspirational likes of Steve Sidwell. Thus, the signing of veteran Greece international midfielder Giorgos Karagounis on a free transfer this week, although not a complete surprise given the club's lack of creative midfield options, came out of the blue.

Karagounis has quite a prodigious history, having played for the likes of Benfica and Inter Milan on the way to obtaining 120 caps for his country, taking part in their glorious Euro 2004 triumph and captaining them eight years later at Euro 2012. However, at the age of 35 and completely unproven in the Premier League, Martin Jol may have taken a risk in bringing the free agent to Craven Cottage.

However, Jol is a canny manager and will know that Karagounis will hardly be churning out consecutive 90 minute performances week after week. Indeed, he may not even be looking to play the former Greek captain away from home, where Fulham have consistently struggled since their arrival to the Premier League back in 2001. Away from home comforts, Karagounis may be spared for more solidity in the form of Sidwell or Chris Baird alongside Mahamadou Diarra.

However at home, where Fulham under Jol love to come forward and prioritise keeping possession, Karagounis could prove a shrewd signing. He may be 35 but he showed in the Euros that he retains an ability to keep the ball as well as an eye for a creative, defence-splitting pass. Karagounis is also cool in front of goal and showed it as he scored to put Greece into the quarter-finals ahead of favourites Russia.

Furthermore, Karagounis will himself know better than anyone his own limitations. He is experienced enough to know that in the Premier League, reckless dashes forward at his age will come to no avail. Indeed, with the likes of Dimitar Berbatov, Bryan Ruiz and Mladen Petric ahead of him, Jol will perhaps even stress to Karagounis that there is no real need for his body to go forward, simply his passing.

Fulham are quickly gaining a reputation under Jol for being an overwhelmingly attacking side, particularly at Craven Cottage, and opposition defences are beginning to arrive in West London and sit deep in an attempt to deny the home side space. Here, Karagounis can provide the answer with his vision and ability to provide for the likes of Berbatov to wreak havoc.

There is no doubt that Karagounis is not the long term future for Fulham but until a proper replacement can be brought in for Dembele, the Greek legend can at least provide a short-term fix to the issue.

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_1_16688_fulham-focus-karagounis-to-give-cottagers-short-term-stability-as-well-as-quality.html