watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Food Discussion

Started by Steve_orino, April 11, 2010, 05:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RidgeRider

decided to jump in an defend the turkey!

I never buy larger than a 12-13 pounder. I brine mine in water, orange juice, salt, peppercorns, garlic, and rosemary for two days. Then before going into a 325F oven I slather it in olive oil, salt, pepper, and more rosemary and cook it breast side down for 80% of the oven time. Fats and juice will naturally flow with gravity and you will end up with juicy, flavorful, lovely turkey, that you will NEVER let your dog have even a bite. This works no matter the type of turkey but will say I prefer free range as they tend to have more flavor.

Kill the bird! Serve the bird!

finnster01

Quote from: RidgeRider on October 19, 2010, 08:34:34 PM

I never buy larger than a 12-13 pounder. I brine mine in water, orange juice, salt, peppercorns, garlic, and rosemary for two days. Then before going into a 325F oven I slather it in olive oil, salt, pepper, and more rosemary and cook it breast side down for 80% of the oven time. Fats and juice will naturally flow with gravity and you will end up with juicy, flavorful, lovely turkey, that you will NEVER let your dog have even a bite. This works no matter the type of turkey but will say I prefer free range as they tend to have more flavor.

Let me tell you, the one thing I can vouch for is the American's do know how to cook turkey. My girlfriend produced the juiciest turkey last Thanksgiving with fantastic crispy and brown skin on top. I have no idea what she did, but whatever it was, it sure was the business. Stuffing (not the package one, but home made, apples and fruits etc), freshly made cranberry sauce (the real thing, not the paste nonsense out of the cans). She probably spent two full days making it (including the prep). Just fantastic. Good shout Mr RR.  :045:

The only problem I have with American turkey is that it is always served on Thanksgiving (end of Nov for us who only remember the Empire where the sun never sets), making Christmas and New Years a matter of dodging even more turkey...

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

RidgeRider

Quote from: finnster01 on October 19, 2010, 11:06:25 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on October 19, 2010, 08:34:34 PM

Let me tell you, the one thing I can vouch for is the American's do know how to cook turkey. My girlfriend produced the juiciest turkey last Thanksgiving with fantastic crispy and brown skin on top. I have no idea what she did, but whatever it was, it sure was the business. Stuffing (not the package one, but home made, apples and fruits etc), freshly made cranberry sauce (the real thing, not the paste nonsense out of the cans). She probably spent two full days making it (including the prep). Just fantastic. Good shout Mr RR.  :045:

The only problem I have with American turkey is that it is always served on Thanksgiving (end of Nov for us who only remember the Empire where the sun never sets), making Christmas and New Years a matter of dodging even more turkey...

I am like her. I make my own cranberry sauce with fresh cranberries, fresh special one, local mandarin oranges, brown sugar or local honey, and secret spices along with homemade dressing from cornbread I make myself. It is tasty and does take two days.

We've been experimenting with other foods on Christmas eve but always fall back to the turkey on Christmas Day as well. LOTS of leftovers. :)

TheDaddy

Just asked the dearly beloved whats for christmas dinner Turkey crown so there shouldn't be to much left.Bread sauce off the menu cant stand it.Jo is more of your cake maker.Should be Rock cakes , Cream and Strawberry sponge and a dirty great big Chocolate cake lovely.Cant miss out the nuts walnuts,brazil and a few Hazelnuts for the evening...
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Logicalman

I just want to congratulate all those on the exiles portion for creating such a bloody great thread. Who'd have thought a food thread would be so popular, but I find myself checking it regularly for the different recipes people put on here, so much food for thought.

Thanks for the Turkey recipe Mr RR, and that dialogue between Fred and Daddy regarding the school food took me right back. One thing we used to have as children, but I haven't found in the US is the Lardy-Loaf, cut warm with a dollop of butter -and that was a good snack.

YankeeJim

The easiest way to roast a juicy turkey is with a brown paper bag. Yes, a brown paper bag. Lather the bird in either olive oil or butter, stuff the cavity with onion & place it breast up into the bag. Roll the end of the bag up and place in a suitable pan. I usually buy those cheap foil ones which makes clean up a snap. The moisture rises is captured by the paper bag and it drips down onto the breast. Simplicity itself.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

finnster01

Quote from: YankeeJim on October 25, 2010, 04:08:58 PM
The easiest way to roast a juicy turkey is with a brown paper bag. Yes, a brown paper bag. Lather the bird in either olive oil or butter, stuff the cavity with onion & place it breast up into the bag. Roll the end of the bag up and place in a suitable pan. I usually buy those cheap foil ones which makes clean up a snap. The moisture rises is captured by the paper bag and it drips down onto the breast. Simplicity itself.

Mr Jim,

What temp and for how long please?

We have our own way of doing it but I find the American bird tastier (in all aspects of the word) :wine:

Jimpav

Going back to smoked salmon and scrambled egg. I can recommend serving it with a bit of avocado if you are having a late breakfast works really well together.

YankeeJim

Mr. Finn,
I just use the recomendations on the wrapping. Generally about 325 @ about 20 minutes a pound plus 20 minutes. The drumstick should be a little loose when you wiggle it.

If the bag has any markings on it, place that side down. One year we used a Safeway bag and the ink on the Safeway S left it's imprint on the breast.  Made quite a hit as I recall.

An additional benefit of the bag is that it keeps things moist so if you need to leave it in the oven for a bit, just turn the temp down & keep the bag closed. I use those throw away aluminum foil pans. You can slide it over the edge of the sink and poke a hole in the bottom & catch the drippings to make gravey.  :wine:

finnster01

So yesterday the lady did her chili again.

I know you Texans take your chili very seriously and it is not a joking matter (and full respect to that BTW), but for an eastern born and bred city New Yorker my lady can flat out cook and I am still licking my chops this morning. I will have to sneak in to the fridge for a little b-fast before she wakes up... I mean how good is the chili if I am planning on breaking into the vault at 4:58 in the morning NY time? :045:

duffbeer

Quote from: YankeeJim on October 31, 2010, 10:37:07 PM
Mr. Finn,
I just use the recomendations on the wrapping. Generally about 325 @ about 20 minutes a pound plus 20 minutes. The drumstick should be a little loose when you wiggle it.

If the bag has any markings on it, place that side down. One year we used a Safeway bag and the ink on the Safeway S left it's imprint on the breast.  Made quite a hit as I recall.

An additional benefit of the bag is that it keeps things moist so if you need to leave it in the oven for a bit, just turn the temp down & keep the bag closed. I use those throw away aluminum foil pans. You can slide it over the edge of the sink and poke a hole in the bottom & catch the drippings to make gravey.  :wine:

No No No Yankee, the foil pan is totally wrong if that is how you make your gravey.  You need the browned and carmelized bits that are stuck to your pan to flavor the gravy, they add the most flavor.  Remove the turkey and pan juices (set them aside), put the roasting pan over two burners, and use broth, sherry or wine to deglazed the pan.  Once all that flavor is off the pan and in your deglazing liquid set it aside and use it with the liquid you add to the gravy roux

YankeeJim

You are certainly correct. My bad. I left out that after you drain the liquid, you let it set so that the grease rises to the surface. Ladle it off. Then, having moved the bird to the cutting board and letting the poor dear rest for ten minutes, you scrap the pan, mix with the drippings, bring to a simmer, season to taste and if necessary, thicken it with either flour or corn starch, again to taste.

(I didn't want to lose my audience. I figured Finny's girlfriend would know all that. I don't see him doing the cooking.  :005:) 

finnster01

Quote from: YankeeJim on November 02, 2010, 12:49:15 AM

(I didn't want to lose my audience. I figured Finny's girlfriend would know all that. I don't see him doing the cooking.  :005:) 

Quite correct Sir. I leave all that to the professionals  :011:

Logicalman

Quote from: finnster01 on November 02, 2010, 03:01:38 AM
Quote from: YankeeJim on November 02, 2010, 12:49:15 AM

Quite correct Sir. I leave all that to the professionals  :011:

:yellow:  That's not from me Mr Finn, that's from my boss here who just read that comment  :011:  :011:

finnster01

Based on our resident sausage expert on his post on the main board who seems to have branched out into omelets, I pose the question: If you could make any omelet using any 4 ingredients what would that be? (I have excluded eggs and cheese as it would hardly be an omelet without it)

So my 4 would be:
Ham
Peppers
Mushroom
and Jalapeños (to wake up properly)

That would be a feast.

What is your choice?

YankeeJim

I'd drop the peppers in favor of onions but would be satisfied with your recipe in a pinch.

fulhamwannabe

yummmmmmmmmmmm!just finished a nice tasty couscous  :024:

pettyfog

Quote from: finnster01 on November 05, 2010, 05:17:14 AM
If you could make any omelet using any 4 ingredients what would that be? (I have excluded eggs and cheese as it would hardly be an omelet without it)

So my 4 would be:
Ham
Peppers
Mushroom

What is your choice?

Leave out Mushroom, what's the purpose of them, anyway other than a jones for something slimy in yer mouf.. {I was raised in a house of mushroom eaters and was the only one of six cant stand them, or oysters, either.}

Course chopped onion, instead.
Instead of Jalapeño, I prefer a liberal dollop of Medium hot salsa on the side.  Drag the forkfull through it.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: finnster01 on November 05, 2010, 05:17:14 AM
Based on our resident sausage expert on his post on the main board who seems to have branched out into omelets, I pose the question: If you could make any omelet using any 4 ingredients what would that be? (I have excluded eggs and cheese as it would hardly be an omelet without it)

So my 4 would be:
Ham
Peppers
Mushroom

That would be a feast.

What is your choice?

My mum does one with bacon, fried spuds,onions and Mushrooms and it's the Dogs , actually she also has tomatoe but that obviously makes five.

RidgeRider

my favorite has:

chorizo
avocado
onion
jalapeno
monterey jack cheese
sour cream

I'm hungry!!!